Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 14th Jan 18, 12:54 PM
    • 2,236Posts
    • 1,629Thanks
    Alexland
    Orbis 100 match offer - Now Ended
    • 14th Jan 18, 12:54 PM
    Orbis 100 match offer - Now Ended 14th Jan 18 at 12:54 PM
    Hi

Firstly, promise I am just a customer of Orbis and not being paid or asked to plug this - I think it's a really good offer so I am bringing it to the attention of the group. Orbis are contrarian value investors and when investing your capital is at risk so this won't be for everyone.

Orbis Access are again running their invest 100 for a year and get a matched 100 offer but the current offer expires on Mon 22nd Jan (or Sun 21st Jan for ISA transfers). However this time they have extended it to (1) existing customers and (2) general investment accounts.

My wife and I recently opened GIAs with 100 and they invested the matched 100 within a couple of days. She also got 100 earlier in the year from opening an ISA. To avoid bonus clawback the money needs to be invested in one of their 2 funds (they are focused) for at least a year.

I invested 4028 with Orbis in my son's Junior ISA earlier this tax year, they added 100 (to hit the ISA limit) and it's currently grown by over 500 so total return including bonus of around 15%. He is currently 100% in their Balanced fund but spent some of the period in the Equity fund. It's very hard to compare the risk with traditional 60/40 balanced funds as Orbis use equity hedging to minimise the use of bonds to control volatility.

https://www.orbis.com/uk/individual/index.html

https://static.orbisaccess.co.uk/public/114.3.53/media/1063528/orbis-access-matched-investment-offer-terms-conditions.pdf

Orbis are unique in only deducting a management fee on their 2 funds when outperforming the benchmarks and refunding when they underperform. In the meantime the fees sit inside reserve account for each fund from which Orbis draw their costs. The reserve accounts are currently looking well funded for if Orbis encounter a period of underperformance in their unashamedly active management strategy.

Also on the Junior ISA any contributions in the first 12 months (which can be 2 full tax years of allowance plus any transfers in of Junior ISA or CTF accounts) go into fee-free units until the child is 18. The snag is that you cannot switch between the 2 funds after 12 months without loosing the fee-free unit status. However any additional units you add after 12 months (subject to the annual Junior ISA contribution limit) would switch first. Also when the dividends pay each year you will end up reinvesting them into normal units after the first 12 months.

Alex
    Last edited by Alexland; 22-01-2018 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Updated title
Page 9
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 31st Jan 18, 9:31 PM
    • 1,588 Posts
    • 1,329 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    Bonus now credited as a pending order as of this evening
    Originally posted by fun4everyone
    Glad to hear that it all got sorted.
    • firestone
    • By firestone 9th Feb 18, 11:31 AM
    • 189 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    firestone
    I know its only a week or so but out of interest was just wondering if any anyone who took the deal had any thoughts as to whether the Two Orbis funds have performed better against funds they were already in seeing as its been mainly a downward trend?
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 9th Feb 18, 12:11 PM
    • 2,611 Posts
    • 7,605 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    I hadn't looked (as it doesn't matter) but I have now had a check and it is down 7% since I signed up and my SIPP (which has been running a few weeks longer) is down less than 5%.
    It has to go down a lot further to eat away to bonus
    • firestone
    • By firestone 9th Feb 18, 12:29 PM
    • 189 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    firestone
    I hadn't looked (as it doesn't matter) but I have now had a check and it is down 7% since I signed up and my SIPP (which has been running a few weeks longer) is down less than 5%.
    It has to go down a lot further to eat away to bonus
    Originally posted by MallyGirl
    is a short time but it was more out of interest after reading back over some old threads today but your right it is a bit academic but wondered if anyone had compared them to other Global or MA funds and how they had held up- good luck with the bonus
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 9th Feb 18, 1:27 PM
    • 2,236 Posts
    • 1,629 Thanks
    Alexland
    Obviously it depends when you invested but according to the latest YTD data from AJ Bell:

Orbis Global Equity is down 5.27% and Orbis Balanced is down 3.32%.

For comparison the ever popular VLS100 is down 5.70% and VLS60 is down 4.07%

Orbis Balanced fund may be doing relatively well because it is only 20% bonds plus 20% equity hedging - the equity hedging should work well if both equities and bonds are going down at the same time.

Interestingly Fidelity World is only showing as down 3.30% even though the MSCI World benchmark (the same benchmark as Orbis uses) is down 5.96%. Some of the differences in these values could be due to the valuation point as we are suffering sudden movements so new investors will need to hold on tight.

Alex.
    Last edited by Alexland; 09-02-2018 at 2:02 PM. Reason: Added Fidelity World detail.
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 9th Feb 18, 9:09 PM
    • 1,588 Posts
    • 1,329 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    I know its only a week or so but out of interest was just wondering if any anyone who took the deal had any thoughts as to whether the Two Orbis funds have performed better against funds they were already in seeing as its been mainly a downward trend?
    Originally posted by firestone
    Orbis down 4.4%, rest of portfolio down 5.5%. Not a lot in it, really.
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 3rd Mar 18, 2:27 PM
    • 2,236 Posts
    • 1,629 Thanks
    Alexland
    Despite the adverse market conditions I see the two Orbis funds are both still beating the popular VLS, HSBC and Blackrock Consensus funds on YTD performance.

I asked and Orbis confirmed they will be running the 100 matching offer again on at least ISAs at the end of this tax year and start of next tax year so we might get a chance to earn a 5th bonus from my ISA for next year.

Alex
    • thenewcomer
    • By thenewcomer 3rd Mar 18, 9:04 PM
    • 82 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    thenewcomer
    Despite the adverse market conditions I see the two Orbis funds are both still beating the popular VLS, HSBC and Blackrock Consensus funds on YTD performance.

I asked and Orbis confirmed they will be running the 100 matching offer again on at least ISAs at the end of this tax year and start of next tax year so we might get a chance to earn a 5th bonus from my ISA for next year.

Alex
    Originally posted by Alexland
    surely if you already had an ISA bonus with orbis, you cannot get it again?
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 3rd Mar 18, 9:25 PM
    • 2,236 Posts
    • 1,629 Thanks
    Alexland
    I haven't had an ISA bonus yet. My wife and I have had GIA bonuses, she has had an ISA bonus and my son has had a Junior ISA bonus so only 400 so far.

If we had a second child and they were running the offer again it would be good to get to 600. I keep trying!
    • Ed-1
    • By Ed-1 3rd Mar 18, 11:17 PM
    • 2,178 Posts
    • 1,164 Thanks
    Ed-1
    surely if you already had an ISA bonus with orbis, you cannot get it again?
    Originally posted by thenewcomer
    You can get it on a new ISA with them and therefore you can get it once a year.
    • thenewcomer
    • By thenewcomer 4th Mar 18, 12:13 PM
    • 82 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    thenewcomer
    thanks ed. i guess i will keep my options open then
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 4th Mar 18, 12:33 PM
    • 2,236 Posts
    • 1,629 Thanks
    Alexland
    I am not sure if they allow you to open a new ISA if you already hold an existing ISA though.

Let's wait and see the terms of the offer when they release it.
    • cjv
    • By cjv 4th Mar 18, 2:26 PM
    • 199 Posts
    • 99 Thanks
    cjv
    I opened a GIA with them for the 100 bonus. My S&S ISA is currently with vanguard, but I am considering stopping contributions for a while so I can save more in cash for a potential property purchase.

I might transfer over to them from vanguard if they off another 100 bonus for ISA's, at least that way I can earn a little more while I am not contributing regularly.

I will keep an eye on this.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,625Posts Today

8,751Users online

Martin's Twitter