Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • hardtimes
    • By hardtimes 13th Jan 18, 9:46 PM
    • 341Posts
    • 69Thanks
    hardtimes
    Buying a car in England
    • 13th Jan 18, 9:46 PM
    Buying a car in England 13th Jan 18 at 9:46 PM
    Hi
    Just looking for ideas on cheapest way to bring a car from England back to NI?
    Thanks
Page 1
    • Milko
    • By Milko 14th Jan 18, 11:19 AM
    • 622 Posts
    • 366 Thanks
    Milko
    • 14th Jan 18, 11:19 AM
    • 14th Jan 18, 11:19 AM
    If you don't need it back by a specific date, then getting some of the car transporter guys to lift it for you is always a good option. Basically when they've an empty or (space available) lorry returning you get them to lift the car for you. Used to be around £200 - £300 but haven't checked in some time.
    CCRS in Bangor
    Woodsides in ?
    McGimpseys in Bangor

Personally, I prefer to fly over & drive back via Cairnryan. Could also work out less expensive depending on flight & ferry prices. You also get a good drive in the car to test it out.
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 14th Jan 18, 11:33 AM
    • 3,630 Posts
    • 1,886 Thanks
    ballyblack
    • 14th Jan 18, 11:33 AM
    • 14th Jan 18, 11:33 AM
    Try to buy a car with manufactutrers warranty remaining. Long way to bring it back to fix stuff.

If you are buying private I assume you know all the pitfalls, con artists out there?

If your driving it back need to be insured and taxed

Last edited by ballyblack; 14-01-2018 at 12:53 PM.
    • RikM
    • By RikM 14th Jan 18, 2:00 PM
    • 608 Posts
    • 325 Thanks
    RikM
    • 14th Jan 18, 2:00 PM
    • 14th Jan 18, 2:00 PM
    The last time I did it, they delivered the car to Cairnryan port, and I took it from there. That was buying ex-lease, with an AA inspection, mind you. I don't think I would have risked it otherwise.

So I had to factor one passenger ride and one car crossing into the delivery.

That was also prior to the current taxing regime, I'm not clear how it would work now (can you tax online immediately?).
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 23rd Jan 18, 8:36 PM
    • 11,101 Posts
    • 29,660 Thanks
    suki1964
    • 23rd Jan 18, 8:36 PM
    • 23rd Jan 18, 8:36 PM
    We use Parkers in Ballycastle. It depends where abouts in England as to cost. Getting one over this week from Kent and it's £300
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 25th Jan 18, 11:12 AM
    • 16,750 Posts
    • 9,934 Thanks
    motorguy
    • 25th Jan 18, 11:12 AM
    • 25th Jan 18, 11:12 AM
    Last time i did it, i used Woodsides. I think i paid around £200 door to do but that was some years ago. It took about a week to 10 days.

"Safest" way, is as has already been pointed out, to buy a car still under manufacturers warranty.

Alternatively Charles Hurst are owned by Lookers and Agnew Group by Sytners so their warranty would be transferable to the local dealers here (but check first!).
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • mount merrion
    • By mount merrion 25th Jan 18, 12:26 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    mount merrion
    • 25th Jan 18, 12:26 PM
    • 25th Jan 18, 12:26 PM
    I bought an Audi in a private sale last year in England. Got a flight to England picked the car up and got the Liverpool boat back. Cost me less than 200 all in but i got really cheap flight and a deal on the boat.
    • 2minutestomidnight
    • By 2minutestomidnight 12th Feb 18, 1:48 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    2minutestomidnight
    • 12th Feb 18, 1:48 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 1:48 PM
    Fly in and drive back.stena etc do good deals if you ring them, rather than online.
    • qwert yuiop
    • By qwert yuiop 12th Feb 18, 6:42 PM
    • 2,287 Posts
    • 1,385 Thanks
    qwert yuiop
    • 12th Feb 18, 6:42 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 6:42 PM
    How much could you expect to save on a run of the mill car? Has anyone any figures?

I hear a lot of talk about a car Supermarket in Manchester.
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 12th Feb 18, 7:09 PM
    • 16,750 Posts
    • 9,934 Thanks
    motorguy
    How much could you expect to save on a run of the mill car? Has anyone any figures?

I hear a lot of talk about a car Supermarket in Manchester.
    Originally posted by qwert yuiop
    You can do a nationwide search on Autotrader, as well as a local search, so from there you can see how variance there is for any given car.

Some cars are a bit cheaper, some are a bit more expensive. It can be regional across the length of the mainland too.
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • qwert yuiop
    • By qwert yuiop 12th Feb 18, 11:44 PM
    • 2,287 Posts
    • 1,385 Thanks
    qwert yuiop
    You can do a nationwide search on Autotrader, as well as a local search, so from there you can see how variance there is for any given car.

Some cars are a bit cheaper, some are a bit more expensive. It can be regional across the length of the mainland too.
    Originally posted by motorguy
    So no consistent major price advantage?
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 13th Feb 18, 9:38 AM
    • 16,750 Posts
    • 9,934 Thanks
    motorguy
    So no consistent major price advantage?
    Originally posted by qwert yuiop
    Not that i've seen, no.

I've heard of people coming to NI to buy specific cars and take them back to the mainland.

Do an autotrader / usedcarsni search for NI cars only of the specific make / model / year / miles / spec you're looking sort and sort by lowest price then do a national search on autotrader and see how comparable cars look.

Bear in mind also that a car in a used car supermarket somewhere wont necessarily be as well prepared as say, a car bought here from a franchised dealer.
    Last edited by motorguy; 13-02-2018 at 9:41 AM.
    • qwert yuiop
    • By qwert yuiop 13th Feb 18, 12:40 PM
    • 2,287 Posts
    • 1,385 Thanks
    qwert yuiop
    Not that i've seen, no.

I've heard of people coming to NI to buy specific cars and take them back to the mainland.

Do an autotrader / usedcarsni search for NI cars only of the specific make / model / year / miles / spec you're looking sort and sort by lowest price then do a national search on autotrader and see how comparable cars look.

Bear in mind also that a car in a used car supermarket somewhere wont necessarily be as well prepared as say, a car bought here from a franchised dealer.
    Originally posted by motorguy
    A few years ago, a dealer from London was picking up all the high end vehicles at wilson’s auctions in portadown - jaguars, Mercedes etc. must have been a flooded market for them here then.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

847Posts Today

6,461Users online

Martin's Twitter