Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Heedtheadvice
    • By Heedtheadvice 13th Jan 18, 8:41 PM
    • 833Posts
    • 387Thanks
    Heedtheadvice
    Win 10 multiple logins ????...there was only me!
    • 13th Jan 18, 8:41 PM
    Win 10 multiple logins ????...there was only me! 13th Jan 18 at 8:41 PM
    Just started recently (passed week or so) when logged in as a user, finished activities, closed windows, and come to 'shut down' (fully not sleep) seem to frequently get the message that another user is still logged in "Someone else is still using this PC....." etc.

Cannot fathom out why. Happens even though from switch on/boot only one user has been logged in (though it may be that admin login has been used sometimes to run things that need admin rights like a fresh install of Malwarebytes this evening).

This afternoon I went through a process, having had the message, and logged in/out as all users in turn and all was fine...until this evening's session!

Have done a virus scan and also run Malwarebytes and nothing untoward showing up. There are three user account plus admin and it does not seem to matter which user account is 'active' at the time of the error message.

Any ideas?
    Also when logged in as admin is it possible to see who else is supposedly logged in too?

TIA
Page 1
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 13th Jan 18, 8:55 PM
    • 8,202 Posts
    • 5,959 Thanks
    esuhl
    • 13th Jan 18, 8:55 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 8:55 PM
    I don't use Win10, but some services are often run under as a user with limited privileges for security reasons.

It sounds like there's a service that has crashed (or simply takes a long time to shut down) that is running under a different user account.

Maybe looking at a list of usernames on your system, or the task run by all users in task manager will help work out what's going on...?
    • Lorian
    • By Lorian 13th Jan 18, 8:58 PM
    • 4,358 Posts
    • 2,478 Thanks
    Lorian
    • 13th Jan 18, 8:58 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 8:58 PM
    When it happens run task manager and click on the "users" tab. you'll see who's logged in.

(you can press ctrl-alt-delete and select Task Manager)

its the sort of indication that should be properly looked in to.7

make sure all the user account on the machine are known to you, and maybe change passwords as a precaution.
    • Lorian
    • By Lorian 13th Jan 18, 9:13 PM
    • 4,358 Posts
    • 2,478 Thanks
    Lorian
    • 13th Jan 18, 9:13 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 9:13 PM
    You could also look at log-on events in the past.

Start Event Viewer and look under:

Windows Logs -> Security
    • Heedtheadvice
    • By Heedtheadvice 14th Jan 18, 12:11 PM
    • 833 Posts
    • 387 Thanks
    Heedtheadvice
    • 14th Jan 18, 12:11 PM
    • 14th Jan 18, 12:11 PM
    Thanks for those posts (I must be getting very forgetful !)
    I should be able to clarify if and then identify if second user is logged in....or it is something else!
    • Heedtheadvice
    • By Heedtheadvice 21st Jan 18, 9:53 PM
    • 833 Posts
    • 387 Thanks
    Heedtheadvice
    • 21st Jan 18, 9:53 PM
    • 21st Jan 18, 9:53 PM
    Well, a fair time on, done nothing, .....and the problem has not returned!

Ah well.....
    • Heedtheadvice
    • By Heedtheadvice 9th Mar 18, 12:20 PM
    • 833 Posts
    • 387 Thanks
    Heedtheadvice
    • 9th Mar 18, 12:20 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 12:20 PM
    BUMP on update......

It has happened again and looking as advised on task manager it is showing another of the PCs users ( a known user logged in yesterday) as 'Disconnected'.

Can anyone advise how that has come about or even what it specifically means?
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 9th Mar 18, 12:48 PM
    • 3,648 Posts
    • 2,856 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 9th Mar 18, 12:48 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 12:48 PM
    Normally we see this if a user is logged on, locks the computer and then another user (you) comes along and clicks another user account to log in.
    ie the other account hasnt logged off..

You can also get this info by typing 'query session' into command prompt.

could this be the case here ?
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • UncleZen
    • By UncleZen 9th Mar 18, 1:28 PM
    • 598 Posts
    • 211 Thanks
    UncleZen
    • 9th Mar 18, 1:28 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 1:28 PM
    I mentioned this on a post here recently.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5799709
    AFAICT its a bug that was introduced with a recent update, there s a lot of people complaining about it if you search the internet
    • Heedtheadvice
    • By Heedtheadvice 9th Mar 18, 1:55 PM
    • 833 Posts
    • 387 Thanks
    Heedtheadvice
    Thanks Andy.
    In this case your suggestion does not seem to be what is happening for me.

From machine being shutdown, logged on, done some work and machine shutdown.

Other user goes through the same process and this time the 'another user is logged on' message appears when shutdown is requested. At this time the user list shows the 'other user' as "disconnected".
    If user logs off first prior to the pc then being shutdown the problem is not obvious.

I conclude that shutdown is not logging off the user that instructs shutdown.

It does seem to be as Uncle suggests. I.e. for whatever reason a change in functionality.
    ....maybe (if there is not a setting that can be changed) at the next update.......
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 9th Mar 18, 2:53 PM
    • 3,648 Posts
    • 2,856 Thanks
    AndyPix
    Hmm ..

Can you tell me, if you shutdown the computer by using commend prompt

shutdown /p

Do the symptoms still occur ??

Also, you can try tunring off the option to let windows use your log in information "to finish off setting up your machine after an update" - that might get it ..

Settings => sign in options
    Last edited by AndyPix; 09-03-2018 at 2:57 PM.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 9th Mar 18, 3:33 PM
    • 3,041 Posts
    • 2,199 Thanks
    Tarambor
    BUMP on update......

It has happened again and looking as advised on task manager it is showing another of the PCs users ( a known user logged in yesterday) as 'Disconnected'.

Can anyone advise how that has come about or even what it specifically means?
    Originally posted by Heedtheadvice
    Its caused by the way Windows 10 "shuts down." Unlike previous versions of Windows, when you hit the shutdown it works more like hibernate used to on previous versions so that when you start your PC Windows starts up faster. What this means is that people who were logged in previously don't get classed as logged out when it was shut down previously and drives are still classed as mounted which can cause issues with those of us who dual boot into Linux and want to do something on a Windows partition.

It is possible to return it to the normal functionality used in previous versions by going into Power Management and turning off fast start up:

1. Search for and open “Power options” in the Start Menu.
    2. Click “Choose what the power buttons do” on the left side of the window.
    3. Click “Change settings that are currently unavailable.”
    4. Under “Shutdown settings” make sure “Turn on fast startup” is disabled.

Downside is Windows will take longer to start, not a problem if you have a SSD drive though.
    Last edited by Tarambor; 09-03-2018 at 3:35 PM.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 9th Mar 18, 3:53 PM
    • 3,648 Posts
    • 2,856 Thanks
    AndyPix
    ^^ Of course Why didnt I think of that !!
    • Heedtheadvice
    • By Heedtheadvice 9th Mar 18, 9:13 PM
    • 833 Posts
    • 387 Thanks
    Heedtheadvice
    Thank you. I'll give that power option a go......
    • that
    • By that 10th Mar 18, 10:40 AM
    • 225 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    that
    Go to MS, download the sysinternals suite. In there you will find PROCEXP and PROCEXP64, which is like a task manager on steroids. Run this as admin.

In the options box make sure Verify Image signatures is ticked, and directly below is Virus Total click this and tick Check VirusTotal.com. Tick Show Processes from all users.

Under View, choose Select Columns, Virus total should be ticked, tick User Name too

At first glance the most important columns are: Virus Total, and Verified signer.

the Virus Total should be all blue, but if any are red and the count is like 2/68 then in is still probably safe.

For Verified Signer expect most to be ms, intel. Expect the verifier to be Avira, if you use avira but you should be able to recognise the verifier with the product. The possible problem ones are '(No signature was present in the subject)', but these still could be good and valid software written by a small developer who did not have the time or resources to get it verified, but they could also be rogue too.

You can also right click on an entry, choose properties, Image tab as this tells you the file location and startup command

You will probably find nothing, and when I had this, was windows updates.
    Last edited by that; 10-03-2018 at 10:43 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

443Posts Today

4,834Users online

Martin's Twitter