Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • littleredhen
    • By littleredhen 13th Jan 18, 6:15 PM
    • 3,080Posts
    • 3,333Thanks
    littleredhen
    Preparing for university
    • 13th Jan 18, 6:15 PM
    Preparing for university 13th Jan 18 at 6:15 PM
    My dd will hopefully be going to university in September, I would like to start getting a few things in preparation for her living in halls, what kind of things should I buy and where are the best deals, we live in Scotland, thank you
    The mind is like a parachute. It doesnít work unless itís open.

A winner listens, a loser just waits until it is their turn to talk
Page 1
    • lika_86
    • By lika_86 13th Jan 18, 6:20 PM
    • 1,263 Posts
    • 4,598 Thanks
    lika_86
    • 13th Jan 18, 6:20 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 6:20 PM
    Don't buy anything until you know where she's going and what she'll need. Better to start putting a bit of money away for stuff closer to the time. However, having said that, hold off on throwing away anything that might be useful - duvet that is being replaced for example.
    • ska lover
    • By ska lover 13th Jan 18, 7:42 PM
    • 2,752 Posts
    • 6,696 Thanks
    ska lover
    • 13th Jan 18, 7:42 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 7:42 PM
    Good advice from Lika

I would wait too, to see the exact rules and regulations of her halls, and what is provided

Some halls won't let you bring any electricals because they wont have been pat tested by them but others are fine and will pat test students property after moving in

Mosts parents seem to go well over the top, bear in mind that most halls of residence bedrooms are pretty small
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 14th Jan 18, 12:48 AM
    • 38,615 Posts
    • 35,342 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 14th Jan 18, 12:48 AM
    • 14th Jan 18, 12:48 AM
    As a veteran of the 'you are not seriously suggesting that we can put all this stuff in the car and still leave room for you' years, this is another vote for not buying much now.

Two of mine went to Warwick which has a very handy superstore just on the edge of campus. Bedding and kitchen equipment all on special offer in September / October. Most universities would have reasonable access to similar provision.

More important than 'stuff' is life skills, so - as I've said before - mine were all left to do their own laundry once they hit sixth form. That way you learn not just HOW to use the washing machine, but WHEN, ie before you put your last pair of clean pants on.

They also had an allowance from which they needed to withdraw cash to buy their own bus tickets and lunches (or make them at home).

And even before that they'd all learned to cook and would prepare food for the family.

They could also prep the shopping list for me: I had a list with everything we used regularly and their job was to check level of supplies against that list and note what we needed. Any time they were in the supermarket with me I'd get them working out best VFM.

By all means start a little savings pot for 'stuff', but make sure the life skills are well bedded in as well ...
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself ...
    Current projects: Poppies, mohair cardigan pattern arrived and going strong!
    • bluebear36
    • By bluebear36 15th Jan 18, 4:56 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    bluebear36
    • 15th Jan 18, 4:56 PM
    • 15th Jan 18, 4:56 PM
    My dd will hopefully be going to university in September, I would like to start getting a few things in preparation for her living in halls, what kind of things should I buy and where are the best deals, we live in Scotland, thank you
    Originally posted by littleredhen
    Advise her not to take anything too expensive with her. Her roommate (if sharing) will probably be fine, but people will be in and out of her room frequently, and there is bound to be someone with sticky fingers.
    • lika_86
    • By lika_86 16th Jan 18, 10:44 AM
    • 1,263 Posts
    • 4,598 Thanks
    lika_86
    • 16th Jan 18, 10:44 AM
    • 16th Jan 18, 10:44 AM
    Advise her not to take anything too expensive with her. Her roommate (if sharing) will probably be fine, but people will be in and out of her room frequently, and there is bound to be someone with sticky fingers.
    Originally posted by bluebear36
    Really?! Nobody was 'in and out of' my room at university. The only people who came in my room were invited friends.

Also a roommate is unlikely in the UK.
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 16th Jan 18, 4:51 PM
    • 4,282 Posts
    • 9,656 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    • 16th Jan 18, 4:51 PM
    • 16th Jan 18, 4:51 PM
    Whether your child is going to be getting meals cooked for them or self-catering will inform what they take to an extent. I came away with some old pots and plastic plates that my parents used in their touring caravan when I went to uni.

As for no electricals and PAT, I imagine the average 18 year old is going to pretty mortified if the university won't let them plug in the charger for their smartphone! Never mind the laptop or computer to actually do their uni work on.

Really?! Nobody was 'in and out of' my room at university. The only people who came in my room were invited friends.

Originally posted by lika_86
    Shared rooms were pretty much unknown when I was at university as well.

Seems to be an American thing. No-one came in to my room unless I invited them.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 16th Jan 18, 7:05 PM
    • 1,901 Posts
    • 2,035 Thanks
    Kim_13
    • 16th Jan 18, 7:05 PM
    • 16th Jan 18, 7:05 PM
    Not all accommodation will provide the same things, e.g. Some basic accommodation might not have a toaster included, but the newer ones may have everything, including sanitary waste bins for the en-suite and even those cutlery storer things you have in a drawer (not sure of the name.)

The individual bedrooms can be locked so really the only issues with valuables going missing will arise if a student forgets to lock their door when they go out.

Food thefts on the other hand are a different matter. My advice is to keep anything that doesn't need to be kept in the kitchen in the bedroom.
    Sealed Pot 11 #520 ~ /£100
    VSP 2018 #9 ~ £19.55/£180.00
    CCCC 2018 #1 ~ £20.75/£180.00
    • bluebear36
    • By bluebear36 16th Jan 18, 9:29 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    bluebear36
    • 16th Jan 18, 9:29 PM
    • 16th Jan 18, 9:29 PM
    Whether your child is going to be getting meals cooked for them or self-catering will inform what they take to an extent. I came away with some old pots and plastic plates that my parents used in their touring caravan when I went to uni.

As for no electricals and PAT, I imagine the average 18 year old is going to pretty mortified if the university won't let them plug in the charger for their smartphone! Never mind the laptop or computer to actually do their uni work on.

Shared rooms were pretty much unknown when I was at university as well.

Seems to be an American thing. No-one came in to my room unless I invited them.
    Originally posted by onomatopoeia99
    The halls at my university 20 years ago were a mix of rooms for 1 or 2 people. The 2 person rooms were cheaper per person so were popular. I know one of my course friends had great problems with her roommate inviting all and sundry into their room. So no, not solely an American thing!
    • bluebear36
    • By bluebear36 16th Jan 18, 9:31 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    bluebear36

Maybe times have changed because shared rooms were very common at my university.

Edit, I've just looked at the accommodation for my uni and they still offer twin rooms. I suspect a lot of other unis are the same.
    Last edited by bluebear36; 16-01-2018 at 9:36 PM.
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 17th Jan 18, 12:57 PM
    • 594 Posts
    • 711 Thanks
    need an answer
    I would second the idea of putting a little money aside to buy the things needed a little nearer the time.

It really does differ from uni to uni and also from accommodation to accommodation.

Some places had single beds,some doubles so it's not even as generic as saying buy a duvet.
    We did find however that around August just before uni starts there are some good sales in the homeware sections of Tesco so you are able to pick up a lot of the stuff needed.

bedding including pillows and duvet.(we sent ours off with 2 sets of covers and pillowcases to ease washing.)
    Towels
    basic saucepans and a small selection of trays and casserole dishes.
    tea towels
    cutlery
    crockery
    small amount of cleaning materials,capsules for washing powder work well as its usually communal washers/dryers
    basic food stuff,pasta rice,sauces tins of food,soups are all good things to consider.

places like wilkinsons are also a good place to buy reasonable quality without spending too much money.

I now have a student in the second year so first year was quite recent,it's also worth remembering that whist it feels that they are going miles away,they are still going to be living near shops ans as such quite enjoy going out together once they are there buying the things they need.
    (hence a further prompt back at the idea that you perhaps look at not buying too much up front now)

it's exciting times ,but don't get carried away buying too much stuff until you know where they are going,or indeed if they are going(things can change vey last minute )

good luck to you all.
    in S 32 T 32 F 47
    out S 46 T 33 F 40
    2017 -32
    • ska lover
    • By ska lover 17th Jan 18, 2:29 PM
    • 2,752 Posts
    • 6,696 Thanks
    ska lover
    Really?! Nobody was 'in and out of' my room at university. .

Yes

Some residents of flats in the halls operate a more open door policy, and more social with neighbouring rooms popping in and out to visit.

Room mates are common place in the UK
    Last edited by ska lover; 17-01-2018 at 2:33 PM.
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
    • FabFifty
    • By FabFifty 17th Jan 18, 2:43 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 92 Thanks
    FabFifty
    Best things my sons took to university - a bottle opener and a corkscrew (or combine both in a waiters friend).
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 17th Jan 18, 5:33 PM
    • 19,438 Posts
    • 45,101 Thanks
    peachyprice
    Best things my sons took to university - a bottle opener and a corkscrew (or combine both in a waiters friend).
    Originally posted by FabFifty
    Lol, my daughter has already said she's going to buy several of each so she can be known as 'the girl with the corkscrew/bottle opener'.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 17th Jan 18, 5:35 PM
    • 19,438 Posts
    • 45,101 Thanks
    peachyprice

Food thefts on the other hand are a different matter. My advice is to keep anything that doesn't need to be kept in the kitchen in the bedroom.
    Originally posted by Kim_13
    You can buy fridge lockers now!

https://www.wellindal.co.uk/home/bigbuy/cold-lock-stock-fridge-locker?r=4899888106388&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI65OCjsTf2 AIVGt0bCh3xlQ36EAQYAiABEgLPtPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • CruisingSaver
    • By CruisingSaver 17th Jan 18, 7:26 PM
    • 373 Posts
    • 1,051 Thanks
    CruisingSaver
    My daughter is also (hopefully! ) off to uni this year. As others have said life skills are important so budgeting, washing, and cooking are what we're focusing on.

I've bought a couple of student cookbooks for my DD called Nosh for Students along with the veggie version. The recipes look easy to do and are well within the usual student budget. She's already had a go at a few of them and will carry on doing this through the summer.
    • littleredhen
    • By littleredhen 17th Jan 18, 7:32 PM
    • 3,080 Posts
    • 3,333 Thanks
    littleredhen
    thanks for all suggestions, she has been doing own washing etc but unfortunately has quite bad mental health issues, I am concerned about her taking medication etc.
    She may even be in 2nd year at uni as she is doing a course at a private college this year so may not even be in halls.
    The mind is like a parachute. It doesnít work unless itís open.

A winner listens, a loser just waits until it is their turn to talk
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 17th Jan 18, 8:56 PM
    • 38,615 Posts
    • 35,342 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    Originally posted by FabFifty
    With my eldest, it was his juggling equipment! I was a bit worried for him when I saw his room pretty much opened into the communal kitchen, I thought he'd find it a bit too lively, but I needn't have worried.

We went to visit at half term so his younger brothers could see where he was, and his juggling equipment had spread out all over the kitchen and communal area. It made for a good talking point.

thanks for all suggestions, she has been doing own washing etc but unfortunately has quite bad mental health issues, I am concerned about her taking medication etc.
    She may even be in 2nd year at uni as she is doing a course at a private college this year so may not even be in halls.
    Originally posted by littleredhen
    oooh, that could be tricky. However if she has additional needs, it's worth finding out what support services are available.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself ...
    Current projects: Poppies, mohair cardigan pattern arrived and going strong!
    • meer53
    • By meer53 18th Jan 18, 12:23 PM
    • 9,190 Posts
    • 13,329 Thanks
    meer53
    My daughter is off to Uni this year too. She's told me she has everything in hand so i'm going to leave her to it. She knows how to wash, cook, catch buses/trains, and shop and change the bed. Crack on is what i say ! She'll only be an hour away so i won't worry. She won't be cast adrift on an island, i did it when i was her age and i survived. I'm looking forward to the peace
    • cannyscot
    • By cannyscot 18th Jan 18, 7:32 PM
    • 1,016 Posts
    • 726 Thanks
    cannyscot
    Save not buy
    Hi Little red hen

I would second putting money away rather than buying anything, unless you come across and good deal on a laptop and she doesnt have one.

My child is in first year and there have been lots of incidental costs. I bought bedding etc and did not need half of it-too hot!

extra costs were for illness -put together a small kit from home bargains, subscriptions and for organised activities and freshers week( was a fortune -a ticket alone was £75 before extras, then events and extra clothes for events and activities.

if possible insure phone and laptop for loss and damage .

Most money we spent on clothes but maybe if already at college then not so much to buy.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,025Posts Today

7,942Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LaraLewington: ...and mine suggested I'd achieved a lifelong ambition of being sawn in half by a magician - at our wedding. Wasn't. Don?

• We are working on it - I think BA has behaved awfully on this. Those flight were no obviously a glitch. It should? https://t.co/8pvtXtUEqi

• RT @thenicolabryant: Absolutely. We need mental health and financial health as advocated my @MartinSLewis , to be taught in schools. So muc?

• Follow Martin