Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • Liverman1974
    • By Liverman1974 13th Jan 18, 6:05 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Help please
    • #1
    • 13th Jan 18, 6:05 PM
    Help please 13th Jan 18 at 6:05 PM
    Ok so I was discharged from bankruptcy on 6 Jan 2018. During my bankruptcy the insolvency practitioner was seeking to obtain money from my ex wife out of the equity in our joint home. Am not sure whatís happening with that as my ex and I donít speak .
    My questions is this .. she has just served papers on me to sort out the financial side of the divorce . If the insolvency practioner was unable to get the money from her ( which equates to my half of equity ) then where does that leave me in relation to me then claiming my fair share . She is trying to bleed me dry and as it stands wants my pension as I have no other assets . So any help would be great thank you
Page 1
    • KeepOnKnitting
    • By KeepOnKnitting 14th Jan 18, 8:41 AM
    • 155 Posts
    • 223 Thanks
    • #2
    • 14th Jan 18, 8:41 AM
    • #2
    • 14th Jan 18, 8:41 AM
    It sounds like you maybe need a solicitor for your divorce.
    If your wife was a housewife while you were working, she is allowed to claim some of your pension pot. If she hadn't been staying at home married to you, she could have been earning her own pension. Equally if you had stayed married, your pension would have supported you both in retirement.

    The Official Reciever cannot touch your pension.
    Save £12k in 2018 #62
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 14th Jan 18, 1:32 PM
    • 37,302 Posts
    • 157,150 Thanks
    • #3
    • 14th Jan 18, 1:32 PM
    • #3
    • 14th Jan 18, 1:32 PM
    Generally the OR leaves dealing with property until after 2 years of bankruptcy. So it may be that she is still in negotiation with the OR over buying out the OR's beneficial interest in the property.

    Is your name still on the mortgage? You don;t want a situation where arrears post bankruptcy mess up your clean slate.

    If you can't speak to her, you can certainly speak to the OR.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,910Posts Today

8,246Users online

Martin's Twitter