Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Risnog
    • By Risnog 13th Jan 18, 5:56 PM
    • 13Posts
    • 4Thanks
    Risnog
    Recycling- tenants rights. Advice needed
    • 13th Jan 18, 5:56 PM
    Recycling- tenants rights. Advice needed 13th Jan 18 at 5:56 PM
    I moved into a flat a few months ago and it doesn't offer recycling opportunities. My tenancy is through an estate agent and I appreciate it says there isn't recycling in the contract. However, in this day and age, why not?
    It's a 12 block flat and I see the recycling truck passing daily.
    The estate agents keep fobbing me off saying the council won't let them, but council workers have said I can. Now the estate agents have come back saying no because it attracts rats- we have normal bins though.

Do I have any rights here? It seems so wrong not recycling!
Page 1
    • anselld
    • By anselld 13th Jan 18, 6:03 PM
    • 5,762 Posts
    • 5,443 Thanks
    anselld
    • 13th Jan 18, 6:03 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 6:03 PM
    There are no rights.
    However, if the Council will give you a bin and there is somewhere sensible to put it for storage and collection then you don’t need permission, just do it.
    • Slithery
    • By Slithery 13th Jan 18, 6:04 PM
    • 721 Posts
    • 1,129 Thanks
    Slithery
    • 13th Jan 18, 6:04 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 6:04 PM
    If you're that concerned then why not take yours to the local recycling centre?
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 13th Jan 18, 6:07 PM
    • 3,844 Posts
    • 5,288 Thanks
    Nick_C
    • 13th Jan 18, 6:07 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 6:07 PM
    The council has rights - it can specify the numbers and types of containers that residents must use, and what types of waste are prohibited and allowed in each type of container.

You could ask your Council to pursue this, but you will probably upset the agent in the process.
    • HampshireH
    • By HampshireH 13th Jan 18, 6:08 PM
    • 700 Posts
    • 745 Thanks
    HampshireH
    • 13th Jan 18, 6:08 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 6:08 PM
    Which in itself is amazing when else where you can be fined for not recycling.

All councils should give the opportunity to recycle.

However you could also go to local recycle banks if you are that keen.
    • WorkingTowardsDebtFree
    • By WorkingTowardsDebtFree 13th Jan 18, 6:24 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 54 Thanks
    WorkingTowardsDebtFree
    • 13th Jan 18, 6:24 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 6:24 PM
    This would normally be a Council decision, not for estate agents or landlords. However, blocks of flats can sometimes have slightly different rules because of accessibility, cost to the council, if the properties are on private roads, etc.

Contact the Council and ask them, they will tell you the way things are. If they don't currently want you to or allow you to recycle at your property, ask if there are any future plans to allow you to.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 13th Jan 18, 6:28 PM
    • 2,663 Posts
    • 3,409 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 13th Jan 18, 6:28 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 6:28 PM
    A recycle truck passes daily?
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 13th Jan 18, 6:30 PM
    • 1,813 Posts
    • 1,963 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    • 13th Jan 18, 6:30 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 6:30 PM
    The management agency would probably have to pay for the bin and might not want to do that.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 13th Jan 18, 6:33 PM
    • 3,844 Posts
    • 5,288 Thanks
    Nick_C
    • 13th Jan 18, 6:33 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 6:33 PM
    The management agency would probably have to pay for the bin and might not want to do that.
    Originally posted by Fireflyaway
    That would depend entirely on the council and the type of bin they deemed to be appropriate.
    • theartfullodger
    • By theartfullodger 13th Jan 18, 6:36 PM
    • 9,586 Posts
    • 12,899 Thanks
    theartfullodger
    Recycling truck passing every day?? That isn't for residential properties.

You (yes, YOU!) the occupant have the right to use such recycling facilities/bins that the council make available. You (I sincerely hope..) pay council tax, get your money's worth!

It nothing really to do with the tenancy, the landlord or the agent. (Except there's probably a clause about behaving normally).

Recycle away! It's fashionable!
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 13th Jan 18, 6:47 PM
    • 3,844 Posts
    • 5,288 Thanks
    Nick_C
    Recycling truck passing every day?? That isn't for residential properties.
    Originally posted by theartfullodger
    Could well be if OP lives on a route to a depot or transfer station.

Some properties get their recycling bins emptied multiple times a week.

Bins at local recycling centres are sometimes emptied by lorries doing domestic collections. It's all household waste. They could even be mixing household waste and commercial waste in the same vehicle if they have microchips in their trade bins and on-board weighing.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 13th Jan 18, 7:32 PM
    • 7,092 Posts
    • 5,851 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    The estate agents keep fobbing me off saying the council won't let them, but council workers have said I can. Now the estate agents have come back saying no because it attracts rats- we have normal bins though.
    Originally posted by Risnog
    If its your council who collect your waste they should encourage you to recycle. Does the agent manage the whole block? What do the other residents want to do?

As items intended for recycling are expected to be clean they are much less likely to attract rats than general waste. I suspect whoever manages the property has assumed recycling will cause problems at the storage area.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 13th Jan 18, 7:42 PM
    • 1,812 Posts
    • 2,441 Thanks
    NeilCr
    Hmm

First up. I am all for recycling.

I live on a communal estate and am one of the directors. I am pleased to say we have communal recycling bins. That!!!8217;s the good side. The bad side is what people, actually, put in them. In general, if some residents didn!!!8217;t keep an eye on the bins they!!!8217;d likely never be cleared. However much you put up notices and the council label the bins folks just lob what they want in the nearest bin. A few weeks back we had a deckchair in the plastic waste!
    Last edited by NeilCr; 13-01-2018 at 9:43 PM. Reason: Didn’t read the OP properly
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 13th Jan 18, 9:26 PM
    • 25,300 Posts
    • 93,040 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Have you checked whether the council vehicle could come onto your property if it's on a private road?

Our council do not allow collections from private roads, due to restrictions with insurance.
    If you are finding huge gaps between your paragraphs and use Firefox, MSE know about the problem. However, they aren't necessarily doing anything about it yet....
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5844460
    • G_M
    • By G_M 13th Jan 18, 9:31 PM
    • 44,415 Posts
    • 52,721 Thanks
    G_M
    Waste collection, whether for landfll or recycling, is a matter for the council.

It iss nothing to for with your landlord, or the lettting agent. Stop hassling them about something that is outside their control!

Speak to the waste department at the council.

If a recycling truck passes daily, it is either a commercial collection from local businesses, or it is on a return route to a nearby recycling centre from weekly/fortnightly rounds in other areas. It is not doing a daily residential collection from your area.
    Last edited by G_M; 13-01-2018 at 9:34 PM.
    • Ms Chocaholic
    • By Ms Chocaholic 13th Jan 18, 9:37 PM
    • 9,376 Posts
    • 57,698 Thanks
    Ms Chocaholic
    Do your neighbours recycle?
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till The End

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 13th Jan 18, 9:49 PM
    • 1,812 Posts
    • 2,441 Thanks
    NeilCr
    Have you checked whether the council vehicle could come onto your property if it's on a private road?

Our council do not allow collections from private roads, due to restrictions with insurance.
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    OP says they have “normal bins” which I assume are general waste and are collected by the council. Is this so OP and do you have communal or individual bins?

It’s a good question about whether or not it is a private estate, though.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 14th Jan 18, 12:00 AM
    • 25,300 Posts
    • 93,040 Thanks
    Davesnave
    OP says they have “normal bins” which I assume are general waste and are collected by the council. Is this so OP and do you have communal or individual bins?

It’s a good question about whether or not it is a private estate, though.
    Originally posted by NeilCr
    On the private estate I'm thinking of, all the 'normal' bins need to be taken at least 100m to the public road. Each household also has up to 4 other bins for sorted recycling, making a potential total of 75 bins to be moved!

In reality, that number of containers isn't achieved, but a considerable effort is still involved. One can see why a management might be reluctant to engage with recycling if access is an issue.
    If you are finding huge gaps between your paragraphs and use Firefox, MSE know about the problem. However, they aren't necessarily doing anything about it yet....
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5844460
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 14th Jan 18, 12:19 AM
    • 1,980 Posts
    • 2,943 Thanks
    shortcrust
    Hmm

First up. I am all for recycling.

I live on a communal estate and am one of the directors. I am pleased to say we have communal recycling bins. That’s the good side. The bad side is what people, actually, put in them. In general, if some residents didn’t keep an eye on the bins they’d likely never be cleared. However much you put up notices and the council label the bins folks just lob what they want in the nearest bin. A few weeks back we had a deckchair in the plastic waste!
    Originally posted by NeilCr
    My bins are on the pavement outside my house and I get all sorts of stuff put in them. A child's pushchair was the latest. I once got a load of wet grass clippings. Not in a bag or anything. Just straight in the bin.
    • stator
    • By stator 14th Jan 18, 12:28 AM
    • 6,295 Posts
    • 4,177 Thanks
    stator
    This is the type of issue you should contact your local councillors about.
    They will look into the issue, get real answers from the correct department at the council and they may contact the rental agency for real answers. You could even contact the local paper, if it's a slow news week. However you also have to consider whether stiring up trouble might get you kicked out when your tenancy ends.

If it's an old block of flats there might not be room for 12 green wheelie bins alongside the other waste.
    Or it might be that due to some odd legacy issue the council don't collect waste from your property at all and the building management company have commercial waste collections instead that they pay for. This would be very different from a council collection because commercial recycling requires all items to be separated into specific containers for different materials, and if the materials are mixed up the collection company may charge extra fees. Plus they will charge for each recycling collection. So for the sake of 12 flats, the company may have decided that it's cheaper to just pay for the whole lot to go into general waste.

Do you know how your waste is collected? Does it get picked up by a commercial waste collection company or the council? Do all 12 flats put their rubbish into one of those large dumpsters, or do you each have wheelie bins?
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

443Posts Today

4,834Users online

Martin's Twitter