Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kevinjm79
    • By Kevinjm79 13th Jan 18, 4:48 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Kevinjm79
    Faulty Samsung TV/John Lewis
    • 13th Jan 18, 4:48 PM
    Faulty Samsung TV/John Lewis 13th Jan 18 at 4:48 PM
    I purchased a 4K Samsung TV from John Lewis online in June 2016.! The screen was faulty from the purchase date and the TV was replaced the following month.

A further screen fault developed in October 2016 and the screen was replaced. The screen has again gone faulty this past month and was replaced for a second time. The current screen is faulty and John Lewis are going down the path of repair once more.

My limited understanding of the Consumer Rights Act 2015 is that given the failed repair and replacement, regardless of whether that occurs within the first six months or otherwise (TV is under a 5 year warranty), I should now be entitled to envoke my final right to reject whereby the retailer would offer a refund adjusted for fair usage.

The John Lewis customer helpdesk agent informed me that the final right to reject only applied to failures occurring within the six months then outwith this time, it is at the discretion of the retailer on how to proceed and the CRA is only used for guidance. They said they would not offer a partial refund (adjusted for fair usage) while it is still economically viable for them to persist with repairs.

Can anyone please advise what my options are here?
Page 1
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 13th Jan 18, 5:09 PM
    • 3,831 Posts
    • 6,626 Thanks
    Fosterdog
    • 13th Jan 18, 5:09 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 5:09 PM
    John Lewis are wrong, the CRA is not guidance only, it is the law and you are correct that you do have the final right to reject because it has already had more than one repair. They can require you to prove the fault is inherent but otherwise they cannot reject your rejection.

Get back to them and insist on the refund (as you said reduced for uasage). If they say no just send them a letter before action.
    • bris
    • By bris 13th Jan 18, 7:07 PM
    • 7,652 Posts
    • 6,661 Thanks
    bris
    • 13th Jan 18, 7:07 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 7:07 PM
    To go down the CRA route you need to prove the fault is inherent, they don't have to do anything until you do, so you can forget the above advice as it's nonsense with the proof.

If you can prove this (good luck with that) then they can give you a partial refund so you won't get a full refund.
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 13th Jan 18, 7:32 PM
    • 3,831 Posts
    • 6,626 Thanks
    Fosterdog
    • 13th Jan 18, 7:32 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 7:32 PM
    To go down the CRA route you need to prove the fault is inherent, they don't have to do anything until you do, so you can forget the above advice as it's nonsense with the proof.

If you can prove this (good luck with that) then they can give you a partial refund so you won't get a full refund.
    Originally posted by bris

Really? The above advise is nonsense? Even though I said the exact same thing as you? Did you miss the part where I said they can require you to prove the fault is inherent? Even though it doesnít sound like they are disputing the fault nor the fact that itís inherent they are just trying to insist on a further repair which OP does not have to accept and would actually have a very strong case against them.
    • Kevinjm79
    • By Kevinjm79 13th Jan 18, 9:00 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Kevinjm79
    • 13th Jan 18, 9:00 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 9:00 PM
    Appreciate the replies. Where I've left it is JL are going back to the repair company with photographic evidence of the fault concerning the latest panel. I may be in good standing if they acknowledge the new panel is also faulty but if they advise the unit is performing within acceptable parameters, I'm unsure how I'd proceed.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,658Posts Today

9,394Users online

Martin's Twitter