Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • matt0706
    • By matt0706 13th Jan 18, 4:44 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    matt0706
    Getting a mortgage while in a Debt Management Plan
    • 13th Jan 18, 4:44 PM
    Getting a mortgage while in a Debt Management Plan 13th Jan 18 at 4:44 PM
    Hi,

My wife & I are in a Debt management plan and we currently rent. My parents are looking to dispose of some of their estate and have said they will gift us some money but only as a deposit for buying a house. Well have 15% to put down.

Does anyone have any experience of getting a mortgage while in a DMP? Im concerned about going to an unknown broker wholl charge lots of fees but not get us a mortgage.

So any recommendations of good trustworthy brokers or lenders that may be able to help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Page 1
    • ACG
    • By ACG 13th Jan 18, 5:08 PM
    • 17,042 Posts
    • 8,928 Thanks
    ACG
    • 13th Jan 18, 5:08 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 5:08 PM
    Only pay the fees on offer or completion?
    A broker will discuss their fees and when they are charged with you before doing anything. They will also give you a terms of business which confirms in writing when they are charged.

There are lenders out there who will consider you, but ti will depend on how it all appears on your credit reports, so make sure you get those upfront.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • srisport
    • By srisport 14th Jan 18, 12:51 PM
    • 172 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    srisport
    • 14th Jan 18, 12:51 PM
    • 14th Jan 18, 12:51 PM
    Im afraid i can't help with regards to your DMP, but what i can tell you is that we are currently going through the FTB process on our first home and I've had meetings with:

TSB - AIP confirmed
    Santander - Mortgage rates/fees discussed
    Independent Broker 1 - Mortgage rates/fees discussed
    Independent Broker 2 - Mortgage rates/fees discusses

Non of the above meetings have cost us a penny except for our own time (1-2hr per meeting). Were even thinking about setting a meeting with a 3rd Broker to see what they can offer.....

As a FTB, I would highly recommend setting up meetings with brokers/Mortgage Advisors. Ive used friends/family for reccommendations and my own research to gain knowledge in an area i know little about.

As ACG has said, speak to a broker. It should cost nothing to talk and has certainly helped me understand the Mortgage process a lot better, and giving me confidence

HTH

Kind Regards.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

90Posts Today

1,872Users online

Martin's Twitter