Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • Andyph
    • By Andyph 13th Jan 18, 3:26 PM
    • 32Posts
    • 14Thanks
    Wife has passed away, Joint tax credits cancelled now have to claim UC|
    • #1
    • 13th Jan 18, 3:26 PM
    Wife has passed away, Joint tax credits cancelled now have to claim UC| 13th Jan 18 at 3:26 PM
    Afternoon all,

    Just after some advice / support please. Back in July my wife was diagnosed with terminal cancer, we have 2 kids under 8 so i have been off work to look after them and my wife. I was paid full pay till mid oct and since then been on SSP.

    My wife passed away on the 22nd December, today i received a letter saying that our joint claim is cancelled and that i know need to claim UC in my name, also need to claim Child benefit as that was in my wife's name as well.

    I am unable to go back to my full time job due to the hours and being able to look after my boys - i am currently signed of sick and will probably signed off again for a while longer. I intend to try get a part time job in school hours.

    So as it stands i have, i believe been told i am not going to get anymore housing benefit / child tax credit so this month all i am going to get is my SSP until my UC is sorted?

    to add to this my earnings for this year were going to be 26500, as it stands know i will not earn over 17000

    Any advice will be greatfuly received
Page 1
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 13th Jan 18, 4:57 PM
    • 11,576 Posts
    • 13,476 Thanks
    • #2
    • 13th Jan 18, 4:57 PM
    • #2
    • 13th Jan 18, 4:57 PM
    Sorry for your loss.

    Have you checked to see if you are eligible for bereavement support payment?

    See here

    I strongly advise you to seek some advice from CAB or a welfare advisor to check and support you with your benefit claims.
    • Rich2808
    • By Rich2808 14th Jan 18, 1:49 PM
    • 615 Posts
    • 469 Thanks
    • #3
    • 14th Jan 18, 1:49 PM
    • #3
    • 14th Jan 18, 1:49 PM
    i do think there ought to be a system whereby following a bereavement of a spouse or partner - particularly if you have kids under 16 - all existing benefits continue say for at least two months as a transitional measure,

    In Ireland you get at least six weeks transition - to tide you over the funeral and the first few weeks. And also allows time to apply for your revised entitlements.

    It just seems overly brutal.

    I would seek advice OP from the CAB to ensure you are claiming all you should get. Check entitled to and other advisory websites as well. And good luck.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,446Posts Today

6,807Users online

Martin's Twitter