Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • consumers_revenge
    • By consumers_revenge 13th Jan 18, 11:29 AM
    • 3,106Posts
    • 1,639Thanks
    consumers_revenge
    cheap car question
    • 13th Jan 18, 11:29 AM
    cheap car question 13th Jan 18 at 11:29 AM
    Hi,

My wifes car failed MOT and at this point its really not worth repairing.

She does very car little mileage 4k and I ride a motorbike in the main so just after something cheap.

Theres a 2001 fiesta being sold by a trader just along from me and I'm thinking of buying. Dec 2018 MOT and £500.

Now I know its an older car so I'm not expecting brand new by any means and my focus is that old so I know what to expect. However my question is what are my reasonable expectations if theres anything mechanically that I find in the first 30 days? Same reject rights etc?

Just 2 years ago I bought a private clio and within days the head gasket went and it was money down the drain....

Cheers
Page 1
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 13th Jan 18, 4:01 PM
    • 3,048 Posts
    • 2,206 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 13th Jan 18, 4:01 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 4:01 PM
    Fix your wife's car. A £500 2001 Fiesta is going to need fixing, especially one sold by a trader who probably paid no more than £200 for it at the local auction. You're going to have the sum total of next to no rights because you're buying a 16 year old car not much above scrap value and your rights are determined to an extent by that because a reasonable person would expect a £500 banger to come with problems. You're not going to get right to reject unless its dangerous and even then it'll cost you more than £500 to enforce it through court because you can be damned sure the dealer won't be wanting to give a refund.

I would be absolutely gobsmacked if it didn't have problems. The MOT is meaningless. There is a massive list of things that can cause a car to break down that don't even make it onto the MOT test list, some of them being quite serious such as the state of the cambelt and the clutch because neither of those are testable items.
    Last edited by Tarambor; 13-01-2018 at 4:05 PM.
    • martinthebandit
    • By martinthebandit 13th Jan 18, 4:03 PM
    • 3,512 Posts
    • 6,040 Thanks
    martinthebandit
    • 13th Jan 18, 4:03 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 4:03 PM
    Fix your wife's car. A £500 2001 Fiesta is going to need fixing, especially one sold by a trader who probably paid no more than £200 for it at the local auction. You're going to have the sum total of next to no rights because you're buying a 16 year old car not much above scrap value and your rights are determined to an extent by that because a reasonable person would expect a £500 banger to come with problems.

I would be absolutely gobsmacked if it didn't have problems. The MOT is meaningless. There is a massive list of things that can cause a car to break down that don't even make it onto the MOT test list, some of them being quite serious such as the state of the cambelt and the clutch because neither of those are testable items.
    Originally posted by Tarambor

.....is the right answer.
    Politics -
    from the words Poli, meaning many
    and tics meaning blood sucking parasites

(thanks to Kinky Friedman (or Larry Hardman) for the quote}
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 13th Jan 18, 5:27 PM
    • 17,602 Posts
    • 15,967 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 13th Jan 18, 5:27 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 5:27 PM
    Theres a 2001 fiesta being sold by a trader just along from me and I'm thinking of buying. Dec 2018 MOT and £500.

Now I know its an older car so I'm not expecting brand new by any means and my focus is that old so I know what to expect. However my question is what are my reasonable expectations if theres anything mechanically that I find in the first 30 days? Same reject rights etc?
    Originally posted by consumers_revenge
    Seriously?

It's a 17yo £500 car. You have the legal right to expect that it's in a typical condition for a £500 17yo car.

If it gets you home, job jobbed.
    • mbwoy84
    • By mbwoy84 13th Jan 18, 5:48 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    mbwoy84
    • 13th Jan 18, 5:48 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 5:48 PM
    There is no reason why a £500 car can!!!8217;t give reliable service for years to come. Only yesterday someone I know proudly waved his fresh advisory-less MOT certificate for his Mondeo which he paid £400 for 5 years ago and has used daily since without anything go wrong other than usual consumables.

But at that price, you can!!!8217;t expect anyone to guarantee it. There will always be an element of risk at that price.
    • jimjames
    • By jimjames 13th Jan 18, 5:52 PM
    • 12,651 Posts
    • 11,314 Thanks
    jimjames
    • 13th Jan 18, 5:52 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 5:52 PM
    But at that price, you canít expect anyone to guarantee it. There will always be an element of risk at that price.
    Originally posted by mbwoy84
    Absolutely. You might pick up a bargain buying privately but unlikely from a dealer at that price.

I got a £250 car back in November and it's been brilliant. Couple of minor issues and service to do but it runs very smoothly with no mechanical problems. That was a private sale from a friend of the family though, dealer would be a different situation.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
    • consumers_revenge
    • By consumers_revenge 13th Jan 18, 6:37 PM
    • 3,106 Posts
    • 1,639 Thanks
    consumers_revenge
    • 13th Jan 18, 6:37 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 6:37 PM
    Of course I was going to drive it first not just hand over the money lol

Both our 18 Y.O. focuses past fault free last year and actually run fine but the cost for hers is approx. £600+ to fix ( mostly in welding and labour ) if it would have been £400 max maybe? job done

I bought a micra for £110 many years back, lasted 3 years. Bought a bubble shape and last 6 years for £550 so not everyones a pup.

What I suppose I'm saying is there any more rights buying from a trader over buying from public?
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 13th Jan 18, 6:38 PM
    • 5,979 Posts
    • 2,718 Thanks
    LeeUK
    • 13th Jan 18, 6:38 PM
    Wouldn't want to pay £500 for a 2001 Fiesta from a dealer even with 11 month MOT. Worth £250 max.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 13th Jan 18, 6:38 PM
    • 17,602 Posts
    • 15,967 Thanks
    AdrianC
    What I suppose I'm saying is there any more rights buying from a trader over buying from public?
    Not in any practicable sense at that end of the market, no.
    • consumers_revenge
    • By consumers_revenge 13th Jan 18, 6:39 PM
    • 3,106 Posts
    • 1,639 Thanks
    consumers_revenge
    Failure note ( though I'm not convinced )

Front Exhaust has a major leak of exhaust gases flexi (7.1.2)
    Nearside Front Lower Suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.2)
    Offside Front Lower Suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.2)
    Nearside Rear Trailing arm rubber bush deteriorated resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.2)
    Offside Rear Trailing arm rubber bush deteriorated resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.2)
    Nearside Rear Inner Seat belt anchorage prescribed area is excessively corroded wing (5.2.6)
    Offside Rear Inner Seat belt anchorage prescribed area is excessively corroded wing (5.2.6)
    Nearside Front Tyre tread depth below requirements of 1.6mm 195/60r15 (4.1.E.1)
    Parking brake: efficiency below requirements (3.7.B.7)
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 13th Jan 18, 6:41 PM
    • 17,602 Posts
    • 15,967 Thanks
    AdrianC
    So just some basic maintenance and wear-and-tear. A couple of bits of welding, but not much.

And as for that illegally bald tyre... Go and think Mr MOT for saving you from three points!
    • consumers_revenge
    • By consumers_revenge 13th Jan 18, 6:45 PM
    • 3,106 Posts
    • 1,639 Thanks
    consumers_revenge
    not sure what the flexi pipe is?

if anyone could point me in the direction of what 2 lots of parts I'm looking at for the trailing arms and lower suspension arms please ford focus 2.0 2000 reg. Would be grateful but I hear the trailing arm are a b*****d to change over

Welding is not so much of a prob as I know someone.
    • EdGasketTheSecond
    • By EdGasketTheSecond 13th Jan 18, 9:53 PM
    • 586 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    EdGasketTheSecond
    It looks toast to me on that lot. The welding clinches it.

The exhaust 'flexi' is a section of exhaust pipe near the front that is, well, flexible. Officially its a new exhaust section. DIY you can cut the existing section off and repalce with a flexible, clamp-on section of the same diameter from eBay. Done that on two cars.

But really scrap it and buy something else but maybe not your £500 fiesta. Dealers can get these at scrap value and put a dodgy MoT on it . Buy something newer and privately at that sort of price.
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 13th Jan 18, 10:14 PM
    • 1,383 Posts
    • 1,166 Thanks
    House Martin
    yeah its the welding which is going to cost.
    the suspension bits if bought online are not that drastic but if you can t tackle the aggro of undoing rusty suspension nuts yourself .scrap it .At least scrap car prices are on the up.
    I got rid of a Vauxhall Corsa for banger racing for a half decent price which beat the scrapmans offer, so maybe worth an ebay listing for an MOT failure.
    Last edited by House Martin; 13-01-2018 at 10:21 PM.
    • consumers_revenge
    • By consumers_revenge 14th Jan 18, 12:47 AM
    • 3,106 Posts
    • 1,639 Thanks
    consumers_revenge
    Ironically the weldings the cheapest part from my local man.

Its the rear suspension that going to right it off. Cheap bits but all labour.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 14th Jan 18, 8:40 PM
    • 3,048 Posts
    • 2,206 Thanks
    Tarambor
    Both our 18 Y.O. focuses past fault free last year and actually run fine but the cost for hers is approx. £600+ to fix ( mostly in welding and labour ) if it would have been £400 max maybe? job done
    So you're going to spend £500 on a £200 car that is well past its sell by date that you know nothing about its history with faults that you know nothing about and with stuff on the horizon you're going to be unaware of to save spending £600 to fix a car where you know how its been looked after, what is wrong with it, what is likely to go wrong with it.

Seems a bit silly to me.

Change the suspension parts yourself, its only basic nuts and bolts.

As for rights, yes you have more with a trader but you only have what would be reasonable to expect from a 17 year old £500 car and that won't be a car free of problems.
    Last edited by Tarambor; 14-01-2018 at 8:42 PM.
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 14th Jan 18, 11:28 PM
    • 1,383 Posts
    • 1,166 Thanks
    House Martin
    So you're going to spend £500 on a £200 car that is well past its sell by date that you know nothing about its history with faults that you know nothing about and with stuff on the horizon you're going to be unaware of to save spending £600 to fix a car where you know how its been looked after, what is wrong with it, what is likely to go wrong with it.

Seems a bit silly to me.

Change the suspension parts yourself, its only basic nuts and bolts.

As for rights, yes you have more with a trader but you only have what would be reasonable to expect from a 17 year old £500 car and that won't be a car free of problems.
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    sounds to me that YOU have never tried to shift rusty old suspension bolts open to the elements for many years.You need top make sockets like snap on and britools and spanners which don t shear and slip when presented with a a lot of force, and you need real force to shift these old nuts.. The cheap sockets give up on these old nuts.
    Garages simply use their powerful air guns and fit new parts when they shear off, as some will
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 15th Jan 18, 12:03 AM
    • 5,979 Posts
    • 2,718 Thanks
    LeeUK
    Also the MOT on the 2001 Fiesta will have been done by the trader's mates in the motor trade who will have conveniently missed off the long list of advisories etc.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 15th Jan 18, 1:23 AM
    • 3,048 Posts
    • 2,206 Thanks
    Tarambor
    sounds to me that YOU have never tried to shift rusty old suspension bolts open to the elements for many years.You need top make sockets like snap on and britools and spanners which don t shear and slip when presented with a a lot of force, and you need real force to shift these old nuts.. The cheap sockets give up on these old nuts.
    Garages simply use their powerful air guns and fit new parts when they shear off, as some will
    Originally posted by House Martin
    Just done the drop links on my MX5 which were put on when the car was new 12 years ago and its last owner lived at the seaside. In the past I also fully restored a 23 year old Ford Capri so I know about rusty nuts and bolts.

I only ever buy decent tools because buying cheap with a 13mm socket anywhere between 12.5mm and 13.5mm causes you nothing but grief, costs you time and usually causes more damage and work. Halfords Pro range are as good as my Snap on and Mac Tools stuff ever was.

You don't need real force to shift old nuts just intelligence. Soak them with penetrating oil the day before doing the job, if they still don't shift then apply heat.
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 15th Jan 18, 7:51 AM
    • 10,168 Posts
    • 7,600 Thanks
    GunJack
    OP, is it worth taking the failed car to another local reputable independant for a second opinion/quote before rushing into the fiesta??
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,348Posts Today

7,697Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LaraLewington: ...and mine suggested I'd achieved a lifelong ambition of being sawn in half by a magician - at our wedding. Wasn't. Don?

• We are working on it - I think BA has behaved awfully on this. Those flight were no obviously a glitch. It should? https://t.co/8pvtXtUEqi

• RT @thenicolabryant: Absolutely. We need mental health and financial health as advocated my @MartinSLewis , to be taught in schools. So muc?

• Follow Martin