Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • itsgraham
    • By itsgraham 13th Jan 18, 11:16 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    itsgraham
    Unknowingly sold a Category C Vehicle. HELP!
    • 13th Jan 18, 11:16 AM
    Unknowingly sold a Category C Vehicle. HELP! 13th Jan 18 at 11:16 AM
    Hello
    I'm looking for advice:
    I bought a vehicle in Jan last year.
    Put it in for MOT etc a few weeks ago and mechanic told me vehicle was a Cat C write off.
    I bought the vehicle from a small garage and they did not tell me.
    I have been in touch with trading standards but they require original advert.
    AutoTrader confirm the vehicle was not sold as Cat C but i can only get the adverts text from AutoTrader as they do not have full advert.
    I have not yet contacted the seller as TS advised against it.
    Has anyone been in his situation before?
    Where do I go from here?

Many thanks
Page 1
    • debtdebt
    • By debtdebt 13th Jan 18, 11:22 AM
    • 480 Posts
    • 311 Thanks
    debtdebt
    • 13th Jan 18, 11:22 AM
    • 13th Jan 18, 11:22 AM
    Why have TS advised against contacting the trader? Anyway, are there any notes on the V5 to confirm it's a Cat C? Have you done an HPI yourself to confirm it's a Cat C or are you taking the garage's word for it?
    • mbwoy84
    • By mbwoy84 13th Jan 18, 11:44 AM
    • 24 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    mbwoy84
    • 13th Jan 18, 11:44 AM
    • 13th Jan 18, 11:44 AM
    If the vehicle is a Cat C, it will state so on the V5.

Also, Auto Trader now automatically flags up a vehicle that is Cat C or Cat D when the vehicle details are entered by the seller, it comes up on the ad, so a seller can't (knowingly or unknowingly) sell a damaged recorded car without declaring it.
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 13th Jan 18, 11:59 AM
    • 1,153 Posts
    • 551 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    • 13th Jan 18, 11:59 AM
    • 13th Jan 18, 11:59 AM
    Hello
    I'm looking for advice:
    Put it in for MOT etc a few weeks ago and mechanic told me vehicle was a Cat C write off.
    AutoTrader confirm the vehicle was not sold as Cat C but i can only get the adverts text from AutoTrader as they do not have full advert.
    Where do I go from here?

Many thanks
    Originally posted by itsgraham
    Does the mot system show the write off classification?
    • prowla
    • By prowla 13th Jan 18, 12:14 PM
    • 9,819 Posts
    • 7,910 Thanks
    prowla
    • 13th Jan 18, 12:14 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 12:14 PM
    What you can do to confirm is go to the AutoTrader site and go through the first few steps of selling it and it will tell you if it has been a write-off.

A Cat-C means that the car can be repaired and put back on the road, so owning one should not be an issue; indeed, insurance companies don't even want to know.

Sometimes a Cat-C can just mean that the replacement of the parts may be more than the car's value.

Of course, being sold one as a perfect car does mean you may have paid over the odds for it.

I've owned a Cat-C before and it was scruffy but fine.
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 13th Jan 18, 1:15 PM
    • 13,575 Posts
    • 8,618 Thanks
    arcon5
    • 13th Jan 18, 1:15 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 1:15 PM
    How do the mot station know that? As putting an mot through the system doesn't alert the fact, at least not from what I can remember.

Do your own hpi check to confirm first.

But tbh after a year and not being able to prove or disprove anything your not really gonna get very far.

Also auto trader have for a long time automatically checked and flagged cars that have previously been written off as such in the ad. So if it has been a write off id hazard a guess it was showing as such. That or the mot station have jumped the gun.

More to the point though... is there actually anything wrong with the car?
    • mbwoy84
    • By mbwoy84 13th Jan 18, 2:31 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    mbwoy84
    • 13th Jan 18, 2:31 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 2:31 PM
    No, the MOT system won!!!8217;t tell you anything like that. Cat C will always be stated on the V5. Cat D isn!!!8217;t stated on the V5, but there will be a little clue on there...

What does it say in the bottom section of the front page of the V5 headed !!!8220;3. Special Notes!!!8221;?
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 13th Jan 18, 2:48 PM
    • 1,153 Posts
    • 551 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    • 13th Jan 18, 2:48 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 2:48 PM
    No, the MOT system won’t tell you anything like that. Cat C will always be stated on the V5. Cat D isn’t stated on the V5, but there will be a little clue on there...

What does it say in the bottom section of the front page of the V5 headed “3. Special Notes”?
    Originally posted by mbwoy84
    So the mot garage wouldn’t know it was a cat c.
    • mbwoy84
    • By mbwoy84 13th Jan 18, 2:52 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    mbwoy84
    • 13th Jan 18, 2:52 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 2:52 PM
    Not from the MOT system, no. The only way they would know would be by HPI!!!8217;ing the vehicle (which would be odd as they would have no reason to do so) or looking at the V5 (which is unlikely to be in the vehicle or their business to be looking at even if it was!)
    • konark
    • By konark 14th Jan 18, 1:41 AM
    • 1,008 Posts
    • 776 Thanks
    konark
    Thread should really be called 'Unknowingly BOUGHT cat C vehicle', or more likely 'Some grease monkey at the garage is talking !!!!!!!! to me'
    • n217970
    • By n217970 14th Jan 18, 1:54 PM
    • 332 Posts
    • 274 Thanks
    n217970
    Probably been crashed when it was younger and worth more so repaired rather then written off. MOT tester ( not usually the brightest) has noticed the repair and made the declaration the car must be a cat-c.
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 14th Jan 18, 2:01 PM
    • 11,311 Posts
    • 6,481 Thanks
    DUTR
    Hello
    I'm looking for advice:
    Where do I go from here?

Many thanks
    Originally posted by itsgraham
    I suspect that if you take your car to a well known high street workshop for your free brake check then what they say must be true?
    • inglorius
    • By inglorius 14th Jan 18, 3:55 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    inglorius
    Have you actually checked yourself rather then take someone else's word for it
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

392Posts Today

4,415Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • We all knew we'd win in the end. Never in doubt! ....walks away whistling

• Yeeesss. Phew. Wow. Uh. Oy yoy yoy

• It's interesting that 80% of the crowd are young women... According to the close ups we keep seeing anyway.

• Follow Martin