Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 13th Jan 18, 9:18 AM
    • 16,929Posts
    • 144,933Thanks
    JackieO
    Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)
    • 13th Jan 18, 9:18 AM
    Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :) 13th Jan 18 at 9:18 AM
    Hi chums I see for some reason unbeknown to us all that the previous thread was deleted .OK well lets no be despondant it was 11 months old and I certainly didn't expect it to run as long as it did,but this will no defeat us in our object to LFHW will it .So come on chums get those ideas rolling again for the new year ahead

JackieO xxx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
Page 83
    • takingcontrolatlast
    • By takingcontrolatlast 28th May 19, 10:32 PM
    • 658 Posts
    • 2,775 Thanks
    takingcontrolatlast
    Iíve been wasting far too much food lately so Iím back on my Ďzero wasteí mission! Iím combining it with my Ď10 fruit & veg a dayí challenge & so far my creative use-ups this week have been:

- sweet potato, coconut & chilli soup
    - ďcarrot cakeĒ overnight oats (oats, HM oat milk, grated carrot, raisins, maple syrup, vanilla essence & mixed seeds)
    - kiwi, strawberry, lemon & pea shoot smoothie
    - kiwi, plum, pomegranate, pea shoot & yoghurt smoothie
    - Banana loaf
    - Broccoli, green bean, butternut squash, tomato, mushroom, leek & spring onion miso stir fry

... my only fail so far has been trying to use leftover cream to make fudge - it hasnít set
    Originally posted by kboss2010
    Hi,

Th sweet potato, coconut and chilli soup has caught my attention... do you have a receipe please?

x
    Emergency Fund:£0/£500 -

Debts paid off
    Loan - £1400 Overdraft - £1700 Phone - £360 Loan - £2109 Provident - £1760 MBNA - £8000
    • kboss2010
    • By kboss2010 29th May 19, 5:53 PM
    • 1,135 Posts
    • 9,162 Thanks
    kboss2010
    No worries!

It’s just:

1 large or 3 small sweet potatoes peeled & cubed, 1/2 cup of desiccated coconut, 1 tbsp dried chilli flakes & 2 veggie stock cubes in enough water to just cover the top of the sweet potato in a pan. Leave to simmer until the potatoes are soft, leave to cool & then blend with a stick blender.
    Last edited by kboss2010; 29-05-2019 at 5:55 PM.
    "I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum
    'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. Tapping

I'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there
    ~ Lifehouse
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 31st May 19, 1:17 PM
    • 16,929 Posts
    • 144,933 Thanks
    JackieO
    No worries!

Itís just:

1 large or 3 small sweet potatoes peeled & cubed, 1/2 cup of desiccated coconut, 1 tbsp dried chilli flakes & 2 veggie stock cubes in enough water to just cover the top of the sweet potato in a pan. Leave to simmer until the potatoes are soft, leave to cool & then blend with a stick blender.
    That sounds really nice should freeze well I would think.I may try this on Sunday as I have some sweet potatoes in my veggie bag, also coconut in the cupboard but only chilli powder but I guess its about the same, Do you think a dollop of lazy garlic would give it a bit of a zip as well ?
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 31st May 19, 1:37 PM
    • 7,028 Posts
    • 50,627 Thanks
    joedenise
    I always think that chilli flakes are hotter than powder so generally use a bit more powder than I would flakes. I usually start any soup with an onion and some garlic so definitely worth adding a dollop of lazy garlic.

Denise
    • takingcontrolatlast
    • By takingcontrolatlast 31st May 19, 8:06 PM
    • 658 Posts
    • 2,775 Thanks
    takingcontrolatlast
    No worries!

Itís just:

I can do that !

x

Debts paid off
    Loan - £1400 Overdraft - £1700 Phone - £360 Loan - £2109 Provident - £1760 MBNA - £8000
    • marns
    • By marns 1st Jun 19, 7:53 AM
    • 30 Posts
    • 384 Thanks
    marns
    ... my only fail so far has been trying to use leftover cream to make fudge - it hasnít set
    That isn't a fail....it's delicious sauce for ice-cream or the basis of an indulgent milk shake! Don't like them myself but banana fudge milk shake would put a smile on plenty peeps faces
    • kboss2010
    • By kboss2010 1st Jun 19, 11:00 AM
    • 1,135 Posts
    • 9,162 Thanks
    kboss2010
    That isn't a fail....it's delicious sauce for ice-cream or the basis of an indulgent milk shake! Don't like them myself but banana fudge milk shake would put a smile on plenty peeps faces
    Originally posted by marns
    Thank you, I never even thought of that!

I'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there
    ~ Lifehouse
    • kboss2010
    • By kboss2010 1st Jun 19, 11:01 AM
    • 1,135 Posts
    • 9,162 Thanks
    kboss2010
    That sounds really nice should freeze well I would think.I may try this on Sunday as I have some sweet potatoes in my veggie bag, also coconut in the cupboard but only chilli powder but I guess its about the same, Do you think a dollop of lazy garlic would give it a bit of a zip as well ?
    Originally posted by JackieO
    Addition of garlic is never a bad idea!

~ Lifehouse
    • takingcontrolatlast
    • By takingcontrolatlast 2nd Jun 19, 11:55 AM
    • 658 Posts
    • 2,775 Thanks
    takingcontrolatlast
    I've not managed to meal plan properly just yet as mum in hospital and there's just so much going on this weekend - but I have made a start by looking at freezer stock and writing down what I have. Therefore I've not been the shops and doubt if I'll get there today as have meeting with family regarding mum. I'll go after work tomorrow - hopefully I may grab some bargains!

The mint plant I purchased last week never got touched so today I have picked its leaves and put them in my ice cube box, covered with water and popped the in the freezer. Once frozen they can be used to pop in drinks (preferably gin)!! I'm not sure whether they need to be bagged once frozen?

DH is making beef stew today so there will be left overs for tomorrow's tea and I wont have to cook which is a blessing as I'll be in the shops!!!

I must try and remember to find a container to plant the mint plant in and get some compost ... and I want my tomato plant !!

Debts paid off
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 5th Jun 19, 7:52 AM
    • 16,929 Posts
    • 144,933 Thanks
    JackieO
    Morning chums, weatherwise its not looking that bright at the moment , so I will probably be doing a bit of baking this morning after I have dropped DGS Jack off at work. I think a nice Victoria sponge cake looks a possibility as I have plenty of flour ,eggs etc and a nice jar of strawberry jam in the cupboard as well .My DGS are always happy to enjoy a HM cake in fact they prefer it to shop bought stuff

Hope everyone is happy carrying on with the LFHW I saw on TV that Waitrose are trialing a scheme to buy stuff by weight to cut back on plastic rubbish, I hope other supermarkets pick up on this as I for one would be more than happy to buy stuff by weight and take my own boxes to fill up
    Years ago there used to be a shop in Dartford that did this and I used it all the time. I am more than in favour of saving both cash and cutting back on waste . How do the rest of you feel ,do you think it will help or not ?

JackieO
    • marns
    • By marns 6th Jun 19, 7:58 AM
    • 30 Posts
    • 384 Thanks
    marns
    Hope everyone is happy carrying on with the LFHW I saw on TV that Waitrose are trialing a scheme to buy stuff by weight to cut back on plastic rubbish, I hope other supermarkets pick up on this as I for one would be more than happy to buy stuff by weight and take my own boxes to fill up
    Years ago there used to be a shop in Dartford that did this and I used it all the time. I am more than in favour of saving both cash and cutting back on waste . How do the rest of you feel ,do you think it will help or not ?

JackieO
    I would certainly give it ago, most of the weigh and pay type shops near me have closed (and I'm limited by public transport) but there is one in the quirky historic Grainger Market in Newcastle. I get some baking supplies there but I might ask to use my own containers next time...I only decant into them when I get home anyway. Not sure I'm prepared to pay the Waitrose premium for basics like flour, rice, lentils tho. Hopefully they'll set a trend.

I also have a 'semi disposable' system. I don't buy a lot of ready made food but sometimes your knackered or it's been yellow stickered and too good a bargain to refuse. When they come in reasonably sturdy foil trays and plastic tubs I clean and reuse them. I usually use them a till they crack or they get used a packed lunch boxes for trips where I don't want to cart dirty containers around all afternoon. Also good if your batch cooking to distribute to friends and family and your not quite sure you'll get your 'proper Tupperware' or tins back any time soon!

I ALWAYS save a few for Christmas dinner to save on scrubbing roasting tins and send peeps home with leftovers!
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 10th Jun 19, 11:50 PM
    • 1,797 Posts
    • 22,579 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Lo special fried rice reheated in wok, lo mash & vegetables made into cakes & fried accompanied by fried bacon for Mondayís lunch.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 11th Jun 19, 6:26 AM
    • 16,929 Posts
    • 144,933 Thanks
    JackieO
    Morning chums ,crikey what a very wet day yesterday, but it meant I did some extra baking in the morning .DGS Henry starts his holiday job this morning so he will be well stocked in his lunch box with some melting moment and a decent chunk of fruit cake .He is a strapping 6 foot plus and as he will be working in the open air it will help keep him fed and full
    , anyone see the Hugh Fearnley-wotsits plastic waste programme last night ??
    • pamsdish
    • By pamsdish 11th Jun 19, 6:46 AM
    • 1,397 Posts
    • 8,403 Thanks
    pamsdish
    Recorded to watch later.
    2018 £2285/£2149
    2019 £2000=£364-£19=£345-£7=£338-£32=£306-£19=£287
    • bargainhunterss
    • By bargainhunterss 11th Jun 19, 6:48 AM
    • 715 Posts
    • 6,779 Thanks
    bargainhunterss
    Morning chums ,crikey what a very wet day yesterday, but it meant I did some extra baking in the morning .DGS Henry starts his holiday job this morning so he will be well stocked in his lunch box with some melting moment and a decent chunk of fruit cake .He is a strapping 6 foot plus and as he will be working in the open air it will help keep him fed and full
    We started watching Hugh FWís programme last night. Itís shocking how much single-use plastic we all have in our homes. Hoping to catch up on the rest of it tonight after work.
    Too many people spend money they earned..to buy things they don't want..to impress people that they don't like...

"Every time you borrow money, you're robbing your future self."

Every pound we spend is a vote for the sort of world we want
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 11th Jun 19, 7:06 AM
    • 1,274 Posts
    • 7,209 Thanks
    Brambling
    . anyone see the Hugh Fearnley-wotsits plastic waste programme last night ??
    For me it was also the clarification that loose fruit and veg can be a lot more money than package stuff. I cook for one and my MSE head tells me to buy the cheaper options but that can mean less variety or the threat of waste, there's only so much stuff you can put in the freezer. I eat very little bread and buying one bread roll works out more expensive than a pack. I definitely sets a challenge some times on creative use of veg so its different

I can remember when buying loose was the cheaper option and you brought in packs for convenient
    • maman
    • By maman 11th Jun 19, 1:21 PM
    • 20,707 Posts
    • 123,005 Thanks
    maman
    For me it was also the clarification that loose fruit and veg can be a lot more money than package stuff. I cook for one and my MSE head tells me to buy the cheaper options but that can mean less variety or the threat of waste, there's only so much stuff you can put in the freezer. I eat very little bread and buying one bread roll works out more expensive than a pack. I definitely sets a challenge some times on creative use of veg so its different

I can remember when buying loose was the cheaper option
    and you brought in packs for convenient
    Originally posted by Brambling
    Exactly. It would seem obvious that it would cost more to package something than to sell it loose. I really can see that many people are going to be put off buying loose for that very reason and it's going to be the most vulnerable and poorer members of society. I'm fortunate that I'm mse as a challenge because I hate being ripped off but others aren't so fortunate.

We're going on holiday tomorrow so this week I did a small Sainsbury's shop instead of my usual Aldi. It was specifically so I could buy some small amounts of fruit and veg. What an eye opener when I saw the prices of, for example, a single pear!
    • marns
    • By marns 14th Jun 19, 1:56 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 384 Thanks
    marns
    Exactly. It would seem obvious that it would cost more to package something than to sell it loose. I really can see that many people are going to be put off buying loose for that very reason and it's going to be the most vulnerable and poorer members of society. I'm fortunate that I'm mse as a challenge because I hate being ripped off but others aren't so fortunate.

We're going on holiday tomorrow so this week I did a small Sainsbury's shop instead of my usual Aldi. It was specifically so I could buy some small amounts of fruit and veg. What an eye opener when I saw the prices of, for example, a single pear!
    Originally posted by maman
    I can understand retailers wan't to package produce if it bruises easily and that some peeps aren't prepared to buy (or peel lumpy) veg. It's great they now have 'wonky veg' at reasonable prices but to always seems to be big packs....I don't always want 1k of carrot's, I just want one or two. I've made the mistake buying them and ending throwing out slimy veg I hadn't used (and yes I know....soup, but my freezer s tiny and full up).

I've started buying the bags/bowls of salad and adding my own extras because as pretty much the only person eating salad I was throwing loads out! I pretty sure if I took into account everything I ended up throwing away, I'm actually saving money.....Still annoying that fresh is cheaper in bulk. You know you won't eat it all if your catering just for one or two.

I often get basics from local wholesalers or market these days.
    • bargainhunterss
    • By bargainhunterss 14th Jun 19, 8:13 PM
    • 715 Posts
    • 6,779 Thanks
    bargainhunterss

I can remember when buying loose was the cheaper option and you brought in packs for convenient
    Originally posted by Brambling
    Exactly - thatís what they need to do. Make it so that the packaged version is sold at a premium, and the loose veg is cheaper (as it doesnít last as long). Thatís why packaged stuff is cheaper on the whole - packaged in a Ďprotectiveí atmosphere so it has a longer shelf life. I would definitely buy loose if it was cheaper, or at least comparable! Itís not so bad when youíre buying one thing, but when you multiply it across a whole shop
    Too many people spend money they earned..to buy things they don't want..to impress people that they don't like...

"Every time you borrow money, you're robbing your future self."

Every pound we spend is a vote for the sort of world we want
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 15th Jun 19, 1:31 AM
    • 1,797 Posts
    • 22,579 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Just starting a new soup using bits & pieces from freezer.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

148Posts Today

1,248Users online

Martin's Twitter