Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 13th Jan 18, 10:18 AM
    • 16,639Posts
    • 142,642Thanks
    JackieO
    Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)
    • 13th Jan 18, 10:18 AM
    Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :) 13th Jan 18 at 10:18 AM
    Hi chums I see for some reason unbeknown to us all that the previous thread was deleted .OK well lets no be despondant it was 11 months old and I certainly didn't expect it to run as long as it did,but this will no defeat us in our object to LFHW will it .So come on chums get those ideas rolling again for the new year ahead

JackieO xxx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    2019 January 41.45 in total spent this month Feb 38.95 spentMarch food spend so far 24.90
Page 70
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 13th Jan 19, 1:54 PM
    • 5,491 Posts
    • 80,592 Thanks
    VJsmum
    well, the worst of it was some REALLY STINKY kale and cabbage. My fault, I should have dealt with it before we went but time got away from me.

Having checked out the fridge and cupboards, i have some broccoli and some cheese that needs using - so soup it is, i'm guessing a mixture of cheese will be ok?

Also some apples and pears that are past their best will be made into stewed fruit - possibly into crumble. Could have been worse. Went to Ald! to stock up on some basics, I really could not be arrissed to menu plan today so will get by on that and freezer stocks. menu planning can happen later in the week.
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
    • Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    • By Mummy2cheekymonkeys 13th Jan 19, 2:28 PM
    • 220 Posts
    • 1,526 Thanks
    Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    Trying to use up some odd and ends from the fridge. What's left of a YS celery while be blitzed up in the blender with some old carrots and a couple of onions to make the base of a cottage pie. 2 wrinkly old apples have been diced up to make some spiced apple and prune muffins for DS1. The recipe called for buttermilk but I have used a well past its best lemon to sour some milk instead as I never use the whole tub of buttermilk normally so can't warrant the price. Really trying to cut back on our grocery spend for this year. It's one of our resolutions for 2019!
    • Hopeless Case
    • By Hopeless Case 14th Jan 19, 6:42 AM
    • 942 Posts
    • 5,806 Thanks
    Hopeless Case
    I made some gingerbread men for Christmas and then froze the left over ones and I'm trying to think what I can use them in, a cheesecake base would be one idea but no plans to make one at any time soon and wondered if anyone had any more everyday ideas.

They were already getting a bit past their best, and while OH will eat old cake for pudding with custard, I can't see him liking biscuits like that, so I'm a bit stumped (no hurry to use them and I guess I they are still there next time i make a cheesecake, it would cut the cost down a bit )
    Feb GC 54.80/200
    NSD target: Jan 15/20
    Bring Your Lunch to Work Target Jan 13/18
    1 a day: Jan 22.7/35
    Tesco CC Aug 18 10,151.56 9753.37 0% 30mnths, First Direct CC Aug 18 4321.80 3627.85 0% til Feb 20
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 14th Jan 19, 9:05 AM
    • 16,639 Posts
    • 142,642 Thanks
    JackieO
    why not smash them up as use as a crumble topping with some stewed fruit or even a strained tin of fruit cocktail ,dollop some custard on top It hides a multitude of odds and ends and few men dislike custard My late OH adored it with almost anything .Big vat of carrot soup made for lunches this week and the last carton of soft cheese to use up with crackers from christmas as well so thats lunches sorted this week I shall freezer dive shortly to see what I can find for dinner tonght. Veg wise I still have a whole head of celery wrapped in foil a good sized cauliflower ,also in foil and plentry of tomatoes lettuce and two thirds of a cucumber in the fridge and about 7-8 spuds in the potato bag so more than enough for this week In my fruit bowl I have two bananas 7 navel oranges and over half a box of red grapes ,so again enough to last me this wee and a few good bagsful in the freezer.Looking through my cupboards I feel sure I need nothing at all this week so a week of NSD's ahead for me
    I like it when its like that, especially mid-January, as its a loooong month

I still have a tin of shortbread given to me as a present which I will save for next month when my team go to a big charity quiz ,we usually take some nibbles along with us so the shortbread will do fine on the table I feel sure my 7 fellow quizzers will help me out

Hope you all have a good week and waste little

Cheers chums
    JackieO xxx
    2019 January 41.45 in total spent this month Feb 38.95 spentMarch food spend so far 24.90
    • ninnoodle
    • By ninnoodle 14th Jan 19, 10:38 AM
    • 428 Posts
    • 2,076 Thanks
    ninnoodle
    I made a big pan of cottage pie base, using 2 cans of edamame beans instead of peas. I wanted to use them up (I think I bought them for salads in the summer but it never happened). The result is OK - I prefer peas though and won't be making it again. The result was enough for 7 portions and I also mashed up a bag of potatoes for the topping. One portion I ate at the weekend, one will be for lunch today and the rest in the freezer.
    Dinner will be a smoothie - I've got almond milk to use up and a load of frozen berries.
    • Ginmonster
    • By Ginmonster 14th Jan 19, 11:06 AM
    • 393 Posts
    • 5,691 Thanks
    Ginmonster
    I made jacket spuds for lunch yesterday wth assorted toppings (turkey mince in gravy leftovers, cheese and baked beans). I filled the oven by baking extra spuds and roasting a load of beetroots at the same time. While they were cooking I also set a big pan of soup on the go with all the bendy veg and a few handfuls of pearl barley. My mum always made a big chunky soup with barley in when I was little and I've always loved it.

So I've got lots of soup, roasted beetroot, baked potatoes, a portion of leftover pasta in spinach and marscapone sauce and two portions of leftover veggie chili and rice in my fridge that need using this week. I don't think I'm going to need to do any shopping that's for sure. Soup for lunch I think and maybe a roasted beetroot risotto for tea.
    Last edited by Ginmonster; 14-01-2019 at 11:08 AM.
    • Hopeless Case
    • By Hopeless Case 14th Jan 19, 1:23 PM
    • 942 Posts
    • 5,806 Thanks
    Hopeless Case
    why not smash them up as use as a crumble topping with some stewed fruit or even a strained tin of fruit cocktail ,dollop some custard on top It hides a multitude of odds and ends and few men dislike custard My late OH adored it with almost anything .Big vat of carrot soup made for lunches this week and the last carton of soft cheese to use up with crackers from christmas as well so thats lunches sorted this week I shall freezer dive shortly to see what I can find for dinner tonght. Veg wise I still have a whole head of celery wrapped in foil a good sized cauliflower ,also in foil and plentry of tomatoes lettuce and two thirds of a cucumber in the fridge and about 7-8 spuds in the potato bag so more than enough for this week In my fruit bowl I have two bananas 7 navel oranges and over half a box of red grapes ,so again enough to last me this wee and a few good bagsful in the freezer.Looking through my cupboards I feel sure I need nothing at all this week so a week of NSD's ahead for me
    I like it when its like that, especially mid-January, as its a loooong month

I still have a tin of shortbread given to me as a present which I will save for next month when my team go to a big charity quiz ,we usually take some nibbles along with us so the shortbread will do fine on the table I feel sure my 7 fellow quizzers will help me out

Hope you all have a good week and waste little

Cheers chums
    JackieO xxx
    Originally posted by JackieO
    Great idea, thanks - I've got loads of stewed apples and blackberries in the freezer so that's a Sunday pudding for practically free My OH loves custard too
    Feb GC 54.80/200
    NSD target: Jan 15/20
    Bring Your Lunch to Work Target Jan 13/18
    1 a day: Jan 22.7/35
    Tesco CC Aug 18 10,151.56 9753.37 0% 30mnths, First Direct CC Aug 18 4321.80 3627.85 0% til Feb 20
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 14th Jan 19, 7:22 PM
    • 16,639 Posts
    • 142,642 Thanks
    JackieO
    Found a large pork chop in the freezer which I left out this morning to defrost and its cooking nicely at the moment, I shall have it with some steamed sweetheart cabbage and a couple of balls of mashed potato from the freezer and some gravy.

Getting a bit chilly tonight, and the cold weather from the continent is forecast sometime next week.I do hope the snow isn't too bad as I hate the stuff as it keeps me indoors.

I use a stick to walk with, so sliding around in the snow and ice is not a good idea ,especially at my age as I don't bounce very well.

No point going out and breaking something there are too few enough beds in our overworked hospitals as it is without me adding to the problem.

But at least I have lots of jigsaws, knitting and books to read so I can keep myself amused and no end of food in the cupboard and freezer,

I just hate being tied to the house when I normally am out every day
    Oh well it will either come or stay away I guess,

Have a good evening chums

JackieO xx
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 14th Jan 19, 7:31 PM
    • 5,491 Posts
    • 80,592 Thanks
    VJsmum
    I think we've come to the end of our christmas and other excess stuff now. So not too bad at all - only the bits of cabbage and kale got chucked. Had a winter veg casserole from the freezer tonight, followed by the last of the cheese with oatcakes. DS used up some meatballs, with salsa and salad and the last of the tenderstem broccoli.

I have made stock with the chicken carcass from yesterday but will freeze it as I've nothing to make soup with right now - the stock will take less freezer space than individual soups in any case. i am now going to focus on getting the freezer down - again!!
    • marns
    • By marns 15th Jan 19, 10:36 AM
    • 22 Posts
    • 275 Thanks
    marns
    Not sure if all Asda's, but my local one today has bags of parsnips, carrots and sprouts to clear each bag 7p.
    Originally posted by JCS1
    Not quite as cheep but I think my local ASDA forgot to stop ordering so many parsnips after christmas....reduced to about 20p for a huge bag....made a big pan of curried parsnip (and one bendy carrot) soup. 6 very generous portions came in at under 2. I almost paid more for the bread! (but you have to have crusty bread for dunking in soup don't you).

I work in a chemist inside sainsburys and most of my shifts finish about 7pm and I have to wait almost an hour for the bus. There's also an ASDA at the other end of the shopping centre so I pick up a few bargins most weeks because I have nothing better to do for that hour than check the reductions in both stores...and I love a bargin!

I have also discovered if your a bit of a foodie like me interacting on social media with producers you like can get you free samples/discounts. I have posted pics of food/recipies using products and got free samples and reductions (I'm a regular at local food fairs so many producers know me and give me a discount anyway if I'm in my uniform working for St John Ambulance as well)

I don't post often but I love getting all your ideas on this forum!
    Last edited by marns; 15-01-2019 at 10:38 AM.
    • ninnoodle
    • By ninnoodle 15th Jan 19, 11:54 AM
    • 428 Posts
    • 2,076 Thanks
    ninnoodle
    That's awesome marns - wish I lived near a good supermarket. There's a co-op where I live and although there is a good rewards programme, it's an expensive shop. The YS items are hardly reduced at all - eg. a 1.75 bag of tatties reduced to 1.55! I get the occasional bargain though, especially if I can freeze it.
    Well, there was not enough oats left for my morning porridge today so I had some of the Alpen my boyfriend leaves at mine for him. Lunch is a portion of the tartiflette from earlier in the week and some sausages. Tonight's supper will be another smoothie - getting through the almond milk and frozen berries I seem to have grown and multiplied in my freezer!
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 16th Jan 19, 2:15 PM
    • 16,639 Posts
    • 142,642 Thanks
    JackieO
    I shall be having a salad for dinner tonight with some pichards as I like them and I have a couple of tiny tins in the cupboard. One mashed up with a dollop of sweet chilli sauce for sparkle with lettuce,tomato,cucumber, beetroot, grated cheese and carrot and a bit of diced up red pepper will give me a colourful and healthy meal, and all from my stores.I will probably make some semolina for pudding as I have plenty of UHT milk and a box of it in the cupboard, a dab of apricot jam in the middle and voila a nice pud for pennies with enough left for tomorrow to go in the fridge .

Lunch was carrot and coriander soup and cheese and crackers so everything coming from my stores this week

Hope everyone is warm and dry as the weather looks like its turning quite horrible over the next few days

Take care chums

JackieO xx
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 16th Jan 19, 2:26 PM
    • 5,491 Posts
    • 80,592 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Just DD and i for dinner tonight as OH and DS have gone to mother in law's.

DD will take care of herself as she turned her nose up at my offering, so i shall be alone in having broccoli soup followed by a christmas brioche pud they were selling off in Aldi. I'd have liked something other than broccoli as i know there's other soups in the freezer, but i just can't get to them at the moment.

DS is going back to uni tomorrow, i think - so i don't have to worry as much about feeding a pure carnivore. Tomorrow I shall get out a beef casserole from the freezer and OH and i will have that with some need to use up veg. DD can have the veg with something veggie (DS detests onions so is always reluctant to eat casserole). Hopefully this will start to ease the fridge contents a little.
    • Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    • By Mummy2cheekymonkeys 16th Jan 19, 2:37 PM
    • 220 Posts
    • 1,526 Thanks
    Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    OH bought a YS double cream that needed using up so I've now used that to make some toffee sauce that will last for weeks in the fridge until I decide to make a sticky toffee pudding. It's always a nice treat for a indulgent winter pudding so not something we have very often.
    • ninnoodle
    • By ninnoodle 16th Jan 19, 2:54 PM
    • 428 Posts
    • 2,076 Thanks
    ninnoodle
    Smoothie for breakfast this morning as I find them hard to stomach at suppertime. A cold smoothie seems wrong when it's a howling gale outside and the fire is on. it was far more palatable this morning - almond milk, some frozen berries, a frozen banana and two balls of frozen spinach.
    Lunch was a portion of the cottage pie I made the other day. Tonight's supper will be a cheese omelette. I've still got eggs to use up from NYE when I bought some for my friend's breakfast as they were staying over. They're near the UBD so guess I need to use them.
    Snacks in between: shortbread from Christmas and some crispbreads with cheese and pickle.
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 17th Jan 19, 12:35 AM
    • 1,464 Posts
    • 17,625 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Today DH & I had pulled pork slices (bought for DSis) for lunch - only 2 days past their use by date. Very tasty they were too.
    Tonight was fish fingers, last of the oven chips from freezer & a tin of baked beans from the Br*xit cupboard

I have also made a soup from wilting peppers, a bag of y/s soup veg, the last: salad, onion, mushrooms, lardons & potatoes + made a gravy in the frying pan (after dry frying bacon) using last slug of red wine & boiling water + a small pot of sweet chilli dip & a big handful of red lentils.
    It has been zizzed & taste tested by DH & I - delish 😋 Tomorrow I will bake the last bag of hm croutons. At least two days lunch & hopefully enough lo to freeze a portion.

Tomorrow I need to empty & clean fridge - make sure nothing is lurking & check/update my freezers lists.

So nothing binned

MrsSD
    • Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    • By Mummy2cheekymonkeys 17th Jan 19, 7:51 AM
    • 220 Posts
    • 1,526 Thanks
    Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    Lunch was a portion of the cottage pie I made the other day. Tonight's supper will be a cheese omelette. I've still got eggs to use up from NYE when I bought some for my friend's breakfast as they were staying over. They're near the UBD so guess I need to use them.
    Originally posted by ninnoodle
    The eggs will be fine for ages. We had some recently that were still OK a month past the date. Put them in a jug of water. If they sink they are fine. Once they start getting less fresh they will stand on their end and when they are off they will float. It really does work.
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 17th Jan 19, 8:36 AM
    • 1,464 Posts
    • 17,625 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    I always test my eggs his way, even newly bought ones! After a rather unpleasant experience with supposedly fresh eggs from ndn in France
    • ninnoodle
    • By ninnoodle 17th Jan 19, 10:24 AM
    • 428 Posts
    • 2,076 Thanks
    ninnoodle
    The eggs will be fine for ages. We had some recently that were still OK a month past the date. Put them in a jug of water. If they sink they are fine. Once they start getting less fresh they will stand on their end and when they are off they will float. It really does work.
    Originally posted by Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    Thanks, I was a little bit wary as I am away all next week and wouldn't have had a chance to use them then. Still, the cheese omelette was very nice!

Well today I woke up to several inches of snow here in the Highlands. I really wanted a hot bowl of comforting porridge for breakfast, but I'm out of oats and am trying to use up things in the cupboard, freezer & fridge. So freezing cold smoothie it was - actually it was very nice, once I managed to stop my teeth from chattering.
    Today's lunch is a portion of h/m chickpea and peach curry out the freezer with some rice. Tonight will be a cheese omelette again. I also have a slab of carrot cake my boyfriend's mum sent round that her friend had baked, so will have that for elevenses
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 17th Jan 19, 11:55 AM
    • 16,639 Posts
    • 142,642 Thanks
    JackieO
    gosh chickpea and peach curry sounds delicious, any chance of the recipe I love alternate currys and am always on the lookout for something different to use up tins with I have three tins of chickpeas in my cupboard two were donated from a friend and one I had forgotten about (used to stick them in large bowls of salad stuff back in the summer) Eating from my stock is going well and today I have a lamb shank slow cooking at the moment It is quite meaty so will do at least two days hopefully
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,227Posts Today

7,068Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It isn't statistically representative true. But to say that tells us nothing isn't correct. It shows what people i? https://t.co/JBLu6Cd8a5

• Very interesting that on my Facebook page (which tends to be more pro Brexit) the same vote, with similar number of? https://t.co/NgYxaQDCnr

• Morning. I'm on my way to @GMB for my 7:40 deals of the week. This week incl how to beat the stamp price hike, a fr? https://t.co/DYJoF6NzKV

• Follow Martin