Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 13th Jan 18, 10:18 AM
    • 16,473Posts
    • 140,934Thanks
    JackieO
    Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)
    • 13th Jan 18, 10:18 AM
    Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :) 13th Jan 18 at 10:18 AM
    Hi chums I see for some reason unbeknown to us all that the previous thread was deleted .OK well lets no be despondant it was 11 months old and I certainly didn't expect it to run as long as it did,but this will no defeat us in our object to LFHW will it .So come on chums get those ideas rolling again for the new year ahead

JackieO xxx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018:Food Budget only Total spend up to end of November since Jan £349.83 December new month spends so far £00
Page 58
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 12th Oct 18, 6:37 PM
    • 5,718 Posts
    • 42,234 Thanks
    joedenise
    Picked up some salmon YS and made teriyaki salmon with pak choi. It was lovely, even though I had to buy the pay choi. Made my own teriyaki sauce rather than using a bottle, cos I hadn't got one, LOL!

Denise
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 12th Oct 18, 7:18 PM
    • 459 Posts
    • 7,600 Thanks
    YorksLass
    My contribution towards LFHW over the coming weeks will be using up as much as I can from the freezer.

Destined for use this coming week are: king size prawns for Saturday curry; slices of roast beef in gravy for Sunday dinner; bacon chops and red cabbage (Monday); sausage (Tuesday); a large chicken breast for jambalaya (Thursday) and mushy peas (Friday).

That will still leave other things for the last week of the month (and probably into November ) - x2 pork shoulder steaks, x4 chipolata sausages, another large chicken breast, x2 lightly dusted cod fillets, kippers (for DH), prawns and mussels, x24 crab-flavoured fish sticks, x4 portions hm chilli, a box of chicken sticks, hm pork mince base, x2 portions beef tagine and x2 portions of corned beef hash.

In addition, I won't be doing any baking this week either. A tidy-up of the drawers revealed a ys angel cake, x4 squares of hm coconut cake and x5 slices of hm fruit loaf.

For puddings - if we want/need them - are half a tub of neopolitan ice cream, sweet waffles, a bag of summer fruits, two bananas (to make ice cream) and x4 pancakes.

I've also got x3 boxes of blackberries that I'll turn into jam this week.

All the odds and sods have been moved to the top drawer to remind me to use them up: a few slices of chorizo, red and green pesto cubes, pate, cubes of tomato puree, some chopped ginger and garlic and a carton of hm spicy bacon & bean soup.

And then there are all the "bread-y" items: crumpets, croissants, plain and wholemeal pitta pockets, foccacia, part-baked mini baguettes and a few slices of hm wholemeal bread.

Oh, the embarrassment of it all! I honestly didn't realise just how much stuff is in there.

I think I could do with joining the Eating out of the freezer and cupboards forum!
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!
    Dec £26.32/110 and 5/28 NSDs (Jan-Nov £170.14 under budget)

• joedenise
    • By joedenise 12th Oct 18, 7:29 PM
    • 5,718 Posts
    • 42,234 Thanks
    joedenise
    Looks like you'll only be needing fruit, veg & milk for the next month!

Most of my main meals will be out of the freezer this month too but I still seem to spend too much every month!

Denise
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 13th Oct 18, 2:05 AM
    • 1,286 Posts
    • 14,500 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    JackieO, I agree sometimes simple is best - DH & I had fish finger sandwiches for Friday’s dinner, having had hm spicy vegetable soup for lunch.

YorksLass, I sorted my freezers today - one in garage & one in kitchen. Completely rearranged the contents but unfortunately I didn’t find anything interesting I was really quite jealous reading your list of ‘freezer finds’ My lists of contents are also updated - so I can menu plan properly. Unfortunately my DSis is a bit fussy but if she doesn’t fancy something she now cooks for herself

LFHW

MrsSD
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 13th Oct 18, 7:41 AM
    • 5,718 Posts
    • 42,234 Thanks
    joedenise
    Really need to sort my freezers - seem to be putting quite a bit in. I seem to remember what I have but not where it is in which freezer! Think I will try and make that a job for early next week!

Denise
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 13th Oct 18, 9:12 AM
    • 16,473 Posts
    • 140,934 Thanks
    JackieO
    I've been thinking back again (no I really don't live in the past all the time )
    But before we had the big white box in the corner (freezer) which was going to transform all our lives and make life easier we probably perhaps didn't have so much food waste in a way, as food was bought to be consumed within a few days for obvious reasons.
    Now we fill our freezers up, and then spend valuable time trying to empty them.

True, we are able to get Y/S stuff and bargains, and like squirrels we horde stuff for the 'just in case' moments in our lives.

But at the same time it's so easy to think of the big white box as a bank.

If you counted up in cash terms, how much cash is actually sitting in the corner of the kitchen ?, sometimes unused or unwanted until you suddenly decide that perhaps its time for a clear-out and proceed to throw xxx amount of pounds into landfill

BY LFHW and altering one's outlook a bit ,using up odds and ends then becomes far more appealing I think..

We were having a discussion about this my friend Margaret and I on the phone last night and as we are both of an age ... shall we say fairly like old cheese and wine quite mature we said that to some of our mutual friends and family we at times sound a bit bonkers as making a meal out of almost anything instead of buying a ready-meal seems to their generation strange, but I find it pretty satisfying to do so.

I was also wondering this morning how much actual food we have all used, and in its turn saved from being binned over the past 18 months or so.

A fair amount I would imagine, I first started this forum as an afterthought, when I read on the internet about a woman I think in one of the Scandinavian countries who had come to realise how much good food was being junked .
    I wrote about it on this site and was so surprised when so many people agreed, and we decided to join forces and try to do as it said on the tin

Here we are 18 months later and what an eye opener its been. I have learnt so much, and had so many great recipes from everyone

I'd just like to thank everyone who has joined in our little experiment and hope we all carry on .

Its seems there are a good few of us who had our light bulb moment and have started to use the cash box in the corner of the kitchen
    So well done everyone I think you are all fantastic
    Onwards and upwards

JackieO xx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018:Food Budget only Total spend up to end of November since Jan £349.83 December new month spends so far £00
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 13th Oct 18, 9:49 AM
    • 5,718 Posts
    • 42,234 Thanks
    joedenise
    Great post JackieO. I certainly won't be throwing anything away from the freezer - don't think anything has been in there for more than about 6 months and even if it has it'll still be good to eat just might look a bit different.

Denise
    • Working Mum
    • By Working Mum 13th Oct 18, 4:23 PM
    • 328 Posts
    • 1,132 Thanks
    Working Mum
    I had to be very frugal when my marriage broke down and one of the things I started to do was allocate a cost to what I was throwing away. I had always thought I had been quite good but when the chips were down I "saved" loads by using everything and throwing hardly anything away.

I would eat a fairly wrinkly apple by justifying that I wouldn't throw 20p in the bin!

I love this thread, I read it every day for inspiration.
    Thank you!!
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 13th Oct 18, 5:42 PM
    • 459 Posts
    • 7,600 Thanks
    YorksLass
    Looks like you'll only be needing fruit, veg & milk for the next month! Denise
    Originally posted by joedenise
    Yup, that's the plan! And don't forget, that list was only what's in the freezer and didn't include fridge/cupboard contents! It will be interesting to see how long I can go before anything else is needed.

Before we had the big white box in the corner (freezer) which was going to transform all our lives and make life easier we probably perhaps didn't have so much food waste in a way, as food was bought to be consumed within a few days for obvious reasons. Now we fill our freezers up, and then spend valuable time trying to empty them. JackieO xx
    Originally posted by JackieO

An interesting and thought-provoking post JackieO. Times (and attitudes) have definitely changed, haven't they?

I can tell by the contents of my kitchen bin there's hardly any waste chez nous so we're certainly doing our bit for LFHW. We don't do take-aways or ready meals either (I prefer to make my own), practically everything is made from scratch and any LOs are magically turned into something else.

Great post JackieO. I certainly won't be throwing anything away from the freezer - don't think anything has been in there for more than about 6 months and even if it has it'll still be good to eat just might look a bit different.Denise
    I think the only thing from the list in my previous post that's ancient is the pate - the look/sniff/taste test may well be employed when that emerges!

Working Mum: I love your justification idea; it's a wake-up call when the food waste is pictured as cash waste.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!
    Dec £26.32/110 and 5/28 NSDs (Jan-Nov £170.14 under budget)

• maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 13th Oct 18, 6:14 PM
    • 3,727 Posts
    • 34,304 Thanks
    maddiemay
    The slow cooker is dealing with a huge pot of beef stew, tired swede and parsnip, languishing potatoes and some carrots, some beef gravy from the freezer and the very last bouquet garni, dried herbs and stock cubes from stock. I had intended to serve it with dumplings, but I think I will have to cook them in some beef stock in a pan as there is no room for them. Hopefully it will be tasty comfort food for tomorrow and some for the freezer for a ready meal.

For 25+ years I had a large chest freezer and was always loosing stuff in there, I much prefer the current upright one, so much easier to keep the freezer log more up to date, I reckon we run at about 90% accuracy
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 13th Oct 18, 7:33 PM
    • 5,718 Posts
    • 42,234 Thanks
    joedenise
    Have made a SC beef bourguignon. Had it for dinner tonight with boiled potatoes, green beans & broccoli. The LOs will be frozen for another meal next month.

Denise
    • Olliebeak1951
    • By Olliebeak1951 13th Oct 18, 7:38 PM
    • 386 Posts
    • 3,650 Thanks
    Olliebeak1951
    Using up four Gluten Free Sausages this evening (bought for my lunch during the week at DD's while 'Nathan-sitting') - maybe I should have frozen them to leave at DD's for future use, but brought them home instead. Bought a giant Sweet Potato during the week as well - that's just been turned into Spicy Wedges. Remains of a pack of mushrooms have been 'chunked' and partially fried/partially steamed (with pan lid over them) to stop them from 'going to nothing in the pan'.

Have had a sort out of jams etc in fridge and spatula-d the last of two jars with Raspberry Jam in - and the last dregs of Lemon Curd as well - all went with toast for breakfast and jars now in the recycling bag .

Only 'fresh stuff' left in the fridge now is 'salad' and 8 eggs - some of which will get used tomorrow with Chicken Drumsticks and Baby Pots. I'll cook extra pots, to make some potato salad for using up during the week !
    Last edited by Olliebeak1951; 13-10-2018 at 7:40 PM.
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 13th Oct 18, 7:43 PM
    • 5,718 Posts
    • 42,234 Thanks
    joedenise
    With all those eggs sounds like you could have a good omelette using up some of the potatoes and some veg.

Denise
    • Olliebeak1951
    • By Olliebeak1951 13th Oct 18, 8:00 PM
    • 386 Posts
    • 3,650 Thanks
    Olliebeak1951
    Oh yes, Denise - omelets/frittatas are very popular in this flat !

I really need to do a freezer inventory ..................... BUT the porch (where the chest freezer lives) is cold/draughty enough, without having to be 'shoulder deep' inside it .
    • Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    • By Mummy2cheekymonkeys 14th Oct 18, 4:23 PM
    • 186 Posts
    • 1,306 Thanks
    Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    Picked up some salmon YS and made teriyaki salmon with pak choi. It was lovely, even though I had to buy the pay choi. Made my own teriyaki sauce rather than using a bottle, cos I hadn't got one, LOL!

Denise
    Can I ask for the recipe for the teriyaki sauce please?
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 14th Oct 18, 11:29 PM
    • 16,473 Posts
    • 140,934 Thanks
    JackieO
    Had a gorgeous dinner at DGD's today and she made a smashing beef joint in the slow cooker bless her it was delicious and even the baby Erin tucked in, as DGD Katie is weaning her and baby eats what Mum and Dad eat.Her little face tasting a finger length piece of the beef was smashing she was grinning gummily at us all Bless her she had a go at everything her Mum put on the plate in front of her .

After dinner whilst DD and I and her OH washed up he was carefully boxing up the left over veg for tomorrow's dinner She has trained him well and nothing got binned ,even though the little cat was looking hopeful, all he got was a few scraps the baby had left

Katie said 'I'm like you Granny nothing goes to waste'
    quite made my day

JackieO
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 15th Oct 18, 7:39 PM
    • 2,960 Posts
    • 8,942 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    I once made the mistake of buying half a pig with my friend Golly I have never seen so much meat I ended up giving half of it away as my freezer was bulging Hope you have the room for a lamb

Nice going with the home made Christmas gifts My sis-in-law makes me delicious onion chutney for christmas and also a tiny christmas cake as I am the only one in the family who eats christmas cake I adore getting home made food for a present ,to me it means so much more than a box of body lotions or similar (which normally end up at the women's refuge as I don't use the stuff )

Home-made shortbread is delicious, and I make some for my friends who are not bakers, but love a small treat.

Taking the time to make something for someone with them in mind to me is very precious and shows how much you care for that person

No cooking tonight for me as its Quiz night at the pub £2.00 all in and I get fed a bargain I think

JackieO xx
    Good evening, first chance to read the thread since last week. Spent the weekend with my elderly aunt and uncle.

Last year we bought half a lamb. So we know what to expect. I'm looking forward to making my own burgers and other tasty lamb dishes.

I love it too when I receive a homemade / homegrown gift. Always so much nicer. For Mother's Day I baked my mum a lemon drizzle cake. I took runner beans down to my aunt and uncle this weekend. Last week I took them a cake and some stewed down, homegrown rhubarb.

Tonight I have made a cottage pie - with homegrown butternut squash mashed into the potato.
    We have the same again tomorrow.

Have completed a stock take -in my fridge to ensure that we eat everything up before we go away for a few days.

Wednesday, I have a lovely treat. My friend and I like meeting up at Jamie's Italian every four to six weeks. Last week I entered into a draw for a free taster meal of their new menu and to my surprise I was picked so we both are going to receive a free meal. Yay!
    £2 Savers Club 2018 no 1 - £500 + £220 + £150 = £870
    Save £12k in 2018 no. 56 - Jan £7342/£6,000 + £220
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 15th Oct 18, 7:45 PM
    • 2,960 Posts
    • 8,942 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    Not really that hungry tonight so I think I shall have some scrambled eggs and crackers with some yogurt and fruit to follow Sometimes you just need something simple and easy

JackieO xx
    Last night we had sardines on toast with lots of cherry tomatoes ( yes, we are still eating fresh tomatoes from the garden). Also included a dash of balsamic vinegar and spring onions. Yum! Yum!
    £2 Savers Club 2018 no 1 - £500 + £220 + £150 = £870
    Save £12k in 2018 no. 56 - Jan £7342/£6,000 + £220
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 17th Oct 18, 9:59 AM
    • 16,473 Posts
    • 140,934 Thanks
    JackieO
    Good Morning chums ,been food shopping already today and only the second time this month and hopefully no more to buy now until November, spent less that £20 as well Mainly fresh fruit and veg and some cheese and eggs.Using lots of stuff from the freezer this month especially in the hope I can defrost it by Christmas.

Tonight dinner is stuffed peppers with mushrooms and cheese and chilli sauce,some steamed cauliflower left from the weekend and new potatoes and a small side salad
    Its my meat -free mid -week -go -to meal, using up odds and ends Its surprisingly filling as well.

As the weather is getting a bit cooler I am going to cook a 2 pint rice pudding in the slow cooker, I snaffled a 2 pint of milk reduced to 30p in the supermarket so that will make me a very large rice pud which will do for the rest of the week as a dessert after dinner so a good filler upper which means a smaller meal for dinner swings and roundabouts I make mine with cinnamon and a good handful of sultanas thrown in and because its slow cooked it swells the fruit nicely I may make some brownies as well as I found some left over dark chocolate squares at the bottom of the fridge and I can use them up in brownies for my DGS for this afternoon after school.

The boys break up on Friday for 2 weeks half term so I will be digging out recipes for stuff to fill their hollow legs. I look after them while their parents are at work.

I may also make some celery soup today as the celery at the bottom of the fridge is getting past its best and I need some nice filling,warming soup for the next few days lunches .

Hope everyone is enjoying some sunshine ,its very pleasant here in Kent ,but I know some of you are getting more than your fair share of rain and bad weather.

Take care all

JackieO xx
    • pamsdish
    • By pamsdish 17th Oct 18, 12:50 PM
    • 1,075 Posts
    • 6,604 Thanks
    pamsdish
    Bought some y.s. pigs liver yesterday, so will have today with cabbage, swede and onion gravy, will only use half the liver, so some to go into freezer stock.
    JAN£200=£107FEB£200=£40MARCH£175=£50
    APRIL£200=£35 May£200=£61 JUNE£200=£6
    JULY £200=£11 AUG£180=£57SEPT£180=£57Lost OCT, under budget
    NOV£150£14LOST the plot. DEC£200-£39=£161-£9=£152-£10=£142-£13=£129-£4=£125-£18=£107,-£23=£84
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,787Posts Today

6,305Users online

Martin's Twitter