Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 13th Jan 18, 10:18 AM
    • 16,465Posts
    • 140,844Thanks
    JackieO
    Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)
    • 13th Jan 18, 10:18 AM
    Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :) 13th Jan 18 at 10:18 AM
    Hi chums I see for some reason unbeknown to us all that the previous thread was deleted .OK well lets no be despondant it was 11 months old and I certainly didn't expect it to run as long as it did,but this will no defeat us in our object to LFHW will it .So come on chums get those ideas rolling again for the new year ahead

JackieO xxx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018:Food Budget only Total spend up to end of November since Jan 349.83 December new month spends so far 00
Page 57
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 8th Oct 18, 8:27 AM
    • 16,465 Posts
    • 140,844 Thanks
    JackieO
    Oh dear Mrs SD how annoying, still Mr Reynard was probably happy at least.

Got some sausages out of the freezer to have with new potatoes and veg for dinner tonight, slowly working my freezer down ,but it takes ages to do I am not buying any more meat or fish until all that's inside it has gone, it really does need defrosting. So my menus are going to be ...a bit of a hotch podge over the next few weeks. Its got to be defrosted before Christmas. There is a bit of wriggle room ,but not a lot.

Right must get a move on as its book club this morning

Have a good Monday chums and keep wrapped up and warm if possible its a bit nippy out

JackieO xx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018:Food Budget only Total spend up to end of November since Jan 349.83 December new month spends so far 00
    • marns
    • By marns 8th Oct 18, 8:38 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 154 Thanks
    marns
    I sometimes cook a jacket and then scoop some out ,bung an egg into the hole and replace it with the scooped out bit and return to either my remoska or the microwave for a few minutes to cook it, great little lunch with just a spud and an egg
    Originally posted by JackieO
    Will have to try that! I love scooping out the middle and mixing it with chedder, fried onion and tinned sweetcorn and popping back in the oven/under the grill to crisp the top. I'm usually cooking for 2/3 so I do an extra couple for the freezer...just take them out in the morning and whack then i the oven for half an hour after work.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 8th Oct 18, 4:47 PM
    • 16,465 Posts
    • 140,844 Thanks
    JackieO
    marns I make sure the spud is virtually ready to eat and normally a few minutes with the egg inside and the 'lid' put back on will cook it through ,not too long though as you want it to be more or less just set and not hard like a scotch egg
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 8th Oct 18, 7:48 PM
    • 26,720 Posts
    • 110,169 Thanks
    candygirl
    Just been out for an Indian. We had bhaji, curries, rice , chips n naan, then coffees, n soft drinks , n it was only 24 for two of usAdded to which I've brought tons of it home
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 8th Oct 18, 8:59 PM
    • 2,960 Posts
    • 8,942 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    Hubby and I both enjoyed leftovers from Sunday dinner for our lunch and dinner today. Will finish the meat up over the next two days.
    Froze the remaining stuffing.
    The rest of the chocolate cake has been frozen for another day.

Yesterday, SIL bought up my Christmas pickled onions, some chutney and carrots. I gave her some homemade tomato ketchup, barbecue sauce, sweet fruit chutney and a gooseberry and orange marmalade. It is great to swap food with family.

Cut up and cooked some aubergines from the garden, then packed them away into a box and frozen down. All ready to add to a moussaka.

Stewed down four cooking apples ready to make a pudding later in the year. (Come from Mum's garden).

Hubby and I went to a quiz on Saturday night and our team won. We won two boxes of Elizabeth Shaw mints - we have put them away for Christmas. We also won a box of Roses in the raffle those we are enjoying at the moment.

Ordered a whole lamb from the local farm. The lambs have had a good life out in the fields. It is much cheaper than buying it in individual pieces and you are able to use all the bits that you can't buy.
    Last edited by Gem-gem; 08-10-2018 at 9:04 PM.
    2 Savers Club 2018 no 1 - 500 + 220 + 150 = 870
    Save 12k in 2018 no. 56 - Jan 7342/6,000 + 220
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 9th Oct 18, 9:42 AM
    • 16,465 Posts
    • 140,844 Thanks
    JackieO
    I once made the mistake of buying half a pig with my friend Golly I have never seen so much meat I ended up giving half of it away as my freezer was bulging Hope you have the room for a lamb

Nice going with the home made Christmas gifts My sis-in-law makes me delicious onion chutney for christmas and also a tiny christmas cake as I am the only one in the family who eats christmas cake I adore getting home made food for a present ,to me it means so much more than a box of body lotions or similar (which normally end up at the women's refuge as I don't use the stuff )

Home-made shortbread is delicious, and I make some for my friends who are not bakers, but love a small treat.

Taking the time to make something for someone with them in mind to me is very precious and shows how much you care for that person

No cooking tonight for me as its Quiz night at the pub 2.00 all in and I get fed a bargain I think

JackieO xx
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 9th Oct 18, 9:40 PM
    • 1,278 Posts
    • 14,413 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Same dinner two nights running HB recipe - Somerset Chicken with boiled potatoes & vegetables. Absolutely scrumptious & not a bit left
    Have also used up some baking ingredients to make rock cakes.
    I am now over the disappointment of not having shepherds pie for lunch on Monday After all the fox did catch & dispose of a rat a few nights ago so he deserves his treats

LFHW

MrsSD
    • Hopeless Case
    • By Hopeless Case 10th Oct 18, 11:24 AM
    • 888 Posts
    • 5,346 Thanks
    Hopeless Case
    Slightly odd question - I've had to pick all of the little pears off my weeping pear tree, as the dogs were killing all the plants underneath trampling them and eating the pears. I've got quite a lot of pears and wonder if they can be used for anything, eg chutney.

The poor tree is on borrowed time, as I'd rather have a tree which produces edible pears, and now I can't even have the pleasure of looking at the ornamental pears on the tree since we adopted piggy pug . I planted it 20 years ago but the last few years growing my own fruit and veg has become more and more important to me
    Nov GC 80.34/200
    NSD target: Nov 1/15
    Bring Your Lunch to Work Target Nov 1/15
    1 a day: Nov 44.75/45
    Tesco CC Aug 18 10,151.56 9950.56 0% 30mnths, First Direct CC Aug 18 4321.80 3968.77 0% til Feb 20
    • pamsdish
    • By pamsdish 10th Oct 18, 2:38 PM
    • 1,071 Posts
    • 6,582 Thanks
    pamsdish
    Still quite incapacitated getting concerned about veggies I bought, have left,2 caulis, bit of broccoli, cabbage, 2 bags of kale, swede, would normally have something cooked most days, seem to be living on something on toast at the moment.
    JAN200=107FEB200=40MARCH175=50
    APRIL200=35 May200=61 JUNE200=6
    JULY 200=11 AUG180=57SEPT180=57Lost OCT, under budget
    NOV15014LOST the plot. DEC200-39=161-9=152-10=142-13=129-4=125
    • Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    • By Mummy2cheekymonkeys 10th Oct 18, 4:02 PM
    • 186 Posts
    • 1,305 Thanks
    Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    Slightly odd question - I've had to pick all of the little pears off my weeping pear tree, as the dogs were killing all the plants underneath trampling them and eating the pears. I've got quite a lot of pears and wonder if they can be used for anything, eg chutney.

The poor tree is on borrowed time, as I'd rather have a tree which produces edible pears, and now I can't even have the pleasure of looking at the ornamental pears on the tree since we adopted piggy pug . I planted it 20 years ago but the last few years growing my own fruit and veg has become more and more important to me
    Originally posted by Hopeless Case
    I recently made a apple and pear chutney. Haven't tried any yet as it's maturing but it smelt nice. A few years ago I made jars of pickled pears which were delicious with custard.
    I always include pears in a crumble so normally peel and dice them and freeze them for the winter.
    Hope that helps.
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 10th Oct 18, 4:50 PM
    • 1,278 Posts
    • 14,413 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Still quite incapacitated getting concerned about veggies I bought, have left,2 caulis, bit of broccoli, cabbage, 2 bags of kale, swede, would normally have something cooked most days, seem to be living on something on toast at the moment.
    Originally posted by pamsdish
    How about washing, chopping & freezing OR cooking & making soup to freeze.

MrsSD
    • Hopeless Case
    • By Hopeless Case 10th Oct 18, 4:55 PM
    • 888 Posts
    • 5,346 Thanks
    Hopeless Case
    I recently made a apple and pear chutney. Haven't tried any yet as it's maturing but it smelt nice. A few years ago I made jars of pickled pears which were delicious with custard.
    I always include pears in a crumble so normally peel and dice them and freeze them for the winter.
    Hope that helps.
    Originally posted by Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    Thanks - could you use small unripe pears? The weeping pear pears are normally considered inedible as they stay hard and don't sweeten up or ripen really, but they might work in a chutney
    Nov GC 80.34/200
    NSD target: Nov 1/15
    Bring Your Lunch to Work Target Nov 1/15
    1 a day: Nov 44.75/45
    Tesco CC Aug 18 10,151.56 9950.56 0% 30mnths, First Direct CC Aug 18 4321.80 3968.77 0% til Feb 20
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 10th Oct 18, 9:37 PM
    • 26,720 Posts
    • 110,169 Thanks
    candygirl
    Had my LO curry, n bhaji from the other night with a little salad.Easy tea

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 11th Oct 18, 4:29 AM
    • 1,278 Posts
    • 14,413 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Wednesday made spaghetti Bol - one portion of meat sauce for freezer. Also used up last of potatoes, tomatoes, green peppers from freezer, mushroom juice from soaking dried porcini mushrooms & other odd bits to make a soup. Will blitz & freeze although may have a bowl for lunch with hm croutons.

MrsSD
    • pamsdish
    • By pamsdish 11th Oct 18, 8:58 AM
    • 1,071 Posts
    • 6,582 Thanks
    pamsdish
    How about washing, chopping & freezing OR cooking & making soup to freeze.

MrsSD
    Originally posted by Mrs Salad Dodger
    Trouble is freezers are quite full, thinking I may dehydrate some, freeze what I have to, forgot carrots and there`s still some beans growing.
    • wort
    • By wort 11th Oct 18, 6:59 PM
    • 906 Posts
    • 11,067 Thanks
    wort
    If you make soup it will keep in the fridge for lunches for a few days.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • Wraithlady
    • By Wraithlady 11th Oct 18, 7:10 PM
    • 68 Posts
    • 320 Thanks
    Wraithlady
    Thanks - could you use small unripe pears? The weeping pear pears are normally considered inedible as they stay hard and don't sweeten up or ripen really, but they might work in a chutney
    Originally posted by Hopeless Case
    Poaching pears is the traditional way of dealing with unripe pears, so would imagine that chutney would be ok. May be best to delay adding vinegar until a little later in the process, otherwise you may get hard lumps of pear (for the record, I have never tried this). Diana Henry has a recipe for pear jam if you're interested.
    • pamsdish
    • By pamsdish 12th Oct 18, 8:48 AM
    • 1,071 Posts
    • 6,582 Thanks
    pamsdish
    Looking at freezer stock I see a piece of beef skirt listed, from memory it`s quite a large piece, will defrost that for slow cooking tomorrow, with veggies from freezer, if I make a good amount could be a couple of days meals, any left overs could then be frozen for future meals.
    That will give me SOME freezer space hopefully. Some out, less in.??
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 12th Oct 18, 5:36 PM
    • 16,465 Posts
    • 140,844 Thanks
    JackieO
    Not really that hungry tonight so I think I shall have some scrambled eggs and crackers with some yogurt and fruit to follow Sometimes you just need something simple and easy

JackieO xx
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 12th Oct 18, 5:48 PM
    • 26,720 Posts
    • 110,169 Thanks
    candygirl
    I'm in a cba mood, so am just having a couple of Indian samosas.My God they're hot

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,669Posts Today

8,490Users online

Martin's Twitter