Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 13th Jan 18, 10:18 AM
    • 16,244Posts
    • 138,680Thanks
    JackieO
    Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)
    • 13th Jan 18, 10:18 AM
    Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :) 13th Jan 18 at 10:18 AM
    Hi chums I see for some reason unbeknown to us all that the previous thread was deleted .OK well lets no be despondant it was 11 months old and I certainly didn't expect it to run as long as it did,but this will no defeat us in our object to LFHW will it .So come on chums get those ideas rolling again for the new year ahead

JackieO xxx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018
    Half year totals = 166.19. July added equals 204 .29,Todays August food shop added equals 227.75
    1st Sept 34.66:15th Sept 34.44 totals 262.19
Page 54
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 11th Sep 18, 12:23 PM
    • 26,074 Posts
    • 55,567 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    :Morning all. Does anyone have any ideas for what to do with a large pot of coleslaw. It is left over from our celebrations and no one apart from me likes it. I was wondering if I could turn it in to some sort of pasta sauce?
    Originally posted by FrugalinShropshire
    I'd probably eat salad all week - iceberg lettuce and coleslaw are good bedfellows - just to use it up. (I had some just yesterday at my mum's home - both YS - it was delicious and a lovely treat). I don't like the idea of freezing mayonnaise, and part of the fun of coleslaw is the crunch which will be lost on defrosting. Or turn it into a cold pasta salad with cheese and other condiments. I think that diluting in this fashion would make it rather more palatable to your family.

I was determined not to let the bag of unopened spinach sitting in my fridge turn to mulch so made a curried lentil and carrot soup to use it up yesterday. The lentils were boiled until soft - I didn't even use a stock cube - and I then added the spinach to a small amount of curry paste I had fried off before pulping and adding to the lentils, along with some chopped carrots for bite. Lastly I added seasoning and some chopped spring onions from my garden (planted from a leftover bulb, so waste avoided there too). It tasted blander than my usual offering, I rationalised that the taste will have developed by this evening. Healthy and filling, with 3 meals in the freezer
    Last edited by VfM4meplse; 11-09-2018 at 12:30 PM.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • FrugalinShropshire
    • By FrugalinShropshire 11th Sep 18, 1:41 PM
    • 206 Posts
    • 1,886 Thanks
    FrugalinShropshire
    Just found a recipe for baked coleslaw Basically you mix it with grated cheese then make a topping of breadcrumbs, cheese and butter and bake in the oven until crispy. Might give this a go to have with jacket potatoes tonight
    Now Mrs FrugalinShropshire Proud to be mortgage and debt free
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 11th Sep 18, 7:01 PM
    • 423 Posts
    • 7,177 Thanks
    YorksLass
    Just found a recipe for baked coleslaw Basically you mix it with grated cheese then make a topping of breadcrumbs, cheese and butter and bake in the oven until crispy. Might give this a go to have with jacket potatoes tonight
    Mmm, that sounds good. And congratulations on becoming a Mrs.

JackieO: Good job I wasn't having a cuppa when I read about your DGS Jack and the toilet rolls! My old Grandma used to say that common sense doesn't always sit comfortably with brains.

On Sunday we had a roast dinner with a lovely piece of beef silverside. More consumed last night as a stir-fry with noodles ( a stir-fry sauce used up) and this morning I've frozen some slices in gravy for future use. The rest is in chunks to make a beef tagine for tomorrow.

Tonight we're having coronation chicken (large breast piece hoicked from the freezer and cooked on Sunday while the oven was on) with garlic & herb potato wedges to use up the last of the new potatoes and a side salad. Pudding, if wanted, can be sticky toffee Pud in a Mug bought earlier in the year as RTC for about 20p a packet.

Today I've had a tidy-up of the freezer (again ) and now everything is in its rightful place. I've even got some space in there but I shall resist filling it with more "stuff" as next month I'd like to begin prep for "you-know-when" (things like stuffing, mince pies, pigs in blankets etc).
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!
    Sep 97.93/140 and 10/28 NSDs (Jan-Aug 211.81 under budget)

• Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 13th Sep 18, 12:23 AM
    • 1,017 Posts
    • 11,766 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Pork chop, mash & roasted veg. for dinner tonight. Peeled & cooked all my potatoes so the lo mash has been boxed & put in freezer.
    Last edited by Mrs Salad Dodger; 13-09-2018 at 12:23 AM. Reason: Typo
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 13th Sep 18, 7:28 AM
    • 16,244 Posts
    • 138,680 Thanks
    JackieO
    Good morning chums Yes Joedenise it doesn't seem possible that the smiley happy little chap toddling around with his year younger brother in babygrows is now a tall young man soon off to make his way into the world
    Our 'Gentle Jack' will be greatly missed at home,He frantically messaged me last night to say he had forgotten to put a frying pan on his list so I nipped into the local large Tescos and treated him to one. I have also sellotaped his name to the handle as new stuff in Halls tends to go 'walkabout ' I learned that when his older brother Ben went to Norwich 4 years ago

I did restrain myself in Tescos though, and just had a good mooch around as I have not been in there for awhile

Gosh the prices have gone up haven't they I have retrained myself to Aldi's for the most part, and I couldn't believe the difference in the prices for a lot of the goods in there .

I am due for my second shop this month this saturday morning ,can't say I'm at all tempted by Tescos though.

Last night I had a salad with sweet chilli pork fillet from the freezer which was delicious.I also had some plain natural yogurt with some chopped up apple and a sprinkle of cinnamon for pudding at that too was rather yummy. I buy a big pot of the plain value natural yogurt for around 45p and just add my own flavours far less pricey than the Muellers ones.A few crushed up bran flakes will give that 'crunch' to it as well.
    Tonight's dinner is a chicken quarter from the freezer defrosted and coated with a lemon and herb rub and wrapped in foil and done in my remoska. I also have some rhubarb that I cooked last night, as at our U3A meeting yesterday someone brought in two huge baskets of surplus stuff from their allotment for people to help themselves to rather than binning it I also had a small bag of multi coloured tomatoes as well which I will use up, the yellow ones were delicious last night ,even though it seemed odd at first eating a yellow tomato

Have a good day chums what ever you are doing enjoy

JackieO xx
    Half year totals = 166.19. July added equals 204 .29,Todays August food shop added equals 227.75
    • Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    • By Mummy2cheekymonkeys 13th Sep 18, 9:19 AM
    • 166 Posts
    • 1,153 Thanks
    Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    Last night's dinner was http://www.itv.com/savemoneygoodfood/recipes/bacon-spinach-and-broccoli-strata
    It helped to get rid of some YS eggs, bread, tomatoes and kale which I swapped instead of the spinach. So I'm really happy that none of it got wasted and it was really tasty. There's half left for dinner tonight too.
    • Hopeless Case
    • By Hopeless Case 13th Sep 18, 10:35 AM
    • 752 Posts
    • 4,348 Thanks
    Hopeless Case
    Admitted defeat with the last bit of the watermelon DD left when she stayed over the bank holiday - I have been eating it and there was only one slice left which had sat there untouched for a few days, and was squishy and fermented-smelling!

Also had to give up on a windfall pear which was black inside and out, I've been managing to get windfall apples and pears while out walking the dogs which have good, tasty edible bits for a few weeks but they're pretty well over now and this was the last of the pears - shame! It's been good while it lasted though so can't complain!
    Sept GC 62.58/240
    NSD target: Aug 21/20, Sept 8/14
    Sept Bring Your Lunch to Work Target
    6/13
    1 a day: Aug 60.88/31
    Sept 29.63/30
    Tesco CC 10,151.56 0% 30mnths, First Direct CC 4321.80 4111.7 0% til Feb 20
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 13th Sep 18, 10:42 AM
    • 64,232 Posts
    • 376,912 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    .... baked coleslaw...
    I do that occasionally, but I've always called it cheese & veg bake
    I eat it mostly as the main part of a meal and serve with beans ... sometimes a poached egg just if they need using up and I'm feeling in full piggy mode.

I was thinking about it just yesterday ... but moved on as I already have enough food that needs to be eaten and buying new food doesn't make the "stuff I really don't fancy" go away so I have to try to be harsh with bringing new food into the house and force myself to eat what I've already got.
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 13th Sep 18, 7:07 PM
    • 423 Posts
    • 7,177 Thanks
    YorksLass
    On Sunday we had a roast dinner with a lovely piece of beef silverside. More consumed last night as a stir-fry with noodles ( a stir-fry sauce used up) and this morning I've frozen some slices in gravy for future use. The rest is in chunks to make a beef tagine for tomorrow.
    Originally posted by YorksLass
    Beef tagine made (a packet sauce mix used up ) and eaten last night with sprouts and mashed potato. Enough left over to freeze for a hm ready meal.

Tonight's offering is a cross between lasagne and moussaka - a large quantity of pork mince and veg base (using a lasagne packet sauce ) done in the sc yesterday. Two portions went in the freezer and the other is for tonight, layered with potatoes and covered with a white sauce and grated cheese. Will also use up the last of the sweetheart cabbage which was disappointingly bland. I'll liven it up with butter, black pepper and caraway seeds.

Various bits have come out of the freezer this week too - crumpets, hm soup, croissants, pancakes - but there's still a lot to go at. Oh well, it all helps to keep the pennies in my purse.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!

• JackieO
    • By JackieO 13th Sep 18, 11:18 PM
    • 16,244 Posts
    • 138,680 Thanks
    JackieO
    I dollop some sweet chilli sauce on sweetheart cabbage YorksLass, but then I do like spicy things and use quite a bit of that in my cooking ,yet I can't abide tomato ketchup at all,or brown sauce.
    I will even dollop sweet chilli sauce into baked beans to 'liven' them up a bit

I steamed some sweetheart cabbage tonight to have with my dinner and made extra for tomorrow night which is in the fridge in a take away box to reheat in the microwave tomorrow night also steamed extra charlotte potatoes to use tomorrow night as well well the steamer is on anyway so it cuts down on cooking tomorrow night
    • Working Mum
    • By Working Mum 14th Sep 18, 4:02 PM
    • 241 Posts
    • 773 Thanks
    Working Mum
    I think I am going to get my slow cooker out at the weekend!!! There is a nip in the air.

So tea for me last night was a right weird one!! I have nothing left in my fridge now - I had 1/4 of a bag of gnocchi fried in butter with a green pepper, seasoned with Steenbergs, sploshed some sour cream in it and a few capers with a poached egg on top!

I love this thread and read it every day and come away inspired, thank you all for your contributions!
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 14th Sep 18, 5:11 PM
    • 423 Posts
    • 7,177 Thanks
    YorksLass
    I dollop some sweet chilli sauce on sweetheart cabbage YorksLass, but then I do like spicy things and use quite a bit of that in my cooking ,yet I can't abide tomato ketchup at all,or brown sauce. I will even dollop sweet chilli sauce into baked beans to 'liven' them up a bit
    Originally posted by JackieO
    Yes, we're "spicy" too! I always buy the biggest bottle I can of sweet chilli sauce (usually KTC) as it works out considerably cheaper than the small bottles. We do have ketchup and brown sauce but don't use a lot of them so they're not a frequent buy. In the end, the cabbage wasn't too bad with the butter, pepper and caraway seeds but I'll not be in a hurry to buy it again and will get the darker types as I usually do.

I think I am going to get my slow cooker out at the weekend!!! There is a nip in the air.
    Originally posted by Working Mum
    Yup, autumn's definitely knocking on the door so my sc's had its summer rest and will be used regularly over the coming months.

First - and only - spend of the week today for potatoes, x2 pork pies, sliced lunch tongue and roast pork for sandwiches and fresh milk so a very frugal week indeed. My sm shopping list has 8 items on it but none of them is urgent and I know I have enough in stores for all next week's meals so I'll put off the sm shop for a bit longer.

• whiteguineapig
    • By whiteguineapig 15th Sep 18, 5:04 PM
    • 1,221 Posts
    • 6,497 Thanks
    whiteguineapig
    JackieO

The packs of beetroot are in the aldi super 6 at 29p (not sure when this offer changes though)
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 16th Sep 18, 7:22 AM
    • 5,353 Posts
    • 39,942 Thanks
    joedenise
    Hope it lasts another week until I get home from France!

Denise
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 16th Sep 18, 7:36 AM
    • 16,244 Posts
    • 138,680 Thanks
    JackieO
    Thanks whiteguinea pig I will get some tomorrow if I can as I individually wrap and freeze them and use as and when needed. No cooking today I am driving my DGS Jack to Uni in Hertfordshire so we are having a pub lunch today with all the family
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 16th Sep 18, 7:58 AM
    • 5,353 Posts
    • 39,942 Thanks
    joedenise
    Just checked the Aldi website and Super 6 is on until 26th September. Will be able to get some when I get home.

Denise
    • pamsdish
    • By pamsdish 16th Sep 18, 8:14 AM
    • 995 Posts
    • 5,994 Thanks
    pamsdish
    I got seduced by the glossy sleekness of the aubergines, bought 4, need ideas for using up, don`t mind preserving either, could dry or freeze.
    JAN200=107FEB200=40MARCH175=50
    APRIL200=35 May200=61 JUNE200=6
    JULY 200=11 AUGUST180=57
    [COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3]SEPT[COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=Black] 180-60=120,-8=112,-5=107,-21=86,-37=49,-32=17,-33=-16
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 16th Sep 18, 8:25 AM
    • 518 Posts
    • 7,368 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    Aldi have chestnut mushrooms on offer 59p so I'll get some and make tomato and lentil bolognese, use up some of the lentil 'mountain'

Any suggestions please, I have 4 tins of Five beans,usually use with couscous but would appreciate suggestions?
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 16th Sep 18, 8:40 AM
    • 3,906 Posts
    • 6,113 Thanks
    bouicca21
    Aubergine pasta bake. Cook some pasta. Slice and fry the aubergine(s), make a simple mince and tomato sauce, chop some chorizo, chop and mix mozzarella with some grated pecorino. Layer in a baking dish. Bake. Simples.
    • freyasmum
    • By freyasmum 16th Sep 18, 8:48 AM
    • 16,652 Posts
    • 48,628 Thanks
    freyasmum
    silver-oldie

I made this recently, and I really enjoyed it -
    https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/kidney-bean-curry
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,468Posts Today

8,225Users online

Martin's Twitter