Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 13th Jan 18, 10:18 AM
    • 16,469Posts
    • 140,882Thanks
    JackieO
    Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)
    • 13th Jan 18, 10:18 AM
    Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :) 13th Jan 18 at 10:18 AM
    Hi chums I see for some reason unbeknown to us all that the previous thread was deleted .OK well lets no be despondant it was 11 months old and I certainly didn't expect it to run as long as it did,but this will no defeat us in our object to LFHW will it .So come on chums get those ideas rolling again for the new year ahead

JackieO xxx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018:Food Budget only Total spend up to end of November since Jan £349.83 December new month spends so far £00
Page 48
    • Wraithlady
    • By Wraithlady 14th Aug 18, 10:32 PM
    • 68 Posts
    • 320 Thanks
    Wraithlady
    Not a recipe as such, but if it's anything like damson cheese (we have a damson tree which occasionally goes insane), stew the apples in some water then sieve, add sugar ( usually in a ratio of 2 fruit to 3 sugar), then cook down until you can draw a line in the pan with a spoon which doesn't immediately fill up.

Pour into a container and leave to cool. Wrap in greaseproof paper and keep somewhere dry and cool.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 15th Aug 18, 9:37 AM
    • 26,989 Posts
    • 57,487 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Just dipping into the thread to say that having had a luxury holiday, I feel super-inspired to be MSE (in part by some holiday reading). Since I came back I have scrutinised my cc bills and energy usage, car journeys will be minimised and I will stop throwing food away! To my shame I did rather a lot of this before I went away, it was all veg in the freezer that was going squelchy. Spinach and courgettes are the worst culprits here. Actually, they are the worst offenders - the culprit is me!

I've promised my little niece we'll go conkering and brambling before the end of the month. The pears on my parents' tree are also ripening nicely! The best things in life really are free

I shall enjoy catching up on your posts properly this evening.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 15th Aug 18, 11:16 AM
    • 5,392 Posts
    • 79,339 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Salmon from the freezer in the oven in foil along with a Tian which is rice from store, courgettes from the garden, home grown onions, fresh herbs from the garden a couple of eggs and some grated cheese and I'll serve it with a home grown tomato salad...roll on supper!
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker
    ooh Tian, haven't made one of those for years..... I will make one for DD next week..

Did a Tom Kerridge Salmon traybake yesterday that used up some of the veggies in the fridge - tomatoes, peppers and courgettes especially, as well as a couple of onions. Served it with asparagus that needed using. also made a broccoli soup that saw off some going over broccoli, plus some in the freezer, also used some chicken stock from the freezer and another onion. i will add some of the cheddar mountain to it today and have some for lunch and freeze the rest.

Cheese and lentil loaf for tea with some (more) of the salad mountain and yet another onion gone.

As you may gather, my stock control had got a little out of hand..
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • sashanut
    • By sashanut 15th Aug 18, 12:04 PM
    • 2,998 Posts
    • 27,979 Thanks
    sashanut
    Spent the day in the kitchen cooking - using the tomatoes from the garden.
    1. Tomato soup - which we had for lunch - used up onion and potatoes from the fridge. 1kg of money maker tomatoes. (Rest for lunch tomorrow)
    2. Tomato, red pepper and chilli pasta sauce - using up red pepper from the freezer. 1kg of cherry tomatoes. Divided into two zip bags and frozen.
    3. Sweet fruit chutney - 1kg of tomatoes from the garden, finished up malt vinegar, light brown sugar and sultanas. (12 jars - ready for Xmas).
    4. Ready prepped piccalilli - ready to make tomorrow - used 6 tomatoes.
    5. Made two batches of pastry - used up whole meal flour and 1/2 of ys butter.
    Tomorrow, I plan to make the piccalilli, meat pies from ys meat and if I have the time / energy some black currant curd - use up ys eggs.
    Originally posted by Gem-gem

Hi Gem-gem thanks for the inspo re the toms to use up - just back from 3 weeks hols & we have quite a few toms - and DH doesn't eat them.... Also please do you have a recipe for the black currant curd?? Sounds lovely & we have quite a few of those, too...
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 . Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 15th Aug 18, 1:30 PM
    • 16,469 Posts
    • 140,882 Thanks
    JackieO
    I have left in my fridge, as I am going on holiday on Friday morning

half a jug of UHT milk
    3 eggs
    quarter of a white cabbage
    about 6-8 small new potatoes (charlottes)
    1 apple

Tonight I shall use up the potatoes ,cabbage and some chicken from the freezer for dinner and eat the aplle for pudding

Tomorrows breakfast will be scrambled eggs and crackers (I don't eat bread at all)

The milk I shall use up tomake a flask on Friday morning as I am leaving and any left will go on serial for breakfast

Tomorrow night I am DDs for dinner as we usually eat up her fresh fridge stuff the night before

So nothing will have been binned and my fridge will be empty until I return in two weeks time very happy that using everything up meant no waste whatsoever.Planned down to the last crumb

JackieO
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018:Food Budget only Total spend up to end of November since Jan £349.83 December new month spends so far £00
    • Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    • By Mummy2cheekymonkeys 15th Aug 18, 2:00 PM
    • 186 Posts
    • 1,305 Thanks
    Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    Last night was roasted vegetable lasagne and tonight will be using up the last of the roasted veg with some cous cous and served with some YS pollock fillets I found in the freezer which I will breadcrumb.
    Me and my son had some homemade carrot and lentil soup for lunch and theres enough leftover for lunches for the rest of the week. It used up all the carrots that were going bendy from the veg drawer.
    • purpleybat
    • By purpleybat 15th Aug 18, 4:13 PM
    • 360 Posts
    • 3,044 Thanks
    purpleybat
    Not a recipe as such, but if it's anything like damson cheese (we have a damson tree which occasionally goes insane), stew the apples in some water then sieve, add sugar ( usually in a ratio of 2 fruit to 3 sugar), then cook down until you can draw a line in the pan with a spoon which doesn't immediately fill up.

Pour into a container and leave to cool. Wrap in greaseproof paper and keep somewhere dry and cool.
    Originally posted by Wraithlady
    if this is what you (original poster) mean....
    you need quite a low heat for quite a long time or the apples burn.
    i would advise a recipe for membrillo (sp) quince paste but it works with apples too.
    you peel, core and cook apples as above in a dash of water before leaving them to drain overnight (i put the pulp in cheapo tights and tie them around a cupboard door handle with a bowl underneath). you then put pulp and sugar in a pan and heat slowly while stiring a lot til really thick. spread into an oiled tray and leave in a warm place (not hot) for a day or two. wrap in greaseproof (as above) and scoff with cheese or porky products.

one thing tho, wear long sleeves when making it, it bubbles like a volcano (i have the kitchen ceiling to prove it) and it REALLY hurts if it hits you.
    gc 2017 £1841.27.
    2018 jan £124.69/£130 feb £157.97/£150 mar £221.33/£200 apr £223.04/£250
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 16th Aug 18, 7:23 AM
    • 16,469 Posts
    • 140,882 Thanks
    JackieO
    Morning chums last day before my holidays
    woodfired glad you enjoyed the melting moments they relly are a doddle to make and vanish so quickly

Just got to make breakfast and then I am off round to Dds DGS Jack gets his 'A' level results this morning and DGS Henry his AS's results so fingers crossed for them both

Have a good day everyone

JackieO xx
    • ScarletRibbons
    • By ScarletRibbons 16th Aug 18, 7:23 AM
    • 422 Posts
    • 5,600 Thanks
    ScarletRibbons
    Thank you for the recipes, Wraithlady and purpleybat.
    i'll give it a go.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 16th Aug 18, 8:23 AM
    • 65,245 Posts
    • 382,867 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    It's absolutely p155ing it down here. Cold, nasty, wet ..... and I have a s0ddin' salad to eat...

I picked up a reduced pack of 5 slices for 70p the other night on a whim - use by date was yesterday, so I do have to eat the last two slices of that... and I bought a cucumber last week and some cherry tomatoes - both which need using up. There's also a boiled egg and some coleslaw.

So it's s0ddin' salad. I don't like salad really ... I usually have one cucumber a year as getting through a whole one is such a faff .... but, for some reason, I've bought two this year.

I'd like chips with that.... but I've only one portion left in the freezer and there's no way I'm going out of the house today in this weather, so I prefer to hold onto those chips rather than use them

Zero waste.... be very careful what you buy - because you are going to have to eat it .... even if it's "the wrong food" for the day
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 16th Aug 18, 9:25 AM
    • 5,392 Posts
    • 79,339 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Oh dear PasturesNew, that did make me enjoy your s0ddin salad...

Can you add something to liven it up?

Froze two portions of broccoli soup yesterday after having one for lunch

today's lunch will be to use up some going OOD hummus on some rice cakes.

Tea is chicken fajitas - that will use up the last old onion and some peppers as well as some s0ddin salad
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • Spider In The Bath
    • By Spider In The Bath 16th Aug 18, 9:37 AM
    • 1,364 Posts
    • 4,883 Thanks
    Spider In The Bath
    ...I usually have one cucumber a year as getting through a whole one is such a faff .... but, for some reason, I've bought two this year...
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Cook the cucumber to use it up. You can add it to any soup you liquidise and can't tell it is in there. Or, cut into batons and and to stir frys.
    • Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    • By Mummy2cheekymonkeys 16th Aug 18, 9:46 AM
    • 186 Posts
    • 1,305 Thanks
    Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    Haha I'm going to have s0ddin salad for dinner too. Although it will be a side salad served with a potato and bacon tortilla which will use up 12 YS eggs. I've got 30 left from the original 120
    It will also use up the last of the potatoes in the cupboard which are starting to sprout.
    OH popped to the shop for bread last night and came back with a bag full of YS fruit and veg so need to try and get that used up asap.
    Hope all goes well for your grandsons results JackieO and that you have a lovely holiday.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 16th Aug 18, 9:07 PM
    • 26,989 Posts
    • 57,487 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    It's absolutely p155ing it down here. Cold, nasty, wet ..... and I have a s0ddin' salad to eat...
    I'm having s0ddin' salad as well - been eating it (carrots and baby spinach) all week with hummus and flatbreads. But I know what you mean PN, today is the first time in weeks I haven't felt the sun on my face and I can actually feel the damp in the air. It's made me realise that I am dreading winter, if only for fear of my fuel bills!

I picked up a reduced pack of 5 slices for 70p the other night on a whim - use by date was yesterday, so I do have to eat the last two slices of that...
    5 slices of what, or would it be rude to ask?

I've decided my new strategy is to keep the fridge as empty as possible, to ensure that I actually eat what's in it instead of throwing it away. Week 1 is going well

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 16th Aug 18, 10:10 PM
    • 1,283 Posts
    • 14,457 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Not very MSE - we had the Colonel’s chicken for dinner last night but enough lo for snacks for two AND a dinner for 1 - so tonight DSis had the lo chicken, DH had fishfinger sandwiches & I had herring in tomato sauce on toast.

I did love the tales of s0ddin’ salad

MrsSD
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 17th Aug 18, 5:16 PM
    • 1,283 Posts
    • 14,457 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    I despair of my DSis She buys perishable snack items, puts them in her dedicated section of the fridge (a salad drawer) forgets them & then bins them without even doing a smell test BUT this is my last post on the matter I will only be admitting my own failures or successes

So no failures but have been successfully using up leftovers My last lot of los is rocket & mixed lettuce with some coleslaw, a bit of honey & mustard dressing & the last of the ‘Farmers Market’ salami. Had a few mouthfuls for lunch but have saved the rest for tonight’s dinner Very tasty Will be cooking fish, chips & peas for DH & DSis.

Having sorted the food cupboards & freezers, I am now concocting a menu plan for the next 7 days

‘I’ LFHW

MrsSD
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 17th Aug 18, 11:16 PM
    • 16,469 Posts
    • 140,882 Thanks
    JackieO
    I had a portion of cabbage left that I hadn't cooked in the fridge this morning before I left to go on holiday so I diced it up and chucked into a ziplock bag and its go into the freezer.

Now at our holiday house on the IoW and its just nice and warm this evening and my son-in-law did a BBQ and we had odds and ends that we had brought with us. WI-Fi is a bit hit and miss but not too bad, just disappeares now and again so my posts will be short and sweet
    Night, Night, God Bless all here

JackieO xx
    • thriftmonster
    • By thriftmonster 18th Aug 18, 8:17 AM
    • 1,632 Posts
    • 7,830 Thanks
    thriftmonster
    Love this thread and read along all the time. Ds2 takes care of most leftovers atm but when he goes off to uni mid September I will have to make sure I don't overbuy for one.

We had HM pizza Thursday night and I topped it with half a jar of left over salsa and the end of a jar of pesto - two jars cleared and it worked well as a sauce. Topped with pepperoni, sweetcorn and cheese.

Just making a shopping list and keep crossing things out to be replaced with stuff in the cupboard instead. Will go blackberrying later to make compote for my brekkies this week - adding in a couple of wrinkly apples.
    “the princess jumped from the tower & she learned that she could fly all along. she never needed those wings.”
    Amanda Lovelace, The Princess Saves Herself in this One
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 18th Aug 18, 11:03 PM
    • 2,960 Posts
    • 8,942 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    Hi Gem-gem thanks for the inspo re the toms to use up - just back from 3 weeks hols & we have quite a few toms - and DH doesn't eat them.... Also please do you have a recipe for the black currant curd?? Sounds lovely & we have quite a few of those, too...
    Originally posted by sashanut
    Good evening Sashanut,

This is the website that I got the black currant curd recipe from.

https://daydreamingfoodie.com/making-blackcurrant-curd/

I made a 500g blackcurrant batch. In the Bain-Marie (water bath) I couldn't get the curd up to the 82 degrees, so I checked a couple of other recipes which did t mention a temperature and they all cooked them for longer. So I stirred it for 25-30 minutes.
    I have decanted it into my jars and to be on the safe side stored it in the fridge.
    I had my first taste today. It tastes delicious.
    £2 Savers Club 2018 no 1 - £500 + £220 + £150 = £870
    Save £12k in 2018 no. 56 - Jan £7342/£6,000 + £220
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 19th Aug 18, 10:53 AM
    • 26,989 Posts
    • 57,487 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Good evening Sashanut,

This is the website that I got the black currant curd recipe from.

https://daydreamingfoodie.com/making-blackcurrant-curd/

I made a 500g blackcurrant batch. In the Bain-Marie (water bath) I couldn't get the curd up to the 82 degrees, so I checked a couple of other recipes which did t mention a temperature and they all cooked them for longer. So I stirred it for 25-30 minutes.
    I have decanted it into my jars and to be on the safe side stored it in the fridge.
    I had my first taste today. It tastes delicious.
    Originally posted by Gem-gem
    This post reminds me, no summer is complete without a Sunday afternoon in Tiptree. Tea and scones first, followed by a trip to the shop to buy flavours of jams and curds that have the mind boggling!

I had friends over yesterday and yet again have a fridge full of food. Even after packing much up as takeaways, I'll be eating leftovers for 2 days at least, the rest is fresh salad and fruit so I'll try and hold off from shopping until after the BH weekend now.
    Last edited by VfM4meplse; 19-08-2018 at 10:56 AM.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

959Posts Today

6,402Users online

Martin's Twitter