Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 13th Jan 18, 10:18 AM
    • 16,155Posts
    • 137,675Thanks
    JackieO
    Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)
    • 13th Jan 18, 10:18 AM
    Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :) 13th Jan 18 at 10:18 AM
    Hi chums I see for some reason unbeknown to us all that the previous thread was deleted .OK well lets no be despondant it was 11 months old and I certainly didn't expect it to run as long as it did,but this will no defeat us in our object to LFHW will it .So come on chums get those ideas rolling again for the new year ahead

JackieO xxx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018
    Half year totals = 166.19. July added equals 204 .29,Todays August food shop added equals 227.75
Page 48
    • Hopeless Case
    • By Hopeless Case 9th Aug 18, 5:59 AM
    • 637 Posts
    • 3,600 Thanks
    Hopeless Case
    I love picking blackberries - I made 5 jars of jam yesterday from the last few blackberries from last year plus some of this year's, so now i need to go and pick some more to stock up

I tend to get a few each day while I'm out walking the dogs rather than do a big one-off pick, but it is addictive, and I do use them all year

I'm also getting a tad sick of courgettes, still picking 2 or 3 each day and I've got a huge pile of them. I might have to try and cram a few more into the freezer, maybe break my own rules and use a plastic bag rather than an old ice cream tub or food saver so it'll squash (if you'll pardon the pun ) into a smaller space - guess I could wash and re-use a bread bag so I'm not using new singe-use plastic
    June GC 218.09/ 300; July GC 259.17/ 250 ; August 130.47/240
    Aug NSD target 11/20. Aug Bring Your Lunch to Work Target 8/11 Aug 1 a day 58.09/31
    Cashback YTD 4.34- claims in for 38.91 untracked cashback. Tesco CC 8000 0% 30mnths, First Direct CC 4500 0% 18mnths
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 9th Aug 18, 7:14 AM
    • 16,155 Posts
    • 137,675 Thanks
    JackieO
    I have a few left over blackberries in the freezer from last year I will add them to a couple of wrinkly apples and make a couple of turnovers today to take to my DDs for the DGS, they scoff almost anything edible and I am doing my best to empty my freezer.

The boys are brilliant at helping me collect them, and my DD has a large second freezer which will hold this years crop until my freezer has been defrosted, hopefully by the end of September.

I love foraging for them and one of my DGS is just under 6ft and is great at getting those hard to reach ones which I hook the branches down with my walking stick We have a great system they collect, and I cook

I also like them whipped into some plain vanilla ice cream and swirled around I do that with slightly softer strawberries as well. A nice taste of summer in January when the weather is cold and grey

On the last day of our holiday when we are coming home from the IoW we collect them first thing before catching the ferry and they get washed and frozen when we get home Where we stay there are some beauties at the bottom of the garden by the field, which no one seems to bother about.
    We always bring a big empty tub home with us, a better reminder than a stick of rock and a darned sight less expensive

JackieO
    Half year totals = 166.19. July added equals 204 .29,Todays August food shop added equals 227.75
    • Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    • By Mummy2cheekymonkeys 9th Aug 18, 5:54 PM
    • 143 Posts
    • 931 Thanks
    Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    Haha I know what you mean JackieO. I always take my partner when we go blackberry picking as he is 6ft 5. Also very useful for grocery shopping to reach stuff on the top shelf lol.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 11th Aug 18, 8:41 AM
    • 16,155 Posts
    • 137,675 Thanks
    JackieO
    Why do they put stuff so high up on shelves in supermarkets I nearly always have to hunt for a tallish chap and 'borrow ' him I am 5'4" and it drives me nuts .it was OK when my late OH was around as he was 6'2" ,now I have to hunt around for a tallish chap My DDs said Oh Mum, any excuse to pick a chap up in the shops as if

I am going to make a victoria sponge today as I have a good few eggs i want to use up before my holiday so my DGS will get the benefit of free cake next week when I am looking after them Probably make some melting moment or choc chip cookies as well.I shall be getting lots of cuppas made for me over the next few days Roll on next Friday and we will be off to our beloved IoW for a fortnight

have a good and frugal weekend chums

JackieO xx
    • Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    • By Mummy2cheekymonkeys 11th Aug 18, 10:49 AM
    • 143 Posts
    • 931 Thanks
    Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    Why do they put stuff so high up on shelves in supermarkets I nearly always have to hunt for a tallish chap and 'borrow ' him I am 5'4" and it drives me nuts .it was OK when my late OH was around as he was 6'2" ,now I have to hunt around for a tallish chap My DDs said Oh Mum, any excuse to pick a chap up in the shops as if

I am going to make a victoria sponge today as I have a good few eggs i want to use up before my holiday so my DGS will get the benefit of free cake next week when I am looking after them Probably make some melting moment or choc chip cookies as well.I shall be getting lots of cuppas made for me over the next few days Roll on next Friday and we will be off to our beloved IoW for a fortnight

have a good and frugal weekend chums

JackieO xx
    Originally posted by JackieO
    Oh I love melting moments. I always used to make them with my granny when I went round hers for the day. And cheese straws lol. Those were the days. I haven't had them for years!
    Do you have a recipe I could pinch please JackieO?
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 13th Aug 18, 8:52 AM
    • 16,155 Posts
    • 137,675 Thanks
    JackieO
    Good Morning all

Melting Moments

5ozs butter or soft stork marg

3ozs caster sugar

2 tea spoons vanilla essence, OR one tea spoon of vanilla extract

5 ozs self-raising flour

desiccated coconut or some oats

a few glace cherries, quartered to decorate

cream the butter /marg and sugar together until light and fluffy

beat in the vanilla essence/extract

stir in the flour

roll into walnut sized pieces of the mixture and toss in either the
    coconut or oats

place on greased baking trays and flatten slightly with a knife,
    leaving room for each biscuit to 'spread slightly'

decorate with a quarter or sliver of glace cherry in the middle

Bake for 12-15 minutes in the oven until just golden, keep an eye on them as they 'catch' quickly and you don't want dark brown biscuits.

oven heat 180c or 350f gas mark 4 should fill two baking trays around 24 or so biscuits

I like them done to around 12 minutes and they should be slightly 'bendy when they come out let them cool for a minute or two and with a palette knife put them on a wire cooling tray They will crispenup as they cool.I store in a lock'n'lock box but they don't last very long with my DGS around

They are very 'moreish ' Sometimes I will add a bit of cinnamon to them as I like spicy biscuits or some ground ginger if I am making them for myself indoors But my grandsons will devour a plate of these without any problem Very quick and easy to make and my DGC have all over the years 'helped' me make them

I have been making these for well over 60 years, and if I had a quid for each one made I would be a very rich old woman cost very little but are so much nicer than shop bought biscuits .

A good afternoon treat to make when its raining and the kids can't go out to play

No shopping at all to buy this week as I am out tomorrow night and Thursday night to dinner so only two dinner to cook as I am off on my holidays on Friday
    My DGS and I will take a big box of these with us on Friday morning but they will probably last just over the weekend.

The only fresh fruit I have left in the fridge is one apple and a melon. a few new potatoes which I will use up probably tonight and the remains of a white cabbage which will also be used tonight steamed with some chicken from the freezer Wednesday nights dinner will be a chilli from the freezer with some rice Nothing binned at all

Have a good and frugal week chums

JackieO xx
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 13th Aug 18, 9:09 AM
    • 5,312 Posts
    • 78,242 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Morning all

I am going to get my arris in gear about food and start meal planning again. I get very fed up with thinking about what to eat and I think it's because I am doing it every day instead of once a week. Today it is just me here for dinner so i'll drag something out of the freezer but tomorrow i will plan the week up to and including Sunday...

OH needs to lose a lot of weight and i think this will help.

I am (sadly) quite excited...
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    • By Mummy2cheekymonkeys 13th Aug 18, 10:01 AM
    • 143 Posts
    • 931 Thanks
    Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    Thank you for the recipe jackieo. Looks just like I remember. Going to make some asap.

I'm still trying to work through the YS eggs before they go off. I've got about 30 left. Yesterday I made some banana bread and a courgette loaf which managed to get rid of a couple of courgettes from the huge pile of them I have. Seems like no sooner do I use one, another 2 take it's place. This was the recipe https://www.lovefoodhatewaste.com/recipe/courgette-and-sweet-potato-loaf

Today I'm going to roast a load of the courgette with some peppers, aubergine and onion which will be used to make a veggie lasagne and I will also add some to cous cous to serve with some salmon fish cakes that have been in the freezer for a while.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 13th Aug 18, 10:24 AM
    • 12,494 Posts
    • 173,553 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Using up the freezer contents gradually so this morning I used frozen broccoli, peas, onions and leeks to make broccoli cheese soup and I am making blueberry compote for puddings for a few days too, as soon as it's empty the big freezer will be offered on freecycle, no room for it where we are moving to so I hope it finds a new home.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • ScarletRibbons
    • By ScarletRibbons 13th Aug 18, 3:51 PM
    • 310 Posts
    • 4,046 Thanks
    ScarletRibbons
    Don't know if this is the right place to post, but - does anyone have a recipe for apple cheese? Thanks in anticipation!!
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 13th Aug 18, 9:25 PM
    • 2,883 Posts
    • 8,578 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    Spent the day in the kitchen cooking - using the tomatoes from the garden.
    1. Tomato soup - which we had for lunch - used up onion and potatoes from the fridge. 1kg of money maker tomatoes. (Rest for lunch tomorrow)
    2. Tomato, red pepper and chilli pasta sauce - using up red pepper from the freezer. 1kg of cherry tomatoes. Divided into two zip bags and frozen.
    3. Sweet fruit chutney - 1kg of tomatoes from the garden, finished up malt vinegar, light brown sugar and sultanas. (12 jars - ready for Xmas).
    4. Ready prepped piccalilli - ready to make tomorrow - used 6 tomatoes.
    5. Made two batches of pastry - used up whole meal flour and 1/2 of ys butter.
    Tomorrow, I plan to make the piccalilli, meat pies from ys meat and if I have the time / energy some black currant curd - use up ys eggs.
    2 Savers Club 2018 no 1 - 500 +
    Save 12k in 2018 no. 56 - Jan 4096/6,000
    • woodfired
    • By woodfired 14th Aug 18, 7:04 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 139 Thanks
    woodfired
    Hello all.

A long-time lurker here, just wanted to thank you all for the inspiration. Some great ideas on here and I aspire to be as good as you lot at not wasting anything.

I made Jackie's melting moments this afternoon with my kiddies, they are nearly all gone! They are delicious and I am sure will become a family favourite. Thank you.

I also made a lemon courgette cake to try and use up some ginormous courgettes that grew whilst we were on holiday. It wasn't as successful as the biscuits (tasted a bit odd) but was lovely when soaked with lemon syrup to turn it into a drizzle cake. I have frozen some of it for DS birthday next month.
    I have frozen some grated courgette to make again at a later date but not sure how this will defrost.

Thanks again, I love this thread.x
    Nov 17: Mortgage Balance 135 900 Business Loan 83 000 Savings 10 500
    Aug 18: Mortgage balance 128 907 Business Loan 78 328 Savings 11 337
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 14th Aug 18, 7:07 PM
    • 12,494 Posts
    • 173,553 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Salmon from the freezer in the oven in foil along with a Tian which is rice from store, courgettes from the garden, home grown onions, fresh herbs from the garden a couple of eggs and some grated cheese and I'll serve it with a home grown tomato salad...roll on supper!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    • By Mummy2cheekymonkeys 14th Aug 18, 8:10 PM
    • 143 Posts
    • 931 Thanks
    Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    Hello all.

A long-time lurker here, just wanted to thank you all for the inspiration. Some great ideas on here and I aspire to be as good as you lot at not wasting anything.

I made Jackie's melting moments this afternoon with my kiddies, they are nearly all gone! They are delicious and I am sure will become a family favourite. Thank you.

I also made a lemon courgette cake to try and use up some ginormous courgettes that grew whilst we were on holiday. It wasn't as successful as the biscuits (tasted a bit odd) but was lovely when soaked with lemon syrup to turn it into a drizzle cake. I have frozen some of it for DS birthday next month.
    I have frozen some grated courgette to make again at a later date but not sure how this will defrost.

Thanks again, I love this thread.x
    Originally posted by woodfired
    Courgette and lemon cake is one of our favourites since we started growing courgettes.
    As long as you squeeze as much water as possible out of the courgette it should be fine. I find a muslin cloth the best way. I've grated it, squeezed the water out and frozen it before and it's been fine.
    I'm still showed under with courgettes and just seen a few more big ones on the plants. As long as you have a courgette plant in the garden you won't go hungry
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 14th Aug 18, 10:09 PM
    • 893 Posts
    • 10,409 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Tonight - lo onion pasta for DSis; lo mushroom, chicken & pea risotto made into patties,covered with breadcrumbs & fried with a couple of fried eggs on top for DH; lo risotto, a fried egg on a bed of lettuce & rocket for me. Only some lettuce & rocket left which I will have for lunch tomorrow with a couple of slices of salami & a drizzle of salad dressing.

Both freezers now fully sorted & can now get back to a weekly menu plan

LFHW

MrsSD
    • Wraithlady
    • By Wraithlady 14th Aug 18, 10:32 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    Wraithlady
    Not a recipe as such, but if it's anything like damson cheese (we have a damson tree which occasionally goes insane), stew the apples in some water then sieve, add sugar ( usually in a ratio of 2 fruit to 3 sugar), then cook down until you can draw a line in the pan with a spoon which doesn't immediately fill up.

Pour into a container and leave to cool. Wrap in greaseproof paper and keep somewhere dry and cool.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 15th Aug 18, 9:37 AM
    • 25,857 Posts
    • 55,070 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Just dipping into the thread to say that having had a luxury holiday, I feel super-inspired to be MSE (in part by some holiday reading). Since I came back I have scrutinised my cc bills and energy usage, car journeys will be minimised and I will stop throwing food away! To my shame I did rather a lot of this before I went away, it was all veg in the freezer that was going squelchy. Spinach and courgettes are the worst culprits here. Actually, they are the worst offenders - the culprit is me!

I've promised my little niece we'll go conkering and brambling before the end of the month. The pears on my parents' tree are also ripening nicely! The best things in life really are free

I shall enjoy catching up on your posts properly this evening.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 15th Aug 18, 11:16 AM
    • 5,312 Posts
    • 78,242 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Salmon from the freezer in the oven in foil along with a Tian which is rice from store, courgettes from the garden, home grown onions, fresh herbs from the garden a couple of eggs and some grated cheese and I'll serve it with a home grown tomato salad...roll on supper!
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker
    ooh Tian, haven't made one of those for years..... I will make one for DD next week..

Did a Tom Kerridge Salmon traybake yesterday that used up some of the veggies in the fridge - tomatoes, peppers and courgettes especially, as well as a couple of onions. Served it with asparagus that needed using. also made a broccoli soup that saw off some going over broccoli, plus some in the freezer, also used some chicken stock from the freezer and another onion. i will add some of the cheddar mountain to it today and have some for lunch and freeze the rest.

Cheese and lentil loaf for tea with some (more) of the salad mountain and yet another onion gone.

As you may gather, my stock control had got a little out of hand..
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • sashanut
    • By sashanut 15th Aug 18, 12:04 PM
    • 2,890 Posts
    • 26,792 Thanks
    sashanut
    Spent the day in the kitchen cooking - using the tomatoes from the garden.
    1. Tomato soup - which we had for lunch - used up onion and potatoes from the fridge. 1kg of money maker tomatoes. (Rest for lunch tomorrow)
    2. Tomato, red pepper and chilli pasta sauce - using up red pepper from the freezer. 1kg of cherry tomatoes. Divided into two zip bags and frozen.
    3. Sweet fruit chutney - 1kg of tomatoes from the garden, finished up malt vinegar, light brown sugar and sultanas. (12 jars - ready for Xmas).
    4. Ready prepped piccalilli - ready to make tomorrow - used 6 tomatoes.
    5. Made two batches of pastry - used up whole meal flour and 1/2 of ys butter.
    Tomorrow, I plan to make the piccalilli, meat pies from ys meat and if I have the time / energy some black currant curd - use up ys eggs.
    Originally posted by Gem-gem

Hi Gem-gem thanks for the inspo re the toms to use up - just back from 3 weeks hols & we have quite a few toms - and DH doesn't eat them.... Also please do you have a recipe for the black currant curd?? Sounds lovely & we have quite a few of those, too...
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 . Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : 5500 OD GONE, 2000 OD - GONE 93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 15th Aug 18, 1:30 PM
    • 16,155 Posts
    • 137,675 Thanks
    JackieO
    I have left in my fridge, as I am going on holiday on Friday morning

half a jug of UHT milk
    3 eggs
    quarter of a white cabbage
    about 6-8 small new potatoes (charlottes)
    1 apple

Tonight I shall use up the potatoes ,cabbage and some chicken from the freezer for dinner and eat the aplle for pudding

Tomorrows breakfast will be scrambled eggs and crackers (I don't eat bread at all)

The milk I shall use up tomake a flask on Friday morning as I am leaving and any left will go on serial for breakfast

Tomorrow night I am DDs for dinner as we usually eat up her fresh fridge stuff the night before

So nothing will have been binned and my fridge will be empty until I return in two weeks time very happy that using everything up meant no waste whatsoever.Planned down to the last crumb

JackieO
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,919Posts Today

6,475Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin