Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 13th Jan 18, 10:18 AM
    • 16,147Posts
    • 137,484Thanks
    JackieO
    Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)
    • 13th Jan 18, 10:18 AM
    Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :) 13th Jan 18 at 10:18 AM
    Hi chums I see for some reason unbeknown to us all that the previous thread was deleted .OK well lets no be despondant it was 11 months old and I certainly didn't expect it to run as long as it did,but this will no defeat us in our object to LFHW will it .So come on chums get those ideas rolling again for the new year ahead

JackieO xxx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018
    Half year totals = £166.19. July added equals £204 .29,Todays August food shop added equals £227.75
Page 47
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 31st Jul 18, 7:57 AM
    • 16,147 Posts
    • 137,484 Thanks
    JackieO
    Oh crikey I didn't want to do that, wipe those eyes and put on a smile (another of his sayings to my DDs when they were little) Smiles are so much better for you than tears honey.

Today its bright and sunny and I am tasked by my DGS Danny in NYC to buy a bottle of Tequila its my DD and son -in-laws 30th wedding anniversary in August.
    Danny and his wife Haley couldn't think what to get them as DD is definitely not a 'pearl' sort of person.They have had made a set of coasters with their Photos of them on and the date of their wedding, and its in the post to my house for me to give them on the day.

Danny and Hayley live in New York and shan't see them until October when DD and my son-in-law go out there for their annual fall trip.As they always enjoy Margherita's on their trips I have to find a nice bottle to go with the coasters for their celebration on 13th August.I checked out my supermarket.com and found there is a special offer starting today in Tescos so I shall be up there this morning first thing buying some.
    Checkout woman will think I'm an old lush buying it first thing in the morning

Tonight is quiz night so no cooking required tonight and today I am at my youngest Dds house with my three grandsons keeping an eye on them and making lunch etc.The sun is out and it looks like a nice day ,there was a heavy rainfall and storm about 6.30 this morning and its freshened all the air up nicely.
    Hope you all have a good and frugal day,I am eating my way through the fresh stuff as I go on holiday in August so want to make sure nothing is binned from the fridge

Cheers chums

JackieO xx
    Half year totals = £166.19. July added equals £204 .29,Todays August food shop added equals £227.75
    • Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    • By Mummy2cheekymonkeys 31st Jul 18, 1:36 PM
    • 138 Posts
    • 844 Thanks
    Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    That's OK. Like I said I'm pretty emotional at the moment anyway. It was more happy tears at the way you described your children. I thought for a number of years I would not be able to have children but thankfully after a lot of heartache I now have 2 gorgeous boys. I was just sat looking at them both the other day thinking my heart would burst with love for them and I just started crying. You could give me all the money in the world but it would be a drop in the ocean of happiness compared to them.

Sorry to go off topic. Just wanted to let you know how lovely your post was and they were happy,tears not sad ones.
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 31st Jul 18, 1:53 PM
    • 883 Posts
    • 10,285 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    JackieO, I am with M2cm, happy tears through a big smile. What a wonderful thing to have had such a lovely OH & to have such lovely DDs
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 31st Jul 18, 2:57 PM
    • 16,147 Posts
    • 137,484 Thanks
    JackieO
    I have indeed been very lucky and blessed with my family and my two DDs are the best legacy my OH left me.
    We are still waiting with fingers crossed to see if DGS Henry has got any further with his job that he had an interview for.The lady said she would email him today if he was successful or not. he is a good lad and said he want to save up if he gets the job to treat his Mum and Dad to a new TV as their's is getting past its best.I do hope he gets the job ,he is a lind hearted boy .

I got the tequila for the present and will look out some nice wrapping paper from my stash to wrap it in and the coasters when then arrive

I just worked out I only have 11 dinners to sort out before I go on holiday and fingers crossed I can get most of them from my freezer.

JackieO xx

JackieO xx
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 1st Aug 18, 11:54 PM
    • 883 Posts
    • 10,285 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Sorry DGS Henry didnít get the job & grrrr to HR

Both freezers are now full but I need to do some sorting as currently Ďlike isnít with likeí

My menu planning has gone completely to pot since DSis moved in, so I need to give myself a stern talking to Unfortunately she has the rather wasteful habit of buying bread rolls & then not eating them (there are only so many bags of potential croutons I can fit in the freezer ) but at least the flying rats are happy

However I am managing to use up any los (not that there is ever much left ) before the fridge gets too full & I have also started baking again

I will love you and leave you.

Have a good night everyone

MrsSD
    • Hopeless Case
    • By Hopeless Case 2nd Aug 18, 6:51 AM
    • 621 Posts
    • 3,479 Thanks
    Hopeless Case
    Had to throw 2 avocados away yesterday, they were just totally brown inside - hate it when that happens.
    June GC £218.09/ £300; July GC £259.17/ £250 ; August £130.47/£240
    Aug NSD target 6/20. Aug Bring Your Lunch to Work Target 5/11 Aug £1 a day £57.94/£31
    Cashback YTD £4.34- claims in for £38.91 untracked cashback. Tesco CC £8000 0% 30mnths, First Direct CC £4500 0% 18mnths
    • Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    • By Mummy2cheekymonkeys 2nd Aug 18, 5:36 PM
    • 138 Posts
    • 844 Thanks
    Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    Just seen lon the lidl Facebook page that they are going to trial fruit and veg boxes that are slightly damaged to try and cut down on food waste. 5kg for £1.50. It says they are trialling them in 122 stores but they haven't provided a list for which stores they are. Sounds good if you can get your hands on one.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 2nd Aug 18, 7:20 PM
    • 16,147 Posts
    • 137,484 Thanks
    JackieO
    Just seen lon the lidl Facebook page that they are going to trial fruit and veg boxes that are slightly damaged to try and cut down on food waste. 5kg for £1.50. It says they are trialling them in 122 stores but they haven't provided a list for which stores they are. Sounds good if you can get your hands on one.
    Originally posted by Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    Especially in the winter time for lots of soups and casseroles and crumbles, sounds a brilliant idea
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 2nd Aug 18, 10:01 PM
    • 5,281 Posts
    • 39,469 Thanks
    joedenise
    Hope my local one is one of the trial ones! Sounds a great idea.

Denise
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 3rd Aug 18, 4:49 PM
    • 16,147 Posts
    • 137,484 Thanks
    JackieO
    I had a shop in Sainsburys today and just was there at the right time and got more than enough to cover me until I go on holiday with lots of reduced stuff so my shoping bill was a miserly £22.46 with at least 8-9 dinners out of that and quite a bit of fruit and some salad bits as well I was very happy with my expences today

JackieO xx
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 6th Aug 18, 6:50 PM
    • 404 Posts
    • 6,906 Thanks
    YorksLass
    Another one here on holiday countdown - just 6 days to go!

With that in mind, this week's dinners have been planned around existing stocks as I want to clear the fridge before we go. I've already chopped and frozen 2 red peppers that I won't be using this week and tomorrow a couple of carrots will be heading that way too. The freezer doesn't seem to get any emptier even though I've been using stuff from there but at least the contents are in some kind of logical order (for now ).

For yesterday's dinner we had new potatoes, swede & carrot with toad in the hole. Tonight we're having a salad and tomorrow will be a chicken stir-fry, so lots of fresh F&V being used up. No shopping planned at all this week (other than perhaps a pint of milk); instead I'm going on a blackberry hunt as I've noticed the berries are ready for picking now. Lovely, a taste of summer in the winter months.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!
    Aug £0/£175 and 0/35 NSDs (Jan-Jul £84.27 under budget)

• Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 6th Aug 18, 10:02 PM
    • 883 Posts
    • 10,285 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Tonight I used up all the leftovers from the fridge
    Cold beef for DSis with fried lo roasties & new potatoes; Cold beef, fried lo mash & a fried egg for DH & for me, lo green beans & the last of the hm Austrian potato salad, with the last of the cherry tomatoes, a couple of slices of salami & a slice of sourdough.

Still not menu planning but also not shopping

MrsSD
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 7th Aug 18, 2:19 PM
    • 16,147 Posts
    • 137,484 Thanks
    JackieO
    No cooking for me tonight as I am off to quiz night at the pub ,but I am working my way through the fresh stuff and not buying anything else until I come home from my holidays at the end of the month, dinners to make this week are Wed,Thurs,Fri & Sat,next Monday and Wed ,the rest of the time I am out so only 6 dinners for me to find as well.
    • purpleybat
    • By purpleybat 7th Aug 18, 4:53 PM
    • 348 Posts
    • 2,959 Thanks
    purpleybat
    Originally posted by Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    nipped into my local lidl the other day and theyre doing the reduced veg/froot boxes. my fridge is crammed at the mo with courgettes nad runner beans (homegrown) so i didnt buy one. talking to the staff it seems anything f&V can go in as long as its okay quality, i did wonder why the mixes of produce was so strange, reminded me of Ready, Steady... Cook programme.

im getting to the point where im getting fed up of courgettes and runner beans but i refuse to waste them. i remind myself to make the most of them cos its the only time of the year i eat either. possibly cos it takes me the rest of the year until i can face them again.

2 weeks ago i went blackberry picking on local scrubland. 40 mins netted me 5kilos! (why do people buy them?) i made that lot into apple/blackberry jam for a workpal. on sunday i got up early and went and got another 5 kilos which at the mo are in my freezer.

thinking of freezers, im one of the many here that are running one down to defrost. my thinking at the mo is that if its on and half-empty its costing me more money to run, so im going to freeze berries etc that i can easily jam up when the time comes to defrost it. i know if i see space i'll fill it with food, maybe more blackberry picking is called for
    gc 2017 £1841.27.
    2018 jan £124.69/£130 feb £157.97/£150 mar £221.33/£200 apr £223.04/£250
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 7th Aug 18, 6:28 PM
    • 1,324 Posts
    • 29,449 Thanks
    MMF007
    I was given a kilo of plums from a friend's tree so have made plum and ginger jam today. I also had 5 apricots that were quite tasteless so i added those to the jam pan. Tastes great. Not sure how it will set but fingers crossed
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 8th Aug 18, 9:50 AM
    • 5,308 Posts
    • 78,129 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Just had to share this - I know you'll all approve

The other day we went blackberrying and got a goodly amount. On walking back we passed a house offering cooking apples, so helped ourselves (as directed by the sign).

Made blackberry and apple crumble - but there was a lot of liquor left after boiling up the apples and blackberries. So i shoved a bit more sugar in it boiled it up and jarred it - it is now the loveliest jam / jelly . Unfortunately, as i didn't really expect it to work, I didn't sterilise the jar very well (just scalded with boiling water) so we'll have to eat it quickly What a hardship
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 8th Aug 18, 11:17 AM
    • 16,147 Posts
    • 137,484 Thanks
    JackieO
    Brilliant VJsmum ,now that's what I call using up food to its fullest extent

LFHW award of the week

JackieOxx
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 8th Aug 18, 11:44 AM
    • 12,482 Posts
    • 173,417 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Tins to use up today, only a couple of years past BBE date so they'll be fine a lentil dhal and a vegetable Balti together with a 2016 tin of peaches chilling in the fridge to finish with. Moving is good for the pantry!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 8th Aug 18, 11:18 PM
    • 2,881 Posts
    • 8,558 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    Made a mousakka with lamb mince. (Played with the recipe a little!)
    Used home grown aubergine (included a courgette as well).
    Finished of the lasagna sheet (used instead of layers of aubergine).
    Used a bechamel sauce - that has just passed its best before date.
    Hubby tucked into it - it was a hit. Yay!
    £2 Savers Club 2018 no 1 - £500 +
    Save £12k in 2018 no. 56 - Jan £4096/£6,000
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 8th Aug 18, 11:58 PM
    • 883 Posts
    • 10,285 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    MMF007 - how did the jam set ?

Dinner tonight was the contents of last nightís doggy bag from the Chinese with the addition of boiled rice & peas - yummy
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,474Posts Today

8,517Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin