Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 13th Jan 18, 10:18 AM
    • 16,410Posts
    • 140,298Thanks
    JackieO
    Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)
    • 13th Jan 18, 10:18 AM
    Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :) 13th Jan 18 at 10:18 AM
    Hi chums I see for some reason unbeknown to us all that the previous thread was deleted .OK well lets no be despondant it was 11 months old and I certainly didn't expect it to run as long as it did,but this will no defeat us in our object to LFHW will it .So come on chums get those ideas rolling again for the new year ahead

JackieO xxx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018:Food Budget only Total end of October since Jan £307.43 15th November £19.80 first shop of the month
Page 41
    • Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    • By Mummy2cheekymonkeys 13th Jul 18, 2:14 PM
    • 181 Posts
    • 1,285 Thanks
    Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    Had some really rough looking carrots in the veg drawer of the fridge so this morning they got turned into carrot and red lentil soup for lunch. Was nice enough. Went down well with my toddler son and theres enough for us all for lunch tomorrow.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 13th Jul 18, 4:34 PM
    • 16,410 Posts
    • 140,298 Thanks
    JackieO
    It's 'loose' recipe JACKIE and usually the quantities I have to hand get used but this version was

2 good sized leeks cleaned and sliced
    1 large onion peeled and diced
    2 reasonable sized carrots washed and chopped
    1 decent sized potato peeled and chopped
    1 head of broccoli including the stalk (peeled and chopped of course)
    1 teaspoon dried sage
    1 teaspoon dried thyme
    2 bay leaves
    2 1/2 pints of chicken stock (ham,veg or onion does just as well)
    some stilton cheese (odds and ends and whatever you happen to have including the rind if you don't hate the idea)
    some grated cheddar cheese ( to taste, you can add more at the end if want a cheesier soup)
    1/2 pint milk/cream/evaporated milk
    salt and black pepper
    few sprays from an oil spray to start the veg

spray in a heavy based pan with a lid and gently cook the leek and onion until it starts to soften, chuck in everything else except the cheeses and milk, bring to the simmer and cook until all the veg is soft. Take out the bay leaves and add milk/cream/evap, cheese and seasoning and stir until the cheese has melted. Blitz with a stick blender (if you haven't got one food processor/liquidiser does equally well) until smooth and uncus. Do a cheese and seasoning taste test and adjust both if you need to and enjoy something nice!

It works just as well with cauliflower too!

Hope you it if you make it, Lyn xxx.
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker

Hi there thanks for the recipe it sounds right up my street I adore any green veg and with cheese as well I am in savoury heaven.

I have saved it for a slightly cooler day as its very warm here in Kent at the moment, and my back lawn is slowly turning into a dust bowl.

Just trying to think what I actually fancy to eat for dinner, at the moment its looking like another salad of some sort, I may do a tin of tuna and sweetcorn with mayo then I can have the other half tomorrow for lunch as I am out to dinner tomorrow night at DDs house.

Thanks for the recipw I shall look forward to trying it, how well does it keep in the fridge as there is only me at home

JackieO xx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018:Food Budget only Total end of October since Jan £307.43 15th November £19.80 first shop of the month
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 13th Jul 18, 8:04 PM
    • 26,749 Posts
    • 56,948 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Thanks for the recipw I shall look forward to trying it, how well does it keep in the fridge as there is only me at home

JackieO xx
    Originally posted by JackieO
    I can tell you that it keeps well in the freezer, and is lovely as an autumn supper . My results with leeks in soups have been highly variable though. Sometimes they can be just too sharp and need to be offset with something, usually a good dose of milk.

I had another fail today, a full bag of washed spinach I bought on Saturday was beyond eating today. So that's another 63p down the drain, but in future I'll stick to one bag at a time.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 13th Jul 18, 8:34 PM
    • 12,815 Posts
    • 177,087 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Hi JACKIE sorry I obviously didn't read your post properly. I make the whole batch into 6 really good sized portions for the two of us and the soup keeps well in the fridge for 3 or 4 days but as VFM says it freezes really well which extends it almost indefinitely.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • Hopeless Case
    • By Hopeless Case 14th Jul 18, 7:15 AM
    • 888 Posts
    • 5,334 Thanks
    Hopeless Case
    I can tell you that it keeps well in the freezer, and is lovely as an autumn supper . My results with leeks in soups have been highly variable though. Sometimes they can be just too sharp and need to be offset with something, usually a good dose of milk.

I had another fail today, a full bag of washed spinach I bought on Saturday was beyond eating today. So that's another 63p down the drain, but in future I'll stick to one bag at a time.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    I often find that if I buy the bags of washed rocket or baby spinach leaves, they go slimy before I can use them all
    Nov GC £80.34/£200
    NSD target: Nov 1/15
    Bring Your Lunch to Work Target Nov 1/15
    £1 a day: Nov £44.75/£45
    Tesco CC Aug 18 £10,151.56 £9950.56 0% 30mnths, First Direct CC Aug 18 £4321.80 £3968.77 0% til Feb 20
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 14th Jul 18, 7:38 AM
    • 3,701 Posts
    • 34,093 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Someone on a foodie blog that I read advised putting a sheet of kitchen roll in the salad bag, placing the leaves back in on top loosely and then another sheet of paper, gently squeeze out the excess air and roll down and fasten the excess bag IYSWIM, The bag of mixed leaves that I bought Wednesday and opened was perfect yesterday and just a few left for lunch today.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
    • Hopeless Case
    • By Hopeless Case 14th Jul 18, 7:42 AM
    • 888 Posts
    • 5,334 Thanks
    Hopeless Case
    Someone on a foodie blog that I read advised putting a sheet of kitchen roll in the salad bag, placing the leaves back in on top loosely and then another sheet of paper, gently squeeze out the excess air and roll down and fasten the excess bag IYSWIM, The bag of mixed leaves that I bought Wednesday and opened was perfect yesterday and just a few left for lunch today.
    Originally posted by maddiemay
    I don't buy kitchen roll anymore, but I wonder if this would work with a cloth or (small) tea towel instead - worth a try! Thanks
    Nov GC £80.34/£200
    Tesco CC Aug 18 £10,151.56 £9950.56 0% 30mnths, First Direct CC Aug 18 £4321.80 £3968.77 0% til Feb 20
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 14th Jul 18, 8:45 AM
    • 16,410 Posts
    • 140,298 Thanks
    JackieO
    Thanks for that regarding the soup, I usually make and portion and freeze soup if I can as its saves such a lot of bother and its just as easy to make a vat of it as a small amount So even with the cheese and milk it will freeze Ok ,sound like my kind of soup Just awaiting a cooler day as I have most of the ingredients in store ,just have to get some stilton and I may have a look in Dobbies next Tuesday when I go to coffee morning as they often have lots of different cheese reduced I got some gorgeous wensleydale with apricots a couple of weeks ago a big chunk reduced to under a pound.

JackieO xx
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 14th Jul 18, 6:21 PM
    • 454 Posts
    • 7,531 Thanks
    YorksLass
    I bought 6 punnets of 10p YS cherries yesterday
    Originally posted by Hopeless Case
    Bargain! Well done.

We don't get a food waste here but we do get a garden waste and use that for anything not compostable, hard woody stuff, tree prunings and cabbage stalk sort of things
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker
    We don't have food waste collections either nor can we put glass in our recycling bins. It's supposed to go to the nearest bottle bank - not always ideal as ours isn't on a route we'd go on for anything else so it means a special trip.

I often find that if I buy the bags of washed rocket or baby spinach leaves, they go slimy before I can use them all
    Originally posted by Hopeless Case
    That's why I don't buy them. We usually have little gem lettuces that last really well in the fridge and sometimes I can find packs that have one green and one red in them - nice for additional colour on the plate.

I must have been very efficient last week at using up all the fresh food stuff as, when I came to do my shopping list, it was nearly all for F&V and dairy. Now fully stocked up again and I also bagged a ys medium chicken for £2.44. I cooked it as soon as I got it home and have portioned it all up this morning. I reckon it will do 3 meals for the two of us plus sandwiches and - of course - the obligatory chicken stock! Good job we like chicken.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!
    Nov £61.50/£175 and 10/35 NSDs (Jan-Oct £200.01 under budget)

• Moguline
    • By Moguline 14th Jul 18, 8:06 PM
    • 325 Posts
    • 970 Thanks
    Moguline
    I got:
    - 1 punnet of strawberries
    - 3 punnets of blackberries
    - 3 six packs of apples
    - 2 avocados
    - 1 bag of new potatoes
    - 1 bunch spring onions
    - 2 bags rocket
    - 1 pack little gem lettuce
    - 1 bunch of parsley
    - 1 packet broccoli rice
    - 5 packets of green beans
    - 5 packets of mango chunks
    - 1 packet of fruit salad
    - 1 packet prepared leeks
    - 1 packet stir fry veg
    - 1 ready made bistro salad
    - 1 packet of carrot sticks
    - 5 trays of mediterranean roast veg
    - 2 packets of choy sum

I paid £2.49.
    Feel like I've robbed the place!
    LBM: Christmas 2017 Current debt, as of 01/11/2018: £22,079.76 Total reduction so far: -£4,854.54 DFD of my dreams: 31/12/2020
    • Moguline
    • By Moguline 14th Jul 18, 8:07 PM
    • 325 Posts
    • 970 Thanks
    Moguline
    Ah, it won't let me edit on the phone. Forgot to say this was all yellow sticker stuff in Asda tonight. Feel like I've won the lottery haha!
    LBM: Christmas 2017 Current debt, as of 01/11/2018: £22,079.76 Total reduction so far: -£4,854.54 DFD of my dreams: 31/12/2020
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 14th Jul 18, 8:13 PM
    • 1,206 Posts
    • 13,743 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    We weren’t very MSE last night as we had Chinese delivered but we ate only half - so Chinese again tonight. DH & DSis both had a main course & I had a starter for 2. However the plastic boxes come in useful for the freezer

Tomorrow I will do a small shop & we will have a salad - I have living lettuce to use with chicken & new potatoes. Need to pencil in a roast of some sort next week - otherwise my DSis will sulk

Nothing thrown away since I turned the fridge temperature to cold All my fruit - peaches, plums, cherries, pears & apples have been chopped & made into a fruit salad which DH & I have for breakfast with yoghurt. Yesterday, I made an apple & blackberry crumble which will be lovely with custard

MrsSD
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 15th Jul 18, 12:00 AM
    • 26,749 Posts
    • 56,948 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I'm enjoying the Aldi honeydew melons on offer atm. The weather's so glorious, I'd like to save the seeds next time and dry them out for my snack jar. Does anyone do this?

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 15th Jul 18, 12:08 AM
    • 26,749 Posts
    • 56,948 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Originally posted by maddiemay
    Much the same as this (which I've tried, and does work): http://showmethecurry.com/tips/stretching-the-shelf-life-of-a-strawberry-tip.html

But for individual baby spinach leaves? Life is just too short!

• Hopeless Case
    • By Hopeless Case 15th Jul 18, 9:19 AM
    • 888 Posts
    • 5,334 Thanks
    Hopeless Case
    Bargain! Well done.

We don't have food waste collections either nor can we put glass in our recycling bins. It's supposed to go to the nearest bottle bank - not always ideal as ours isn't on a route we'd go on for anything else so it means a special trip.

That's why I don't buy them. We usually have little gem lettuces that last really well in the fridge and sometimes I can find packs that have one green and one red in them - nice for additional colour on the plate.

I must have been very efficient last week at using up all the fresh food stuff as, when I came to do my shopping list, it was nearly all for F&V and dairy. Now fully stocked up again and I also bagged a ys medium chicken for £2.44. I cooked it as soon as I got it home and have portioned it all up this morning. I reckon it will do 3 meals for the two of us plus sandwiches and - of course - the obligatory chicken stock! Good job we like chicken.
    Originally posted by YorksLass
    I don't normally either, I usually either get little gem or romaine, but it depends what's available in the reduced aisle, and i guess buying them reduced isn't going to make it easier for me to keep them for ages!
    I got:
    - 1 punnet of strawberries
    - 3 punnets of blackberries
    - 3 six packs of apples
    - 2 avocados
    - 1 bag of new potatoes
    - 1 bunch spring onions
    - 2 bags rocket
    - 1 pack little gem lettuce
    - 1 bunch of parsley
    - 1 packet broccoli rice
    - 5 packets of green beans
    - 5 packets of mango chunks
    - 1 packet of fruit salad
    - 1 packet prepared leeks
    - 1 packet stir fry veg
    - 1 ready made bistro salad
    - 1 packet of carrot sticks
    - 5 trays of mediterranean roast veg
    - 2 packets of choy sum

I paid £2.49.
    Feel like I've robbed the place!
    Originally posted by Moguline
    Wow lucky you! Amazing
    Nov GC £80.34/£200
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 15th Jul 18, 9:37 AM
    • 16,410 Posts
    • 140,298 Thanks
    JackieO
    Moguline wow what a great bargain, well done what a haul.I too would have been dancing out of the shop. I always head for the Y/s stuff first before anything else but I have found that often its the unexpected bargains that are really nice Dobbies reduced some nice bits now and again and I always check on their counters when I have been to coffee morning.A few weeks ago I snaffled a just over two and a half kilo gammon for £8.00 with almost no fat at all on it I took it home and cut in half then wrapped and its in DDs chest freezer thats about just under 6 lb of ham which will come with us on holiday and will do not only several meals for us all but left overs will go into sandwiches. (might even let the two small dogs have a few of the scraps as a treat

I will be going for my second food shop of the month probably on Tuesday or Wednesday this week, still eating my way through my freezer.I am out tonight to dinner and tomorrow I have a large lasagne to eat with my DGS as I am staying there tomorrow night as their parents are off to my DGS graduation overnight in Norwich, and Tuesday night its quiz night so I really don't have to cook at home until Wednesday. Food bill will be quite low this month I think.
    Have a good day chums and try to keep cool

JackieO xx
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 15th Jul 18, 11:26 AM
    • 5,371 Posts
    • 79,057 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Morning all - i seem to have slipped with this thread (though not by wasting food, just not writing about it)

I am having half a pizza for lunch - we ate out on Friday and i could only manage half, so having the rest today with some salad. i am eating alone tonight so am having leftovers from last night for that. So only some tomatoes to buy today to go in the salad.

I have two tins of out of date condensed milk in the cupboard. Any suggestions?
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 15th Jul 18, 12:12 PM
    • 475 Posts
    • 2,294 Thanks
    Brambling
    I have two tins of out of date condensed milk in the cupboard. Any suggestions?
    Originally posted by VJsmum
    If you want a quick easy dessert there is a key lime pie recipe on the carnation website just google carnation key lime pie. It's just a biscuit base (I use ginger) then you whisk the condensed milk and 300ml of cream with juice and zest of 5 limes it thickens and sets really quickly. Works with lemons to although you may only need 4.
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 15th Jul 18, 12:53 PM
    • 5,371 Posts
    • 79,057 Thanks
    VJsmum
    If you want a quick easy dessert there is a key lime pie recipe on the carnation website just google carnation key lime pie. It's just a biscuit base (I use ginger) then you whisk the condensed milk and 300ml of cream with juice and zest of 5 limes it thickens and sets really quickly. Works with lemons to although you may only need 4.
    Originally posted by Brambling
    ooh thanks. the MiL is coming next week and she loves key lime pie, i'll give it a whirl.
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 15th Jul 18, 2:44 PM
    • 12,815 Posts
    • 177,087 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I've just been up the garden and picked the blackberries, they're ripening at just the right pace to give us a bowl each for pudding every day. I picked sungold tomatoes from the greenhouse too and came back in feeling baked again. Going to make a nice pot of tea in a minute and sit in the shade on the patio to enjoy it!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,442Posts Today

6,533Users online

Martin's Twitter