Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 13th Jan 18, 10:18 AM
    • 16,415Posts
    • 140,322Thanks
    JackieO
    Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)
    • 13th Jan 18, 10:18 AM
    Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :) 13th Jan 18 at 10:18 AM
    Hi chums I see for some reason unbeknown to us all that the previous thread was deleted .OK well lets no be despondant it was 11 months old and I certainly didn't expect it to run as long as it did,but this will no defeat us in our object to LFHW will it .So come on chums get those ideas rolling again for the new year ahead

JackieO xxx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018:Food Budget only Total end of October since Jan £307.43 15th November £19.80 first shop of the month
Page 39
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 8th Jul 18, 4:35 PM
    • 454 Posts
    • 7,531 Thanks
    YorksLass
    I have been buying a lot of the nectarines which have variously been on offer at supermarkets recently and have found a use for the red netting over the plastic container. If you cut off one end you end up with a little 'hat' with very stretchy properties. I have been putting them over seedlings which I am moving outside of the greenhouse and it keeps off both birds and butterflies. Even if you don't grow your own, you probably know someone who does....
    Originally posted by Living proof
    I use them to make bath scrubbies. And the orange ones (a bit rougher texture) make good dish scrubbers.

I left some butter out of the fridge. It's gone rancid. Is there any way of saving it?
    Originally posted by bouicca21
    Eeewww no just bin it.

Much as I love this hot weather, it's hard work thinking of what to make for meals that don't need a lot of cooking. We've had salads galore, stir-frys, pasta meals, sometimes just sandwiches, jacket spuds with toppings, omelettes, fresh fruit, jelly & fruit etc etc and it's made me realise a lot of the stuff in the freezer is geared to cold weather meals. No wonder it's taking a long time to empty!

Today we're having cottage pie, peas & pickled red cabbage. Meat base done yesterday in the sc, mash done this morning, now assembled and ready for mw tonight. DH did the market shop on Friday and came back with 1lb of fresh peas. We podded them this morning and yes, we did nibble on a few raw. Brought back childhood memories of sitting on the back doorstep with a huge paper bag of the things and a bowl that seemed to take an eternity to fill.

I've found a recipe for pea & lettuce soup so tomorrow I'll dispense with the pods that way and it will also take care of some lettuce that's gone a bit past its best. Not done it before but always willing to try something new!
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!
    Nov £61.50/£175 and 10/35 NSDs (Jan-Oct £200.01 under budget)

• JackieO
    • By JackieO 8th Jul 18, 4:36 PM
    • 16,415 Posts
    • 140,322 Thanks
    JackieO
    We all have those drat and blast moments Mrs SD don't abandon hope, keep with us as your input is a warning to others to check their temperatures in the fridge which during this heat wave is important.So easily forgotten or accidently turned down.

JackieO xx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018:Food Budget only Total end of October since Jan £307.43 15th November £19.80 first shop of the month
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 8th Jul 18, 6:38 PM
    • 1,207 Posts
    • 13,762 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Thanks JackieO - I originally debated with myself whether to post or not but decided if I put it in black & white I was more likely to remember to make checking fridge temperature an automatic process

MrsSD xx
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 9th Jul 18, 8:16 AM
    • 5,600 Posts
    • 41,454 Thanks
    joedenise
    Have bot some burgers left in the fridge which had previously been frozen so no choice but to eat them today. I'd originally got them out as there were supposed to be 6 for lunch but ended up only being 4, so at least they won't be wasted. Will have with some salad. DH will have his with buns to fill him up!

Denise
    • Hopeless Case
    • By Hopeless Case 9th Jul 18, 8:21 AM
    • 888 Posts
    • 5,334 Thanks
    Hopeless Case
    I have been buying a lot of the nectarines which have variously been on offer at supermarkets recently and have found a use for the red netting over the plastic container. If you cut off one end you end up with a little 'hat' with very stretchy properties. I have been putting them over seedlings which I am moving outside of the greenhouse and it keeps off both birds and butterflies. Even if you don't grow your own, you probably know someone who does....
    Originally posted by Living proof
    That's a good idea!

I left some butter out of the fridge. It's gone rancid. Is there any way of saving it?
    Originally posted by bouicca21
    I wouldn't risk it, apart from the horrible taste, I always think you have to be really careful with dairy, could make you really ill

Hi there everyone,

sorry to report that after two days back from holiday I discovered that the fridge temperature was on its lowest setting (must have put too much in & moved the temp setting ) so I have had to bin the following (after resetting the temperature to very cold)

Three four pint cartons of milk, four large lumps of cheese (I donít have a problem cutting off green/blue bits but never risk eating furry cheese ), a tub of furry Philadelphia, a pot of potato salad & a packet of furry ham.
    Oh the waste of both food & money & I havenít checked all the glass jars or the butter yet I must do that today & also give the fridge itís 2nd thorough clean in a month! I will chalk it up to a costly experience which has made me paranoid about checking the temperature every time I open the fridge door
    However, one good thing - the garage is slightly emptier so although the motorbike still wonít fit (Dsisís Furniture from France) the old fridge/freezer was restarted yesterday so I will have plenty of space to reorganise both the fridge & freezer. I can then menu plan properly & also start batch cooking when the hot weather becomes a distant memory

So from a very sorry & chastened LFHWr, I will wish you good bye

MrsSD
    Originally posted by Mrs Salad Dodger
    Oh no poor you, what a sickener! But it's what you do most of the time which counts, so onwards and upwards
    Nov GC £80.34/£200
    NSD target: Nov 1/15
    Bring Your Lunch to Work Target Nov 1/15
    £1 a day: Nov £44.75/£45
    Tesco CC Aug 18 £10,151.56 £9950.56 0% 30mnths, First Direct CC Aug 18 £4321.80 £3968.77 0% til Feb 20
    • Hopeless Case
    • By Hopeless Case 9th Jul 18, 8:25 AM
    • 888 Posts
    • 5,334 Thanks
    Hopeless Case
    One thing which has been a revelation is how long you can make spring onions last if you keep them and use all of them - I tend to only use them in salads, and just chop in a small amount, and I'd have cut the white bit and thrown the rest away before, but one spring onion lasts me for days now

I'm fighting the heat with the fruit, wish I had room in the fridge! I'm down to just a few oranges now but I'm going to eat them before buying anything else as I'm sick of eating over ripe fruit
    Buying YS and 30 degree heat is not a good recipe for making purchases last all week....
    Nov GC £80.34/£200
    Tesco CC Aug 18 £10,151.56 £9950.56 0% 30mnths, First Direct CC Aug 18 £4321.80 £3968.77 0% til Feb 20
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 9th Jul 18, 1:47 PM
    • 12,815 Posts
    • 177,100 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    We've just had lunch using up the last of a few packs of things from the fridge, a pack of hummus chips from store and blackberries, loganberries and redcurrants from the garden with some Greek yoghurt, it might have been a scratch meal but it was absolutely delicious!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    • By Mummy2cheekymonkeys 9th Jul 18, 3:59 PM
    • 181 Posts
    • 1,285 Thanks
    Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    Does anyone know if you can freeze goose fat? I buy a 1kg tub from my work (cash and carry) as it works out so much cheaper but funny enough at this time of year I don't tend to have many roast dinners!! Don't want to waste it.
    • pamsdish
    • By pamsdish 9th Jul 18, 4:04 PM
    • 1,051 Posts
    • 6,434 Thanks
    pamsdish
    I had some in my fridge for months didnt go off.
    JAN£200=£107FEB£200=£40MARCH£175=£50
    APRIL£200=£35 May£200=£61 JUNE£200=£6
    JULY £200=£11 AUG£180=£57SEPT£180=£57Lost OCT, under budget
    NOV£150-£13=£137-£34=£103,-£48= £55-£30=£25
    • Hopeless Case
    • By Hopeless Case 9th Jul 18, 4:42 PM
    • 888 Posts
    • 5,334 Thanks
    Hopeless Case
    Does anyone know if you can freeze goose fat? I buy a 1kg tub from my work (cash and carry) as it works out so much cheaper but funny enough at this time of year I don't tend to have many roast dinners!! Don't want to waste it.
    Originally posted by Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    I don't actually know but I would have thought so
    Nov GC £80.34/£200
    • Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    • By Mummy2cheekymonkeys 9th Jul 18, 5:50 PM
    • 181 Posts
    • 1,285 Thanks
    Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    I had some in my fridge for months didnt go off.
    Originally posted by pamsdish
    Definitely! But I've already had it for quite a few months and didn't want to push my luck lol
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 9th Jul 18, 5:59 PM
    • 454 Posts
    • 7,531 Thanks
    YorksLass
    [QUOTE=YorksLass;74503703I've found a recipe for pea & lettuce soup so tomorrow I'll dispense with the (pea) pods that way and it will also take care of some lettuce that's gone a bit past its best. Not done it before but always willing to try something new! [/QUOTE]

Soup duly made this morning. The verdict? Very nice and could be served hot or chilled, ideal for this hot weather. I was expecting it to be a bit fibrous and that I'd have to pass it through a sieve but my trusty Moulinex liquidiser seemed to deal with it OK.

One thing which has been a revelation is how long you can make spring onions last if you keep them and use all of them - I tend to only use them in salads, and just chop in a small amount, and I'd have cut the white bit and thrown the rest away before, but one spring onion lasts me for days now
    Originally posted by Hopeless Case
    Have you tried standing the bunch in a glass of water in the fridge? I keep mine this way and also do this with sticks of celery and broccoli. For the spring onions, I use up the green bits first - in salads / cheese sandwiches / egg mayonnaise - and use the white bulb part in stir fries.

Nice easy dinner tonight - scampi, potato croquettes and side salad with ice cream & wafers for afters.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!
    Nov £61.50/£175 and 10/35 NSDs (Jan-Oct £200.01 under budget)

• Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    • By Mummy2cheekymonkeys 9th Jul 18, 6:03 PM
    • 181 Posts
    • 1,285 Thanks
    Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    I don't actually know but I would have thought so
    That's what I thought too.
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 9th Jul 18, 8:32 PM
    • 1,207 Posts
    • 13,762 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Happy to report that nothing else has had to be binned

The lemon I sliced & froze before our holiday has come in useful as DH has taken to having a g&t in the evening & what is a g&t without lemon

Tonight there is a choice of hm cottage pie (2 portions) or hm bolognese (1 portion)

Last night was herby breadcrumbed cod, boiled new potatoes & petit pois.

Now I just have to start menu planning & if the weather is cooling down a little (hopefully only to the mid 20ís) I can start batch cooking again

MrsSD
    • Moguline
    • By Moguline 9th Jul 18, 8:59 PM
    • 325 Posts
    • 970 Thanks
    Moguline
    MrsL - your mention Bohnenkraut transported me right back to my childhood in East Germany.
    We've finally harvested our first courgette today. I'm thrilled, I've never grown anything successfully before!
    We've got lots more coming through, and tomato plants are starting to produce as well, so looking forward to that. Have beetroot and carrots on their way as well, but the purple sprouting broccoli has been completely obliterated by caterpillars - we've decided to just leave them to it and enjoy the butterflies haha. It's only a few pots in our little concrete yard, but hoping to squeeze a proper raised bed in the next year.
    LBM: Christmas 2017 Current debt, as of 01/11/2018: £22,079.76 Total reduction so far: -£4,854.54 DFD of my dreams: 31/12/2020
    • yellowbear
    • By yellowbear 9th Jul 18, 9:34 PM
    • 396 Posts
    • 2,778 Thanks
    yellowbear
    I'm fighting the heat with the fruit, wish I had room in the fridge! I'm down to just a few oranges now but I'm going to eat them before buying anything else as I'm sick of eating over ripe fruit
    Buying YS and 30 degree heat is not a good recipe for making purchases last all week....

<pops in>

Cool bag?

<pops out again>
    • Hopeless Case
    • By Hopeless Case 10th Jul 18, 7:46 AM
    • 888 Posts
    • 5,334 Thanks
    Hopeless Case
    Soup duly made this morning. The verdict? Very nice and could be served hot or chilled, ideal for this hot weather. I was expecting it to be a bit fibrous and that I'd have to pass it through a sieve but my trusty Moulinex liquidiser seemed to deal with it OK.

Have you tried standing the bunch in a glass of water in the fridge? I keep mine this way and also do this with sticks of celery and broccoli. For the spring onions, I use up the green bits first - in salads / cheese sandwiches / egg mayonnaise - and use the white bulb part in stir fries.

Nice easy dinner tonight - scampi, potato croquettes and side salad with ice cream & wafers for afters.
    Originally posted by YorksLass
    I hadn't thought of the the glass of water, but that's a good idea, and using the green first is such a good idea, it's the part which tends to go brown first plus the the part which looks less usable, so saving the best for last!

<pops in>

Cool bag?

<pops out again>
    Originally posted by yellowbear
    That's a good idea, I'd have to keep it in the garage though as our cool bag is huge
    Nov GC £80.34/£200
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 10th Jul 18, 8:57 AM
    • 5,600 Posts
    • 41,454 Thanks
    joedenise
    Probably cooler in the garage anyway so just in paper bags might be enough!
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 10th Jul 18, 9:17 AM
    • 16,415 Posts
    • 140,322 Thanks
    JackieO
    Good morning chums I would think the standing it in a gass of water should work quite well Spring onions are perhaps the only veg I ever eat, yet I enjoy ordinary or red onions immensely.
    My late OH loved them though and for years they stayed at the same price of around 15p a bunch Bit dearer now though they just give me the most awful indigestion.

Today being Tuesday it quiz night at the pub so no cooking tonight for me, I rather fancy one of those stuffed peppers for lunch with salad though.

I found last week I first sliced the top off the pepper and scooped out the seeds,then cooked a few mushroom diced up stalks which I put into the bottom of the pepper then some grated cheese with a dash of sweet chilli sauce and topped the lot with some dried stuffing mix then popped the top of the pepper back on and cooked in in my remoska it was delicious I made the salad up with shredded lettuce chopped beetroot ,diced cucumber and a sliced tomato with a bit of grated parmesan sprinkled over the wool lot if was gorgeous and extremely filling

If I have it around 12.30 after my coffee morning this morning it will keep me going until about 8 tonight when I get fed at quiz night so much nicer than just slicing and dicing a pepper and turns it into a meal.thats pretty colourful as well

I have a couple of large, not really soft enough conferance pears in the fridge, which I will use up today.
    I think I will peel and slice and poach in a little water and honey with some cinnamon and once cooked will leave in the fridge once cold and they will do two days for pudding I have some mango sorbet in the freezer which will be nice as an accompaniment instead of cream and a bit lower in calories as well
    I only paid 30p for these pears as they were Y/s on Saturday, they were like bullets and rock hard I think they had been picked a bit too early .

Right, time to get some more tea down me before i go to U3A coffee morning where I will probably drink even more tea

Have a good day chums

JackieO xx
    • Hopeless Case
    • By Hopeless Case 10th Jul 18, 12:02 PM
    • 888 Posts
    • 5,334 Thanks
    Hopeless Case
    Probably cooler in the garage anyway so just in paper bags might be enough!
    Originally posted by joedenise
    Sadly not really, it's a modern house so the walls aren't thick and it's got a south-facing metal door, plus being integral to the house, so it's disappointingly stuffy in there
    Nov GC £80.34/£200
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,706Posts Today

6,682Users online

Martin's Twitter