Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 13th Jan 18, 10:18 AM
    • 16,264Posts
    • 138,809Thanks
    JackieO
    Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)
    • 13th Jan 18, 10:18 AM
    Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :) 13th Jan 18 at 10:18 AM
    Hi chums I see for some reason unbeknown to us all that the previous thread was deleted .OK well lets no be despondant it was 11 months old and I certainly didn't expect it to run as long as it did,but this will no defeat us in our object to LFHW will it .So come on chums get those ideas rolling again for the new year ahead

JackieO xxx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018
    Half year totals = 166.19. July added equals 204 .29,Todays August food shop added equals 227.75
    1st Sept 34.66:15th Sept 34.44 totals 262.19
Page 38
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 2nd Jul 18, 7:40 AM
    • 12,599 Posts
    • 174,673 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Instead of using imported lettuce (OH are they really going to fly the poor things in from the states?) I shall be making us a lovely sliced home grown courgette salad in a lemon vinaigrette dressing to go with our stir fry supper this evening and as I picked the first few raspberries from the allotment last evening and have loganberries from the garden in the fridge I shall also make a summer pudding with them as He Who Knows loves it and I have bread that needs using up.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • pamsdish
    • By pamsdish 2nd Jul 18, 7:47 AM
    • 997 Posts
    • 6,013 Thanks
    pamsdish
    I have 2 courgettes to use will spiralize them and try the lemon vinaigrette instead of cucumbers, my home grown cues should be on line soon.
    JAN200=107FEB200=40MARCH175=50
    APRIL200=35 May200=61 JUNE200=6
    JULY [COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=Black]200=11 AUGUST[SIZE=3]180=[B][COLOR=DarkGreen]57[COLOR=Black] 180-60=120,-8=112,-5=107,-21=86,-37=49,-32=17,-33=-16
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 2nd Jul 18, 8:21 AM
    • 5,330 Posts
    • 78,478 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Morning all - back from my holidays. Pleased to say that, after a week of self-catering on our boat, we threw very little away at the end of it. I think there were a couple of manky bits of fruit and half a bag of crisps.

You may recall that I had some salad bits in my fridge that i thought would go off while i was away (i'm afraid i was never going to make lettuce soup... ) but am pleased to say that only a few outer lettuce leaves were composted, the rest i used up on Saturday in my salad and a couple of wrinkly tomatoes were skinned and used in a dish i made on saturday and the remainder were ok and eaten with salad over the weekend. I call that a bit of a result.

Back on the LFHW waggon now and tea tonight is leftovers from the pulled jackfruit dish i made on saturday (recipient of the tomatoes), DS can have a freezer something (probably bolognaise) and DD will have a veggie ready meal as she is late home from work. I bought a bbq sauce to use in the jackfruit and some leftovers of that was used to marinade chicken for our bbq yesterday.

What our holiday also demonstrated is how much less fussy DS has become with food since he went to uni. We went to one restaurant where they were serving a salad made with local foods and he ate it all Not that long ago, anything that came with lettuce and not chips would have been dismissed out of hand.
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 2nd Jul 18, 2:16 PM
    • 16,264 Posts
    • 138,809 Thanks
    JackieO
    Hi Chums I cam home from my sis-in-laws with a large bag of already frozen rhubarb and half a dozen laid on Thursday eggs courtesy from her friends chooks. I gave in exchange which I took with me a large fruit cake and half a dozen cherry scones. We had a lovely evening out on Saturday at her local for a meal and really had a very pleasant night as we walked in to Faversham in the sunshine via the creek and came back via the high street.

2nd day of July and nothing bought so far only 7 weeks until we go on holiday so I am determined to make inroads into my freezer stuff.

Try and keep cool and hydrated chums as its rather warm this afternoon

JackieO xx
    Half year totals = 166.19. July added equals 204 .29,Todays August food shop added equals 227.75
    • Hopeless Case
    • By Hopeless Case 2nd Jul 18, 7:58 PM
    • 752 Posts
    • 4,351 Thanks
    Hopeless Case
    I bought several packs of 2 little gem lettuces reduced to 15p per pack a few weeks ago, and thought I'd been too ambitious and time was running out on me, but I finished the last bit of the last one tonight with only a bit of the outer leaves going for composting - looking out for more lettuce bargains now
    Sept GC 62.58/240
    NSD target: Aug 21/20, Sept 8/14
    Sept Bring Your Lunch to Work Target
    6/13
    1 a day: Aug 60.88/31
    Sept 29.63/30
    Tesco CC 10,151.56 0% 30mnths, First Direct CC 4321.80 4111.7 0% til Feb 20
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 3rd Jul 18, 6:24 AM
    • 16,264 Posts
    • 138,809 Thanks
    JackieO
    Little gem are brilliant and I wrap in tin foil and keep in the veg drawer if I see them reduced ,great for going on top of crackers and soft cheese with sliced tomato and cucumber
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 3rd Jul 18, 10:10 AM
    • 12,599 Posts
    • 174,673 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    The last of this years gooseberries which have languished in the fridge for a few days are in the slow cooker for compote, that's because we finished the blackberry compote (oh there was lots) for breakfast this morning. I'm using the last of a pack of cooking bacon for lunch too in the form of big stuffed mushrooms and eating them at lunchtime as in this heat we aren't hungry for supper and like last night sometimes I end up with just toast as I've gone past food. Managed to give away a good picking of this years redcurrants last night, I don't need them as I've got lots of jelly already and also managed to give away lots of jam/jelly/chutney to a friend so I shan't have to move it when we do or throw it away, good!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • Hopeless Case
    • By Hopeless Case 4th Jul 18, 7:40 AM
    • 752 Posts
    • 4,351 Thanks
    Hopeless Case
    My pack of YS pears which were rock hard are all ripening at once - time to get eating! The YS is brilliant but keeps you on your toes!!
    Sept GC 62.58/240
    6/13
    Sept 29.63/30
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 4th Jul 18, 3:46 PM
    • 12,599 Posts
    • 174,673 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    All three varieties of beans growing in the garden are now giving us beans, runners, climbing French and dwarf fine called Ferrari. The runners and French climbers I steamed and made into a salad with lemon mayo and I used some of the courgette glut to make a warm salad with a middle eastern spice mix called Baharat, just fried sliced courgettes in a little butter and sprinkled liberally with the spice mix while they were cooking, delicious! served with half each of a lovely big jacket potato from the 9 I cooked all at once yesterday (they reheat really well) topped with slices of cheese which melted. Really nice lunch.

The fine beans will be the first of the season and we shall have them with butter and black pepper tomorrow as a starter, oh yummy!
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 4th Jul 18, 5:07 PM
    • 16,264 Posts
    • 138,809 Thanks
    JackieO
    At quiz night last night in the pub we had a jacket spud with baked beans and cheese and the landlord buys them all at Bookers already frozen and cooks them when his partner has got the numbers at 8.00 p.m. when the quiz starts I must admit they are rather nice even though cooked from frozen.
    Tonight I have a piece of salmon from the freezer with some new jersey spuds and broccoli, with diced up fruit for pudding When its hot I seem to have less of an appetite. Trying to use stuff up if I can thats already in store
    JackieO x
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 4th Jul 18, 5:21 PM
    • 5,362 Posts
    • 39,979 Thanks
    joedenise
    Don't you cook jackets yourself in bulk and freeze? I'm sure I've seen that on here.

Denise
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 4th Jul 18, 5:26 PM
    • 427 Posts
    • 7,198 Thanks
    YorksLass
    For dinner tonight we're having risotto using what I have in stock, so a really low cost meal and lots of "bits" used up.

From the freezer: 2 small chicken thighs, hm chicken stock, a finely chopped red chilli and a small amount of diced orange pepper.
    From the fridge: last rasher of bacon, half a small chopped onion, 1/4 chopped yellow pepper, 2 wrinkly mushrooms, broccoli stalk.
    From the cupboard: arborio rice.

I prepped everything this morning before the sun moved around to the kitchen and it will have gone to the other side of the house by the time I come to cook so, although I'll have to stand and stir for a while, it won't be too hot.

I know there's going to be more than we'll eat tonight (I wanted to finish off the box of rice) but that's OK as I have something in mind for whatever's left. If there's a decent amount I'll be making arancini that can go in a tomato based sauce for a meal. If it's only a small amount I'll use it as a filling for stuffed peppers as a "side". Either way, it's a win-win.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!
    Sep 132.05/140 and 15/28 NSDs (Jan-Aug 211.81 under budget)

• VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 4th Jul 18, 6:21 PM
    • 5,330 Posts
    • 78,478 Thanks
    VJsmum
    it is 29 degrees outside

I am dining alone

I foraged in the freezer for something to have

i am having Christmas dinner
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    • By Mummy2cheekymonkeys 4th Jul 18, 7:14 PM
    • 170 Posts
    • 1,174 Thanks
    Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    Our courgette plants are starting to produce so need to keep on top of using them before we are overrun. So tonight I've done courgette fritters which also used up 3 YS eggs (only another 27 to go!!) Served with some sweet chilli sauce. Absolutely delicious and cost about 10p. Pudding is homemade Victoria sponge that I made but instead of jam I made a blackcurrant filling from the blackcurrants in the garden. Tried to make it taste like a m&s blackcurrant sundae which are my fave.
    • Hopeless Case
    • By Hopeless Case 5th Jul 18, 7:33 AM
    • 752 Posts
    • 4,351 Thanks
    Hopeless Case
    it is 29 degrees outside

I am dining alone

I foraged in the freezer for something to have

i am having Christmas dinner
    Originally posted by VJsmum
    Perfect!

I was watching an old TOTP from 1985 the other week, and for some reason they decided to show one from December of that year, so I found myself listening to Merry Christmas Everyone and Last Christmas in 30 degree heat - I didn't think of having the dinner too
    Sept GC 62.58/240
    6/13
    Sept 29.63/30
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 5th Jul 18, 8:57 AM
    • 3,909 Posts
    • 6,132 Thanks
    bouicca21
    I'm sort of having Xmas dinner too - found some frozen lo turkey in the freezer. time for turkey curry - but I think I'm going to be lazy and use Lidl korma sauce, 89p so twice as much as my normal turkey curry recipe (onion, garlic, spices and Lidl passata) but, hey, let's push the boat out.
    • Smurphington
    • By Smurphington 5th Jul 18, 9:26 AM
    • 67 Posts
    • 241 Thanks
    Smurphington
    I have used up some milk that was on the turn by making some pancakes for the small person, rest of the batter I have stuck in the fridge so they can have the same tomorrow. I used up the end of a box of muesli for my brekkie

Tonight's tea will probably be a vegetable crumble as I have everything for it. I may need to buy some milk and fruit but I think that's about it

White cabbage - how long will the half I have last if I wrap it in foil and stick it in the fridge?
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 5th Jul 18, 2:24 PM
    • 12,599 Posts
    • 174,673 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Risotto for supper this evening and all the veg, courgettes, green beans and peas are home grown and everything else I had in stock too including the lemon to freshen it all up. The bean mountain is growing so I'll have to be inventive.....
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 5th Jul 18, 2:52 PM
    • 5,362 Posts
    • 39,979 Thanks
    joedenise
    I have used up some milk that was on the turn by making some pancakes for the small person, rest of the batter I have stuck in the fridge so they can have the same tomorrow. I used up the end of a box of muesli for my brekkie

Tonight's tea will probably be a vegetable crumble as I have everything for it. I may need to buy some milk and fruit but I think that's about it

White cabbage - how long will the half I have last if I wrap it in foil and stick it in the fridge?
    Originally posted by Smurphington
    I don't even wrap in foil once I used some just put the rest back into the veg tray in the fridge. It's still fine by the end of the week. So I would think wrapping in foil would at least double that time. JackieO is the expert on wrapping veg in foil.

Denise
    • Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    • By Mummy2cheekymonkeys 5th Jul 18, 3:35 PM
    • 170 Posts
    • 1,174 Thanks
    Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    Tonight's dinner will be omelette to try and use some more of the YS eggs plus I will throw in some of the small courgettes from the garden. Then for pudding I'm going to make a plum and almond tart I saw on the good food website as we are getting a huge glut of plums from the tree in the garden. It will also make good use of the YS ready rolled pastry sheet I had in the freezer. Might try it with a dollop of Greek yoghurt sweetened with honey x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,882Posts Today

7,476Users online

Martin's Twitter