Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 13th Jan 18, 10:18 AM
    • 16,406Posts
    • 140,238Thanks
    JackieO
    Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)
    • 13th Jan 18, 10:18 AM
    Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :) 13th Jan 18 at 10:18 AM
    Hi chums I see for some reason unbeknown to us all that the previous thread was deleted .OK well lets no be despondant it was 11 months old and I certainly didn't expect it to run as long as it did,but this will no defeat us in our object to LFHW will it .So come on chums get those ideas rolling again for the new year ahead

JackieO xxx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018:Food Budget only( 1st Oct £30.96,15 Oct £14.28 total for month £45.24,) Total end of October since Jan £307.43
Page 38
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 5th Jul 18, 8:57 AM
    • 4,027 Posts
    • 6,421 Thanks
    bouicca21
    I'm sort of having Xmas dinner too - found some frozen lo turkey in the freezer. time for turkey curry - but I think I'm going to be lazy and use Lidl korma sauce, 89p so twice as much as my normal turkey curry recipe (onion, garlic, spices and Lidl passata) but, hey, let's push the boat out.
    • Smurphington
    • By Smurphington 5th Jul 18, 9:26 AM
    • 79 Posts
    • 317 Thanks
    Smurphington
    I have used up some milk that was on the turn by making some pancakes for the small person, rest of the batter I have stuck in the fridge so they can have the same tomorrow. I used up the end of a box of muesli for my brekkie

Tonight's tea will probably be a vegetable crumble as I have everything for it. I may need to buy some milk and fruit but I think that's about it

White cabbage - how long will the half I have last if I wrap it in foil and stick it in the fridge?
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 5th Jul 18, 2:24 PM
    • 12,802 Posts
    • 176,987 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Risotto for supper this evening and all the veg, courgettes, green beans and peas are home grown and everything else I had in stock too including the lemon to freshen it all up. The bean mountain is growing so I'll have to be inventive.....
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 5th Jul 18, 2:52 PM
    • 5,593 Posts
    • 41,402 Thanks
    joedenise
    I have used up some milk that was on the turn by making some pancakes for the small person, rest of the batter I have stuck in the fridge so they can have the same tomorrow. I used up the end of a box of muesli for my brekkie

Tonight's tea will probably be a vegetable crumble as I have everything for it. I may need to buy some milk and fruit but I think that's about it

White cabbage - how long will the half I have last if I wrap it in foil and stick it in the fridge?
    Originally posted by Smurphington
    I don't even wrap in foil once I used some just put the rest back into the veg tray in the fridge. It's still fine by the end of the week. So I would think wrapping in foil would at least double that time. JackieO is the expert on wrapping veg in foil.

Denise
    • Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    • By Mummy2cheekymonkeys 5th Jul 18, 3:35 PM
    • 181 Posts
    • 1,285 Thanks
    Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    Tonight's dinner will be omelette to try and use some more of the YS eggs plus I will throw in some of the small courgettes from the garden. Then for pudding I'm going to make a plum and almond tart I saw on the good food website as we are getting a huge glut of plums from the tree in the garden. It will also make good use of the YS ready rolled pastry sheet I had in the freezer. Might try it with a dollop of Greek yoghurt sweetened with honey x
    • marns
    • By marns 7th Jul 18, 7:36 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 154 Thanks
    marns
    Leftover cake advice
    Well I've tried to be good, but the hot weather led me to turning the fridge up but I went too far and luettice and cucumbers froze so they're now destined for soup.
    I was lucky enough get a reduced cooked chicken and ham hock from the hot to go counter (£1.50 and £1.99....the chicken thing is getting embarrassing, I walked by a few nights ago and the counter assistant said 'they're not £1.99 this early' lol) So 1 chicken dinner and 2 pies, one for the weekend and 1 for freezer.

This weeks wasteful problem is I have a large dinner plate pilled up with sponge cake. I made a fancy iced cake for my boss for a celebration. I had one 9" cake go wrong (perfectly edible, just too wonky) and the trimmings from 4 layers of sponge left from leveling the cakes ready to ice.

So I'll be making a boozy trifle and I had thought cake pops as I have some buttercream left over too. I personally don't have a sweet tooth and I'm not keen on them but I thought I could sell them to raise money for the charity I work for......Does anyone have any other ideas for left over cake???
    • ScarletRibbons
    • By ScarletRibbons 7th Jul 18, 7:53 AM
    • 393 Posts
    • 5,158 Thanks
    ScarletRibbons
    You could freeze it, well wrapped so it doesn't dry out, then do something with it if you've got visitors coming.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 7th Jul 18, 8:46 AM
    • 12,802 Posts
    • 176,987 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Sadness is having to throw away a pack of bacon that had got pushed to the back of the fridge shelf and the fridge is a bit ropey so I don't keep the door open for any longer than I have to in this heat, I can see the thermometer start rising as I open the door and it goes from 0 to 4 in a very quick time! Redeeming factor for the day is coleslaw made from one of the polytunnel cabbages, previously cooked and reheated jacket potatoes and cold meat are done and ready for lunch. I have also found an ancient pack of home grown raspberries in the freezer that have this morning been made with some fresh loganberries and blackberries from the garden into another big batch of compote to have with fat free yoghurt for breakfasts and lunches for a few days. Not a penny expended!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • Living proof
    • By Living proof 7th Jul 18, 12:24 PM
    • 1,418 Posts
    • 9,207 Thanks
    Living proof
    I have been buying a lot of the nectarines which have variously been on offer at supermarkets recently and have found a use for the red netting over the plastic container. If you cut off one end you end up with a little 'hat' with very stretchy properties. I have been putting them over seedlings which I am moving outside of the greenhouse and it keeps off both birds and butterflies. Even if you don't grow your own, you probably know someone who does....
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    Mortgage and Debt Free. Unfortunately Pension Free too!
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 7th Jul 18, 2:20 PM
    • 5,593 Posts
    • 41,402 Thanks
    joedenise
    I have been buying a lot of the nectarines which have variously been on offer at supermarkets recently and have found a use for the red netting over the plastic container. If you cut off one end you end up with a little 'hat' with very stretchy properties. I have been putting them over seedlings which I am moving outside of the greenhouse and it keeps off both birds and butterflies. Even if you don't grow your own, you probably know someone who does....
    Originally posted by Living proof
    I'd have thought the holes were too big to keep butterflies off, we used to grow cabbages and had quite small netting and the butterflies still managed to get in! We went away on holiday one year and came back to find caterpillars had eaten most of the cabbages, particularly the red ones! There were so many we couldn't actually salvage very much at all so that was the last time we grew them.

Because we've getting away in our motorhome more often now as DH has retired we don't grow anything now.

Denise
    • Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    • By Mummy2cheekymonkeys 7th Jul 18, 2:51 PM
    • 181 Posts
    • 1,285 Thanks
    Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    Does anyone have any other ideas for left over cake???
    Originally posted by marns
    What is leftover cake???
    • purplevamp
    • By purplevamp 7th Jul 18, 3:07 PM
    • 8,131 Posts
    • 387,012 Thanks
    purplevamp
    So I'll be making a boozy trifle and I had thought cake pops as I have some buttercream left over too. I personally don't have a sweet tooth and I'm not keen on them but I thought I could sell them to raise money for the charity I work for......Does anyone have any other ideas for left over cake???
    Originally posted by marns
    Cake pops sound good. You could always freeze them without a coating on and use them as and when you need them.

What is leftover cake???
    Originally posted by Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    My thoughts exactly!!
    Mortgage: Was: £154,495 Oct 2039
    Now: £126,092.67 Jan 2038
    MFW #84 £445.00/£2,500

Swagbucks ~ £280 (2017 ~ £335)
    Surveys ~ £268.85 (2017 ~ £292.30)
    PTC, etc ~ $260.20 (2017 ~ $342.32)

ďI Love You" "I Know"
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 7th Jul 18, 7:18 PM
    • 4,027 Posts
    • 6,421 Thanks
    bouicca21
    I left some butter out of the fridge. It's gone rancid. Is there any way of saving it?
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 7th Jul 18, 8:48 PM
    • 16,406 Posts
    • 140,238 Thanks
    JackieO
    Re the cabbage I wrap cabbage white, sweetheart or ordinary in tinfoil and put it in the salad drawer at the bottom of my fridge and it will keep very well for a good couple of weeks. At the moment I have a head of broccoli wrapped in foil in there and half of a sweetheart cabbage I also wrap celery in tinfoil and it keeps it fresh and unbendy for as long as its needed.

Re the rancid butter personally I would bin it as I can't think of anything I would want to make with rancid butter ,the smell alone would make me queasy

Had a good haul of Y/S fruit and veg this afternoon at the SM, place was almost empty because of the football First food shop of this month and only spent £13.48 and my fridge is full up

JackieO xx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018:Food Budget only( 1st Oct £30.96,15 Oct £14.28 total for month £45.24,) Total end of October since Jan £307.43
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 8th Jul 18, 6:39 AM
    • 12,802 Posts
    • 176,987 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Freezer diving (OH yes please in this heat) for main meal foods today, I know I've some nice veggie things in there and it will probably be spicy bean burgers with the last of the jacket potatoes and a salad that is cabbage based and involves courgettes because that's what I have available in the garden. Blackberries are ripening beautifully in this weather and we had a bowl full each with fat free yoghurt for pudding after lunch and they were delicious so I'm hoping for a repeat today.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 8th Jul 18, 8:42 AM
    • 16,406 Posts
    • 140,238 Thanks
    JackieO
    Yum there is nothing nicer than foraging for blackberries and swishing round a bowl of vanilla ice cream Mrs LW, its one of life's pleasures on a hot sunny day in the UK.

My DGS usually help out picking them for me as we always look for the ones higher up the bushes (dogs you know )

Right time for some coffee methinks

Cheers chums have a great day

JackieO xx
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 8th Jul 18, 9:39 AM
    • 12,802 Posts
    • 176,987 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    We've got two whopping bushes of thornless blackberries that span the back garden fence and the berries are huge, grape sized things and lovely and sweet when they're fully ripe.

Slight change to lunch as I've made a dish from HFWs Three Good Things book which is the courgette, pasta and mozzarella bake to use up the courgettes (well, some of them) and cooked the runner beans German style with some Bohnenkraut (winter savoury to us) and dressed with a simple French dressing they will make a nice salad to accompany it. Picked the blackberries, the last of the loganberries and some ripe redcurrants too this morning and also the first Sungold tomatoes from the greenhouse!
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 8th Jul 18, 12:08 PM
    • 1,196 Posts
    • 13,661 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Hi there everyone,

sorry to report that after two days back from holiday I discovered that the fridge temperature was on its lowest setting (must have put too much in & moved the temp setting ) so I have had to bin the following (after resetting the temperature to very cold)

Three four pint cartons of milk, four large lumps of cheese (I donít have a problem cutting off green/blue bits but never risk eating furry cheese ), a tub of furry Philadelphia, a pot of potato salad & a packet of furry ham.
    Oh the waste of both food & money & I havenít checked all the glass jars or the butter yet I must do that today & also give the fridge itís 2nd thorough clean in a month! I will chalk it up to a costly experience which has made me paranoid about checking the temperature every time I open the fridge door
    However, one good thing - the garage is slightly emptier so although the motorbike still wonít fit (Dsisís Furniture from France) the old fridge/freezer was restarted yesterday so I will have plenty of space to reorganise both the fridge & freezer. I can then menu plan properly & also start batch cooking when the hot weather becomes a distant memory

So from a very sorry & chastened LFHWr, I will wish you good bye

MrsSD
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 8th Jul 18, 12:17 PM
    • 12,802 Posts
    • 176,987 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Oh RATS! could have happened to any one of us though love xxx.
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 8th Jul 18, 4:27 PM
    • 1,196 Posts
    • 13,661 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Thanks MrsL
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

476Posts Today

5,413Users online

Martin's Twitter