Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 13th Jan 18, 10:18 AM
    • 15,885Posts
    • 134,642Thanks
    JackieO
    Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)
    • 13th Jan 18, 10:18 AM
    Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :) 13th Jan 18 at 10:18 AM
    Hi chums I see for some reason unbeknown to us all that the previous thread was deleted .OK well lets no be despondant it was 11 months old and I certainly didn't expect it to run as long as it did,but this will no defeat us in our object to LFHW will it .So come on chums get those ideas rolling again for the new year ahead

JackieO xxx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018
    Running total for four months food only shopping =£126.24.Freezer stuff slowly going down at last May totals £31.11 freezer and tinned cupboards are going down nicely
Page 29
    • t14cy t
    • By t14cy t 13th May 18, 2:48 PM
    • 694 Posts
    • 6,594 Thanks
    t14cy t
    bought 8 grapefruit last night in morrisons for 6p the bag!! made a mountain of grapefruit curd for pennies!! luckily our chickens are laying well too as got through 12 eggs!! i will be popular when i distribute the jars when visiting.....!! xx
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 13th May 18, 4:06 PM
    • 5,139 Posts
    • 75,610 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Ooh grapefruit curd sounds nice

I have made stock with a chicken carcass and turned some of that into soup with some carrots that I'd frozen as they were starting to turn, and some frozen butternut squash from a bag

I have picked rhubarb and cooked it up. I am on a bit of a restrictive diet for another week or so, so I'll freeze it for a crumble later. I did have some of it with coconut yogurt

I also fished out a tin of Spuds that is two years out of date and made Jack monroes veggie tagine. I am not mad on tinned spuds, but I've made this before and, if you freeze before eating, once defrosted you can't tell they were tinned.

I also made guacamole out of a very ripe avocado.

Feels good to be back on the LFHW waggon
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    • By Mummy2cheekymonkeys 13th May 18, 6:37 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    I'm trying to use up all the odds and ends from my freezer so today I made a pie with leftover turkey, gammon and some puff pastry from the freezer and some leeks that were looking worse for wear from the fridge. Also have apple, pear and rhubarb crumble for pudding. All the fruit was frozen from last year's glut from the garden. I've also made a batch of red onion marmalade and boiled some eggs that my partner got YS sp he can have egg mayo for sandwiches in the week.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 14th May 18, 3:21 PM
    • 15,885 Posts
    • 134,642 Thanks
    JackieO
    I use the tinned spuds if I am doing a casserole for extra veg ,saves me peeling any I also sometimes fry them up with bacon egg and mushrooms, or chuck into a quiche cubed or thinly sliced
    Running total for four months food only shopping =£126.24.Freezer stuff slowly going down at last May totals £31.11 freezer and tinned cupboards are going down nicely
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 14th May 18, 3:59 PM
    • 5,139 Posts
    • 75,610 Thanks
    VJsmum
    I used up left over chicken in a lunchtime salad with leftover coleslaw from last night's bbq
    I also used up a bottle of no-alcohol beer last night - i am going alcohol free for a month as part of an exclusion diet. However today i have developed a rash under my eye again - so i definitely have an intolerance / allergy to something in beer (that isn't the alcohol). the rash was one of the reasons for the exclusion diet. I am hoping it's barley, but am rather afraid it might be yeast.

Tonight we are using up some of our mince stockpile that i found when doing my freezer inventory. OH wants lasagne so he can make it - i am not eating pasta (see above) so will have the bolognaise sauce with courgette and carrot - etti.
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    • By Mummy2cheekymonkeys 14th May 18, 4:15 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    Tonight we are having ham, egg and chips. I am finishing up the leftover cooked gammon from the freezer. I've made some chips from the last few potatoes in the cupboard and will use a few more of the YS eggs and a tin of beans.
    • kboss2010
    • By kboss2010 14th May 18, 8:14 PM
    • 1,036 Posts
    • 8,222 Thanks
    kboss2010
    I!!!8217;m challenging myself to use up all of our lo food to make my lunches, so far I!!!8217;ve made a coconut & lentil curry, a Greek salad, a feta & butternut squash quiche & a chicken & vegetable pie!
    "I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum
    'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. Tapping

I'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there
    ~ Lifehouse
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 14th May 18, 8:46 PM
    • 5,124 Posts
    • 38,256 Thanks
    joedenise
    I use the tinned spuds if I am doing a casserole for extra veg ,saves me peeling any I also sometimes fry them up with bacon egg and mushrooms, or chuck into a quiche cubed or thinly sliced
    Originally posted by JackieO
    They also roast quite nicely! When we're away in our motorhome we often cook them on the BBQ along with the onions & peppers to have with whatever meat we're having.

Denise
    • kboss2010
    • By kboss2010 14th May 18, 9:55 PM
    • 1,036 Posts
    • 8,222 Thanks
    kboss2010
    Saved a red pepper, a red onion, a potato, several eggs & some feta cheese from the food waste bin & made a sort-of quiche.
    "I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum
    'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. Tapping

I'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there
    ~ Lifehouse
    • JIL
    • By JIL 15th May 18, 12:51 AM
    • 2,960 Posts
    • 19,887 Thanks
    JIL
    I love tinned potatoes in a Spanish omelette, I lightly fry a couple of onions for about ten minutes, add a drained and sliced tin of spuds. Beat four or five eggs with a little salt and pepper. Mix the onion and potatoes into the eggs and pop it into a well greased deep cake tin and bake for 20 mins. ( I know I am supposed to cook it on the hob, but I burn the bottom and it's never set in the middle)
    It cuts into nice big wedges which are also fantastic in a bread roll that I regularly see Spanish people eating.
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 15th May 18, 1:41 AM
    • 629 Posts
    • 7,322 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Sad day today as my DSis!!!8217;s cats were rehomed - so Kentucky Chucky for dinner but the place is so far away that it had to be reheated in the microwave. Not very MSE but we were all too sad to cook.

MrsSD
    • Cappella
    • By Cappella 15th May 18, 7:55 AM
    • 465 Posts
    • 6,187 Thanks
    Cappella
    Iím sorry about your dsi s cats MrsSD. No wonder none of you felt like cooking x

Of to a good start here. Strawberries bought on Saturday which were already Ďturningí are now chopped and were the first things put into the new freezer ready to add to a fruit compote.

I cooked our first roast dinner in the new kitchen on Sunday. We had a very small joint of lively lean lamb on Sunday as a special treat (isnít lamb pricey!) It gave us two microwaved meals on Monday as well which used up all the leftover Sunday veg, and last night I cut off every last scrap of meat - only about half cupful - chopped it into tiny pieces, added the last dregs of the gravy to it and froze that as well. If I add a grated potato, carrot, onion and swede and a lot of pepper it will make two pasties with potato pastry. It is a wartime recipe my mum used to use, low in fat but a brilliant way to make a very little meat go a very long way.

So no waste this week, and thank you once again for letting me join the thread
    • maryb
    • By maryb 15th May 18, 10:11 AM
    • 3,713 Posts
    • 45,616 Thanks
    maryb
    Capella I do hope your lamb wasn't lively!

Isn't it amusing what a difference two letters being next to each other on the keyboard can make!
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 15th May 18, 4:39 PM
    • 15,885 Posts
    • 134,642 Thanks
    JackieO
    No cooking for me tonight as I am out to pub quiz so get fed there I seem to have a bit of a glut of eggs so lunch was a ham omelette using up the scrappy bits of left over ham from last night ham salad
    • K9sandFelines
    • By K9sandFelines 15th May 18, 8:25 PM
    • 1,914 Posts
    • 16,295 Thanks
    K9sandFelines
    Thought this might be the best place to post and ask; but would a sealed bottle of white wine vinegar dated 2014 be okay to use to make a chutney? I must have bought it for a purpose of which i have forgotten, and i haven't realised the date on it.

Sorry to gatecrash the thread. I used to join in, but life means i am way too busy now.
    Last edited by K9sandFelines; 15-05-2018 at 9:41 PM.
    GC 2017 (£4,000/£3434.09) Jan £264.28, Feb £179.18, Mar £290.38, APR £182.39, MAY £124.12 up to 22nd (spend frpm 21st to add)/£250 (£270 p.m/£3,250 p.a)

~ Still learning the art of frugality ~
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 15th May 18, 8:53 PM
    • 5,124 Posts
    • 38,256 Thanks
    joedenise
    I would have thought it would be fine. Don't think vinegar really goes off!

I still use pickles which were made that long ago so can't see why vinegar with that date would be any different.
    • K9sandFelines
    • By K9sandFelines 15th May 18, 9:42 PM
    • 1,914 Posts
    • 16,295 Thanks
    K9sandFelines
    I would have thought it would be fine. Don't think vinegar really goes off!

I still use pickles which were made that long ago so can't see why vinegar with that date would be any different.
    Originally posted by joedenise
    Thanks joedenise

That's what i thought. However i was just checking, as i think 2014 is my record yet on things being out of date. I'm sure Chutneys are dated well in advance anyway, which means the vinegar will have sat for an age too.
    GC 2017 (£4,000/£3434.09) Jan £264.28, Feb £179.18, Mar £290.38, APR £182.39, MAY £124.12 up to 22nd (spend frpm 21st to add)/£250 (£270 p.m/£3,250 p.a)

~ Still learning the art of frugality ~
    • Cappella
    • By Cappella 15th May 18, 10:01 PM
    • 465 Posts
    • 6,187 Thanks
    Cappella
    K9sandfelines - It should be fine for chutney making, I would certainly use it.

Maryb
    Capella I do hope your lamb wasn't lively!

Isn't it amusing what a difference two letters being next to each other on the keyboard can make!
    Whoops. That Iíd what happens when I post without proof reading! Conjures up quite a picture
    Started to make a big pan of chilli tonight and then found I had no red kidney beans so instead of going to the supermarket I improvised and I added a tin of 5 bean salad that has been hanging around in the cupboard for months. Was a bit dubious but it was very tasty and used up something I bought ages ago for a recipe I never got round to making.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 16th May 18, 1:11 PM
    • 15,885 Posts
    • 134,642 Thanks
    JackieO
    Chilli chicken thighs with salad for dinner tonight, DD bought me some mayo pesto today as she said I will really like it as she discovered its rather yummy so I will give it a go with my salad.
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 16th May 18, 8:05 PM
    • 629 Posts
    • 7,322 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Last night we used up the bolognese sauce from the freezer with added sad looking mushrooms & 1.5 boxes of pasta shells DB has a big appetite as he is a doer rather than a thinker but there was still plenty left for lunch or a snack. Everyone enjoyed it except me - my swollen face meant I struggled to eat

Tonight was supposed to be a slow cooked lamb stew but I was missing vital ingredients so that is tomorrow nightís dinner. Instead we had ham, eggs & chips & baked beans. It was simple but delicious I managed to eat & enjoy by cutting everything into very small pieces The face swelling has gone down a little so I can now see out of both eyes & am seeing the doctor tomorrow for antibiotics

We have five days to empty the fridge & freezer before they are picked up, so shopping is minimal & we are in for some interesting meals

LFHW

MrsSD
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,131Posts Today

8,004Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin