Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 13th Jan 18, 10:18 AM
    • 16,239Posts
    • 138,644Thanks
    JackieO
    Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)
    • 13th Jan 18, 10:18 AM
    Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :) 13th Jan 18 at 10:18 AM
    Hi chums I see for some reason unbeknown to us all that the previous thread was deleted .OK well lets no be despondant it was 11 months old and I certainly didn't expect it to run as long as it did,but this will no defeat us in our object to LFHW will it .So come on chums get those ideas rolling again for the new year ahead

JackieO xxx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018
    Half year totals = £166.19. July added equals £204 .29,Todays August food shop added equals £227.75
    1st Sept £34.66:15th Sept £34.44 totals £262.19
Page 28
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 5th May 18, 5:28 PM
    • 360 Posts
    • 1,780 Thanks
    Brambling
    Morning chums I had a hm jar of damson jar given to me last week,very nice but I don't eat a great deal of jam so it will have to be used in a victoria sponge cake I think.Can't think of anything else to do with it .Bless her this lady who gave it to me is so kind and I didn't want to offend her. I shall maybe have to put my thinking cap on to use it
    Originally posted by JackieO
    What about some thumb print cookie with jam in the centre or jam tarts I'm sure your DGSs can help dispose of them. Not sure if it's too warm for a sponge pudding with jam in the bottom, microwave not streamed for speed, maybe for after your family Sunday dinner
    • Living proof
    • By Living proof 5th May 18, 8:17 PM
    • 1,370 Posts
    • 8,794 Thanks
    Living proof
    I found a pack of Italian style barley and lentil veg which just needed 10 minutes to simmer. Oh, and the use by date was August 2014. Perfectly edible, no waste!
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    Mortgage and Debt Free. Unfortunately Pension Free too!
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 5th May 18, 8:27 PM
    • 1,014 Posts
    • 11,722 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Hi fellow LFHWrs,

Nothing thrown out today

Lunch today - DSis Italian tomato soup & crustybread, DH crusty bread with pate, potato salad & ham, me a pain au raisin & finished my plate of beetroot, potato salad & mortadella from yesterday

Dinner - DSis fried eggs, ham & sautee potatoes, DH fried eggs, pate & crusty bread, me lo pasta bolognese (fried) with lots of grated parmesan. We have a French custard tart for afters or yummy lemon cheesecake which I made on Thursday as a treat or my DSis

Tomorrow DSis is cooking shoulder of lamb with roast potatoes & lots of veg.

LFHW
    MrsSD
    • ScarletRibbons
    • By ScarletRibbons 6th May 18, 7:30 AM
    • 324 Posts
    • 4,214 Thanks
    ScarletRibbons
    I made some leek and potato soup from some YS leeks, and have done very little shopping for the past few weeks. Apart from veg and bread we can live out of the freezer for a bit. I have a few sprouty spuds - I'll cook, mash and freeze them.
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 6th May 18, 4:33 PM
    • 422 Posts
    • 7,160 Thanks
    YorksLass
    Tomorrow I'm planning on making a mushroom & chickpea pate to use up some mushrooms that are going somewhat wrinkly
    Originally posted by YorksLass
    Didn't happen as DH fancied a bacon & mushroom sarnie meaning not enough left for pate, but I used the rest up with other odds & ends to make 4 portions of mushroom soup, so nothing wasted.

This morning I've made 4 individual pots of lime jelly and fruit salad; now in the fridge and just waiting for them to set. There's half a tin of evaporated milk for a topping instead of custard or cream, so that's desserts sorted for a couple of days.

When I was rootling around in the cupboard for the jelly, I found half a packet of flaked almonds that I'm unlikely to use, so I've whizzed them up in the coffee grinder and now have ground almonds to add to the biscuit base the next time I make cheesecake.

Mrs SD: I hope DSis is feeling better now - it's probably a good thing you've got rid of the OOD/furry stuff from the fridge.

JackieO
    : Thoughts on using up the damson jam - tarts; a spoonful in rice pudding, yogurt or porridge; as a "surprise" in buns; folded through ice cream; as a filling for sweet pancakes. Mix with red wine to make a pan sauce for steak. Brush over chicken drumsticks for a sweet, sticky glaze. In barbecue sauce.

Hope everyone's enjoying the Bank Holiday - all the better with the much awaited sunshine!
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!
    Sep £97.93/£140 and 10/28 NSDs (Jan-Aug £211.81 under budget)

• JackieO
    • By JackieO 6th May 18, 10:14 PM
    • 16,239 Posts
    • 138,644 Thanks
    JackieO
    YorksLass folded into vanilla ice cream sounds a plan, make a nice change from strawberry or blackberry also maybe in the middle of muffins perhaps
    Half year totals = £166.19. July added equals £204 .29,Todays August food shop added equals £227.75
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 7th May 18, 8:27 PM
    • 1,014 Posts
    • 11,722 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Very frugal Monday

Brunch - lo bread with cheese & tomatoes from fridge for DSis, lo pain au raisin for DH & I

Dinner - lo slow cooked lamb in gravy & saut!ed lo boiled potatoes for DSis, ditto lo lamb for DH with saut!ed lo roast potatoes & I had lo pasta bolognese.

MrsSD
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 8th May 18, 11:48 AM
    • 1,014 Posts
    • 11,722 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Yippee DH is cooking dinner tonight - cheesey pasta using up various cheeses from the fridge & one of the many boxes of pasta

MrsSD
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 8th May 18, 4:23 PM
    • 16,239 Posts
    • 138,644 Thanks
    JackieO
    Still feeding from my freezer at the moment and as yet haven't had to buy very much this month. Tonight is quiz night at the pub so no cooking for me as we get a meal chucked in with the price of the quiz

I have enough salad stuff for tomorrow, so will have a salad of pilchards,lettuce tomato cucumber,grated cheese, new potatoes and diced beetroot, with some onon chutney That should more than fill me up and it saves me going to the shops until hopefully Thursday or Friday.

Using up what I have in stock is certainly paying off .On my shopping list at the moment I only have bran flakes and UHT milk to buy so far this week. I had a good root around the freezer and I still have a good few meals in there to use up

JackieO xx
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 8th May 18, 10:55 PM
    • 2,915 Posts
    • 8,743 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    Finally defrosted the freezer in the shed. Most of the food left in it was stewed fruit from last year, bread and a duck. After went down to the town and picked up fresh cod, mince, chicken and bread all ys down to 1/4 of the original price. Into the newly cleaned freezer it went with the frozen fruit.

Lunch ys rolls and ham with ys hot cross bun
    Dinner - left over hm lamb and mint gravy pie with three veg and lashing of left over gravy.

Tomorrow I am going to made a batch of bolognaise sauce with the ys button mushrooms and ys extra lean mince. Ready to turn into lasagna or have with linguine.
    £2 Savers Club 2018 no 1 - £500 + £220
    Save £12k in 2018 no. 56 - Jan £4096/£6,000 + £220
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 9th May 18, 7:36 AM
    • 16,239 Posts
    • 138,644 Thanks
    JackieO
    Yay well done Gem-gem, the hardest thing to do is get the blooming freezer emptied enough to defrost it I am about halfway there and still have a good way to go and when shopping I have to say in my head 'emptying freezer do not buy' as I walk past the y/s bargains . Jolly hard work though as they all look tempting but so fat over the past month I have resisted them I have two new drawers to replace the cracked ones in my freezer and they have been sitting in my spare room for months but they are definitely going to be in there by the summer (fingers crossed and purse firmly shut )

Today I am using up odds and ends of salady bits and will go food shopping possibly tomorrow ,or if I can manage it on Friday I haven't much to buy thank goodness as I shall try and get some more wriggle room in the freezer first.
    I SHALL empty this blooming freezer
    • Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    • By Mummy2cheekymonkeys 10th May 18, 10:26 AM
    • 164 Posts
    • 1,146 Thanks
    Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    Oh damson jam. I made some of this a couple of years ago. It was very tasty in a homemade jam roly poly.
    • Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    • By Mummy2cheekymonkeys 10th May 18, 4:49 PM
    • 164 Posts
    • 1,146 Thanks
    Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    I'm glad I'm not the only person who struggles with using up stuff from the freezer. I have 2 of them full to the brim with stuff. It seems like every time I make a bit of room there will be an offer on that's too good to miss and the room I've made gets quickly filled !!!55357;!!!56867;
    • Penguin8410
    • By Penguin8410 10th May 18, 5:03 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 205 Thanks
    Penguin8410
    been a bit of a lurker on this thread for a while and i definitly need to crack on with emptying my freezer and throwing away less from the fridge!

tonight we will have fajitas with some sad looking peppers and left over onion from the fridge!
    £14046.59 £14046.59

Snowballing

• VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 10th May 18, 5:48 PM
    • 5,324 Posts
    • 78,408 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Evening all - long time no post on this thread. I have spent the last few weeks dashing all over the country carrying out my research for my thesis. I've also needed to lose a few pounds so i have been on quite a restrictive diet. It's meant long days and some overnights away from home so any kind of food organising went out the window. I don't think a lot has been wasted but we haven't been shopping as i normally would. But the good news is that this part of the research is all but done and i can get our fridge, freezer and cupboards back into order.

So a big shop will be done tomorrow, after i've inventoried the fridge and cupboards and some meal plannning done to get us back on track.. (especially as lack of stuff in fridge and a trip to the theatre tonight means i've ended up paying £6.50 for a salad . It's quite a special, planet organic, salad but it's demonstrated that i need to get organised again...)
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 10th May 18, 6:06 PM
    • 1,014 Posts
    • 11,722 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Penguin8410 welcome

As you gradually empty your freezer, you will rejoice in being able to find what you want more easily & then provided you donít keep topping it up you will arrive at the glorious day when you have an empty freezer & can defrost & joy of joys start again listing what you put in I know I am a bit sad/mad but I have just described how I felt when I managed to empty & defrost my 2nd freezer which is now unplugged & in the garage. We need the space to stack my DSisís crates etc temporarily (I hope ) when she moves in with us Hope to reinstate the freezer so I can commence batch cooking

By the way, you are making a good start with the fajitas

We are a very friendly bunch & there are many helpful hints & tips & ideas. The people on here have helped me no end with ideas for leftovers (los) & I am gradually becoming a more confident & inventive cook

Please post

MrsSD
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 11th May 18, 2:36 PM
    • 1,014 Posts
    • 11,722 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Bonjour from a finally sunny France

Last night - roasted chicken thighs with two bags of stir fried veg from freezer.

Tonight new owners have invited us for dinner - authentic paella - so no cooking

MrsSD
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 12th May 18, 9:45 AM
    • 16,239 Posts
    • 138,644 Thanks
    JackieO
    Morning chums ,rain forecast for later so it will be a baking day for me Fruit cake, biscuits, a quiche and probably some cherry scones. Using uo some of my stores to fill up the baking boxes for the week.

quite a low spend yesterday at the food shops so quite pleased at thins months spends so far.

chicken quarter from the freezer for tonights dinner, slowly getting some room in there at last and discovering all sorts of goodies I had forgotten as well

Hope you all have a good and frugal weekend and use all your odds and ends up

JackieO xx
    • Cappella
    • By Cappella 13th May 18, 7:03 AM
    • 580 Posts
    • 7,817 Thanks
    Cappella
    Good Morning. May I join in please? Essential house renovations (MrC has Parkinsonís andd was really struggling so we now have a walk in shower instead of a bath AND a new kitchen as ours was 42 years old and becoming hazardous for various reasons) mean that I have an empty fridge, an empty freezer and an a very empty savings account.

I am going to have to be very careful, and donít want to waste a scrap of food after the upheaval of the past weeks. Ialways read this thread and find it an inspiration so hope you donít mind if I post my own attempts to cut waste; I think it would help me to stay on track. No food waste this week - but only because weíve been living on microwave meals and they were not very good. Kitchen came online yesterday so itís roast dinner today
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 13th May 18, 8:43 AM
    • 16,239 Posts
    • 138,644 Thanks
    JackieO
    Good Morning chums and welcome to our new friends who have decided to join our happy band of LFHW'ers great to see new folk join as a certain SM keeps telling us 'every little helps'
    Talking of which I went into said SM this week and was gobsmacked at their prices !!! I know I only shop around twice a month but I hadn't been in that particular shop for ages. Don't think I will be returning either. Far too expensive and almost everything double the price of the other two majors players who seem to be coming on in leaps and bounds.

My new local Aldi's knocks spots off their rivals and I am hoping that we may get a Lidls soon a bit closer that 6 miles away .Although I do have a trip out to them every now and again well worth the petrol if I fancy something different.
    It seems the Aldi's/Lidls have been taking on the big guns superbly and beating them Less choice admittedly but who need rows and rows of tinned beans. a bean is a bean and I for one don't care if its sheinz of not My purse is a lot fuller now and the other day I had to buy some ground black pepper as I was out of it and Aldi's were almost half the price of Sainsburys . I mean for goodness sake its only pepper It doesn't need to have been ground up by the hooves of unicorns its just something I use to spice up my meals.I always look at the price per 100gms and its quite a shock when you see those tiny little pots of herbs and spices in very pretty glass jars costing you a fortune in comparison to a bog basic cardboard tube, not as pretty to look at but I don't get swoony over small glass jars that look pretty I would rather have a 100 gms of pepper at a reasonable price and keep my cash in my purse

Anyway I digress, this month has been pretty good, and room is slowly appearing in my freezer at long last .I did buy a tub of vanilla ice cream in Aldi's and its the only freezer thing I bought as wanted to try the damson jam out swirled in it, and it was delicious, damson flavoured ice cream very yummy

My chicken quarter last night was rather nice as well as I found a pot of cajun spices in the cupboard and flavoured it with that and very tasty it was as well I love chicken but it can be a bit bland at times so I smeared some garlic puree over the skin, and sprinkled some cajun spice on top, put it into my Remoska and cooked until the juices ran clear Livened up last nights TV watching no end

Right onwards and upwards chums menu planning as usual this morning for the week

Have a good Sunday all

JackieO xxx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,524Posts Today

8,325Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin