Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 13th Jan 18, 10:18 AM
    • 16,264Posts
    • 138,818Thanks
    JackieO
    Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)
    • 13th Jan 18, 10:18 AM
    Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :) 13th Jan 18 at 10:18 AM
    Hi chums I see for some reason unbeknown to us all that the previous thread was deleted .OK well lets no be despondant it was 11 months old and I certainly didn't expect it to run as long as it did,but this will no defeat us in our object to LFHW will it .So come on chums get those ideas rolling again for the new year ahead

JackieO xxx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018
    Half year totals = £166.19. July added equals £204 .29,Todays August food shop added equals £227.75
    1st Sept £34.66:15th Sept £34.44 totals £262.19
Page 26
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 16th Apr 18, 6:50 PM
    • 5,365 Posts
    • 40,001 Thanks
    joedenise
    zafiro1984, when I used to have lots of frozen leftovers (usually a single portion) I would take two different ones out & then add appropriate carbohydrates & lots of frozen veg. DH & I never seem to have a problem deciding who wants what Re small amounts of leftovers e.g. a spoonful of mash, some lo cooked veg, a couple of sausages - I usually bung everything in a frying pan (chop the sausages) & dry fry - hey presto a type of bubble & squeak - if not enough for two, I will add a couple of fried eggs.

Donít know if this is any use ?

MrsSD
    Originally posted by Mrs Salad Dodger
    Exactly what I did for lunch today! Delicious it was too.

Denise
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 18th Apr 18, 12:13 AM
    • 1,034 Posts
    • 11,936 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Hi from France,

Trying to empty DSisís freezer & get her on the LFHW bandwagon

Monday nightís dinner was three different meals for 4 people - Nephew finished the lo pork from Sundayís roast dinner with chips from freezer & peas. DSis had a heated up Cornish Pasty (that DH brought from England as travel food but didnít eat) with the lo boiled potatoes (from Sunday) which she fried. DH & I had battered fish (from freezer) with chips & peas.

Tuesdayís dinner was pasta bolognese - using 2 packets of mince from the freezer, finishing off a jar of dried mushrooms & also finishing off a jar of bolognese spices & using two jars of tomato passata. Four jars duly washed & recycled.

Freezer diving for tomorrow as well

LFHW

MrsSD
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 19th Apr 18, 8:33 AM
    • 1,034 Posts
    • 11,936 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Wednesday's dinner for four :-

2 steaks from freezer & 2 steaks bought in the a.m., all the potatoes peeled & mashed, & 3 more tins of vegetables used from the shelf. Trying to empty freezer & shelves so no food to be taken to England or binned

Tonight spaghetti bolognese again!

LFHW

MrsSD
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 20th Apr 18, 8:45 AM
    • 16,264 Posts
    • 138,818 Thanks
    JackieO
    Morning chums as I am stuck at home for a couple of days I used my time productively and made a big pot of bendy carrot and coriander soup yesterday (even though the temperature outside was boiling ) and also made some melting moments biscuits .I may make some scones this morning as I still cannot go out in the hot sun just yet because of my poor arm.
    Glad to see everyone is still hanging onto their pennies and using up odds and ends I had a chicken curry from the freezer last night and tonight its going to be a small bit of steak and salad for dinner.
    Starting to get a bit of wriggle room in there at last

JackieO xxx
    Half year totals = £166.19. July added equals £204 .29,Todays August food shop added equals £227.75
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 22nd Apr 18, 6:21 PM
    • 1,034 Posts
    • 11,936 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    JackieO, glad the antibiotics are finally working

Friday's Dinner was frozen chips with ham for DH & DSis - I just had chips
    Saturday we had boiled new potatoes, fried tomatoes, haricot beans & the smallest lamb chops I have ever seen However they were very tasty.

DSis has just cooked roast lamb & roast potatoes with a bag of stir fry veg & very tasty it was too especially the roasties Loads of lamb leftover so my DSis will be having lots over the next few days Lamb is always the last choice of a roast meat for DH & I - he loves pork with crackling of course & I love beef. Rarely have roast chicken as I prefer making meals with thighs or breasts of chicken

With the weather so hot, we have been having croissants or pain au raisin for breakfast, no lunch & then dinner. However DSis & I are drinking enough tea to sink a battleship & DH is drinking enough coffee to sink his own battleship Using up leftovers is not going well nor can we freeze them as trying to empty freezer (it also needs to be sold ) Literally everything must go including the bed DH & I are sleeping on

Any unused tinned food will be donated to DNeph

I will revert to being a Love Food, Hate Waster when I am back in my own kitchen & cooking everything from scratch with a fluid weekly menu plan - my DSis tends to go for convenience freezer food as she really dislikes cooking & even more so when there is just her to cook for

Enough whingeing from me

MrsSD
    • crazytree
    • By crazytree 23rd Apr 18, 12:53 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 1,179 Thanks
    crazytree
    Just got back from THE BIG SHOP for the month. Tidied out the fridge and freezer as I put away. Plans to use most things in there BUT there is one of those pointy cabbages that I bought (no idea why). There is also the remains of a green cabbage that I can give to the hens but I don't want to give them two cabbages because it's me that has to clear up their poop!!!! (Sorry)
    Any ideas on things to make with cabbage? Or can I freeze it until we're having a more gravy type of dinner that it'll go with?
    Any help gratefully received....
    Please?
    Tx
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 23rd Apr 18, 1:01 PM
    • 3,910 Posts
    • 6,139 Thanks
    bouicca21
    It is my considered opinion that the best thing to do with cabbage is to add it to the compost heap. I still remember the over cooked soggy mess of my childhood. I don't give the stuff house room.

I suppose you could add it to a stir fry?
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 23rd Apr 18, 2:44 PM
    • 5,365 Posts
    • 40,001 Thanks
    joedenise
    crazytree - You can buy frozen cabbage so can't see why you wouldn't be able to freeze it to use at a later date.

Roasted a chicken yesterday and had for dinner. Have picked the rest of the meat off and will be using some for a stirfry tonight; some for sandwiches and the rest for a curry tomorrow. Have made the curry sauce today so will just need to reheat and and the chicken for just a couple of minutes at the end so it doesn't go stringy!

Denise
    • wort
    • By wort 23rd Apr 18, 3:49 PM
    • 813 Posts
    • 10,503 Thanks
    wort
    The cabbage shredded finely in a salad, or stir fry. Also bits thrown in a stew or casserole . coleslaw? Wrapped in foil should keep well in salad drawer in fridge.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 23rd Apr 18, 3:49 PM
    • 20,720 Posts
    • 55,796 Thanks
    Pollycat
    J
    Any ideas on things to make with cabbage? Or can I freeze it until we're having a more gravy type of dinner that it'll go with?
    Any help gratefully received....
    Please?
    Tx
    Originally posted by crazytree
    I freeze any left over cabbage.

Use it in a dinner with other veg or I add it to mashed potatoes for a shepherd's pie topping.
    Ups your 5 a day and gives a different texture.

It is my considered opinion that the best thing to do with cabbage is to add it to the compost heap. I still remember the over cooked soggy mess of my childhood. I don't give the stuff house room.

Originally posted by bouicca21
    I can't really remember how the cabbage was cooked at school.
    But my Mum used to overcook most vegetables - carrots, cauli, sprouts - but I don't see that as a reason not to eat it cooked as I like it now some 45 years later.

And yes, it goes well in a stir fry.

I also use cabbage in Kapuska which is a Middle-Eastern recipe.
    I saw Rick Stein cook it on his Venice to Istanbul series.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 23rd Apr 18, 6:21 PM
    • 16,264 Posts
    • 138,818 Thanks
    JackieO
    Wrap the cabbage in tin foil and put it in the salad drawer it will last for several weeks like that or take off the outer leavers shred and bag up in the freezer it freezes very well I do the fridge method only because I can cut and come again from it as and when I need it and a bag of shredded cabbage in the freezer will take up too much room
    • crazytree
    • By crazytree 24th Apr 18, 10:04 AM
    • 43 Posts
    • 1,179 Thanks
    crazytree
    There are some brilliant ideas for cabbage here. Thanks everyone. I never thought of putting it in a stir fry, which will fit in with the meal plan very nicely, do I shall probably do that and have a go at freezing the rest. The Kapuska looks nice but I'm not sure Himself will approve of cabbage stew! I didn't even know wrapping it in foil was a thing, I just take it out of the plastic bag (which isn't needed) to stop it sweating!
    I totally understand how childhood experience of cabbage could put you off it, Bouicca. My Mum cooked it pretty well, she didn't approve of overcooking veg. She did manage to put me off both courgettes and chickpeas for life though - and anything with bran in it due to the time she (we) did the f-plan diet!
    Thank all!
    Tx
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 24th Apr 18, 1:42 PM
    • 5,365 Posts
    • 40,001 Thanks
    joedenise
    Finishing off the chicken from Sunday's roast in a HM curry sauce. Will have with spiced rice.

Denise
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 24th Apr 18, 8:53 PM
    • 1,034 Posts
    • 11,936 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Monday nightís dinner was left over lamb in gravy with boiled potatoes, green beans, peas & carrots.

Had pain au raisin for breakfast, all three of us actually had lunch today a beautiful salad - the salad was so nice that I had another salad for dinner DH & DSis finished off the lo lamb in gravy - DH had with crusty bread & DSis had the lo boiled potatoes fried. Each of us thoroughly enjoyed our meal & I did the washing up straightaway

If the weather tomorrow is as nice as today then I will probably have salad again but no ideas for DH & DSis

MrsSD
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 24th Apr 18, 11:42 PM
    • 1,350 Posts
    • 10,592 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    This may sound counter-intuitive to this thread but I've just bought 12 x 600ml cartons of double cream to make ice cream as my hens have suddenly decided it's Spring and are laying their socks off. I sell eggs at the gate but just now I have plenty left over so the 12 cartons will take care of 96 eggs. I'm doing dark chocolate and ginger, coffee, chocolate, lemon, orange, lemon and lime, brown bread and blackcurrant flavours - all of which I have in the freezer, fridge or cupboard. It's going to be a busy day tomorrow!!!
    May Grocery challenge 117.37/150 only got 32.63 left
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 25th Apr 18, 8:30 AM
    • 16,264 Posts
    • 138,818 Thanks
    JackieO
    Sounds like an excellent way to speculate to accumulate I think your ice cream needs will be covered for a nice scorching hot summer hopefully and its not wasting cash when its something thats been used up i.e. the surplus eggs. The flavours sound gorgeous Well done on such a brilliant idea
    • purpleybat
    • By purpleybat 25th Apr 18, 10:53 AM
    • 356 Posts
    • 3,018 Thanks
    purpleybat

Originally posted by bouicca21
    stir fried cabbage is lovely, i do some onions and mushrooms, chuck in shredded cabbage and slosh of soy sauce or water, bung a lid on for a few minutes then remove it to dry it out. a sprinkle of sesames seeds is nice.
    stuffed cabbage leaves (if they're big), i've done those before with a mince filling, covered in tomato sauce. they've frozen okay.
    i don't think i'd freeze a cabbage, i think the ice crystals would make it really watery and tasteless (like school stuff) but i could be wrong.
    gc 2017 £1841.27.
    2018 jan £124.69/£130 feb £157.97/£150 mar £221.33/£200 apr £223.04/£250
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 25th Apr 18, 11:00 AM
    • 20,720 Posts
    • 55,796 Thanks
    Pollycat
    This may sound counter-intuitive to this thread but I've just bought 12 x 600ml cartons of double cream to make ice cream as my hens have suddenly decided it's Spring and are laying their socks off. I sell eggs at the gate but just now I have plenty left over so the 12 cartons will take care of 96 eggs. I'm doing dark chocolate and ginger, coffee, chocolate, lemon, orange, lemon and lime, brown bread and blackcurrant flavours - all of which I have in the freezer, fridge or cupboard. It's going to be a busy day tomorrow!!!
    Originally posted by zafiro1984
    Ahem.

Just to say I'm first in the queue for the dark chocolate and ginger (a match made in heaven) and lemon & lime.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 25th Apr 18, 4:20 PM
    • 16,264 Posts
    • 138,818 Thanks
    JackieO
    Mmmm lemon and lime my favourite, I could manage the ginger but not with dark chocolate though I am not keen on that at all
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 25th Apr 18, 4:21 PM
    • 1,034 Posts
    • 11,936 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    No sun today - rainy & chilly so bangers, mash & baked beans

MrsSD
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

170Posts Today

1,241Users online

Martin's Twitter