Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 13th Jan 18, 10:18 AM
    • 15,893Posts
    • 134,715Thanks
    JackieO
    Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)
    • 13th Jan 18, 10:18 AM
    Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :) 13th Jan 18 at 10:18 AM
    Hi chums I see for some reason unbeknown to us all that the previous thread was deleted .OK well lets no be despondant it was 11 months old and I certainly didn't expect it to run as long as it did,but this will no defeat us in our object to LFHW will it .So come on chums get those ideas rolling again for the new year ahead

JackieO xxx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018
    Running total for four months food only shopping =£126.24.Freezer stuff slowly going down at last May totals £31.11 freezer and tinned cupboards are going down nicely
Page 20
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 9th Mar 18, 8:52 AM
    • 15,893 Posts
    • 134,715 Thanks
    JackieO
    Good morning chums and a brighter morning ahead by the looks of things.

I have posted my recipe for 'melting moments biscuit's' on the 'Fiscal fast' forum for those of you who have asked for it.
    Hope it helps as they are really nice and so quick ,easy and cheap to make.

Today I shall be probably make some jam tarts with left over pastry odds and ends from the freezer.
    I always seem to make too much pastry, and any left over bits I wrap in cling film and freeze.Once there are enough odds and ends I get them out ,defrost and make either some jam tarts, or a pastry case which I turn into a latticed mince meat tart, or if enough a small apple pie. Today as I shall see my DGS this afternoon I will make them some jam tarts as I have some odds and ends of jam in various jars to use up.

If there is still pastry left, the last few may end up with some golden syrup and crushed up cereal as filling. I collect the ends of the cereal boxes in a lock'n'lock box so they can be crushed up with a rolling pin for this purpose,add a small handful of granola and its surprising how tasty and crunchy the filling can be in a few small tarts absolutely nothing goes to waste

I have three ravenous teenage boys who come in from school with hollow legs and often a few of their pals. They are all bean poles, and can make my cakes,biscuits and tarts vanish like snow on a warm day Friday afternoon is 'Grannies' treat day and they descend like locusts

I am out tonight to a big charity quiz night in Chatham with my team so I have no dinner to cook tonight as we get fed and watered there

Hope you all have a good and frugal weekend .

determined new ms your pizza sounds delicious and well done for being so inventive and I bet it tasted even better as it was HM with left over odds and ends. Great touse up things that would perhaps have been binned
    Running total for four months food only shopping =£126.24.Freezer stuff slowly going down at last May totals £31.11 freezer and tinned cupboards are going down nicely
    • Ginmonster
    • By Ginmonster 9th Mar 18, 10:09 AM
    • 305 Posts
    • 4,038 Thanks
    Ginmonster
    I was out at a charity showing of the film Suffragette for international women's Day last night so wasn't at home for tea. I expected hubby to order in pizza as he usually does whenever I'm out but he surprised me by eating up the leftover leek and potato bake. I am pleased but also sightly disappointed as I fancied that for my lunch today!

I still have loads of beetroot houmous left so I'll probably have some more of that with something for lunch. Maybe some felafels and salad. I think there are a couple of felafels in the freezer somewhere. Must go and rummage.
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 11th Mar 18, 4:01 AM
    • 634 Posts
    • 7,417 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    I must be the only person in the world who never sees good yellow sticker bargains! Not fair (sulk)...
    Originally posted by crazytree
    crazytree, you are not alone It doesn’t matter when I go into MrA - I never find good ys bargains - the ys I see are 50 - 70 pence off

Saturday, I used the last of the sliced loaf from freezer to make toast with fried eggs - simple but tasty. Dinner was hm bolognese meat sauce from freezer with spaghetti from store cupboard. Enough sauce left for a Sunday snack. Chilli con carne from freezer with rice from store cupboard for Sunday dinner. The big freezer empty has begun

MrsSD
    LFHW
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 11th Mar 18, 7:05 AM
    • 404 Posts
    • 5,559 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    crazytree, you are not alone It doesn’t matter when I go into MrA - I never find good ys bargains - the ys I see are 50 - 70 pence off
    Originally posted by Mrs Salad Dodger
    I went to my local Coop, ys broccoli reduced from 53p to 48p and it was 'yellow' . still good to eat! they must be joking
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • WeeMidgie
    • By WeeMidgie 11th Mar 18, 8:35 AM
    • 230 Posts
    • 5,040 Thanks
    WeeMidgie
    Forgive me if this has been mentioned before... I needed to use up half a tub of hummus, and had not quite a full serving of chicken and vegetable soup. The two combined made a delicious creamy soup, filling and tasty. For those of us who avoid dairy, it gives a way to have a creamy texture in foods.

Often as a singleton, even the smaller size pot of hummus is too much, and I find although it freezes, it's not quite the same again. So, in future, I'll try adding it in to other soups, casseroles and stir fries.
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 11th Mar 18, 7:58 PM
    • 346 Posts
    • 6,211 Thanks
    YorksLass
    Today I've made Soup of the Week - chunky vegetable & bean with chorizo - and there's enough for 3 portions for two, so that's three lunches sorted. It's used up a fair few bits from the fridge and freezer (onion, carrot, swede, celery, broccoli and mushroom stalks, half a small tin of sweetcorn, a handful of frozen peas, finely chopped chorizo, tin of white kidney beans) cooked in chicken stock made from a cube. For flavour I added cumin, curry powder and a good dollop of tomato puree. There's a bit of chorizo left so I'll shred and dry fry that till crispy to sprinkle on top. A tasty and filling "winter" soup.

Earlier this week there was a link on another thread to a recipe for a Milky Boiled Fruit Cake made with condensed milk. I have a tin that's on my "use up" list so I'm going to give it a go. It's done by the melting method in a pan before baking, my favourite method as it's so easy to do.

We have a weather programme on local radio on Sundays and one of the guest speakers today was a chap called Dave King who gives long range forecasts. He's not a Met Office bod (billed as weather without technology, using nature, moons, etc) but is uncannily accurate. Sadly, he's predicting another cold (possibly snow filled) snap around the 17th of this month. I hope not but, if he's right, it could be a case of deja vu.

This week's meal plan:
    Sun - Lamb slices in gravy*, mashed potatoes, carrot & swede mash
    Mon - Bacon, mushrooms & peppers in a cheese & bacon sauce (to use up half a jar in fridge) with pasta
    Tue - Pork shoulder steaks* braised with onions and apple, mix of peas & sweetcorn, mashed potatoes
    Wed - Chicken* stir fry with noodles
    Thu - Beef sausage*, chunky hm chips, braised red cabbage*
    Fri - Battered haddock (from chippy) with hm mushy peas
    Sat - Hm fakeaway king prawn curry & rice
    * From freezer stocks
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!
    May £130.30/£175.00 NSDs144/35 (Jan-Apr £66.88 under budget)

• JackieO
    • By JackieO 11th Mar 18, 11:08 PM
    • 15,893 Posts
    • 134,715 Thanks
    JackieO
    My DGS Danny in NYC told me this afternoon they are forecast another nor'easter there later this week, and we normally get their weather a couple of days later so its a possibility I guess YorksLass. batten down the hatches chums ,and don't put the boots away just yet

JackieO xx
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 12th Mar 18, 6:54 AM
    • 5,141 Posts
    • 75,630 Thanks
    VJsmum
    I have to confess that I am going to be throwing away some leftovers...

I mafe tuna pasta bake that i haven't done for years and i think that there was something in it that contains a lot of monosodium glutamate whjch i am EXTREMELY sensitive to. I've hax a dreadful night with little sleep and now have hangover symptoms and a sore neck...

It's got to go
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 12th Mar 18, 7:14 AM
    • 15,893 Posts
    • 134,715 Thanks
    JackieO
    VJsmum definitely bin if its made you ill,its not worth being poorly and certainly not a hanging offence I never eat chinese food for the same reason ,every time I have tried it I have been really ill.
    I steer clear, which is a shame as it always looks and smells nice but hey ho there are lots of other things to have instead
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 12th Mar 18, 8:06 AM
    • 5,141 Posts
    • 75,630 Thanks
    VJsmum
    VJsmum definitely bin if its made you ill,its not worth being poorly and certainly not a hanging offence I never eat chinese food for the same reason ,every time I have tried it I have been really ill.
    I steer clear, which is a shame as it always looks and smells nice but hey ho there are lots of other things to have instead
    Originally posted by JackieO
    Yes, I don't eat chinese food either. Cursing myself, because I have just read the ingredients on the tin of condensed mushroom soup - and it even says it's in there. They don't always say, will just call it flavouring. Grrr
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • crazytree
    • By crazytree 12th Mar 18, 7:27 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 1,165 Thanks
    crazytree
    I'm stretching a roast chicken this week. Roast dinner last night, Nasi goreng (sp?) today, sandwiches and later in the week a soup. Trying to stretch our remaining fruit too as Himself didn't fancy going to Aldi today.
    Tx
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 13th Mar 18, 12:10 AM
    • 634 Posts
    • 7,417 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Hi fellow LFHWrs,

Re Sunday, the lo bolognese didn’t get eaten as a snack I finished off the last of the spaghetti & stretched the bolognese out to make dinner. So Sunday’s planned dinner was held over to tonight - chilli con carne (from the freezer) with rice & tortilla chips from the store cupboard. Tomorrow’s dinner is out of the freezer & defrosting in the fridge - Sausage Casserole to be served with rice (we have lots as DH bought a sack of it - he loves rice but I prefer mash )

The freezer is emptying nicely & we haven’t done ANY food shopping since Saturday the 3rd ATM I CBA to cook from scratch so am emptying the freezer. (It also means I am getting freezer boxes emptied & washed for the next lot of batch cooking after I have defrosted the freezer )

I haven’t done the Ready, Steady Cook challenge for a few weeks, so I need to do that this week

LFHW

MrsSD
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 13th Mar 18, 9:36 AM
    • 15,893 Posts
    • 134,715 Thanks
    JackieO
    Good Morning chums only lunch to do today as I am still full from yesterdays food at the funeral I went to.
    A cuppa will more than do me for breakfast this morning.I have a U3A coffee morning at 10.30 so I will probably have a hot chocolate there as I get two hot drinks per month with my Dobbies loyalty card, and our coffee morning are held there.

Tonight I will be at our pub quiz where I get fed so lunch will be I think some crackers with the last bit of herby soft cheese and sliced tomato and cucumber on top with probably a diced apple for afterwards.

Down to three oranges and two apples in the fruit bowl so as I am not shopping until Thursday they will be eked out over the next couple of days. Veg wise I have about a quarter of a head of broccoli and a sweetheart cabbage wrapped in my fridge plus lettuce,cucumber and around 4 tomatoes,and half a long pointed sweet pepper, so I have more than enough to keep me going Still have enough potatoes as well

Tomorrow night I think I will have a HM chicken curry from the freezer with some rice and a bit of naan bread also from the freezer.I am determined to use up my freezer stuff as much as possible ,but I have been out so much over the past week or two that there has not been a great deal of emptying going on

Still as yet I have not been to the shops for any food shopping this month yet so Thursdays bill may be a little bit higher. I estimate around £20.00 with luck looking at the stuff on my list but that should do me for a good week to ten days once I have got everything needed. I am away on holiday in April for almost a week so I shan't need to be buying a great deal this month anyway.

The food purse is doing well and any left over cash from my monthly budget of £60.00 goes into the holiday fund for our two week holiday in August.January and February 's food bill was pretty low as I am shopping from my cupboards when I can.

Well done everyone on sticking to using up what you can and being inventive in your recipes Its great to see how well people have taken to LFHW over the past year as when I first posted I never thought it would still be going a year later Even though the first thread was deleted we have carried on regardless with part two

Cheers chums JackieO xxx
    Last edited by JackieO; 13-03-2018 at 9:38 AM.
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 14th Mar 18, 6:44 PM
    • 346 Posts
    • 6,211 Thanks
    YorksLass
    My DGS Danny in NYC told me this afternoon they are forecast another nor'easter there later this week, and we normally get their weather a couple of days later so its a possibility I guess YorksLass. batten down the hatches chums ,and don't put the boots away just yet JackieO xx
    Originally posted by JackieO
    Seems Dave King was right - the Met Office has confirmed colder, wetter, windy weather with sleet on Friday and light snow on Saturday for where I am, with yellow warnings too. Boots, gloves, scarf, hat, long padded coat (aka Michelin Man costume) don't get put away until much later in the year. I'll shop locally tomorrow for milk and F&V so I can watch the white stuff from inside.

Hope you're feeling better now VJsmum, that pesky MSG has a lot to answer for. It must make life so difficult and, being a lover of Chinese/Thai foods, I'm so thankful I don't have any food allergies.

Today I've tried the Milky Boiled Fruit Cake recipe using up a tin of condensed milk that's definitely outstayed its welcome (bbe Mar 2016 ). The recipe called for dried mixed fruit that I didn't have (don't care much for the candied peel) so I used half + half sultanas and raisins, plus the last few glace cherries and dried apricots. And probably double the quantity of mixed spice. It's a somewhat denser texture than I was expecting but it tastes fine and at least the fruit is well distributed instead of settling at the bottom.

My pantry "shop" is looking much tidier these days, although I did add to it yesterday by buying two jars of Kung Po sauce that the Co-op were selling for 50p each (down from £1.99 each) with a bbe date of Aug 2018. That's not a problem as they'll get used up long before that. I'm guessing they won't be stocking it again and needed the shelf space.

Also splashed out on a large joint of topside beef that I'll cook on Sunday. I'll make plenty of gravy so I can slice and freeze several portions for "some other time". And I now have a Sharpie pen to use as a weapon against freezer UFOs.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!
    May £130.30/£175.00 NSDs144/35 (Jan-Apr £66.88 under budget)

• joedenise
    • By joedenise 14th Mar 18, 7:16 PM
    • 5,133 Posts
    • 38,296 Thanks
    joedenise
    Wouldn't be without my Sharpie pens. Been using them for several years now. They also last a long time which is a bonus!

Denise
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 14th Mar 18, 11:58 PM
    • 15,893 Posts
    • 134,715 Thanks
    JackieO
    Will be food shopping tomorrow for the first food shop this month, I have a list of what I need and shall stick to it as much as I can.

Forecast is indeed getting chillier again this weekend .Brr I cannot be cold I can do without lots of things but being cold is a no-no for me as my joints seize up and just won't work properly.

I have a stash of diced beef in the freezer that I intend to SC overnight tomorrow night and will portion it up for the freezer with cheesy mash on top for instant ready meals in take away boxes.

I also have some mixed veg that I will chuck in as well to the pot, as I know there is a bag of Y/S stuff in the freezer as well so it will bulk out the meat nicely and use up a couple of the foil packets of casserole mixes in the 'Use-it-up- to-make-more -room box on the side in the kitchen

Some of them are a bit OOD but I'm not fussy its only sauce mixes in a dehydrated powdered state so I doubt it will kill me slowly working my way through them and only have a few more to go I did have quite a stash at one time

JackieO xxx
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 16th Mar 18, 2:19 AM
    • 634 Posts
    • 7,417 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Late again

Thursday’s dinner was from the freezer :- DH had lo bubble & squeak (from last year) + 2 fried eggs & a chunk of sm ciabatta (he enjoyed it so much he wants it every night shame as their was only one portion ), I had lo takeaway curry + 1 fried egg & a small slice of ciabatta

Friday’s dinner is already defrosting in the fridge - hm lasagne & hm peperonata. The freezer is emptying nicely & if we do have snow Saturday night I have hm soup & hm scone dough to take out of the freezer for Sunday. Not yet sure about Saturday’s menu

LFHW

MrsSD
    • Ginmonster
    • By Ginmonster 16th Mar 18, 9:46 AM
    • 305 Posts
    • 4,038 Thanks
    Ginmonster
    For the first time in ages I had to bin about a third of a loaf of bread today. I was shocked that it had gone mouldy. Then I remembered that I made it last weekend. Oops! Normally I slice it up and freeze it if it's not being used quickly but I just didn't notice the time going by this week. Lesson learned.

In the last couple of days I've been prioritising using up veg in the fridge that have been sitting around too long. I made a batch of parsnip soup, half of which I added lentils and spices to make dal and the other half I left as is. We ate most of the dal with some hm chapattis last night for tea and there's a portion left for my lunch today.

I've also whizzed up a handful of mixed leaves, a round lettuce and some broccoli with hazelnuts and lemon favoured oil to make a pesto. Half has gone in the freezer (labelled - I too am a Sharpie convert) and half in the fridge for using over the next few days.

Our milk consumption is a bit erratic depending on the cereal/toast preferences of the household so as we were long on milk I made a big batch of cheese sauce and froze it in 3 portions.

I just need to plan out the weekend's meals now. Maybe I'll put the kettle on first. ;-)
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 16th Mar 18, 9:54 AM
    • 15,893 Posts
    • 134,715 Thanks
    JackieO
    Hi chums I am more than happy with what I spent and have made a big 2 litres of mushroom soup from the 25p Y/S mushrooms I snaffled yesterday That's about 7-8 portions so plenty for a few lunches and some frozen for another day. I have retrieved a nice piece of salmon fillet from the freezer and will have that for dinner tonight with some sweet chilli marinade and cheesy mash and green veg.diced grapes and greek yogurt for pud I think.

I am going to take out some stewing beef from the freezer to defrost and make a big casserole in the SC overnight as I can then portion it up for some ready made meals to freeze for next week as I have quite a busy week ahead Weekends are my cooking times as a rule so I catch up with batch cooking and baking then.

Hope everyone has a good weekend and you are all warm and dry and the forecasted snow isn't too bad

Cheers chums
    JackieO xx
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 16th Mar 18, 4:40 PM
    • 5,133 Posts
    • 38,296 Thanks
    joedenise
    We ate out today and our steaks were too big so we've bought home half of each one and we'll probably have that tonight in a sandwich! I love a steak sandwich.

I definitely wasn't going to let the restaurant throw the steak away!

Denise
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,356Posts Today

7,669Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin