Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 13th Jan 18, 10:18 AM
    • 15,894Posts
    • 134,727Thanks
    JackieO
    Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)
    • 13th Jan 18, 10:18 AM
    Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :) 13th Jan 18 at 10:18 AM
    Hi chums I see for some reason unbeknown to us all that the previous thread was deleted .OK well lets no be despondant it was 11 months old and I certainly didn't expect it to run as long as it did,but this will no defeat us in our object to LFHW will it .So come on chums get those ideas rolling again for the new year ahead

JackieO xxx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018
    Running total for four months food only shopping =126.24.Freezer stuff slowly going down at last May totals 31.11 freezer and tinned cupboards are going down nicely
Page 19
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 2nd Mar 18, 4:40 PM
    • 346 Posts
    • 6,218 Thanks
    YorksLass
    Suggestions please, I have a bag of pears, about 4 WEEKS past the sell by date and still rock hard. Do I wait and see if they will ever be soft enough to eat or do you think cooking them is the best option? Thanks
    Originally posted by silver-oldie
    You could try poached pears. At its simplest, allow one pear per person (peeled, halved and cored), place into microwave dish, cover with fizzy lemonade or ginger ale and cook for 10 mins. Eat hot or cold. Replace the fizzy with diet soda for diabetics.

Or how about baked pears? Again, one pear per person (peeled, cored and halved), place cut side up in a shallow dish. Place 2 tsp butter in each, drizzle with a little lemon juice. Mix together 2 tsps demerara sugar and tsp cinnamon, sprinkle over pears. Top each with 2 tsps marmalade. Cover and bake at 180C/Gas 4 for 20 mins or until heated through.

Today DH braved it to go to the local shops for potatoes and fresh milk (short of both), although we would have managed without if needs be. I always have a carton of long life milk in the pantry and I could have substituted the potatoes with rice, pasta or dumplings. He also picked up some butter and a tin of corned beef. They weren't really needed so I asked him why he'd got those and he replied "Well, they were on your shopping list." Bless. He said the pavements were treacherous to walk on and it looked as if the C!op hadn't had their usual delivery so their shelves had quite a lot of gaps in them, especially for bread, milk, F&V.

I'm hoping there won't be any more of the white stuff coming our way but we're still on a yellow weather warning so we'll have to wait and see. The enforced confinement to indoors is making spaces appear in the freezer and cupboards as we use stuff up but there's still lots to go at so we won't be going hungry anytime soon.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!
    May 130.30/175.00 NSDs144/35 (Jan-Apr 66.88 under budget)

• phizzimum
    • By phizzimum 2nd Mar 18, 5:37 PM
    • 1,697 Posts
    • 9,246 Thanks
    phizzimum
    Suggestions please,
    I have a bag of pears, about 4 WEEKS past the sell by date and still rock hard.
    Do I wait and see if they will ever be soft enough to eat or do you think cooking them is the best option?

Thanks
    Originally posted by silver-oldie
    When we get pears like that I chop them finely and make muffins with them. Lovely with chopped stem ginger in too
    weaving through the chaos...
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 2nd Mar 18, 6:05 PM
    • 404 Posts
    • 5,565 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    if you have the patience then wait ,personally I would probably turn them into a crumble I would peel and slice and put into a little water with a dollop of honey and a dash of cinnamon and cook until just soft then drain and either use in a crumble or a pie (but then I am a pie/crumble sort of lady

JackieO
    Originally posted by JackieO
    DH loves pies and crumbles so I think I will cook them and make a crumble
    Never thought of muffins lovely idea

Thank you for all suggestions
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 2nd Mar 18, 10:30 PM
    • 2,824 Posts
    • 8,336 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    Hello everyone. I have been lurking and enjoying reading all your posts.
    Hubby and I hate to throw any food away.

I have a pear every morning in my porridge.
    35g porridge
    225g soya milk
    1 pear chopped up ( core taken out, skin kept on).
    Microwaved for 3 minutes stirred and then for another 30sec to a minute.
    Delicious, it is like having pudding every morning for breakfast.

I have also made apple and pear crumble.
    Last edited by Gem-gem; 02-03-2018 at 10:38 PM.
    2 Savers Club 2018 no 1 - 500 +
    Save 12k in 2018 no. 56 - Jan 2280/6,000
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 2nd Mar 18, 10:42 PM
    • 2,824 Posts
    • 8,336 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    Carrots in coleslaw peeled.
    Carrots in stew or toasted not peeled.

Broccoli stalk ( main stalk) otter but cut off and then chopped into batons and cooked with the florets.

Cauliflower out leaves taken off the stalks and cooked with the florists.

Parsnips - small and young / early season - not always peeled and less of the core removed. Later on in the season - peeled and cited.

Does anyone else other bits to the vegetables / other vegetables that are usually discarded?
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 2nd Mar 18, 11:11 PM
    • 5,145 Posts
    • 75,665 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Lemon drizzle tray bake made today with two lemons left over from Christmas.

Tomorrow I shall turn some going over veg into a curry for Monday
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • phizzimum
    • By phizzimum 3rd Mar 18, 12:08 PM
    • 1,697 Posts
    • 9,246 Thanks
    phizzimum
    My kids prefer the brocolli stalks to the florets GemGem!
    weaving through the chaos...
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 3rd Mar 18, 6:13 PM
    • 346 Posts
    • 6,218 Thanks
    YorksLass
    Does anyone else other bits to the vegetables / other vegetables that are usually discarded?
    Originally posted by Gem-gem
    No waste here - our motto is to use all parts of veggies in some way or other. I keep any peelings, stalks etc in a box in the fridge and cook them up to make vegetable stock.

Meal plan done for the coming week and I won't be shopping at all. True, the freezer and cupboards will be taking a hit, but I'd rather that than risk breaking my neck on the ice!

Sun - Beef * & veg casserole (cooking now in the SC), savoy cabbage, mashed potatoes
    Mon - Hm porkburgers * with sweet chilli sauce, baked courgette slice, hm chunky chips
    Tue - Liver, bacon & onion casserole *, edamame beans *, mashed potato
    Wed - White fish fillet * baked in a foil parcel, broccoli, dauphinoise potatoes
    Thu - Cornish pasty *, sweetcorn, mashed potatoes
    Fri - Battered haddock & mushy peas
    Sat - Seafood * platter with brown bread & butter

* From freezer.

Some baking may be on the cards this week as the treats tins are looking very forlorn!
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!
    May 130.30/175.00 NSDs144/35 (Jan-Apr 66.88 under budget)

• Spider In The Bath
    • By Spider In The Bath 3rd Mar 18, 9:59 PM
    • 1,213 Posts
    • 4,309 Thanks
    Spider In The Bath
    ...Cauliflower out leaves taken off the stalks and cooked with the florists...
    Originally posted by Gem-gem
    It must be like Sweeney Todd in your house.

"No thanks Gem-gem, I couldn't possibly eat a pie. I ate before I got here. Thanks awfully though".
    • Spider In The Bath
    • By Spider In The Bath 3rd Mar 18, 10:10 PM
    • 1,213 Posts
    • 4,309 Thanks
    Spider In The Bath
    Big cooking day today for me.

Using up lots of odd and ends and cooking ahead for next week. I made:

- Red pepper and tomato soup for the freezer

- Two sweet potato pies (one for the freezer and one for tea). We had the one for tea with carrots, leeks and roast potatoes. We will eat the rest tomorrow.

- Leftovers soup (leeks, onion, potato, cannellini beans, lettuce, kale etc). We can have some of this tomorrow and I will make some nice bread to go with it

- Fruit scones

There is also a cauliflower curry type dish in the freezer and some leek, celery and potato soup. Everything in the freezer will be eaten next week so I can defrost the damn thing! This means very little cooking to do next week (which is great as it is looking like it will be a very busy week).
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 4th Mar 18, 11:11 AM
    • 1,233 Posts
    • 27,747 Thanks
    MMF007

"No thanks Gem-gem, I couldn't possibly eat a pie. I ate before I got here. Thanks awfully though".
    Originally posted by Spider In The Bath
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 4th Mar 18, 1:07 PM
    • 15,894 Posts
    • 134,727 Thanks
    JackieO
    Made some melting moment sbiscuits for my DGS this morning and looks like I shall have to put flour on the shopping list as its getting a bit short now ,being indoors has started me baking again
    Running total for four months food only shopping =126.24.Freezer stuff slowly going down at last May totals 31.11 freezer and tinned cupboards are going down nicely
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 4th Mar 18, 4:57 PM
    • 2,824 Posts
    • 8,336 Thanks
    Gem-gem

Originally posted by Spider In The Bath
    I hate it when you type out a word and it changes it without you realising it!!! Hubby and I are not into eating florists - Hannibal and BFG are not our middle names.
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 4th Mar 18, 6:10 PM
    • 640 Posts
    • 7,453 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Hi fellow LFHWers,

Early dinner - Tried a new soup - sweet potato, chilli & red pepper with hm croutons. In addition I used up a stray potato & half a yellow pepper The chilli was from in-laws garden. Met with my seal of approval, but more importantly met with DHs seal of approval I could hear him scraping the colour off the soup bowl

Next few days we will be eating out as we are away but when we get back I will use up all the hm ready meals from the 2nd freezer (in a corner of the living room) - probably 10 days worth at least! Then the defrost & clean can commence. As far as our kitchen freezer is concerned I need to use up all the herbs so will have to be a bit more liberal in my usage

I also need to work out what herbs to grow apart from rosemary (which I absolutely love) & where to plant (small garden) & dont want to clutter up the kitchen windowsill (as I also have a small kitchen )

I also need to plan better so that I make a variety of things that can all go in the oven at the same time. I can feel New lists coming on - with the headings being oven temperatures

MrsSD
    LFHW
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 6th Mar 18, 3:37 PM
    • 1,233 Posts
    • 27,747 Thanks
    MMF007
    I had to nip into town today but took a list and only bought what was on the list. Came home and ate a combo of small leftovers, a sort of meze!? LO HM chick n veg soup (just a small ramekin full), the very end of a piece of blue cheese scrapped across a ryvita, and a left over cooked sausage. Cost pennies but was very tasty. I think having 3 things, even though all were small, made me feel full, too!

Tea tonight will be roast lamb, bought as YS. I got 2 pieces and froze one a few weeks ago so mid-week roast it is!
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • crazytree
    • By crazytree 7th Mar 18, 9:12 AM
    • 43 Posts
    • 1,165 Thanks
    crazytree
    I must be the only person in the world who never sees good yellow sticker bargains! Not fair (sulk)...
    I used a lurking tin of canallini (sp) beans in a minestrone soup for my lunches for the next couple of days. Used up all the unhappy looking peppers in a sausage casserole which is two nights dinners. And even managed to clear the soft oranges from the fruit bowl to make a sponge pudding with the last of the cooking apples that also needed using up. Quite proud of this coz the sponge was delish and lasted us for three nights puddings.
    A yogurt that I thought was going to be wasted went to the hens for their treat. It's amazing how much mess they made with it!
    Tx
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 7th Mar 18, 9:21 AM
    • 15,894 Posts
    • 134,727 Thanks
    JackieO
    Made a chicken curry with half a cooked chicken and some mushrooms Dd had found reduced in MrT's, made 4 decent sized portions for a tad over 2.00 and used up left over half a red pepper and some diced onions from the freezer with a tin of tomatoes from the cupboard.Have enough left over mushrooms to use shortly for an omelette for breakfast.The only thing binned were the bones from the chicken as I had no room spare to save in the freezer to make stock with and I have a good bit of stock already in the freezer in cubes in the ice tray Who need oxo's cubes when I can make them my self (well the chicken ones at least )There were very few bones anyway four 'ready' type chicken curry meals in my freezer for future meals stacked in take away boxes scrounged from the family

JackieO xxx
    • Ginmonster
    • By Ginmonster 7th Mar 18, 9:54 AM
    • 305 Posts
    • 4,038 Thanks
    Ginmonster
    My 5 year old was looking at me as if I'd got a bit confused this morning as I proceeded to eat houmous on toast with coleslaw for breakfast. I pointed out to him that I like it and it needs using up. He wasn't convinced.

Last night I made a curry with everything that needed using up first from the fridge - mostly mushrooms and broccoli -and it was lovely. There's even a portion leftover for the freezer. Today's lunch will be some leftover spaghetti and I'm planning to make a potato and leek bake for tea as we have plenty of both. I'll probably knock a batch of soup up too as I've got half a butternut squash, half a swede and loads of carrots and parsnips. I'll see what looks most in need of using and start there.

If there's room in the freezer I'm going to try making Jack Monroe's peanut butter frozen yoghurt recipe as I got a huge tub of natural yoghurt in when I thought we were having family to stay at the weekend and they couldn't make it. Hubby won't eat yoghurt and the boy will only eat small amounts of it so I need to get creative. The other option is make some naan bread dough and freeze it for future curries.
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 7th Mar 18, 6:54 PM
    • 5,145 Posts
    • 75,665 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Hi all

Made veggie curry the other day as stated. Made about 6 portions and two leeks were chopped and frozen as the curry didn't need 4

I was going to do a banana bread but haven't time so I froze the bananas (added to many already frozen bananas, I can never judge it right when buying them. I'd better cook some up soon)

Made aubergine and pasta bake for meat free Monday. It doesn't freeze that well so I'll have the leftovers for lunch or dinner tomorrow.
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 7th Mar 18, 7:26 PM
    • 6,834 Posts
    • 40,019 Thanks
    determined new ms
    today I made the best pizza EVER just using lo chicken from sunday - served 4 for dinner, a casserole for Monday for 3 & one in the freezer for a working day and 90gms of chicken for another pizza another day. Was enough for oh, me and nipper and los for oh's lunch tomorrow.

I used a portion of hm wild garlic pesto that has been knocking around in the freezer forever, a portion of pizza sauce (batched cooked ages ago) 1/2 a pepper, 90gms mushrooms, 1/2 a pack of ys mozzarella and 40grms chedder. It weas fantastic!

Trying to muster the enthusiasm to bake a banana cake to use the brown bananas I got out of the freezer. it's make it or bin it so I guess I'll have to find the energy so as not to waste them!
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling 2017 3016.55/Roadkill 8.73
    Wombling 2018 145.73/RK 0.04
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,709Posts Today

6,006Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin