Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 13th Jan 18, 10:18 AM
    • 15,883Posts
    • 134,632Thanks
    JackieO
    Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)
    • 13th Jan 18, 10:18 AM
    Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :) 13th Jan 18 at 10:18 AM
    Hi chums I see for some reason unbeknown to us all that the previous thread was deleted .OK well lets no be despondant it was 11 months old and I certainly didn't expect it to run as long as it did,but this will no defeat us in our object to LFHW will it .So come on chums get those ideas rolling again for the new year ahead

JackieO xxx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018
    Running total for four months food only shopping =£126.24.Freezer stuff slowly going down at last May totals £31.11 freezer and tinned cupboards are going down nicely
Page 14
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 14th Feb 18, 1:28 PM
    • 5,123 Posts
    • 38,249 Thanks
    joedenise
    Ma-ar-ella - it would depend on what sort of meals you like. For me it would be spices over herbs as we eat a lot of spicy food. I'd choose cumin, corriander & paprika.

Denise
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 14th Feb 18, 1:58 PM
    • 624 Posts
    • 7,302 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Jackieblack, I guffawed when I read this Good job I was sitting down or I would have fallen over Seriously funny

MrsSD
    Last edited by Mrs Salad Dodger; 14-02-2018 at 1:59 PM. Reason: Typo
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 14th Feb 18, 2:12 PM
    • 624 Posts
    • 7,302 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Thanks JackieO - it was one of my items on the New Year, New Plans, New Hopes thread (which I believe you started) - be more inventive in my cooking. If I can Ďinventí one dish a month I will count that as a success - so far I am on track 2/2!

MrsSD
    • babs 103
    • By babs 103 14th Feb 18, 3:03 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 601 Thanks
    babs 103
    I am sitting here seething, I've had to throw away almost a kilo of minced beef. Brought a few weeks ago and portioned up in the freezer only to find a piece of blue plastic in one lot. Looks like a blue glove or plaster yuck!

I've got a refund plus some extra but it is such a waste and I wouldn't risk using the other packets,

Not for the first time I really wish I had a butcher that I could get to

On the good side my new fridge actually keeps things cold I have lettuce that has a sell by date of 10th Feb whereas before I could only keep it a day or two once opened.

Thanks for letting me vent.
    SPC #11 025
    • Spider In The Bath
    • By Spider In The Bath 14th Feb 18, 3:25 PM
    • 1,208 Posts
    • 4,307 Thanks
    Spider In The Bath
    Does anyone know if almond milk freezes? I've a friend coming round who is lacto-intolerant and she likes almond milk in her coffee. I've looked in the supermarket and it only seems to be available in quite large cartons so it looks as if there will be some left after her visit.
    Originally posted by THIRZAH
    Hi, might be a bit late to answer your question from a few days ago. I have just looked at the cartons in the fridge / cupboard and it says do not freeze. This is on both unsweetened and sweetened almond milk.

However, the choc soya milk carton (I know! but it is a treat) does not say this so maybe soya milk is OK to freeze instead.
    • THIRZAH
    • By THIRZAH 14th Feb 18, 4:39 PM
    • 1,360 Posts
    • 6,769 Thanks
    THIRZAH
    I spotted that on the carton too but have managed to use up most of the milk in overnight oats. It says to use within five days of opening. I did try it in my coffee but didn't like it-I bought the unsweetened roasted almond milk but might try a different one next time.
    • Spider In The Bath
    • By Spider In The Bath 14th Feb 18, 6:50 PM
    • 1,208 Posts
    • 4,307 Thanks
    Spider In The Bath
    I spotted that on the carton too but have managed to use up most of the milk in overnight oats. It says to use within five days of opening. I did try it in my coffee but didn't like it-I bought the unsweetened roasted almond milk but might try a different one next time.
    In case it helps:

I prefer the unsweetened to the sweetened version. The sweetened has a stronger taste and seems sticky somehow (but without actually being sticky).

Whilst I like soya choc milk, I did not like the plain one at all.

Coconut milk (the watery kind in the carton) is nice, but it can separate out and having floaty bits in your tea is not nice. Even if you shake the carton it is still got bits in it.

However, all three of those above are great for cooking. I make bread with them, white sauces etc. which can be a good way of using things up.
    • THIRZAH
    • By THIRZAH 14th Feb 18, 10:20 PM
    • 1,360 Posts
    • 6,769 Thanks
    THIRZAH
    Thank you for that.I was reluctant to try soya milk as somebody told me that it is an aquired taste and I knew my friend did like almond milk.Bits of coconut floating in tea would be rather odd. One of my DDs said that she has had hot chocolate made with coconut milk and she liked it.

Do you know if the coconut milk that you buy in cartons the same as the tinned stuff that is used in a lot of Asian recipes?
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 14th Feb 18, 10:51 PM
    • 5,138 Posts
    • 75,598 Thanks
    VJsmum
    That'll have made some room!

(You must have a massive freezer... there's no way I could fit my brother in mine )
    Originally posted by jackieblack

Only just seen this..... Must read over my posts...

The ever promised lentil bake still hasn't happened. No lentils....
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 15th Feb 18, 1:20 AM
    • 624 Posts
    • 7,302 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Hi all,
    It was all very well being inventive last night but I could have just got my DH to make pancakes Oh well, missed out again! We seem to forget pancakes six years out of seven

Tonight, I was going to be lazy & make cheesey beans on toast but fortunately I decided to stick to the menu plan - pork chops, leek & potato mash (used all my potatoes, last leek & last of the buttermilk) + roasted vegetables (last of the carrots & parsnips) - much, much tastier than cheesey beans.

Unfortunately the houmous my DH bought & forgot was in the fridge has had to be binned as it is green

Finally made the peperonata & will make the lasagne tomorrow - will freeze a double portion of each.

By the way, has anyone got a good recipe for a green lentils soup or a pearl barley soup? My DH has bought a bag of each & I think he is waiting

LFHW

MrsSD
    • Spider In The Bath
    • By Spider In The Bath 15th Feb 18, 7:36 AM
    • 1,208 Posts
    • 4,307 Thanks
    Spider In The Bath
    Thank you for that.I was reluctant to try soya milk as somebody told me that it is an aquired taste and I knew my friend did like almond milk.Bits of coconut floating in tea would be rather odd. One of my DDs said that she has had hot chocolate made with coconut milk and she liked it.

Do you know if the coconut milk that you buy in cartons the same as the tinned stuff that is used in a lot of Asian recipes?
    The coconut milk is really nice. I just cannot get it to work with tea.

It is a lot thinner than 'Asian style' coconut milk. I have oats for breakfast made with water. I use desiccated coconut as well and when I add the water it make the oats 'milky' due to the coconut. The coconut milk is more like this.

The other coconut milk (used in Asian recipes) is much thicker with a higher fat content (180 cal per 100ml as opposed to 20 cal per 100ml). It is more like coconut cream (which I sometimes buy).
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 15th Feb 18, 8:03 AM
    • 15,883 Posts
    • 134,632 Thanks
    JackieO
    Stayed to dinner at DDs last night so last nights meal from the freezer will do for tonight its a lasagne which I dug out yesterday so no cooking for me tonight just a quick whizz in the m'wave
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018
    Running total for four months food only shopping =£126.24.Freezer stuff slowly going down at last May totals £31.11 freezer and tinned cupboards are going down nicely
    • phizzimum
    • By phizzimum 15th Feb 18, 8:57 AM
    • 1,697 Posts
    • 9,246 Thanks
    phizzimum
    Mariella, if I could only have one spice in my cupboard I would have garam masala

I use it in chilli, curry, even in carrot cake

Itís actually a blend of spices (canít remember which ones) so youíre getting a mini spice cupboard in one jar.
    weaving through the chaos...
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 15th Feb 18, 9:01 AM
    • 3,617 Posts
    • 5,400 Thanks
    bouicca21
    I wouldn't make a pearl barley soup as such but it's delish added to any kind of chicken soup.
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 15th Feb 18, 9:27 AM
    • 5,138 Posts
    • 75,598 Thanks
    VJsmum

Unfortunately the houmous my DH bought & forgot was in the fridge has had to be binned as it is green

MrsSD
    Originally posted by Mrs Salad Dodger
    I feel your pain, I had to bin rice that DD had bought and left in the fridge, OMG I think it was the most revolting thing Ive had to do for a long while. The smell was overpowering, I had to cover my nose and mouth. I can see now why it causes so much food poisoning..

I use green lentils in lentil shepherds pie and Jack Monroe has a lovely looking lentil mushroom and ale pie on her website..
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • phizzimum
    • By phizzimum 15th Feb 18, 3:49 PM
    • 1,697 Posts
    • 9,246 Thanks
    phizzimum
    can anyone give me some ideas to use up three quite large turnips?

Not something I would usually buy but I got a veg box delivered this week.

The only time I've cooked them I've mashed them but one of my daughters really dislikes mash.
    • klbooth
    • By klbooth 15th Feb 18, 5:00 PM
    • 205 Posts
    • 767 Thanks
    klbooth
    I like raw turnip
    1P Challenge #13 £237.76/£667.95;£2 Club #30 £40;50p Club #8 £20;20p Club #100 £23.40;SPC #39 £?;VSPC #15 £380.45;1 Debt Vs 100 Days #1 £3964/£3964 (100%); PAYDOBX 2018 #118 £7912/£10014 (79%);GC Jan £483.58/£450; Feb £390.32/£430; Mar £260.41/£410; Apr £396.17/£410; May £271.98/£400
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 15th Feb 18, 6:14 PM
    • 342 Posts
    • 6,174 Thanks
    YorksLass
    For dinner today we're having beef, onion & mushroom casserole. There will probably be some leftover for another day; if it's a small amount I can pad it out with extra veg and Yorkies or dumplings.
    Originally posted by YorksLass
    Well, there wasn't any left after all but at least there was no waste!

Trying to use stuff up but have a confession to make- i don't have any herbs or spices at all in my cupboard. My question is what do people consider essential herbs and spices like if you had to pick say top 3 most used?
    Originally posted by ma-ri-ella
    Wow, that's a tough one. You might as well ask me which is my favourite child! I think for me it would have to be basil or oregano, nutmeg or cinnamon and chilli powder or flakes.

can anyone give me some ideas to use up three quite large turnips?

Not something I would usually buy but I got a veg box delivered this week.

The only time I've cooked them I've mashed them but one of my daughters really dislikes mash.
    Originally posted by phizzimum
    No, I'm not keen on them mashed either - a bit watery for my liking. They should keep (unwashed) in the fridge for 1 - 2 weeks but you could freeze them (blanch first) for use later in soups or casseroles. I like them thinly sliced or grated in hm pasties and find they give the filling a nice peppery taste. DH is another one who likes them raw.

As there wasn't any casserole left for Monday, I had to amend the meal planner and after a rootle in the freezer, settled on prawn, rice & lemongrass fishcakes (bought ys) with hm potato wedges and sliced tomato. The fishcakes were quite nice but I don't think I'd buy them again.

Tuesday was Cornish pasties (not hm), mash & spring greens. Used LO gravy from the freezer.

Last night we had hm moussaka (bought ys and minus the aubergine as we don't like that but subbed with courgette instead) and there was enough of the lamb mince base to freeze for another day.

Tonight we're having chicken stir fry in a sweet & sour sauce with noodles. That will take care of two chicken thighs from the freezer, plus bits & bobs from the fridge (half a large carrot, half a red pepper, some spring onions and mushrooms). And another packet sauce mix.

Yesterday I made a batch of mincemeat flapjacks but now have half a jar of mincemeat left (sigh) so no doubt will have to make mince pies at some stage. Or I could mix it with some chopped apple and use it for a crumble instead.

Commiserations to those of you who've had to bin stuff - it really does make you feel bad, doesn't it?

Mrs SD - I'm not sure about a soup with pearl barley as the main ingredient but agree with bouicca21 it's a good addition to chicken soup. Or maybe a beef broth.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!
    May £130.30/£175.00 NSDs144/35 (Jan-Apr £66.88 under budget)

• phizzimum
    • By phizzimum 15th Feb 18, 6:15 PM
    • 1,697 Posts
    • 9,246 Thanks
    phizzimum
    really klbooth? as part of a salad? would never think of that!
    • phizzimum
    • By phizzimum 15th Feb 18, 6:18 PM
    • 1,697 Posts
    • 9,246 Thanks
    phizzimum
    I'm glad the turnips will last a few weeks Yorkslass... I think I'll be sneaking them into things gradually.

are they similar to a radish when eaten raw? I guess they're the same family now I come to think of it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

413Posts Today

4,354Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin