Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 13th Jan 18, 10:18 AM
    • 15,991Posts
    • 135,708Thanks
    JackieO
    Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)
    • 13th Jan 18, 10:18 AM
    Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :) 13th Jan 18 at 10:18 AM
    Hi chums I see for some reason unbeknown to us all that the previous thread was deleted .OK well lets no be despondant it was 11 months old and I certainly didn't expect it to run as long as it did,but this will no defeat us in our object to LFHW will it .So come on chums get those ideas rolling again for the new year ahead

JackieO xxx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018
    Running total for four months food only shopping =126.24.Freezer stuff slowly going down at last May totals 31.11 June spends so far 18.90, brought a few odds and ends home from my holiday and using those up first.
Page 12
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 6th Feb 18, 2:12 PM
    • 5,177 Posts
    • 76,200 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Another one making soup today - I had a huuuuge pot of chicken stock in the freezer and several bags of squashes and carrots so I am making a spicy lentil, carrot, squash and coriander soup. Had a bag of either carrot or salmon in the freezer - it was hard to tell which - but luckily it is carrot so that has also gone in.

it has used up quite a lot of odds and s0ds and will make half a dozen or so pots of soup...

tonights dinner is LO roast lamb from sunday - i will use up some sprouts with it. DD is having a cauli cheese pie with some remaining broccoli.
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • purpleybat
    • By purpleybat 6th Feb 18, 3:26 PM
    • 346 Posts
    • 2,945 Thanks
    purpleybat
    I use 1pt Milk Bottles to store soup in the freeze. Also good for talking soup to Work
    Originally posted by castleton

i do this too, also use 2pt bottles if I have enough to last a couple of days.
    my microwavable BFG mug lives in my locker ready
    gc 2017 1841.27.
    2018 jan 124.69/130 feb 157.97/150 mar 221.33/200 apr 223.04/250
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 7th Feb 18, 1:13 AM
    • 750 Posts
    • 8,643 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Hi everyone,

Lunch today was ys seeded bread - toasted with a scraping of Berto... & a small tin of mackerel fillets in tomato sauce (have been in the larder for at least a year but surprisingly were NOT ood!) I cannot believe how something sooo simple was so delicious - it!!!8217;s true what they say !!!8220;less is more!!!8221;

See you later alligators

MrsSD
    Originally posted by Mrs Salad Dodger
    I didn!!!8217;t make the peperonata. We had pan-fried mackerel fillets from the freezer, mashed potato used double cream instead of milk & finished a bag of mixed vegetables from the freezer. A nice simple meal - !!!8220;not faffed about with!!!8221; as my DSis would say (although she wouldn!!!8217;t have eaten it as she doesn!!!8217;t like fish)
    Still on course for full roast beef dinner on Wednesday & LOs on Thursday. Need to sort something for lunch both days & need to work out a new menu plan from Friday!

LFHW

MrsSD
    Last edited by Mrs Salad Dodger; 08-02-2018 at 4:30 AM. Reason: Typo
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 7th Feb 18, 7:49 AM
    • 5,177 Posts
    • 76,200 Thanks
    VJsmum
    today's use it up meal is going to be Nigella's sweet potato macaroni cheese. I bought a sweet potato the other day to put in my veggie stew but forgot to put it in and i sorted out the cupboard where DD had stored the stuff she brought back from uni, some of which had gone out of date. She had a boxed macaroni cheese - the cheese being in a sachet, so I am (not very) sorry to say I have binned the cheese but will use up the macaroni in a fresh cheese sauce.

Binning the cheese doesn't count as it isn't proper food

we did bin some other stuff in there - slim pasta (revolting stuff)
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 7th Feb 18, 8:56 AM
    • 421 Posts
    • 5,855 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    Wondered if you lovely people can help, three questions ?

Can I freezer rice pudding (basic rice milk and sugar)

Can I freezer coconut rice pudding (rice, coconut milk, coconut and sugar)

If I make rice pud using evaporated milk do I make the tin of milk up to one pint with water?

Thank you
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 7th Feb 18, 9:02 AM
    • 11,104 Posts
    • 29,663 Thanks
    suki1964
    I've been lurking on this thread for a while, last week I had to get a new fridge freezer as the door broke after 17 years. Since then I've realised how out the thermometer was and how much food I threw away. When I opened a pack of lettuce for example, it used to last 2 days max but I've had an open pack in the salad drawer for 5 days and it's still as good as new.

I am delurking (is that even a word?) to say that I have now listed everything in the freezer and all my cupboards and will work my way through them. I have also now learnt (via this thread) that I had been packing foods incorrectly in the freezer so will now correct that too. I am looking forward to not wasting food or money any more and tasting the different concoctions I find on here, so hopefully will have something different from shepherds pie and chicken casserole all the time.

Thank you all x
    Originally posted by babs 103
    New fridges and freezers are amazing

Mine has a meat locker at the top of the fridge and believe me when I say fresh meat lasts in there for up to two weeks. It kind of keeps it at a soft frozen state

I also have a vegetable drawer and a soft veg/fruit drawer. Last week I finally used a butternut squash I had put in there in November, only the stem was showing signs of decay. I'm always buying the special offer veg in Lidl and might not use it that week or even the following, all lasts so much longer then in my old fridge
    if you lend someone 20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 7th Feb 18, 9:28 AM
    • 62,818 Posts
    • 368,065 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Just before Xmas I bought two large parsnips, the 19p/pack ones on offer at budget supermarkets. I cooked one for Xmas dinner.... roll on four weeks and I discovered I still had the second one (buried behind the THREE bags of 29p/2.5Kg spuds I'd also bought at Xmas; spud overload due to them being cheap and getting carried away).

First week of December L1dl had celery at 39p/head and I needed 2 stalks for my Xmas nut roast, so I bought that, used 2 stalks and the rest languished.

Yesterday I finally cooked that 2nd parsnip, most of the remaining celery and a few more of those Xmas spuds.

I made a stew in the SC with those and a few other things.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 7th Feb 18, 9:30 AM
    • 15,991 Posts
    • 135,708 Thanks
    JackieO
    Hi chums well I looked into Dobbies but the big gammons were gone so I saved myself from splashing out a tenner

Re the rice puddings I have never frozen one as I like them too much and they never last long enough to freeze I use a large tin of evaporated milk and a tin and a half of water to make it up and then top the made up evaporated milk up with ordinary milk to two pints.

This I use to make a very large rice pud (2pinta) in the SC, or a one pint rice pud and one pint of custard. Both of which happily sit in my fridge to be used up over a few days for desserts.

The small size tin of evaporated milk again I use a tin and a half of water and top up to a pint with ordinary milk.

By the way I wonder why Aldi's don't sell custard powder ,probably because they sell custard in a tin (revolting stuff to me ) I much prefer to make it up myself as I am not keen on sugar so leave it out, and replace with a bit of runny honey for sweetness when making custard.

I wrap celery or sweetheart cabbage in foil, and leave in my salad drawer and it will last for a couple of weeks in there.

If you haven't get a lettuce keeper ( a lovely lady on here sent me her one as my one fell apart ), then wrap in foil, and it will keep lettuce quite well.Celery will keep fresh for several weeks this way.

By the way I never use a metal knife for cutting chunks off an iceberg lettuce as the metal oxidises the lettuce, and makes the cut edges go brown ,either use a plastic knife or just tear a chunk off the main lettuce with your hands.

I remember my late Mum dotting the cut end bits of the stalks of tomatoes and apples to stop them from going soft too soon with a dab of candle wax.No fridges or freezer back in the 1940s

Have a good day chums

JackieO xx
    Running total for four months food only shopping =126.24.Freezer stuff slowly going down at last May totals 31.11 June spends so far 18.90, brought a few odds and ends home from my holiday and using those up first.
    • Jaymie kate
    • By Jaymie kate 7th Feb 18, 10:31 AM
    • 65 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    Jaymie kate
    I would also like to join! I definitely love food and hate the idea of wasting anything that can be consumed. Would love to hear ideas about saving on food and money as I know there are ways very effective for many.
    • THIRZAH
    • By THIRZAH 7th Feb 18, 11:10 AM
    • 1,361 Posts
    • 6,771 Thanks
    THIRZAH
    DD sometimes gets a big gammon joint for a tenner from her local branch of Brogdale butchers - might be worth trying in the future if you have one near you JackieO
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 7th Feb 18, 11:25 AM
    • 15,991 Posts
    • 135,708 Thanks
    JackieO
    DD sometimes gets a big gammon joint for a tenner from her local branch of Brogdale butchers - might be worth trying in the future if you have one near you JackieO
    Originally posted by THIRZAH
    Thanks Thirzah There is a branch not too far from me and Iwill look into seeing what they have
    • Ginmonster
    • By Ginmonster 7th Feb 18, 3:36 PM
    • 313 Posts
    • 4,137 Thanks
    Ginmonster
    I made wrinkly veg soup today as well. Mine has squash, parsnip, celery, celeriac and half a can of cider leftover from a casserole I made yesterday in it. Yum!
    I'll start eating the soup tomorrow as tonight's task will be to eat up a bit of leftover coleslaw, some beetroot humus and a chapati that need to be disposed of. That kind of makes a meal I reckon.
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 7th Feb 18, 3:36 PM
    • 421 Posts
    • 5,855 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    Thank you Jackie

If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 8th Feb 18, 10:19 AM
    • 15,991 Posts
    • 135,708 Thanks
    JackieO
    just going to make some melting moments biscuits this morning for DGD Holly as she is coming with her b/f tonight for a natter, and she loves HM biscuits. No shopping to get this week as I have more than enough to keep me going until probably the end of next week. I have a couple of birthday meal vouchers to use up this month so two of my evening meals will be in local pub chains Every little helps
    • Ginmonster
    • By Ginmonster 8th Feb 18, 3:00 PM
    • 313 Posts
    • 4,137 Thanks
    Ginmonster
    I found an apple cake recipe on thrifty Lesley's site which I decided to use today as I have a load of wrinkly apples that need using. Unfortunately I didn't read through the method before starting it as I discovered half way through there are no instructions on what temp to bake it at or for how long. I'm winging it which is probably a bad idea as I'm not a genius baker ( I'm guessing that's fairly obvious given that I've just said I didn't read the recipe properly!). How bad can it be?

Since I've been off work I've been more open-minded about what constitutes breakfast. I used to eat porridge at my desk every day. Now I'm at home I've been using up anything that needs eating. So this week I've had toasted fruity tea bread with peanut butter, veggie haggis on toast and chapati with beetroot humus, kimchi and coleslaw (surprisingly good!). I've only tried kimchi recently and I really like it so I'm going to hunt out how to make it. Preserving seems like a useful skill to learn.
    • SarahC74
    • By SarahC74 8th Feb 18, 4:45 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    SarahC74
    Hi all, I'd love to join please! I'm on a frugal push this year and also hate wasting food so I'm sure the ideas will come in really handy.

One question, before going away at Christmas I popped an almost full, huge bag of kale in the freezer as I didn't want it to go off. Forgot to wash it or anything! Does anyone have any suggestions as to what they'd use it in? It keeps looking at me every time I open the freezer!
    Frugal living challenge:
    Overpay mortgage by 6,000 in 2018 594/6,000
    Spend less than 200pm on groceries 1/12 months complete
    NSD February: 5/28 so far!
    • purpleybat
    • By purpleybat 8th Feb 18, 5:24 PM
    • 346 Posts
    • 2,945 Thanks
    purpleybat
    Wondered if you lovely people can help, three questions ?

Can I freezer rice pudding (basic rice milk and sugar)

Can I freezer coconut rice pudding (rice, coconut milk, coconut and sugar)

If I make rice pud using evaporated milk do I make the tin of milk up to one pint with water?

Thank you
    Originally posted by silver-oldie

I find any type of rice pudding freezes well, tho you may need to add a little extra milk when heating.

on the whole I use evaporated milk making rice pudding, I boil it briefly in plain water, discard that and add evaporated milk and top up with normal semi-skimmed if needed. it's hard to say without seeing the amount you're making, my brain doesn't compute weights of rice, I go by eye

hope this helps and isn't too late
    gc 2017 1841.27.
    • babs 103
    • By babs 103 8th Feb 18, 7:12 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 618 Thanks
    babs 103
    Does anyone know if I can safely freeze HM Lamb Biryani?

I have done my usual and made enough for 4 when there is only 2 of us now, It's been 6 years since I had to cook for 4 but old habits die hard!
    Quot Libros, Quam Breve Tempus

SPC #11 025
    • purpleybat
    • By purpleybat 9th Feb 18, 8:54 AM
    • 346 Posts
    • 2,945 Thanks
    purpleybat
    Does anyone know if I can safely freeze HM Lamb Biryani?

I have done my usual and made enough for 4 when there is only 2 of us now, It's been 6 years since I had to cook for 4 but old habits die hard!
    Originally posted by babs 103

I've frozen it before, I freeze most things.
    it needs to be cooled quickly and frozen straight away (I may be too late), defrost in the fridge and make sure it's reheated til piping hot. the rice may go a little soggy but it'll be edible.
    oddly enough I had leftover biryani for brekkie yesterday.
    gc 2017 1841.27.
    • babs 103
    • By babs 103 9th Feb 18, 9:13 AM
    • 61 Posts
    • 618 Thanks
    babs 103
    Thanks purpleybat. I put it in the fridge last night and although it's nice and cold in there cos it's new I don't think I'll risk freezing it now just in case, but thanks.
    Quot Libros, Quam Breve Tempus

SPC #11 025
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,093Posts Today

5,606Users online

Martin's Twitter