Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    • 3,765Posts
    • 24,261Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Three)
    • 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    Cooking for one (Mark Three) 13th Jan 18 at 8:48 AM
    Welcome to Cooking one (Mark Three), time to get a shiny new thread up and running. The link to "Cooking for one (Mark Two)" can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73708876&posted=1#post73708876

Cooking For One
    13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?
    Last edited by caronc; 13-01-2018 at 8:51 AM.
    GC - Feb18 68/120, Mar 104/150, Apr 164/200, May 54/120
    GC YTD 2018- 445/710
Page 87
    • gt568
    • By gt568 14th Mar 18, 7:49 PM
    • 1,652 Posts
    • 2,747 Thanks
    gt568
    Just had 3 eggy crumpets. Awesome.
    Down with the signature fascists!!
    • caronc
    • By caronc 14th Mar 18, 8:44 PM
    • 3,765 Posts
    • 24,261 Thanks
    caronc
    I love raspberries probably my favourite berry, mind you home grown do need a bit of a soak in slightly salted water to get rid of any creepy crawlies

Crumpets gt568 - staple of the CFO world it seems
    GC YTD 2018- 445/710
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 15th Mar 18, 6:14 AM
    • 62,433 Posts
    • 365,568 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Yesterday all I ate was two bread rolls with marg.

I think that sometimes/quite often the act of prep/cooking food just "puts me off food". Yesterday I'd peeled/cooked 3 large parsnips and boxed them up in the fridge .... and simply didn't fancy any more cooking/prep and no eating. That's probably why I nibble and graze.
    • wort
    • By wort 15th Mar 18, 7:49 AM
    • 763 Posts
    • 10,142 Thanks
    wort
    PN when dgson was a baby my dd2 bought blue berries for him, and while she was watching him eat them she noticed something wriggling ,what she first thought was a bit of stalk was some creepy crawly! ! It put me off for years.
    Also had a caterpillar in a homegrown cauli cooked on my plate as a kid!!! Strangely I still love cauli.!

I've had 2 fruit toast and after work I'm going to my sister's, so I'm taking the last of my gf cuppa soup, for lunch. Sadly these now improved ones contain gluten and I'm struggling to find any others!!
    I'm taking a pack of smoky bacon crisp too but may not eat them ,if she's bought any gfree biscuits!!!
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 15th Mar 18, 7:55 AM
    • 11,957 Posts
    • 74,734 Thanks
    kittie
    I`ll be having defrosted berries and stewed apple with yogurt later but have planned food for the rest of the day, had to buy some fresh veggies but I bought nice stuff

A greek salad, partly greek with a small amount of feta and I found 2 x 1/4 portions of AnC nut roast in the freezer, will have one of those with the salad. Last meal will be a stir fry as I have spinach, garlic, shallot, celery and carrot. I`ll just get out one of my thin pieces of raw turkey

As soon as my pinto beans are delivered then I will make a root and pinto stew in my pressure cooker, will be good in the fridge for three days

I am rapidly making room in the freezer, for the fish tomorrow. I think I will prep two portions of cod with a pesto topping for the freezer, that will rescue the pesto, opened yesterday

Some more going on the compost today, a 1/4 of a cabbage, LO caulie and 4 small portions of ratatouille, I know it could be made into soup but I can`t stomach it in any which way now and via compost, it gets to live again
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 15th Mar 18, 8:43 AM
    • 62,433 Posts
    • 365,568 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    ... caterpillar..!
    Originally posted by wort
    Since I posted, I think it wasn't a maggot, I think I just didn't have the right word for what I saw .... it was a tiny green wriggly thing, so maybe a caterpillar baby...

Anyway, it was gross and I never want to see one again, which makes a lot of fruit "iffy"

My parents grew fruit/veg in the garden and when mum picked a cauli it'd be cut up and dropped into a bowl of salted water and left .... for the caterpillars to be killed so they could float to the top and be picked out .... it's a wonder I eat cauli

As I had bread defrosted, I had that slice of toast/jam for breakfast this morning. Later today I'll be visiting the "shop where they sell my favourite biscuits" .... not FOR biscuits, but they'll be in there.... so I expect chocolate biscuits to be purchased as it's a shop I'm only in 6x a year .... so I will feel compelled to buy some.
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 15-03-2018 at 8:45 AM.
    • pineapple
    • By pineapple 15th Mar 18, 8:43 AM
    • 6,198 Posts
    • 29,744 Thanks
    pineapple
    So when are you opening your b&b/pop up restaurant kittie? I'm booking myself a place!
    • kittie
    • By kittie 15th Mar 18, 8:58 AM
    • 11,957 Posts
    • 74,734 Thanks
    kittie
    haha pineapple, I am back to normal, I hope. I think the cba thingie is a result of winter hibernation

I don`t mind crawlies tbh, always wash veggies anyway and in veggie wash if it has lots of eg white fly or slug poo. Crawlies means less pesticides in the food. I have never seen crawlies in raspberries but I don`t look, anyway freezing would kill them

I am sitting here waiting to feel less full, only had a small breakfast but thought I would prep a veg juice for me. I made it from kale, carrot, celery, LO bit of cabbage, slice of beetroot root, small bit of ginger and 2 frozen lemon slices minus skin. That is a might healthy veg boost and whatever I eat today, I have had my 5 already. Looks as though I will be well over that number later. I know some veg sound gross in a juice but the lemon and beetroot lifts it and it was lovely, plus easy to drink

Must change in a mo, first need to extract that turkey from the freezer. Was hoping to go on a ride but it looks awfully soggy and the sky is still more grey than blue. Here`s hoping, we`ll see what 11 am brings
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 15th Mar 18, 9:14 AM
    • 15,592 Posts
    • 43,316 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Me - I'm inviting myself to caron's restaurant if she ever starts one up (I'm sure she could do a vegetarian option or two for me).

Agh! that means heading "oop North" and it's colder up there...

One of these days I'll head in a north-wards direction again - to visit Chester I reckon. Not been there - but should think I'd like it.

Brighton on the hit-list further down south. Now there's a surprise - meaning "Yes - I do like Totnes and Glastonbury"...

Cambridge - it's one of the cities that has a river in with punts on - so might be one I've dreamed of sometimes a while back. Yep...that's right - I have gone to several places I'd never been to before and recognised them and had some idea how to find my way round them....

Food - still a bit cba at the moment. Will get back to it - meanwhile it's grabbing whatever bits-and-pieces are nearer to hand.
    Like Frankie said - I did it my way.
    It's MY life......
    • pineapple
    • By pineapple 15th Mar 18, 10:18 AM
    • 6,198 Posts
    • 29,744 Thanks
    pineapple
    but thought I would prep a veg juice for me. I made it from kale, carrot, celery, LO bit of cabbage, slice of beetroot root, small bit of ginger and 2 frozen lemon slices minus skin. That is a might healthy veg boost and whatever I eat today, I have had my 5 already. Looks as though I will be well over that number later. I know some veg sound gross in a juice but the lemon and beetroot lifts it and it was lovely, plus easy to drink
    Originally posted by kittie
    I have a Nutribullet (can I mention brand names on here?) which really should get out more. You get all the fibre and not just the juice. Note to self - to bring it out of hibernation this weekend..
    • caronc
    • By caronc 15th Mar 18, 11:20 AM
    • 3,765 Posts
    • 24,261 Thanks
    caronc
    Good morning everyone,
    Definitely sounds as though you've got your oomph back kittie
    PN -
    two rolls and marge are not enough to keep even a small person going......I'd be chewing my own foot if that was all I had eaten
    MTSTM - I reckon you'd get on just fine "oop North" not so different from West Wales. Just pack your wellies, fleece and midge spray

It's definitely back to winter here -cold, wet and grey. Thankfully I don't need to go anywhere, in fact need to stay in as I'm supposed to be getting a new SMART meter fitted. Though I wouldn't be surprised if they rescheduled as it's so wet and one of my meters is outside!

I'm glad I made the effort and put together the pie last night as it was so tasty. The filling made enough for two pies so there is one for the freezer for another day. I've some pastry LO so if I CBA might knock up another to use up some of the still lurking post-Christmas cheese mountain or I might make a quiche. Either way I think that will be one for tomorrow's "to do" list.

The stormy weather is still playing havoc with my balance so I'm going for easy meal options today. I've defrosted a small portion of HM pate and will have that on a roll with some HM soup from the freezer. Tonight it's venison sausage & lentil stew again from the freezer so just need to cook some extra veg to go with that.

I'm starting to plan my Easter menu, there will be 11 or 12 of us and I usually do a "sit down" buffet-type meal. The kids will help with the prep, my sister will make some of the salads and my friends usually cover dessert. It usually turns into a fairly chaotic but really enjoyable day. A good few years ago the weather was lovely and we all ended up spending most of the day outside. It was fair to say some wine had been consumed and we all ended up (including the neighbours) having an impromptu "sports day" then dancing to ABBA and various other cheesy 70s tunes until well into the evening. I'd like to say we are all a bit more sensible these days but you never know....
    GC YTD 2018- 445/710
    • kittie
    • By kittie 15th Mar 18, 12:01 PM
    • 11,957 Posts
    • 74,734 Thanks
    kittie
    I have a Nutribullet (can I mention brand names on here?) which really should get out more. You get all the fibre and not just the juice. Note to self - to bring it out of hibernation this weekend..
    Originally posted by pineapple
    Blimey too much fibre plays havoc with human innards, hence me using the vertical slow juicer which leaves just the right amount in the juice. I have a tribest personal blender and use that for cold summer drinks like yogurt and berries. If I had to use the PB then I would use a sieve

Cycle ride done and I am enjoying a real coffee, looking forward to my prepared colourful salad, which I will be seasoning with cider acid vinegar. I found my oxo salad spinner, so have washed and spun 2 small red cos lettuces. I do like it when food is ready to grab

There was a lot of water on the lanes, some had run right over the lanes, leaving detrius and some yappy jack russel tried to bite my ankle, again. Next time I will be ready with my boots on, he caught hold of my trousers last time. Could have caused an accident
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 15th Mar 18, 12:09 PM
    • 62,433 Posts
    • 365,568 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    With today's big bills sitting in front of me .... I'm going to buy some cheap, cheerful and cheery sausage rolls.... so 2 sausage rolls for lunch.

My CT bill, after 25% off, is still more than double my food bill, probably closer to 3x my food bill! For a little 2-up-2-down.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 15th Mar 18, 12:15 PM
    • 3,765 Posts
    • 24,261 Thanks
    caronc
    kittie re the yappy dog, sounds as though it's the owner that needs a swift boot.....

and PN our council tax bills aren't out yet but no doubt will drop on the mat fairly soon.
    GC YTD 2018- 445/710
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 15th Mar 18, 12:19 PM
    • 62,433 Posts
    • 365,568 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    ... our council tax bills aren't out yet but no doubt will drop on the mat fairly soon...
    Originally posted by caronc
    I'd checked the post about an hour ago, nothing.... then I thought I saw the postman so checked again .... and there it was. Right before I drop the car off at the garage for the annual pricey afternoon's fun.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 15th Mar 18, 12:35 PM
    • 3,765 Posts
    • 24,261 Thanks
    caronc
    I'd checked the post about an hour ago, nothing.... then I thought I saw the postman so checked again .... and there it was. Right before I drop the car off at the garage for the annual pricey afternoon's fun.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    At least it gets the spends over with.......
    GC YTD 2018- 445/710
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 15th Mar 18, 1:33 PM
    • 62,433 Posts
    • 365,568 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I'd made a decision the other week to buy some frozen chicken breasts that'd been pointed out/recommended to me..... and so today I bought them. I thought I'd make fajitas mix ... which might be served with wraps, or rice, or chips (not decided).

I might make that tomorrow, or the next day.

Thing is, when you try anything new, there are two things: Does this taste how it's supposed to? Is this good?

You might like that one, or not, but how "like buying one" does it taste?

I've never had fajitas (never needed to) .... so I figure "it should just be a form of spicy sauce" .... but I'll never know if it's "good", I'll only know if I like the taste, or not.

• caronc
    • By caronc 15th Mar 18, 1:50 PM
    • 3,765 Posts
    • 24,261 Thanks
    caronc
    As you like chilli, I can't see why you wouldn't like fajitas PN.

My council tax bill has just arrived......
    GC YTD 2018- 445/710
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 15th Mar 18, 1:58 PM
    • 62,433 Posts
    • 365,568 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    As you like chilli, I can't see why you wouldn't like fajitas PN.
    Originally posted by caronc
    I figure it's all the same stuff ..... just masquerading under a variety of names.

I googled it and it appears that to be a fajita it has to specifically be in a taco or a wrap, which I'll probably not use .... therefore I just expect it to be "a little bit spicy", but worth a taste.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 15th Mar 18, 2:00 PM
    • 15,592 Posts
    • 43,316 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Doesnt make a lot of odds re when my CT bill turns up - as I pay it in equal installments spread over all 12 months of the year. The big one-offs bill-wise for me are the insurance bill (which is yearly - courtesy of being dearer if paid in installments), the tv licence bill (yearly), the annual gas service (which, funnily enough, reminds me that I was standing waiting bus yesterday and counting ratio of marked to unmarked vans going past me - there's a lot more unmarked ones). No wonder the scammers that are ringing up round here caught out a lot of people in Aberystwyth - a lot of people believed they really were HMRC...

Lunch today - still cba. So avocado and tomato toast, followed by fruit. Dinner - more tomatoes - and I'm not sure what with yet (leftover stewed tomatoes from the freebie ones I scored).

The homemade cake I was given safely given away for t'other voluntary workers - and willpower was strong enough not to have so much as one slice myself..
    Like Frankie said - I did it my way.
    It's MY life......
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

420Posts Today

4,985Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin