Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    • 3,765Posts
    • 24,261Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Three)
    • 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    Cooking for one (Mark Three) 13th Jan 18 at 8:48 AM
    Welcome to Cooking one (Mark Three), time to get a shiny new thread up and running. The link to "Cooking for one (Mark Two)" can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73708876&posted=1#post73708876

Cooking For One
    13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?
    Last edited by caronc; 13-01-2018 at 8:51 AM.
    GC - Feb18 68/120, Mar 104/150, Apr 164/200, May 54/120
    GC YTD 2018- 445/710
Page 86
    • pineapple
    • By pineapple 14th Mar 18, 11:42 AM
    • 6,198 Posts
    • 29,744 Thanks
    pineapple
    Well I've blown the budget and I blame you lot. Both the hake and the sea bass were expensive this week so he tried to flog me a nice piece of haddock, but I am not so keen on haddock for some reason. So I ended up with some hake - and just to prove I am not boring and predictable, I also got a small piece of bream - which I've never tried before. Unfortunately that was the same price per kilo as the hake.
    The purse is now somewhat lighter. I would sell my body except that would only get me a couple of fish sticks.
    Last edited by pineapple; 14-03-2018 at 11:49 AM.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 14th Mar 18, 12:51 PM
    • 62,433 Posts
    • 365,565 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Well I've blown the budget and I blame you lot.
    Originally posted by pineapple
    I know that's not aimed at me

If you'd taken note of what I eat you'd be down the cheap supermarket looking for the cheapest fish fingers
    • pineapple
    • By pineapple 14th Mar 18, 12:59 PM
    • 6,198 Posts
    • 29,744 Thanks
    pineapple
    I know that's not aimed at me

If you'd taken note of what I eat you'd be down the cheap supermarket looking for the cheapest fish fingers
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    I wouldn't dare aim anything PN.
    I suspect I'll be joining you soon. The hake and the bream were probably my last hurrah
    • caronc
    • By caronc 14th Mar 18, 1:00 PM
    • 3,765 Posts
    • 24,261 Thanks
    caronc

The MIA onion rescue is anticipated around Easter, my birthday near then and away day pick up already arranged, so a bit of extra curricula activity for DGS factored in
    Originally posted by Farway
    Sounds like a plan
    Well I've blown the budget and I blame you lot.
    Guilty as charged m'lud and I'm not at all ashamed

Well the soup has not been made, my balance flung a warning wobbler (I blame the change in the weather it's turning quite stormy) so I sloped back to my bed for a bit. Consequently a portion of scotch broth has been liberated from the freezer for lunch, that said it probably makes sense to use up existing HM stocks rather than adding to them though that doesn't use up the leeks. Still they'll keep for a bit longer. Assuming I can stay on my feet I'm still planning pie for dinner
    GC YTD 2018- 445/710
    • kittie
    • By kittie 14th Mar 18, 1:11 PM
    • 11,957 Posts
    • 74,734 Thanks
    kittie
    I often freeze leeks, slice wash drain and dry on t towels. In fact I prefer frozen leeks because there is no prep when I am cooking
    • caronc
    • By caronc 14th Mar 18, 1:20 PM
    • 3,765 Posts
    • 24,261 Thanks
    caronc
    I often freeze leeks, slice wash drain and dry on t towels. In fact I prefer frozen leeks because there is no prep when I am cooking
    Originally posted by kittie
    Thanks kittie, so do I and will do if I don't use them in the next few days. It's so handy just to be able to take what you need out to use.
    GC YTD 2018- 445/710
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 14th Mar 18, 1:33 PM
    • 62,433 Posts
    • 365,565 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I bought/froze leeks once.... it took me ages to get round to using them and they were cluttering up the freezer "forever" .... I'm not overly keen on them so don't intend to ever buy any more, ever again....

I was never a fan of them, bought on a whim really.

That's the advantage of ready meals, if there are ingredients you're not really keen on, but don't mind a tiny bit being in there... you get to eat XYZ without the overhead annoyance of being in possession of a vast quantity of the item you dislike.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 14th Mar 18, 1:42 PM
    • 3,765 Posts
    • 24,261 Thanks
    caronc
    I like leeks so they won't get wasted if I do end up freezing them, I used to grow them but wasn't getting a good enough yield for the space they were taking up so tend to buy them if they go on SO so I always have a stash I can use.
    GC YTD 2018- 445/710
    • Farway
    • By Farway 14th Mar 18, 2:14 PM
    • 6,137 Posts
    • 9,702 Thanks
    Farway
    The purse is now somewhat lighter. I would sell my body except that would only get me a couple of fish sticks.
    at that

Garden pottering completed, bit squidgy underfoot, and with more rain due tonight may be another day or two before I can get out there again. I have green wheelie bin, have to pay for collection but there isn't anyway I could get stuff to the tip unaided

Someone mentioning blood tests reminded me to arrange my one, thank to whoever it was. Got in quickly, tomorrow at 9

Lunch was baguette as planned

Dinner is looking like the last LO YS cheese & onion thingy, with piccalilli. I had a couple of slices of toast + jam later on yesterday, so may do same today

Bill time again, waste & sewage bill for the year. Got off lightly, only up 17 a year. I'm philosophical about this one because I'm a shareholder I can only point my finger at the mirror
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 14th Mar 18, 2:27 PM
    • 62,433 Posts
    • 365,565 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    For lunch I had a bread roll + marg.
    It was dated 12 March as I'd put the rolls in the breadbin and as I didn't see them in there I'd forgotten I got them.

So today's been ...
    Breakfast: bread roll & marg
    Lunch: bread roll & marg.

Tea is likely to be chips ....
    As you do...

It's only since I've eaten the bread roll that it occurred to me I could've filled it with a boiled egg and tomatoes (I have many cherry tomatoes to eat still .... "before they go off", as usual).
    • Farway
    • By Farway 14th Mar 18, 2:35 PM
    • 6,137 Posts
    • 9,702 Thanks
    Farway
    Chip roll for dinner?
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 14th Mar 18, 2:59 PM
    • 3,615 Posts
    • 5,396 Thanks
    bouicca21
    @Pineapple. So hake and sea bream were the same price? Can't work out whether that means the hake was cheap or the bream expensive. Both lovely though so I'm not sorry for inciting you to break the budget.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 14th Mar 18, 3:32 PM
    • 62,433 Posts
    • 365,565 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Chip roll for dinner?
    No bread rolls left
    Ate the last 2 today (pack of 4 bought ~a week ago)
    • caronc
    • By caronc 14th Mar 18, 6:06 PM
    • 3,765 Posts
    • 24,261 Thanks
    caronc
    Good evening everyone,
    I ended up snoozing again this afternoon and really had to force myself to get up as I felt I could have happily stayed there until the morning.
    Pie filling is more or less complete and the stock I made the other day is currently reducing so at least I got something constructive done in the end.
    After my Dad missing out on Saturday, I had intended to cook for family this Friday night (his actual birthday) but although he is feeling a bit better his tummy is still a bit iffy so we've deferred it to Sunday so fingers crossed he's okay by then. My meal plan for that day will get shelved as I want to make him a favourite dish of his- boiled gammon, colcannon and onion/parsley sauce. I do at myself making these meal plans as they always seem to go awry but I do find they help me be more mindful of the variety of food I eat so will keep doing them regardless
    GC YTD 2018- 445/710
    • Farway
    • By Farway 14th Mar 18, 6:07 PM
    • 6,137 Posts
    • 9,702 Thanks
    Farway
    I did have the last C & O thingy for dinner. Not hungry at the moment but may dabble at toast & jam later if peckish
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 14th Mar 18, 6:08 PM
    • 62,433 Posts
    • 365,565 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    ... toast & jam...
    Always a winner! I'd forgotten about that .... I'll get some bread out as I'll soon fancy some of that myself!
    • kittie
    • By kittie 14th Mar 18, 6:28 PM
    • 11,957 Posts
    • 74,734 Thanks
    kittie
    I love toast and jam, cool crispy toast, oh I love a crunch. I also love peanut butter scraped on cool toast

I am in process of making yogurt with A2 milk. I started using normal milk or soya milk and one of them is giving me heartburn. Either that or the sweet date slice, so the soya milk is down the sink and the date slices are in the bin. I could tell they were not good for me, far too sweet. I never had any trouble when nibbling on sugar free scones. I am also admitting to chucking three freezer boxes of ratatouille, I am sick of it and am only growing three bean plants and one courgette plant this year

I have found a good recipe book in my stash and will be using recipes from there soon. It is based on my blood type and I used to faithfully eat the appropriate foods, felt so well and had a very calm stomach. I haven`t been foodwise lately but things are about to change. Starting tomorrow
    • caronc
    • By caronc 14th Mar 18, 6:50 PM
    • 3,765 Posts
    • 24,261 Thanks
    caronc
    Too late now kittie but I use surplus ratatouille to make a quick minestrone type soup.
    GC YTD 2018- 445/710
    • wort
    • By wort 14th Mar 18, 7:37 PM
    • 763 Posts
    • 10,142 Thanks
    wort
    I've eaten today, 2 toast and cheese spread
    Ham salad thin ,3 satsumas, yogurt with seeds
    Hot smoked salmon, parmesan mash and carrots. Stick of twirl chocolate.
    Just decided to have last whipped yogurt with Y's raspberries bought today.
    Love raspberries! !
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 14th Mar 18, 7:42 PM
    • 62,433 Posts
    • 365,565 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Love raspberries! !
    Originally posted by wort
    They're a strange thing to me.... I'd like to like them, but I find the texture strangely "wobbly" - and one of my earliest memories is being given a raspberry to try, in somebody's garden.... and when I looked, there was a wiggly maggot .... so it sort of set the scene for me on those for life
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

420Posts Today

4,985Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin