Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    • 3,778Posts
    • 24,299Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Three)
    • 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    Cooking for one (Mark Three) 13th Jan 18 at 8:48 AM
    Welcome to Cooking one (Mark Three), time to get a shiny new thread up and running. The link to "Cooking for one (Mark Two)" can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73708876&posted=1#post73708876

Cooking For One
    13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?
    Last edited by caronc; 13-01-2018 at 8:51 AM.
    GC - Feb18 68/120, Mar 104/150, Apr 164/200, May 96/120
    GC YTD 2018- 487/710
Page 84
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Mar 18, 1:08 PM
    • 3,778 Posts
    • 24,299 Thanks
    caronc
    I've got as far as cutting/cooking the cabbage I wish I'd never bought....
    had thought I'd use a few bits to make a stupid "stuffed......" combining rice/mince and spices et al and shoving that into a leaf or two and steaming it. Then came to my senses and so am just cooking the darned cabbage to get it gone.

Life is too short to start stuffing random things just because you can; might as well just make up any rice/mince stuff and leave it at that if I've a yearning for it... and serve it with chips

In the main, "for one" ... stuffing anything is just a boring and pointless task that takes up extra time and faff ... for what? For no extra real benefit.

A lot of food is presented to us "for presentation purposes" - but if nobody but you will ever see it you can cut the cooking time in half by not bothering. e.g. why have a cheese crusted shepherd's pie .... when in half the time you can have a pile of mince mix on the plate with a portion of cheese mash beside it
    You have to question whether the extra steps, extra time, often extra washing up is worth the difference in end results.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    I suppose it depends on what you like to eat, I don't mind the extra faff to stuff veg as I like the end result IFYSWIM. I have disagree with you on the shepherds pie though it's the crispy bits (the best bits IMHO) on the top that make it different to mince & tatties which I also enjoy but do see it as a different dish. Still it would be a boring old world if we all liked or cooked the same things

Plain cabbage though with lots of butter & pepper is not to be sniffed at though, I can happily eat a big plate of that
    GC YTD 2018- 487/710
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 13th Mar 18, 1:12 PM
    • 62,453 Posts
    • 365,779 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    ....it would be a boring old world if we all liked or cooked the same things...
    Originally posted by caronc
    It wouldn't though would it, it'd be perfect.

We'd all like the same things, so would all have the same things, so there's less time spent stressing over choice and variation. No disagreements over stuff .... easy life. Everybody's happy.

When you analyse the statement it is peculiarly "wrong", yet oft quoted.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 13th Mar 18, 1:19 PM
    • 62,453 Posts
    • 365,779 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Where singles do lose out is when people vote - on financial stuff and local changes.....

Two houses side by side, one has 4 adults in it, one has 1.

One Councillor canvassing proposes building a tennis court and to charge it to the Council Tax at a cost of 1000.

The 1 has no interest so doesn't vote for that crowd; the 4 think "great, we can play tennis!" so they vote for that crowd.

The Councillor wins.... and the Council Tax goes up 1000 to pay for it.

The 1 pays 500 for a tennis court of no use/benefit to them, that they didn't vote for.
    The 4 pay 500 between them to play tennis all the time with each other many times.
    And even if the 1 finds a friend to play tennis with .... it's usually occupied with the household-of-4 using it already.

Replace tennis court with any local services/amenities and changes within any local area and single person households can be out-voted compared to those making (individually) a lesser financial contribution. So the single household "vote" has less "power" over how their s are spent.

Votes are per person, paying for things is per household. It's a mis-match of interests and input.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Mar 18, 1:25 PM
    • 3,778 Posts
    • 24,299 Thanks
    caronc
    It wouldn't though would it, it'd be perfect.

We'd all like the same things, so would all have the same things, so there's less time spent stressing over choice and variation. No disagreements over stuff .... easy life. Everybody's happy.

When you analyse the statement it is peculiarly "wrong", yet oft quoted.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Ah remember the "Stepford Wives" perfection brings it's own issues
    GC YTD 2018- 487/710
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 13th Mar 18, 2:56 PM
    • 62,453 Posts
    • 365,779 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I ended up going with the cabbage ... so what else did I have that I could toss in its general direction?
    3 bendy carrots ... last of the bag, one's rotten through.
    Instant mash ... because it was quicker/easier than peeling real spuds I've got
    Sage & Onion Stuffing
    A medium sized yorkshire pud
    Gravy.

So that's used 1/4 of the cabbage and the end of the bag of carrots.... so that's a small step forward. The Yorkie was the last of 4 I bought in for Xmas. Won't buy another bag until next Xmas as that's about the only time I need "one quick yorkie".
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 13th Mar 18, 2:57 PM
    • 15,601 Posts
    • 43,333 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    then the singles should pay a lot less in council tax. I pay 169 pm and a working family of 5 down the lane pay much less, they have a big nice old house and very large garden. I have one bin empty every 2 weeks for that, no lights nothing
    Originally posted by kittie
    I've probably said before that I take the view that, as I'm paying so much more CT than "half of a couple" would - then I will try and get my "money's worth" all round any chance I see to get more "value" from my CT.

It also leaves me feeling quite free to tell the Council how I disagree with them spending (wasting) a bit of that CT on some people's "personal preferences" - when there isn't enough money here for necessities. West Wales is a pretty poor area - and it's West Wales councils that are the worst imo for wasting money on some peoples "personal preferences" (you can guess....). I do firmly believe Councils should spend on things everyone needs and not what a few people "want". Or I'd be willing to "do a trade" - of "You can spend on what some people want - provided you also spend on what some of the rest of us want" (thinks wistfully of just how many free events my former City Council spends on...). It is pretty frequent to find free music events going on for instance and I can only think of one free community social event of any description I've been to since I came here (and that wasnt put on by the Council). I'm still getting my head round having to pay for all my social life here - because of those missing free Council ones.
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 13-03-2018 at 3:09 PM.
    Like Frankie said - I did it my way.
    It's MY life......
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 13th Mar 18, 3:04 PM
    • 62,453 Posts
    • 365,779 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    ... free music events ....
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    That's a different bucket. There they're trying to get people to go there, to stay in B&Bs/hotels etc and spend money in local pubs and on tat at small shops, "gifts for home" etc. There's a bucket for "commercial success".

In that way, the people renting the shops will do enough trade to continue to pay the rent and then pay them Business Rates.

While I agree that "nobody wants a free !!!!!!!' music festival, annoying noisy mucky things" ... if they didn't do it those people would go elsewhere, the area would decline and become a ghost town/aka shyteole.

You pay 5 into the budget, so they put on a free festival, so that when anybody visits you you can walk them round the town and show them shops open ... and not just dirt, dust and "To Let" signs in windows and they say "Oh you're so lucky to live here!"
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 13th Mar 18, 3:11 PM
    • 15,601 Posts
    • 43,333 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Well aware that's part of the reasoning why my home area Council spends on those things - but us locals are quite happy to go along as well (after all we're the ones paying for it - indirectly through our CT)...
    Like Frankie said - I did it my way.
    It's MY life......
    • Farway
    • By Farway 13th Mar 18, 3:25 PM
    • 6,144 Posts
    • 9,716 Thanks
    Farway
    MIA onion is still AWOL under a kitchen unit and is awaiting rescue by next bendy visitor. If I were daft enough to try a rescue I would still be on the floor at Easter

Must be expensive spending month on here, I've just forked out for House & car insurance. Bad news PN, car insurance has gone up again

Luckily my car is a small diesel. Now classed as polluting, but was once classified a huge environmental saviour for taxation purposes by "Experts". Only 30 a year.

Sun's out, Yesterday I sowed my tom seeds & potted on the dahlias, just in time for the freezing weekend

Mooched around L's. nothing, just crackers & PB baguette pack, forgot to check the chip situation but this time of year the freezer space is full of Easter "stuff"

Nil breakfast

Lunch PB baguette, with Stilton & salady inside

Dinner is looking CBA and heating up a YS cheese & onion thingy, or two

Yesterday's trout & salad dinner was very nice, now I deliberately have LO cold boiled spuds, plus I have eggs that really need using before they hop out of the fridge unaided. Only thing I can think of is sliced spuds in cheesey, tom & onion omelette fry up.

I searched on line, but seem a bit beyond my tastes and store cupboard, like Kimchi, edamame, etc. I may open tin of corned beef and have some sort of hash thing instead, I could always pour eggs over it. Seems like a plan for tomorrow
    Last edited by Farway; 14-03-2018 at 10:05 AM.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 13th Mar 18, 3:26 PM
    • 62,453 Posts
    • 365,779 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Well aware that's part of the reasoning why my home area Council spends on those things - but us locals are quite happy to go along as well (after all we're the ones paying for it - indirectly through our CT)...
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    As the Council gets more "hands off", preferring people to pay them to rent space to put on events ... increasingly things that you'd have been happy to shuffle round for free are becoming "paid entry" events. e.g. Food festivals ... where you're charged a fee to enter, to buy overpriced food... I don't go to those. Happy to know that there's a free one on I could shuffle round - although I don't as I don't see the point of walking 3-4 miles round a food festival full of food that is overpriced in a thong of people ... and pay "festival food prices" to eat something in an awkward spot you can wedge into from a polystyrene tray I went a couple of times, then came home to make my own burger for about 50p instead of 5 the "artisans" wanted

...diesel. Now classed as polluting, but was once classified a huge environmental saviour for taxation purposes by "Experts". Only 30 a year. ...
    Originally posted by Farway
    Mine's diesel - I didn't want it; I deliberately bought it because "they" were telling us we should switch to diesel .... it's got many years left in it (well, who can tell) ... and so I can't just get rid of it, to replace it with another 8-10 year old 2nd hand car. So I have to keep driving it until it becomes a nuisance to me, then downsize.

Also, diesel used to be cheaper, so I bought thinking I was doing something I didn't want to do but it was "considered for the best and cheapest"
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 13-03-2018 at 3:30 PM.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 13th Mar 18, 3:28 PM
    • 1,814 Posts
    • 12,539 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    ^

I read that about diesel cars, people were encouraged to buy them and now they are trying to get rid of them. Annoying if you bought one!
    2018: Simplify your life
    Books Read 24/60
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 13th Mar 18, 3:30 PM
    • 1,814 Posts
    • 12,539 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    We are very lucky in that we get free travel in London on the tube/bus/train because of my husband's job. Neither of us drive either. I've never even learned.

The Singapore noodles were delish. I will add some chopped spring onions next time.
    2018: Simplify your life
    Books Read 24/60
    • Farway
    • By Farway 13th Mar 18, 3:36 PM
    • 6,144 Posts
    • 9,716 Thanks
    Farway
    I enjoy the "free stuff" put on by a local seaside council, I'm not a CT payer there, but I enjoyed the Tour de France when it came over, plus Kite Festival, and D Day stuff. My local CT goes towards paying for things I do not use, but could, like a National Park. I don't begrudge those type of extras but I can see how it could annoy others. I can think of things I would not use CT for, but it goes there anyway, swings & roundabouts
    • pineapple
    • By pineapple 13th Mar 18, 4:08 PM
    • 6,198 Posts
    • 29,748 Thanks
    pineapple
    I'm still getting my head round the discussion about bins. Here we don't get bins, we have the infamous blue bag - or rather two blue bags. But owing to rats from the farms and the river you can't just leave your blue bag out, so end up buying your own bins to put them in. On the weekly collection day, you put your two filled bags outside your gate to be collected and they lob over your wall two new bags tied together in a knot. I line my bins with them. Once when I chucked some rubbish in, it fell straight out the other side. Yes the latest blue bags were missing their bottoms
    We also get issued with two large woven bags for fortnightly recycling.
    Edit: I have no idea if larger households get extra blue bags
    • kittie
    • By kittie 13th Mar 18, 5:11 PM
    • 11,971 Posts
    • 74,835 Thanks
    kittie
    oh what a lovely day today, sun all day and I have been reading inside in the sun all afternoon. It does pick the spirits up after winter.

Food? well tbh whatever I could nab from the fridge and freezer, anyway I am back into using-up mode but at the moment have to concentrate on the fresh veggies in the fridge and they will go with almost anything. Probably the same scenario tomorrow and the day after, as long as it takes

The new ct bill came today, up 11 a month and auto over 10 months, which is what I want.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Mar 18, 6:50 PM
    • 3,778 Posts
    • 24,299 Thanks
    caronc
    Good evening everyone,
    I had a rather long wait to be seen at the Drs (I thought that might be the case so had my book & specs) so I'm just back, boy it's getting chilly outside. Blood results were all fine but my BP is still playing up so back in a week to see if it has settled if not meds will get tweaked again!

My council does very little by way of "free stuff", that said local groups have filled that gap and there is quite a bit on in the town over the year due to their hard work, including two very popular (though not free, they are non-profit making so affordable) fairly large scale music events.

Farway - are you hoping someone will rescue the onion or will you just leave it to eventually take care of itself?

kittie - lucky you get a sit in the sunshine, unfortunately it clouded over hear so I didn't get much of a chance to enjoy any.

I'm looking forward to my dinner tonight as I've not had sea bass in ages, not sure why as the one in the freezer has been there for a good bit. I'm just going to stuff it with some of the spiced onions, drizzle with olive oil and bake it. I'll nuke some rice and veg to have with it. I had thought to have something tomatoey with it but I think I fancy runner beans and cabbage more.
    GC YTD 2018- 487/710
    • wort
    • By wort 13th Mar 18, 7:02 PM
    • 765 Posts
    • 10,145 Thanks
    wort
    4 large bins here ! Blue- paper
    Brown- plastic and glass
    Green- food and garden waste
    Black -everything else!
    Rarely full apart from green over summer, when I usually use everyone else's green bins too!!!
    Not many gardeners round here.
    Caronc- the onions sound great and fairly simple (not loads of spices etc.)
    Thanks for reminder of carrots they have now been cooked and put in freezer minus a few for tea tomorrow. Ala PN.

I've had ham salad thin for lunch with 2 kiwis and yogurt.
    Jacket spud cheese and rest of tin beans ,salad of tomatoes lettuce onion,peppers.
    With magnum style choc ice.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • wort
    • By wort 13th Mar 18, 7:08 PM
    • 765 Posts
    • 10,145 Thanks
    wort
    Wednesday - my Kittie goes outside now but when he was a kitten I bought greenwoods plant fibre litter,
    Layered deep, then scooping after each no 1 or no 2 , it didn't need throwing the whole litter away for a few weeks. There was no smell ,though my Kittie is raw fed, so his no 2 are tiny, and don't smell anyway.
    The litter is compostable and can be flushed. Though I didn't flush it.

Sorry if TMI!
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 13th Mar 18, 7:11 PM
    • 62,453 Posts
    • 365,779 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Green bits for garden clippings here are chargeable, ~65/year.
    I don't have it as I've a tiny garden, which I cut just 3-4x a year and so I take it to the tip.

I don't want to get lazy and leave it rotting/smelling, so I wait until a day when it's been dry 2-3 days and I fancy it and I've got the time to finish the job and go immediately to the tip to get rid of it.
    • wort
    • By wort 13th Mar 18, 7:34 PM
    • 765 Posts
    • 10,145 Thanks
    wort
    Gosh I hope they don't start charging here!! I love gardening, it's not huge, only small but it requires lots of chopping and clipping.
    I don't drive so no car, and the tip is a quite a few miles away!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,936Posts Today

8,173Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin