Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    • 3,786Posts
    • 24,321Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Three)
    • 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    Cooking for one (Mark Three) 13th Jan 18 at 8:48 AM
    Welcome to Cooking one (Mark Three), time to get a shiny new thread up and running. The link to "Cooking for one (Mark Two)" can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73708876&posted=1#post73708876

Cooking For One
    13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?
    Last edited by caronc; 13-01-2018 at 8:51 AM.
    GC - Feb18 68/120, Mar 104/150, Apr 164/200, May 96/120
    GC YTD 2018- 487/710
Page 81
    • caronc
    • By caronc 11th Mar 18, 7:05 PM
    • 3,786 Posts
    • 24,321 Thanks
    caronc
    PN you need to clear your inbox!
    Meanwhile I am just waiting for my roasties to crisp up to go with my succulent roast lamb. If someone would like to lob a sticky toffee pudding my way, that would just finish things off nicely.
    Originally posted by pineapple
    I've a pack of two in cupboard and happy to share. Mind you I'm rubbish aim but if you want to open the window I'll lob one....
    GC YTD 2018- 487/710
    • pineapple
    • By pineapple 11th Mar 18, 7:10 PM
    • 6,198 Posts
    • 29,748 Thanks
    pineapple
    I've a pack of two in cupboard and happy to share. Mind you I'm rubbish aim but if you want to open the window I'll lob one....
    Originally posted by caronc
    Not home made?
    I'm disappointed but beggars can't be choosers. I've opened the window. Aim for NW UK...
    • kittie
    • By kittie 11th Mar 18, 7:15 PM
    • 11,978 Posts
    • 74,934 Thanks
    kittie
    Kittie - do you think you would like oatmeal soup? I good handful into veg soups works well and "leek porridge" is lovely. This recipe is very similiar to one I make (that was my Gran's) https://www.skinnytaste.com/irish-oatmeal-leek-soup/
    oh yes thank you I completely never thought of soup. I can grind the oats too, in my vitamix. Wonderful. You are good with food caronc
    • caronc
    • By caronc 11th Mar 18, 7:25 PM
    • 3,786 Posts
    • 24,321 Thanks
    caronc
    Not home made?
    I'm disappointed but beggars can't be choosers. I've opened the window. Aim for NW UK...
    Sorry not HM Ok stand by - if I aim for a straightish line from here it should be ok
    oh yes thank you I completely never thought of soup. I can grind the oats too, in my vitamix. Wonderful. You are good with food caronc
    Originally posted by kittie
    Thanks kittie , they do cook down a lot especially in broths etc. so don't really need grinding or only a quick whizz. I was lucky to be brought up in a family that liked cooking so it's in my blood so to speak (and around my waistline) . I love the fact that both my kids are also keen cooks, though my sister is still working on my nephew(though in fairness he is getting better)
    GC YTD 2018- 487/710
    • caronc
    • By caronc 11th Mar 18, 7:30 PM
    • 3,786 Posts
    • 24,321 Thanks
    caronc
    This sounds good to http://www.tasteofbeirut.com/oatmeal-stew-shoofan-wlahmeh/ and very adaptable (note to self to try if we have lamb at Easter)
    GC YTD 2018- 487/710
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 12th Mar 18, 12:05 AM
    • 62,477 Posts
    • 365,921 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    PN you need to .....
    I had a rush of popularity last month
    I usually go months without a single thing...
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 12th Mar 18, 12:07 AM
    • 62,477 Posts
    • 365,921 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I don't go to the cinema. I don't like the shared space experience - people are annoying and noisy and irritating and I struggle to focus away from whatever it is they're doing. I can name the films I've seen there and the last one was in 2006.

In the main .... when it comes to films I have no idea what's going on and need somebody to explain things to me So it's not good.

I just find random films for free on the telly when they crop up ... and I often fall asleep after an hour anyway

I'd rather have a chinese takeaway and a free film at home in my odd socks, than go out to a cinema and pay that money to sit and watch a film I can't understand ... and, these days, there appear to be 200 new ones a week ... I'm sure decades ago there was a tiny handful a month!
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 12-03-2018 at 12:10 AM.
    • pineapple
    • By pineapple 12th Mar 18, 7:21 AM
    • 6,198 Posts
    • 29,748 Thanks
    pineapple
    I don't go to the cinema. I don't like the shared space experience - people are annoying and noisy and irritating and I struggle to focus away from whatever it is they're doing.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    I can relate to that.
    Maybe it's me putting a childhood gloss on things but I go back to a time when very few people had a TV and even then you only got your 3 channels which shut down at midnight. Not like the all singing all dancing, instant access multi media platforms of today. Back then a trip to the cinema was a big event plus in those days you got big epics - some of which are still around today. So a trip to the cinema was 'an occasion' - at least it was in my family - and people were a bit more hushed. Or maybe that's just my memory.
    Over time it gradually got less special. I think the last time I went to the cinema was when The Sound of Music came out.
    Last edited by pineapple; 12-03-2018 at 7:24 AM.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 12th Mar 18, 7:24 AM
    • 11,978 Posts
    • 74,934 Thanks
    kittie
    nowt special today, a grey day ahead and ratatouille out the freezer plus a rm. I have a small amount of soup left and plan that for an in-between meal. Getting the washing done now, while the utility is warm and it will dry. Today I need a plan so will bottom a small bedroom and my sewing room ie the bedroom with no bed. That will be upstairs all bottomed out

Stove is blazing, ch is on for a change and hot water is getting hotter. I am aiming for a bath, in a warm bathroom, with magnesium flakes as soon as the washing is up to dry. Probably enough in my diet but my body feels like it needs some transdermally and I am listening

Those days at the pictures, ahh, dr zhivago, gone with the wind and the ice cream break. 6d for childrens cinema on a saturday, packed full and also full of smoke from chain smoking adults
    Last edited by kittie; 12-03-2018 at 7:30 AM.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 12th Mar 18, 8:18 AM
    • 3,786 Posts
    • 24,321 Thanks
    caronc
    Good morning everyone,
    I used to love going to the cinema but haven't been for years. Unfortunately it's one of the environments that my memeniere's brain can no longer cope with.
    Apart from a Drs appt later this afternoon I've not much planned for today. I need to sort out and tidy the fridge and work out a meal plan for this week. Last I ended up having a baked spud with one of the two remaining portions of pulled pork and some spiced onions and the last of the tomato salad from Sunday. I'll pick the chicken carcass today, I reckon there is enough meat for a stuffed flat bread for lunch today and maybe tomorrow. I'll probably use the carcass to make a tandoori spiced chicken stock which I'll probably turn into soup later in the week. Apart from some spiced onions and a portion of the veg bake base mix that should be the LOs from Saturday more or less used up. I'm not sure what to make for dinner tonight, something easy I think.
    GC YTD 2018- 487/710
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 12th Mar 18, 8:50 AM
    • 1,814 Posts
    • 12,539 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    When I was younger I used to go to the cinema at least twice a week. I prefer to watch stuff at home now. The last film I saw at the cinema was IT. The scary Stephen King film.

I watched a film at home on Netflix last night, Veronica. It was well made, but not really scary at all!

I've only had a cup of tea so far today.

I know I am going to have a veggie chilli pie with steamed sweetcorn, carrots and tenderstem broccoli at some point today. With lots of ketchup!
    2018: Simplify your life
    Books Read 24/60
    • Need2bthrifty
    • By Need2bthrifty 12th Mar 18, 9:15 AM
    • 1,056 Posts
    • 9,113 Thanks
    Need2bthrifty
    Morning All,

I enjoy going to the cinema and used to go quite regularly if it was a wet and windy afternoon, one of the advantages of being retired, but it is getting quite pricey now and I still havent reached the concession age bracket yet. The last film I went to see was The Danish Girl, which was a couple of years ago now.

Im being very lazy this morning, its dull and grey here too so Ive been vegging out and watched GB wheelchair curlers have a very good win against Sweden whilst having my coffee, but suppose I best go get washed and dressed now.
    Last edited by Need2bthrifty; 12-03-2018 at 3:04 PM.
    Keep Moving = 282.50mls/1000mls @ week 15

GC - Apr - 55.82/80.00, Mar - 59.87/60.00
    • caronc
    • By caronc 12th Mar 18, 11:13 AM
    • 3,786 Posts
    • 24,321 Thanks
    caronc
    I've never seen either of the IT films but re-read the book recently. It still gave me the heebie jeebies.

Meal plan done to take me up to the next time I think my son is home:-
    M- sweedish meatballs in a creamy veg sauce with pasta
    T- baked sea bass with rice & spicy courgettes (or ratatouille)
    W- HM chicken, leek & mushroom pie with savoy cabbage
    T- venison sausage & lentil casserole
    F-tbc
    S- rump steak, mushrooms, tomatoes, onions and potato slices
    S- roast turkey thigh (Christmas LO) with root veg & gravy in a giant yorkshire pudding
    M- Turkey stir fry and noodles
    T- Spinach & ricotta lasagne
    W- liver & bacon casserole
    T- spiced chicken & lentils with pitta

That should use up a some of the remaining portions of "wintry" casseroles in the freezer. I'm hoping the worst of the cold weather and my resulting need for comforting food might be behind us
    GC YTD 2018- 487/710
    • caronc
    • By caronc 12th Mar 18, 11:14 AM
    • 3,786 Posts
    • 24,321 Thanks
    caronc
    PS has anyone seen PN or MTSTM?
    GC YTD 2018- 487/710
    • kittie
    • By kittie 12th Mar 18, 11:27 AM
    • 11,978 Posts
    • 74,934 Thanks
    kittie
    They are both safe Caronc, expect they are busy
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 12th Mar 18, 11:29 AM
    • 62,477 Posts
    • 365,921 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I've been mostly eating fruit pastilles, so didn't post.

I've put the cabbage, parsnips and swede I bought out so I don't keep forgetting them.... but I don't fancy them
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 12th Mar 18, 11:32 AM
    • 1,814 Posts
    • 12,539 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I had some courgette noodles with pesto for breakfast and I am feeling a bit sick to be honest.

I had a mango yoghurt and some green tea as well.

I've never seen either of the IT films but re-read the book recently. It still gave me the heebie jeebies.

The film was very creepy!
    2018: Simplify your life
    Books Read 24/60
    • kittie
    • By kittie 12th Mar 18, 11:44 AM
    • 11,978 Posts
    • 74,934 Thanks
    kittie
    I am cooking my rm and am about to cook the cabbage. I don`t fancy any of it. I fancy fruit pastilles, good job I haven`t got any

I hope there is something half decent on the box this afternoon, I don`t want to do any more work, just keeping the kitchen clean will do today
    • caronc
    • By caronc 12th Mar 18, 11:58 AM
    • 3,786 Posts
    • 24,321 Thanks
    caronc
    I've been mostly eating fruit pastilles, so didn't post.

Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Getting your 5 a day in early then I used to love fruit pastilles they always make me think of going to the pictures with my Dad when I was young and we'd get pastilles and fruit gums to share

The film was very creepy!
    Originally posted by Wednesday2000
    I can imagine
    just keeping the kitchen clean will do today
    Originally posted by kittie
    Sounds about the extent of my "to do" list today, my "batteries" are feeling a bit flat after all the cleaning/cooking for Saturday (was worth it though)
    GC YTD 2018- 487/710
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 12th Mar 18, 12:57 PM
    • 7,716 Posts
    • 11,273 Thanks
    jackieblack
    That should use up a some of the remaining portions of "wintry" casseroles in the freezer. I'm hoping the worst of the cold weather and my resulting need for comforting food might be behind us
    It's on its way back next week apparently
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
    (Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi )
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,667Posts Today

8,343Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin