Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    • 3,893Posts
    • 24,834Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Three)
    • 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    Cooking for one (Mark Three) 13th Jan 18 at 8:48 AM
    Welcome to Cooking one (Mark Three), time to get a shiny new thread up and running. The link to "Cooking for one (Mark Two)" can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73708876&posted=1#post73708876

Cooking For One
    13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?
    Last edited by caronc; 13-01-2018 at 8:51 AM.
    GC - Mar 104/150, Apr 164/200, May 96/120, Jun 206/230
    GC YTD 2018- 605/940
Page 80
    • pineapple
    • By pineapple 11th Mar 18, 9:42 AM
    • 6,222 Posts
    • 29,769 Thanks
    pineapple
    I was modded recently (on another forum she said hastily). It seems someone complained (heck maybe everyone complained ) . My comment wasn't aimed at anyone but was regarded as as being non pc (she said carefully). I was both astonished and aggrieved as I felt I had been interpreted all wrong and I had no right of reply.
    I think the issue with forums is we make and read comments in different head spaces. It's a wonder, really, that we aren't falling out all over the place. Plus unlike face to face conversations, you can't suss out the body signals and vibes as you go.
    The same can be said of dating sites but we won't go there....

Having roast leg of lamb, sprouts and roasties today. Once I'm done with this joint, will be going 'cheap and cheerful'. I do feel that whole joints for a single person are a bit of a luxury. Plus imo larger joints cook nicer than small joints (that's my excuse anyway) and I end up being plain greedy.
    Spring has sprung so off into the garden we go
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 11th Mar 18, 9:44 AM
    • 1,814 Posts
    • 12,542 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    My loo still isn't fixed as there is a crack on the cistern and they had to get in touch with the tradespeople and it was too late yesterday. You can still use it by flushing it with water after you use it, at least!

Grr.

Sorry, probably not a great subject matter on a food thread. Just being honest.

I just had a cup of tea so far today. Feels so lovely and mild outside!
    2018: Simplify your life
    Books Read 24/60
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 11th Mar 18, 9:45 AM
    • 1,814 Posts
    • 12,542 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    Also, because I don't know when they are coming to fix it I had to cancel my blood donation tomorrow! I hadn't done it in ages and was quite looking forward to it. Typical!

I took some frozen berries out this morning as I keep forgetting to do it the night before.
    Books Read 24/60
    • kittie
    • By kittie 11th Mar 18, 10:17 AM
    • 12,192 Posts
    • 76,449 Thanks
    kittie
    PN, thank you for coming back. I know you don`t do hugs

By 8.30 I had been up for a few hours, sometimes wish I was not a lark, then the sun shone and I went out on my bike. 7 lovely miles today, I was anxious about losing any fitness but it was still there, still had cycling legs. Not fast but up and down some hills and along the moors

Food plan has gone, small rm today and various veg, hm blackcurrant pie slice. No idea for last meal, I fib, I have carrot soup, will turn it into a meal with edamame pasta

Now wort, those cocktails!! how did it go?
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 11th Mar 18, 10:47 AM
    • 62,817 Posts
    • 368,070 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    .... imo larger joints cook nicer than small joints ...
    Originally posted by pineapple
    It's true, many things benefit from "bigger cooking/presentation portions". That's why I choose big/family pies rather than individual ones as the meat/pastry ratio's not right in small ones .... and you can't beat dipping a big spoon into a huge bowl of trifle to spoon out one portion, a tiny individual pot simply isn't the same experience.
    • pineapple
    • By pineapple 11th Mar 18, 11:26 AM
    • 6,222 Posts
    • 29,769 Thanks
    pineapple
    Food plan has gone, small rm today
    Originally posted by kittie
    For a moment - I read 'bm' and was thinking 'Do I really need to know this?' Should've gone to Specsavers!
    • wort
    • By wort 11th Mar 18, 12:21 PM
    • 778 Posts
    • 10,214 Thanks
    wort
    So sad to hear that people are leaving, they will be missed x.

I had a lovely afternoon, we started with pink prosecco, then had a meal in Mowgli, which is indian street food, served like tapas, so we shared 6 little dishes which were extremely tasty, I can't remember the names but the menu is online,we ate from the glutenfree menu.
    We had a bottle of rose with the meal then went for a cocktail, need2b you must be a mind reader ,we had the expresso martinis perfect after our meal.
    I caught the train home before it got dark ,though it was sardines on the train, why they don't put more carriages on when they know stations are running buses I don't know.
    The only other thing I ate yesterday was to finish the block of aldi fruit and nut chocolate bar with a cuppa before I went to bed.
    Last edited by wort; 11-03-2018 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Sp
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • flubberyzing
    • By flubberyzing 11th Mar 18, 1:54 PM
    • 955 Posts
    • 6,609 Thanks
    flubberyzing
    I'm sorry to see that people are leaving! This is one of my favourite threads, even though I don't post that often.

I've just had snacky bits today. A yoghurt, a choccy bar and a few biccies with my coffee. I'm off to the cinema in about 45 minutes to see 'The Greatest Showman' and will then have chicken and home-made chips when I'm back.
    I did ask a couple of friends if they wanted to see the film with me, but no one was interested. Luckily, I'm completely comfortable with doing things alone! I do feel so sorry for those singles who struggle to get out and about on their own. I guess it's because I don't really know any different, having never had any particular interest in a relationship beyond friendship!
    Because it's fun to have money!
    • gt568
    • By gt568 11th Mar 18, 1:55 PM
    • 1,661 Posts
    • 2,763 Thanks
    gt568
    Absolutely no issues going to the cinema solo for me.
    Down with the signature fascists!!
    • Farway
    • By Farway 11th Mar 18, 2:03 PM
    • 6,246 Posts
    • 9,972 Thanks
    Farway
    Farway, what do you use for your hm yogurt starter?
    I'm using the children of the original powdered starter I was given at the same time as the YM. It does say it may loose potency after a while and then I will switch to live fresh one from SM, no idea of brand choice yet

I thought I would be up & about early, like Kittie, but after thinking about making some cheese & onion pasties and listening to radio at 5 am I awoke suddenly 8 am

Pot of tea with half pot of HM yoghurt, used the rest to start another batch off, which is "cooking" in the YM

Master plan of cheese & onion pasty / pie finally died when I opened the Cheshire cheese. By the time I had cut off the manky and green bits there was hardly a bite left

Lunch was the measly remnant of Cheshire cheese, with Cheddar to bulk up, plus salady bits in a sarnie

Salmon fillet defrosting for dinner, I think fried in butter this time. With baked spud and odds & ends of salad. Thinking a healthier meal was geting overdue

Quick potter to get ready for tomato sowing, but back gave out before I got round to getting the compost from garage to garden

One further CFO complication, dropped an onion and it has rolled under a kitchen unit. Due to lack of bendyness there it will have to stay until I get a bendy visitor
    • kittie
    • By kittie 11th Mar 18, 2:08 PM
    • 12,192 Posts
    • 76,449 Thanks
    kittie
    pesky mouth hunger struck again today, I was not hungry but just wanted to nibble and celery would not have done. I had two pieces of cake after lunch, after my dark chocolate. I could kick myself, I now feel stuffed. I am going to have to work out why that happens and it doesn`t happen if I am very engrossed doing something,like sewing or bottoming a room. Well, maybe, never mind because it will soon be warm enough to spend afternoons on the allotment, I never feel like munching when on my hands and knees

I looked at my calendar and see that I have no appointments the rest of this month, good. I have some house render to do as well as general outside work. I aim to get through the last remaining ready meals, the few sausage and bacon packs, not much in them only one sausage and one rasher and I have pounds of blackcurrants, still. Compote and jam will have to be on the menu. Future lesson for me: don`t pick so many

channel 81 moving pictures: I soon lost interest, was like watching paint dry. I`ll watch a film this afternoon, it is building up to rain
    • kittie
    • By kittie 11th Mar 18, 2:14 PM
    • 12,192 Posts
    • 76,449 Thanks
    kittie
    Farway, that is good to know, about the starter. I have bulgarian starter in my fridge

Same as me farway re the radio, I always push the on button down if I wake early, if it is still on world radio then I `try` and stay in bed. Sometimes if my mind is whizzy, then I have it on very low as I try and get to sleep, love that music when 4 transfers to world, think it is called `sailing by` but I prefer to have the radio off when I fall asleep. It is good for those `boring` moments. I am glad you managed another 3 hours, feels good doesn`t it?
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 11th Mar 18, 2:37 PM
    • 1,814 Posts
    • 12,542 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I had two cups of tea and then some pate and romaine lettuce in toasted GF pitta breads.

I fancy some berries and a yoghurt or custard. I will have to see if the berries have defrosted yet.
    Books Read 24/60
    • pineapple
    • By pineapple 11th Mar 18, 3:54 PM
    • 6,222 Posts
    • 29,769 Thanks
    pineapple
    and I have pounds of blackcurrants, still.
    Home grown? When I moved house a couple of years back I left some blackcurrant bushes just coming into their own. Lucky lucky buyer! It's my favourite fruit.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 11th Mar 18, 5:18 PM
    • 3,893 Posts
    • 24,834 Thanks
    caronc
    Good afternoon everyone,

I feel rather sad and deflated that we have lost posters from the CFO thread I will miss their contributions.
    I do hope the thread can return to the supportive and community it can be.

That's me back to CFO as my son left a short while ago.

Last night was lovely and the food disappeared like the proverbial "snow off a dyke" so I've not too much lurking by way of LOs. Unfortunately, my Dad wasn't feeling great so had to leave before the meal but he's feeling a bit more like himself today thankfully. I'll cook him a meal on his actual birthday later in the week to make up for it.

It ended up being quiet a late one, my son's mates came to the house to collect him to go to the pub. The plan was to have a quick drink with everyone and then head out, however they got settled round the table and ended up not heading to the pub until nearly midnight. The guys have all been friends since primary school and have been frequent visitors over the years so it was lovely to have them and their chat back in the house.

I got spoiled for Mother's Day from the boys who got the most beautiful (huge) orchid plant. It is a rich purple colour and is sitting proudly on the conservatory table. I have a few orchids and they seem to really do well in there so fingers crossed this one does.

Food wise today so far has been somewhat unhealthy I had a bacon butty late morning and just a short while ago two crackers and cheese (so much for my salt intake today but I'll be back on the straight & narrow tomorrow). Tonight I'm for some of the LOs stuffed in a flat bread with salady bits.
    GC YTD 2018- 605/940
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 11th Mar 18, 5:37 PM
    • 62,817 Posts
    • 368,070 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I just went for cheesy chips and beans
    And some sweeties
    And finished off Cake2.
    • Need2bthrifty
    • By Need2bthrifty 11th Mar 18, 5:57 PM
    • 1,058 Posts
    • 9,121 Thanks
    Need2bthrifty
    then went for a cocktail, need2b you must be a mind reader ,we had the expresso martinis perfect after our meal.
    Originally posted by wort
    Good choice , Im going out for a meal later this week and there are likely to be cocktails on the menu, Im not driving so thinking I might try a Negroni.

Unfortunately, my Dad wasn't feeling great so had to leave before the meal but he's feeling a bit more like himself today thankfully. I'll cook him a meal on his actual birthday later in the week to make up for it.

I got spoiled for Mother's Day from the boys who got the most beautiful (huge) orchid plant.
    Originally posted by caronc
    Sounds like it all went really well last night, shame your dad wasnt 100%. I love orchids too and they seem to do well in my bathroom, probably the warm humidity in there, I just have to keep a watch out for mould growing in there.

My house is filled with the aroma of garlicky, tomato and veg soup, Ive ended up with 6 potions of it, thankfully having consumed some of the cake that was in the freezer I can squeeze the remaining 5 portions in. Also, Ive worked on a bit of a plan for the next few days just because I was getting very lazy and going through a cba kinda phase planning works for me and I dont waste so much veg if I have a plan to work to. Tonight, Im having liver casserole, swede & carrot mash and steamed cauliflower, rest of the week goes as follows
    Mon
    L Lentil Soup
    D Hasselback butternut squash with Halloumi on the side
    Tues
    L Mixed pepper and feta salad with mint dressing
    D Turkey Burger, l/o butternut squash, hm coleslaw.
    Wed
    L Out for Lunch
    D Soup or Sandwich depends on lunch
    Thurs
    D Moussaka, shredded cabbage & radish
    Fri
    L Vegetable Broth, toast
    D Macaroni Cheese, beetroot & tomato
    Keep Moving = 532.70mls/1000mls @ week 25

W/L Challenge (24/6 - 30/9) - 0/14
    • kittie
    • By kittie 11th Mar 18, 5:57 PM
    • 12,192 Posts
    • 76,449 Thanks
    kittie
    I just found some yogi meda tea, had forgotten why I bought meda but now see that it helps to stop sugar cravings. I`m having that tomorrow mid morning and again after lunch.

I have stewed apple to use up, need to eat that for breakfast and will add raspberries,nuts, hemp, cacao nibs and yogurt. I don`t know how on earth I am going to get those good jumbo oats into me. Maybe I will do some soaked oats tonight and add them. I want to eat oats but really don`t like the texture of porridge and do not want to make flapjacks
    • caronc
    • By caronc 11th Mar 18, 6:05 PM
    • 3,893 Posts
    • 24,834 Thanks
    caronc
    Good choice , Im going out for a meal later this week and there are likely to be cocktails on the menu, Im not driving so thinking I might try a Negroni.

Sounds like it all went really well last night, shame your dad wasnt 100%. I love orchids too and they seem to do well in my bathroom, probably the warm humidity in there, I just have to keep a watch out for mould growing in there.

My house is filled with the aroma of garlicky, tomato and veg soup, Ive ended up with 6 potions of it, thankfully having consumed some of the cake that was in the freezer I can squeeze the remaining 5 portions in. Also, Ive worked on a bit of a plan for the next few days just because I was getting very lazy and going through a cba kinda phase planning works for me and I dont waste so much veg if I have a plan to work to. Tonight, Im having liver casserole, swede & carrot mash and steamed cauliflower, rest of the week goes as follows
    Mon
    L Lentil Soup
    D Hasselback butternut squash with Halloumi on the side
    Tues
    D Turkey Burger, l/o butternut squash, hm coleslaw.
    Wed
    L Out for Lunch
    D Soup or Sandwich depends on lunch
    Thurs
    D Moussaka, shredded cabbage & radish
    Fri
    L Vegetable Broth, toast
    D Macaroni Cheese, beetroot & tomato
    Originally posted by Need2bthrifty
    Sounds lovely, I think the smell of garlic/tomato/herbs cooking is one of my favourite smells. I need to go through my fridge tomorrow and sort out my meal plan.

Kittie - do you think you would like oatmeal soup? I good handful into veg soups works well and "leek porridge" is lovely. This recipe is very similiar to one I make (that was my Gran's) https://www.skinnytaste.com/irish-oatmeal-leek-soup/
    GC YTD 2018- 605/940
    • pineapple
    • By pineapple 11th Mar 18, 7:01 PM
    • 6,222 Posts
    • 29,769 Thanks
    pineapple
    PN you need to clear your inbox!
    Meanwhile I am just waiting for my roasties to crisp up to go with my succulent roast lamb. If someone would like to lob a sticky toffee pudding my way, that would just finish things off nicely.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

70Posts Today

2,601Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Penalty yes but time someone was sent off for these wrestling moves #WorldCup

• Follow Martin