Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    • 3,758Posts
    • 24,251Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Three)
    • 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    Cooking for one (Mark Three) 13th Jan 18 at 8:48 AM
    Welcome to Cooking one (Mark Three), time to get a shiny new thread up and running. The link to "Cooking for one (Mark Two)" can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73708876&posted=1#post73708876

Cooking For One
    13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?
    Last edited by caronc; 13-01-2018 at 8:51 AM.
    GC - Feb18 £68/£120, Mar £104/£150, Apr £164/£200, May £54/£120
    GC YTD 2018- £445/£710
Page 79
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 10th Mar 18, 2:53 PM
    • 3,611 Posts
    • 5,393 Thanks
    bouicca21
    It was Hardly nasty. Clumsy humour at worst.
    No, it was plain nasty.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 10th Mar 18, 3:05 PM
    • 6,137 Posts
    • 9,702 Thanks
    Farway
    Sun peeping out, GW watched, now sorting out my tomato seeds for sowing, probably tomorrow if it dries up a bit [The bag of compost is in the garage]

Lunch was cheese etc.

Splashed some L & P sauce into the SC stew, couldn't resist a stir

My parcel was undamaged, contents now on charge. Battery booster just in case car plays up again

Due to rain more family history searching. Now here's a site you may want to explore on a wet day. Old 1850 on maps, searchable by county / district, plus you can have modern map side by side, find your house, put X on it, read across & see what was there before. Explains why the bottom of our road floods, the village pump was there

Hosted at National library of Scotland, no idea why

https://maps.nls.uk/os/25inch-england-and-wales/
    • gt568
    • By gt568 10th Mar 18, 3:21 PM
    • 1,652 Posts
    • 2,747 Thanks
    gt568
    No, it was plain nasty.
    Originally posted by bouicca21
    Not what I saw and the poster has a solid posting history devoid of nastiness.
    Down with the signature fascists!!
    • moneyonmymindsam
    • By moneyonmymindsam 10th Mar 18, 4:56 PM
    • 1,406 Posts
    • 4,275 Thanks
    moneyonmymindsam
    Hi Can anyone offer any advice, Last night I cooked some chicken and what was left - today I have made this into a simple Chinese style curry.

There is a lot of curry tbh. Is this ok to freeze? I suppose I would re-cook from frozen batches via the microwave (?) Not sure if i will get ill from this? or is this perfectly safe to do. Chicken was fresh friday.

Any advice gratefully received and apologies for the stupidity not much of a cook .
    Emergency Fund Challenge
    • pineapple
    • By pineapple 10th Mar 18, 5:32 PM
    • 6,196 Posts
    • 29,740 Thanks
    pineapple
    So far as I am aware (please don't sue me if you get ill!) it is OK to freeze. In fact - as I understand it - you can even refreeze meat that has been previously frozen - AFTER it has been cooked. Just make sure it is piping hot - to the point of bubbly even.
    Don't know if your curry contains rice but I have never been happy with the texture once frozen.
    Last edited by pineapple; 10-03-2018 at 5:35 PM.
    • moneyonmymindsam
    • By moneyonmymindsam 10th Mar 18, 5:35 PM
    • 1,406 Posts
    • 4,275 Thanks
    moneyonmymindsam
    Thanks pineapple

I think I will chance it as I would probably be eating it from the freezer fairly soon, like within a week or two and as long as its piping hot when I eat it I guess the risk would be minimal.

Thanks for your help.
    Sam x
    Emergency Fund Challenge
    • BucksLady
    • By BucksLady 10th Mar 18, 6:11 PM
    • 428 Posts
    • 1,303 Thanks
    BucksLady
    When I was out shopping this morning, there was a sign outside the butchers and it read ;

Come on it's Mother's Day
    Treat 'the old gal' to a roast

Oh my goodness, I would love to know whether there were any comments from customers and exactly what they were lol
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 10th Mar 18, 6:19 PM
    • 15,589 Posts
    • 43,310 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    My mother would be quite happy with having a roast - if someone else cooked it for her.

But call her "old gal" and you'd be living rather dangerously.

I once referred to her as a "little old lady" semi-jokingly. There was a reaction! To which the comment was "Look - you're little, you're old and you're a lady" (well - if sometimes in the case of the latter...ie if you're not remembering she's a Scorpio....).
    Like Frankie said - I did it my way.
    It's MY life......
    • gt568
    • By gt568 10th Mar 18, 6:34 PM
    • 1,652 Posts
    • 2,747 Thanks
    gt568
    Hi Can anyone offer any advice, Last night I cooked some chicken and what was left - today I have made this into a simple Chinese style curry.

There is a lot of curry tbh. Is this ok to freeze? I suppose I would re-cook from frozen batches via the microwave (?) Not sure if i will get ill from this? or is this perfectly safe to do. Chicken was fresh friday.

Any advice gratefully received and apologies for the stupidity not much of a cook .
    Originally posted by moneyonmymindsam
    Perfectly safe to feeze. If you don't want it, send it to be and I will scoff the lot.
    Down with the signature fascists!!
    • BucksLady
    • By BucksLady 10th Mar 18, 6:38 PM
    • 428 Posts
    • 1,303 Thanks
    BucksLady
    [QUOTE=moneyistooshorttomention;74003814

But call her "old gal" and you'd be living rather dangerously.

.[/QUOTE]

Haha, I reckon a few people might view it that way The guy who owns the shop is generally a bit of a joker, but his products are top class.
    • moneyonmymindsam
    • By moneyonmymindsam 10th Mar 18, 6:52 PM
    • 1,406 Posts
    • 4,275 Thanks
    moneyonmymindsam
    Thanks for all the help. It was delicious and well worth the efforts so very pleased but enough for a couple of freezer meals as well would be a bonus!!

Sam
    Emergency Fund Challenge
    • moneyonmymindsam
    • By moneyonmymindsam 10th Mar 18, 6:56 PM
    • 1,406 Posts
    • 4,275 Thanks
    moneyonmymindsam
    Perfectly safe to feeze. If you don't want it, send it to be and I will scoff the lot.
    Originally posted by gt568
    Plenty Here
    Emergency Fund Challenge
    • Farway
    • By Farway 10th Mar 18, 7:02 PM
    • 6,137 Posts
    • 9,702 Thanks
    Farway
    I'm exceedingly surprised by your reaction. AP is a regular contibutor to this thread and you should therefore understand that comments made by Mr S, would have caused great hurt. In fact it has actually been pointed out that they did! Mr S hadn't even read the post AP had written - he skimmed it and made a post accordingly. There is nothing funny or jokey about that!
    Originally posted by ManofLeisure
    I am also exceedingly surprised by your reaction, PN is a long time contributor to this forum and you should therefore understand that your sharp repost may cause her to be very upset

Please do not reference this matter again
    • Farway
    • By Farway 10th Mar 18, 7:05 PM
    • 6,137 Posts
    • 9,702 Thanks
    Farway
    Back to normal forum now please

The SC stew turned out fine, and just enough dumplings to mop up the gravy. Plenty left to fight another day, could be tomorrow because so far I've not got a clue for that far ahead
    • kittie
    • By kittie 10th Mar 18, 7:39 PM
    • 11,953 Posts
    • 74,723 Thanks
    kittie
    I am really sad mrA, similar happened to me on the widows thread. I wish you all the very best, it was lovely to have you here, a real gentleman

Farway, what do you use for your hm yogurt starter?
    Last edited by kittie; 10-03-2018 at 7:44 PM.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 10th Mar 18, 7:43 PM
    • 15,589 Posts
    • 43,310 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Apji

Here's hoping you feel able to return to the thread at some point.

It's such a shame a few posts on here have been less-than-sympathetic.

I'm glad if we've been able to help you in any way - and fingers crossed you will feel free to come back on here at some point and keep us updated on how things are going for you.

Take care.
    Like Frankie said - I did it my way.
    It's MY life......
    • kittie
    • By kittie 10th Mar 18, 8:04 PM
    • 11,953 Posts
    • 74,723 Thanks
    kittie
    Laptop is going off now, just found channel 81, talking pictures. Going to watch mr Polly. Os life in the slow lane
    • kittie
    • By kittie 11th Mar 18, 7:43 AM
    • 11,953 Posts
    • 74,723 Thanks
    kittie
    PN come back, please come back. The thread is quiet without you and I, for one, miss your frequent posts
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 11th Mar 18, 8:28 AM
    • 62,428 Posts
    • 365,546 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    PN come back, please come back. The thread is quiet without you and I, for one, miss your frequent posts
    Originally posted by kittie
    I didn't go ...I was just quieter than usual, although, to be honest, if you'd not called my name I'd have continued to be quiet/er .... for a long time.

Had dinner out too Wasn't overly impressed with that! But it was passable.
    • Need2bthrifty
    • By Need2bthrifty 11th Mar 18, 9:39 AM
    • 1,056 Posts
    • 9,112 Thanks
    Need2bthrifty
    Morning All

Iím beginning to wonder what Iíll find when I log in here each morning

Mr AP, I for one am sorry to read that you are leaving the thread, I enjoyed reading your posts and was quietly applauding your culinary progress Ė gone is the man living on takeaways and jacket potatoes, cometh the man breakfasting on home-made vegetable frittata, well done you

Caronc, I hope the birthday celebrations went well, your menu sounded delicious.

Wort Ė I hope you had a nice day out and Iíll be interested to hear what cocktails were consumed Ė just cause Iím nosey and always looking for something new to try out. Last one I tried was an expresso martini, very enjoyable with the bonus of a caffeine hit

Food-wise yesterdayís meals ended up filling a hole but nothing too exciting. Lunch was spicy split pea soup from the freezer and for tea I made something I havenít had for years, a simple fish custard had with some new potatoes and steamed broccoli.

My freezer soup stocks are starting to get a bit low so will get on and make a big pot of vegetable broth.
    Keep Moving = 282.50mls/1000mls @ week 15

GC - Apr - £55.82/£80.00, Mar - £59.87/£60.00
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,002Posts Today

7,264Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin