Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    • 3,781Posts
    • 24,315Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Three)
    • 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    Cooking for one (Mark Three) 13th Jan 18 at 8:48 AM
    Welcome to Cooking one (Mark Three), time to get a shiny new thread up and running. The link to "Cooking for one (Mark Two)" can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73708876&posted=1#post73708876

Cooking For One
    13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?
    Last edited by caronc; 13-01-2018 at 8:51 AM.
    GC - Feb18 68/120, Mar 104/150, Apr 164/200, May 96/120
    GC YTD 2018- 487/710
Page 76
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 8th Mar 18, 10:36 AM
    • 62,470 Posts
    • 365,891 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Cook up a soup and freeze it.
    Originally posted by pineapple
    I'll admit to not really being a fan of soup. I'm happy to have a "chunky soup" tin in the cupboard - or to choose a nice sounding one on a pub menu (if it's cheaper than a main meal and comes with a hunk of bread) ....but I'm not really a "fan" at all....

I've made some, but one bowl's enough.
    • pineapple
    • By pineapple 8th Mar 18, 10:46 AM
    • 6,198 Posts
    • 29,748 Thanks
    pineapple
    Wouldnt surprise me - as at least some of their clothes leave an awful lot to be desired these days.
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    Back in the days when I lived within sensible travelling distance of an M&S, I used to like their Per Una range - which imo offered a bit more style than their standard stuff. Don't know if that is still the same but I can usually pick out a Per Una garment on the charity rails in the blink of an eye . I have a Per Una full length fake sheepskin coat. It was an outrageous price at the time but I must have had it over 15 years and it still looks the business. Even better, you can machine wash it and it comes out like new. It dries really quickly as well.
    Last edited by pineapple; 08-03-2018 at 10:54 AM.
    • pineapple
    • By pineapple 8th Mar 18, 10:50 AM
    • 6,198 Posts
    • 29,748 Thanks
    pineapple
    I'll admit to not really being a fan of soup. I'm happy to have a "chunky soup" tin in the cupboard - or to choose a nice sounding one on a pub menu (if it's cheaper than a main meal and comes with a hunk of bread) ....but I'm not really a "fan" at all....

I've made some, but one bowl's enough.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Yes, if you are like me, you have to be 'in the mood'. But you could add some bacon or butter beans or something to make it more hearty and interesting.
    Last edited by pineapple; 08-03-2018 at 10:55 AM.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 8th Mar 18, 10:51 AM
    • 11,975 Posts
    • 74,888 Thanks
    kittie
    Are you buying the bungalow you viewed kittie?
    Originally posted by caronc
    No, gorgeous build, super builder but I did the pre-prep and delved into planning permission, noted that a neighbour objected. Had a good look down that dividing very tatty tall fence which belonged to neighbour, saw a long row of new leylandii growing fast on their side, tops just about visible if looking hard, 3 feet from actual bungalow side. I turned it down. Up for sale one day and sold the next but trouble in waiting. I have just looked at another area, opposite direction, same distance from shop, cheaper area but still lovely. Now waiting for properties to come up for sale
    • caronc
    • By caronc 8th Mar 18, 10:57 AM
    • 3,781 Posts
    • 24,315 Thanks
    caronc
    No, gorgeous build, super builder but I did the pre-prep and delved into planning permission, noted that a neighbour objected. Had a good look down that dividing very tatty tall fence which belonged to neighbour, saw a long row of new leylandii growing fast on their side, tops just about visible if looking hard, 3 feet from actual bungalow side. I turned it down. Up for sale one day and sold the next but trouble in waiting. I have just looked at another area, opposite direction, same distance from shop, cheaper area but still lovely. Now waiting for properties to come up for sale
    Originally posted by kittie
    I did wonder when you mentioned the leylandii & rickety fence. Hopefully the "one for you" will come up soon.
    GC YTD 2018- 487/710
    • caronc
    • By caronc 8th Mar 18, 11:13 AM
    • 3,781 Posts
    • 24,315 Thanks
    caronc
    Root veg stew and dumplings PN or in a giant YP?
    GC YTD 2018- 487/710
    • wort
    • By wort 8th Mar 18, 11:18 AM
    • 765 Posts
    • 10,147 Thanks
    wort
    I had a banana before yoga, and took a packet of smoky bacon crisp to the quiz to have with the wine!
    Tea was the salmon with sweet chilli sauce, garlic mash mange tout,broccoli and carrot.
    With a yogurt and seeds in it.
    Woke to a smattering of snow this morning, though just a few miles up the road my friend has an inch or two.
    I've had 2 toast and cheese spread, not sure what to have for tea today, maybe pasta??
    I can't usually buy ready meals, but curry or similar spicy things are my thing and tbh I can't replicate the flavours the same at home.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 8th Mar 18, 12:57 PM
    • 1,814 Posts
    • 12,539 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I've had a gluten free roll toasted with some marg, romaine lettuce and tomatoes as well as 2 oranges.

Strange. I'm noticing that I feel a lot less hungry trying to avoid gluten.

I got a lovely butternut squash in my veg box and I am going to make roasted butternut squash chili/coconut milk soup tonight.

Not sure about lunch. We have to take our dogs to the vet this afternoon so will make something before I go out.
    2018: Simplify your life
    Books Read 24/60
    • kittie
    • By kittie 8th Mar 18, 1:14 PM
    • 11,975 Posts
    • 74,888 Thanks
    kittie
    lunch is out the window, I mean the plan. Been to the allotment, got carried away weeding and was starving when I came back, a smidgen away from toast and jam but grabbed a small rm and popped it into the oven with part roasted parsnips. Will be having that with shredded savoy, which kept lovely from new, I close wrapped it.

In the meantime I have had pudding, stewed apple yogurt and almonds and 4 soaked apricots. I grabbed a frozen blackcurrant pie, now defrosting in the sun because I fancy a slice this afternoon. No soup today but lamb chop and brocolli and caulie last meal. I had to throw a polybagged caulie floret out, got brown. The ones in the vac jars are pristine white

I feel satisfied today, nice work on the allotment
    • pineapple
    • By pineapple 8th Mar 18, 4:30 PM
    • 6,198 Posts
    • 29,748 Thanks
    pineapple
    No, gorgeous build, super builder
    Am I the only one who at first linked the two?
    I think I need help (or a tasty builder).
    • Farway
    • By Farway 8th Mar 18, 4:36 PM
    • 6,145 Posts
    • 9,716 Thanks
    Farway
    Bit late clocking in today, faffing around AM sorting out "fuss free" energy supplier transfer, after that it was mooching in 4sda & w/rose. Nothing much, topped up with more on offer cheese otherwise nothing very tempting

Breakfast was HM yoghurt & honey

Lunch was last of the YS ham, with salady bits in a sarnie

Dinner will be last of the M &S rm 3 for a tenner offer. This one looks more promising, roast pork loin with spuds, carrots & cabbage. 288 calories. The calorie cops will be after you PN
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 8th Mar 18, 5:18 PM
    • 15,607 Posts
    • 43,334 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Today was spent off in "bigger town" - at the dentists (plus other chores). Just routine visit - job done, but confirmed my opinion (again) that I've got my eyes open for a different dental practice that will suit me better and there is a vague possibility I'm waiting on to see-what-transpires and if it does work out = good. If it doesn't work out = I shall have to re-examine just which practice I'm with - in order to try and get one more like I'm used to.

Was already planning on treating myself to main meal out at lunchtime - my idea of compensation to myself for all that. Hungry by the time I got to "bigger town" - so started with my flat white coffee and a slice of orange polenta cake (as I was hungry already). Apres the dentists - lunch was vegetable tagine, rice, salad and a glass of wine may just have slipped in there. Just as well on the extra "reward for effort" front - as I had rather anticipated my delivery I had been firmly promised for 2nd day in a row would be with me - but chucked around/package damaged/etc/etc (true enough - it was).

The laugh for the day at least - amongst couple of conversations with complete strangers around-and-about (as is pretty normal in this area) was man on bus near me and we got chatting. Subject went on to shortages of food in shops recently (due to snow) - and I mentioned my large stock of food I have in (cue for one jokey marriage proposal from him) and how I often make my own bread (cue for second jokey marriage proposal from him).

Oh well - that brings the lifetime tally, I think, to 4 serious ones (or equivalent assumptions on their part) and 2 jokey ones (the jokey ones were both in the last year). As you can tell - all duly turned down over the years....

Cue for me thinking "Betcha there wouldnt even have been a jokey one from him if he'd known just how I eat normally".
    Like Frankie said - I did it my way.
    It's MY life......
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 8th Mar 18, 5:30 PM
    • 15,607 Posts
    • 43,334 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Apji - while I think about it re your removal. If you do have the additional extra of paying removal people to do your packing for you, then a couple of points:

a. I did that when I moved here and price was pretty much what I expected - ie 300.

b. The "but" is I landed up finding it was a different removal firm to the one I'd actually booked that turned up. The two men duly started packing (and yep...they do work at pretty lightning speed) and the "but" is my last house is a two-storey house and one of them started up chatting to me whilst he was packing and I was wondering a little bit just why he was being so chatty. The other one was packing downstairs whilst no. 1 was doing this.

You can probably guess the rest - and I don't think that was a "genuine conversation" at all by no. 1. I think it was one designed to distract me from what no. 2 was up to downstairs.

So I got to this end and off they went and I unpacked my stuff over subsequent days - and then I realised I was minus some full bottles of spirits that I owned. Nope - they've quite definitely never ever turned up this end from that day to this. I knew, of an absolute certainty, pretty much to the inch where that booze had been sitting downstairs - as I'd gone through my house with a pretty fine toothcomb decluttering in order to minimise the amount I was bringing with me - and I was definitely bringing that booze with me.

It was a bit of hassle to do so - but I did get the boss of removal firm to pay for that stolen booze - after a "discussion" or two.....

From this - if there's going to be both you and brother-in-law there whilst they pack = make sure you are near one of them and b-i-l is near the other one of them. Just in case you get ones like that (ie fake chats for distraction purposes).....
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 08-03-2018 at 5:33 PM.
    It's MY life......
    • caronc
    • By caronc 8th Mar 18, 7:37 PM
    • 3,781 Posts
    • 24,315 Thanks
    caronc
    Good evening everyone,
    I've had "posting " gremlins, so hopefully this won't refuse to submit either!
    Lunch was LOs as planned and I've taken beef stew & dumplings from the freezer for dinner.
    Tomorrow needs to be a cooking/cleaning day so I can get organised for Saturday night. Thankfully my shopping arrived as ordered.
    GC YTD 2018- 487/710
    • caronc
    • By caronc 8th Mar 18, 7:38 PM
    • 3,781 Posts
    • 24,315 Thanks
    caronc
    Yeh it posted
    GC YTD 2018- 487/710
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 8th Mar 18, 9:52 PM
    • 62,470 Posts
    • 365,891 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    ... and another slice of cake. It's better than any 1 cake I could buy ... but it's too easy and has too many calories, so I won't be making too many.

I tend to re-discover something, make it, love it, then make it 2-3x, then not again for 3-4 years.... I've always been like that
    • kittie
    • By kittie 9th Mar 18, 7:50 AM
    • 11,975 Posts
    • 74,888 Thanks
    kittie
    money!! you really have spooked me re removals packing but at the same time I am grateful, forewarned etc. I am now making a list of items that I will be moving myself

I am on the ball today wrt food, woke up like the lark as normal, ate granola, dried raspberries, walnuts , hemp, nice large cup of tea and have prepared for the main meals today. An egg is out and will be boiled at 10ish. Yay all vegetables chopped and soup is cooking now. Soup is carrot with shallots and garlic, butter and rapeseed to saute, roasted cumin seeds, some curry powder and a bouquet garni. I did all the chopping, all in one, in my food processor wjhich I only needed to rinse and is now away. I decided to add some lentils, to boost thickness and goodness

Last meal is very tummy friendly and will be cooked in the timed rice cooker. Basmati, dried soya, seaweed sprinkle, umboshi, ginger, sweet potato, celery. Some brocolli added on top 15 minutes before ready, will steam on top

Lunch carrot soup and a cheese toastie, very appealing to me tbh and am much hoping to get a cycle ride in before lunch and the rain at 1. The housework mojo has faded a bit but I know which two rooms to tackle when it appears again
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 9th Mar 18, 7:52 AM
    • 62,470 Posts
    • 365,891 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I had a slice of cake for breakfast. It's nice and moist and lovely.....

• By moneyistooshorttomention 9th Mar 18, 8:52 AM
    • 15,607 Posts
    • 43,334 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    money!! you really have spooked me re removals packing but at the same time I am grateful, forewarned etc. I am now making a list of items that I will be moving myself
    As you say "forewarned is forearmed". I'm sure there are a lot of honest packers/removal people out there. But my suspicion is that many more people have had goods stolen during removals than realise that fact (particularly if things have been packed by the firm for them).

Most people probably forget they own whatever-it-is/think another member of their family must have chucked it out/don't realise until quite some time later when they think "I know I've got a wotsit" and look for it - but they think they themselves are responsible one way or another for something having happened to the wotsit in the intervening years.

I knew those bottles were in "that" cupboard on "that" side of "that" shelf in my last house and had quite clearly decided they were coming with me. There's no-one else living with me that might have decided to drink them/dispose of them/etc - hence I could be 100% certain I still had them/should have had them.

I'd taken the precaution of putting my jewellery/money/paperwork elsewhere and those things came over to Wales in my friends' car with me.

Be aware that, even if you pick a firm belonging to that association some of them belong to (BARS??) there will probably be a disclaimer in the small print about any claims you put in for "loss"/breakages about having to do so within a certain time. Think it was 7 days? There's a pretty safe chance (in their opinion) that most people won't finish unpacking during the first week. I think I realised about 10 days after moving here? Hence I had to argue to get payment for that from them (as they quoted me that small print).

So - I was lazy about unpacking everything promptly (by a few days) - but I "knew" that "Everything should be unpacked instantly - like within 24 hours" - because that was my childhood memories of what I'd seen whenever a move happened. Hence I probably got everything unpacked quicker than a lot would...if not as fast as I know I "should" iykwim
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 09-03-2018 at 8:57 AM.
    It's MY life......
    • kittie
    • By kittie 9th Mar 18, 9:23 AM
    • 11,975 Posts
    • 74,888 Thanks
    kittie
    more grateful than not, money it has given me plenty of time to make that list
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,700Posts Today

7,662Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin