Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    • 3,794Posts
    • 24,361Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Three)
    • 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    Cooking for one (Mark Three) 13th Jan 18 at 8:48 AM
    Welcome to Cooking one (Mark Three), time to get a shiny new thread up and running. The link to "Cooking for one (Mark Two)" can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73708876&posted=1#post73708876

Cooking For One
    13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?
    Last edited by caronc; 13-01-2018 at 8:51 AM.
    GC - Feb18 £68/£120, Mar £104/£150, Apr £164/£200, May £96/£120
    GC YTD 2018- £487/£710
Page 74
    • Farway
    • By Farway 7th Mar 18, 10:13 AM
    • 6,153 Posts
    • 9,737 Thanks
    Farway
    Apji, another tip, visit on a weekend to check how many cars are parked, would it bother the person to have cars everywhere, including on the pavement?

Bit of a dull day, staying in a doing some "office work", plus someone on one of my FB groups posted a photo, and I know my granddad worked there way back around 1900, then found I had not fully researched around that time. Today's Sherlocking job

Yesterday's M & S salmon RM was excellent, did not look much of a portion but it was filling. I would buy again, but only on offer, too expensive otherwise IMO

Breakfast was HM yoghurt with honey
    Lunch will be another slice of L's YS ham, in a sarnie using W/meal bread, tom,
    cuc & lettuce.

Have to get the healthy bits in before tonight's dinner of M & S chicken in a Yorkshire pud, all 650 calories of it

I thought it was a dinner in a yorkie, but now I have it out of the package I see it is not, chicken cubes & spuds mainly. more spud than chicken.
    Luckily I have the defrosted LO Xmas turkey, so that plus steamed frozen mixed veg should make it more of a varied meal
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 7th Mar 18, 10:25 AM
    • 4,776 Posts
    • 47,173 Thanks
    mcculloch29

MTSTM - does your Mum have a debit card? Like you I order stuff for my Dad and as you say it's right faff getting and then banking cheques. I eventually set him up with his own Amazon account and if buying for him used that one instead. I've popped my mobile on it so any delivery texts etc. still come to me.
    Originally posted by caronc
    For anyone with a Smartphone who has registered for online banking you can upload photos of your cheques via the app to deposit in your account. Barclays offer this, and Halifax have just started offering it. Others may also do this.
    Not all cheques are bankable, (I couldn’t bank a premium bond win) but I banked a Lloyds’ cheque into my Halifax account with no problems.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • wort
    • By wort 7th Mar 18, 10:29 AM
    • 769 Posts
    • 10,172 Thanks
    wort
    Definitely a rest day Mr AP ,I will put some washing in first though, I need to do my nails as they are in a state, I've had a shower and washed my hair so feel a bit more normal, I'm a very messy painter, though I try hard not to be , it was on my legs under my pants!
    I couldn't get to sleep even with all windows open ,as i couldn't fully shut the bedroom door as it was still tacky.
    I will lift salmon out for tea, as I've got yoga and the quiz tonight, Wednesdays come round quick!!
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 7th Mar 18, 10:35 AM
    • 11,996 Posts
    • 75,081 Thanks
    kittie
    Thats me done with cleaning for today, the bottoming, deep cleaning and over 2 days have used 7 cloths and for the paintwork, auro paintwork cleaner is superb.
    https://www.greenshop.co.uk/auro-435-varnish-glaze-cleaner-500ml.html

I have had the same bottle for 8 years, it uses 1/2 tsp in half a bowlful. Very satisfying to get cloths that look grubby afterwards. I won`t have to do the paintwark again this year, just dusting. The inside windows left the cloths a bit grey too, not shameful just glad to see it tbh, not wasted work. I finished by being hot so was good exercise

Two small pizzas are assembled on enamel plates and I am about to enjoy the morning with a drink, sitting inside in the sun, feeling satisfied
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 7th Mar 18, 10:38 AM
    • 62,521 Posts
    • 366,261 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    M & S chicken in a Yorkshire pud, all 650 calories of it

I thought it was a dinner in a yorkie, but now I have it out of the package I see it is not, chicken cubes & spuds mainly. more spud than chicken.
    Luckily I have the defrosted LO Xmas turkey, so that plus steamed frozen mixed veg should make it more of a varied meal
    Originally posted by Farway
    I've been telling people for years "have you SEEN how many calories are in a big yorkie?" - it's often "just 300", so if you fill it mostly with veggies and meat it's a really low calorie and filling meal while feeling you're eating like a pig.

I'd not buy one ready done in a shop though, it's a rip off for what you get. I bet even buying empty big yorkies and filling them yourself would yield better results.

A simple 7" sponge tin is the right size for a giant yorkie if you ever fancy making them yourself.

An empty giant yorkie costs 40-80p depending on what shops you've access to (e.g. 40p each at 4sda, £1.65 for a pack of 2 Aunt Bessie's at full price) ... a pack of, say, L1dl/4ldi £3.33 chicken breasts has about 6-7 in there and half of one would be more than you'd get pre-packaged, so ~25p. Then some veggies and gravy, depending on what's on offer this week at L1dl/4ldi. Say 20p for that. So, for under £1 you can put your own together.

A Yorkie will typically weigh 110g, so a filled version at, say, might have about 175 grams of filling .... DIY and you can shove double that in it

I guess I'm just too tight to ever buy one, to be honest.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 7th Mar 18, 10:49 AM
    • 1,814 Posts
    • 12,539 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I haven't had anything yet, just two glasses of water. I was moving stuff around, writing lists, doing the vacuuming and having a bath.

I am really low on food until the shopping gets here so I'm having an Amy's Vegetable Lasagne with some broccoli and peas for brunch around 11.
    2018: Simplify your life
    Books Read 24/60
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 7th Mar 18, 11:01 AM
    • 62,521 Posts
    • 366,261 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I can't get giant yorkies out of my head now ..... I've got milk/flour, but ran out of eggs 2 days ago.... grrrrrrrrrrr
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 7th Mar 18, 11:25 AM
    • 15,633 Posts
    • 43,376 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Apji - I'd try and keep a bit of a mental "step back" in your position re the son's input (or otherwise) towards his mothers potential move. I get that you are concerned re how things are in that respect. But, ultimately, it's down to Mary how much she does/doesnt have him involved in this. Even though he sounds like he's quite high-flying and so, presumably, on good money - there are mothers that have sons that will be taking account of their own interests (ie even if it is at their expense of their parents' interests) and rather concerned with an "inheritance or otherwise".

Mary may or may not have a basically decent person for a son. If he isn't a decent person - she may or may not be aware of this fact.

It's possible he'd be bearing his own personal interests in mind - and, if so, try and dissuade her from doing this. She may or may not be aware of this. If he is - and she is aware of it - she may be deliberately not telling him much/if anything until "after the deed is done". That - to avoid any possible input he might give/but she doesnt want him to....

You'll know Mary and just how realistic/clear-sighted (or otherwise) she is about things and we don't obviously.

Time will tell whether he is someone that:

- interferes for his sake

- interferes for her sake

or has learnt to basically step back and go: "Do whatever you want to mother...." (yep...that's the one I do - my mother has trained both my father and myself to go "Do whatever you want to/spend whatever you want to...").

So - how are you feeling now about your own forthcoming move? (apart from "Blimmin' pernickety buyer" considerations).
    WAY TO GO IRELAND! - WELCOME TO THE 21ST CENTURY

• caronc
    • By caronc 7th Mar 18, 1:16 PM
    • 3,794 Posts
    • 24,361 Thanks
    caronc
    Good afternoon everyone,
    My hair's been washed and dried/straightened and I've been for a wander round the block. Narrowly missed getting soaked on the way back as it started to pour when I was just a few metres from home. Made it back just slightly damp round the edges.
    Lunch is going to be the Indian stir fry I've been mithering on about planning to make since the weekend. I'm trying to ignore the call of a giant YP for dinner tonight, I need to make something to go in it and did have a "gravy dinner" last night. I've a couple of plump chicken wings in the freezer so I think these will be getting roasted with some veg and a baked sweet potato for an easy "bung it in" meal.
    GC YTD 2018- £487/£710
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 7th Mar 18, 1:29 PM
    • 3,624 Posts
    • 5,419 Thanks
    bouicca21
    Off topic but Caronc you have no idea how jealous I am at the thought that someone actually has to straighten their hair. I'd kill just for a bit of a wave.
    • BucksLady
    • By BucksLady 7th Mar 18, 1:31 PM
    • 428 Posts
    • 1,303 Thanks
    BucksLady
    [QUOTE=MrAPJI;73988111. This morning I've heard that exchange of contracts will be a week on Friday and completion will be at the end of April - that's fine with me .

[/QUOTE]

That's fantastic news xx
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 7th Mar 18, 1:34 PM
    • 15,633 Posts
    • 43,376 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Lunch today was cba - ie two types of cereals and some fruit with milk, followed by avocado toast with tomatoes and drink of mylk.

Dinner - havent even thought. Still waiting for that delivery I was due - possibly last Friday and definitely by the end of last week. The firm have been told they need to change some of the wording on their emails - as it's literally impossible to do what they say in writing they most definitely will do re deliveries (ie even if the weather is just fine - their system hasnt been set-up to do what they say it will do). Yep...and I'd discovered Google Reviews already

I'm on a promise (absolutely firmly/definitely/etc/etc) that it will turn up today without fail. The trouble with deliveries is that one then doesnt feel able to crack on and do anything much else whilst waiting in for them. I've got news for them....if it hasn't turned up by this evening = tough...I'm going to the cinema with friends anyway, as arranged. That does mean I won't be available if they try ringing me for directions to my (somewhat tucked-away) house....

• caronc
    • By caronc 7th Mar 18, 1:56 PM
    • 3,794 Posts
    • 24,361 Thanks
    caronc
    Off topic but Caronc you have no idea how jealous I am at the thought that someone actually has to straighten their hair. I'd kill just for a bit of a wave.
    Originally posted by bouicca21
    Off topic - don't think that's a known thing on here
    Of I course I would love to have poker straight frizz-free hair

Fingers crossed your delivery turns up MTSTM

Great news re the contract change - hope all goes smoothly MrAPJI
    GC YTD 2018- £487/£710
    • kittie
    • By kittie 7th Mar 18, 2:04 PM
    • 11,996 Posts
    • 75,081 Thanks
    kittie
    hm pizza on enamel plates just does not work. They completely stuck on and I have spent quite a time, soaking and scraping, having eaten both toppings which were nice. So cba later and oaty/berry/yogurt/almond ambrosia here I come, my last meal.

Been hailing here and now sunny, got to sit in the sun rather than be on my laptop, love it in the sun here

btw, bungalow I viewed yesterday is now stc, went on sale yesterday. I`ll be watching how the leylandii next door take over, the dozens of new ones, planted by an obviously disgruntled neighbour in a big house. Be nice if they cut them but doubt they will as the 6` rickety fence was obviously not high enough and will very rapidly start to fall down on the bungalow side. Developers will be long gone
    • Farway
    • By Farway 7th Mar 18, 3:20 PM
    • 6,153 Posts
    • 9,737 Thanks
    Farway
    Originally posted by bouicca21
    Just hair would be nice

Quick burst into garden to empty the tea pot, the sun's warm now, and my apricot tree is about to blossom [never had one apricot off it, ever ]. Spring is really any day here, cherry tree opposite is getting pink, the fuchsias yellow, with buds, ready to blossom. And now it is raining

No change on dinner plans, really lazy one of opening packs and heating through

All "office work" and Sherlocking completed for the day, time for a cuppa before getting oven on
    • wort
    • By wort 7th Mar 18, 3:33 PM
    • 769 Posts
    • 10,172 Thanks
    wort
    Bouicca - I know what you mean ,I've often wanted waves and curls but there are definite bonuses to having poker straight hair, I recent spa day saw me blow dried and ready to go in less than 5 mins all my 5 friends spent ages pulling their hair straight, then using straighteners.
    Well not very relaxing day , I ended up hoovering and putting curtains up, washing out and dried, lovely day here. My sister called as I was doing my nails with her dgd. Then her hubby called on his break from work.
    I've had a lunch of gfree crusty roll with ham salad, and a pear . I've just had a banana as I'm peckish,going to sit down for an hour in the conservatory with some music on now .
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • wort
    • By wort 7th Mar 18, 3:37 PM
    • 769 Posts
    • 10,172 Thanks
    wort
    Farway you must be in warmer climes than me.
    My cherry only just starting to sprout, I've got mini daffs out, and 2 rhododendrons in bud.
    Looks like the snow affected a few climbers and shrubs look a bit withered, hope they perk up again.
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 7th Mar 18, 3:51 PM
    • 15,633 Posts
    • 43,376 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Well - I know what dinner is going to be now - the delivery I was absolutely firmly promised today without fail hasn't happened/isn't going to happen. I now have an absolutely firm promise for tomorrow. A lot of all this clearly isn't down to The Weather - "words" have been had.

So dinner is going to be cba then - it would be so nice if I could still feel positive/creative whatever-everyone-else-gets-up-to (or doesnt). I'm still working on that one......

So guess it's going to be pasta with "sorta bolognaise" (so the last of that soya "mincemeat" again I guess/canned tomatoes/onions/every flavouring I can think of etc etc again).

The "other portion" worth might have to go in the freezer - as I'll be having my main meal out tomorrow (having arranged to be out for the day - so I still will be regardless of any difficulty the deliverers might have in finding my house). Some of this lateness is definitely down to them personally - so #shrugs...if they land up not being able to find my house....I'll just cancel/get a refund/buy again from another firm....

Next please.......

• caronc
    • By caronc 7th Mar 18, 5:31 PM
    • 3,794 Posts
    • 24,361 Thanks
    caronc
    Good evening everyone,
    Spring has definitely not sprung here, we've only got another blinking weather warning for snow/ice again for tonight/tomorrow!

I finally made a half quantity of https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/mar/03/leek-mushroom-kale-pea-stir-fry-the-new-vegan-meera-sodha for lunch today. It was very tasty and I've a portion that'll cover for lunch tomorrow. The only downside altough filling at the time, it wasn't very substantial so although fine for a light meal I wouldn't want it for a main with out adding a protein element to it.

I've resisted the temptation to have filled giant YP and have chicken wings defrosting for later.
    GC YTD 2018- £487/£710
    • Farway
    • By Farway 7th Mar 18, 7:09 PM
    • 6,153 Posts
    • 9,737 Thanks
    Farway
    Sorry to report the M & S giant Yorkie chicken thingy was just in the OK category

I did not like the taste of the mini chipolatas in there, and the sort of brownish jelly gunge was very off putting. I just ate it and thought never again.

On the plus side, steamed frozen veg was OK, as was LO Xmas turkey. Filled me up anyway & I will not need anything else to eat tonight

Just spotted a post by PN on another thread, boiled fruit cake. maybe after my weekend weigh in I will investigate further
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

158Posts Today

1,734Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin