Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    • 3,773Posts
    • 24,278Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Three)
    • 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    Cooking for one (Mark Three) 13th Jan 18 at 8:48 AM
    Welcome to Cooking one (Mark Three), time to get a shiny new thread up and running. The link to "Cooking for one (Mark Two)" can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73708876&posted=1#post73708876

Cooking For One
    13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?
    Last edited by caronc; 13-01-2018 at 8:51 AM.
    GC - Feb18 £68/£120, Mar £104/£150, Apr £164/£200, May £96/£120
    GC YTD 2018- £487/£710
Page 73
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 6th Mar 18, 10:10 AM
    • 62,446 Posts
    • 365,668 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    ....I said I would get her daily paper for her, but she ...always goes to the SM just after 10am when the first edition of the evening papers are delivered and will no doubt expect me to do the same.
    Originally posted by Need2bthrifty
    This is the trouble with any aspect of "caring" ... when they expect you to do it when they do it, how they do it .... not appreciating that you're doing it!

My dad used to get up the local paper shop for the papers first thing... once housebound I said I'd get them delivered .... I wasn't allowed, so then I had to get up early and get out there to get the papers at the same time ... even though the paperboy would've got them to us earlier! He begrudged the cost of delivery (pennies!! and you're about to die!!).
    • caronc
    • By caronc 6th Mar 18, 10:39 AM
    • 3,773 Posts
    • 24,278 Thanks
    caronc
    Good morning everyone,
    Raw and raining here this morning.
    My rash has continued to "walk" so one side of my face resembles a pumpkin this morning, thankfully I managed to get out to pick up the meds first thing so hopefully they'll kick in quite quickly. Especially as I'm struggling to wear my specs which limits my activities.

Food plans for today are still undecided depending on how I feel later. I had planned to have the Indian stir fry tonight but I'm not sure I CBA with the prep and standing needed.

MTSTM - does your Mum have a debit card? Like you I order stuff for my Dad and as you say it's right faff getting and then banking cheques. I eventually set him up with his own Amazon account and if buying for him used that one instead. I've popped my mobile on it so any delivery texts etc. still come to me.
    GC YTD 2018- £487/£710
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 6th Mar 18, 10:59 AM
    • 15,596 Posts
    • 43,329 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Caron - I'll have a think about that re debit card. I've always had to operate around the basis of my mother is very very "private" and it's so much so that she only lets me do a certain amount of stuff for her and know a certain amount of stuff about her. She'd be surprised that I know rather more than she's told me about some things. Will ponder it...

I know her tastes very well - but I don't have much idea about her as a person - and that's exactly how she likes it imo. She's a Scorpio - yep.....
    Like Frankie said - I did it my way.
    It's MY life......
    • pineapple
    • By pineapple 6th Mar 18, 11:02 AM
    • 6,198 Posts
    • 29,748 Thanks
    pineapple
    Good morning everyone,
    Raw and raining here this morning.
    My rash has continued to "walk" so one side of my face resembles a pumpkin this morning,
    Originally posted by caronc
    Pics or it isn't happening
    This morning I encountered the launderette owner while I was en route to the ATM so I could pay back the £20 I owed him. He was just popping out from the fish and chip cafe (which he also owns) next door and said he would leave the door open so I could leave it on a table. Which I duly did - along with a packet of biscuits for his trouble . There are many downsides to living here but security/low crime is one of the upsides. Some friends who live in a village near Bradford would be horrified. When they visited last Summer they were amazed when a neighbour spent a couple of days cleaning out his garage leaving a whole load of tools out overnight!
    Picked up a block of marzipan to nibble at (cos I is greedy ) and a joint of pork with scrummy crackling to cook while on economy rate at dawn tomorrow.
    Last edited by pineapple; 06-03-2018 at 11:17 AM.
    • pineapple
    • By pineapple 6th Mar 18, 11:16 AM
    • 6,198 Posts
    • 29,748 Thanks
    pineapple
    I'm off with Mary (my neighbour) to view an apartment. Her house is large and it's now a struggle to maintain. As she's well into her 80's, she's made the decision to sell-up and buy somewhere where there will be support if/when she needs it. I will be interested to see what it's like....
    Originally posted by MrAPJI
    For my sins I was a sheltered housing warden for 3 years - since when they have generally tightened up on the nature of the support and the charges. Things to ask about include the nature of the support - ie on site staff or peripatetic staff?, morning call checks? visits? Plus emergency support such a pull cord//pendant alarms, intercom through to call centre? Plus the charges for these. Also any service charge for maintenance of grounds/communal areas..
    • caronc
    • By caronc 6th Mar 18, 11:27 AM
    • 3,773 Posts
    • 24,278 Thanks
    caronc
    Pics or it isn't happening
    Originally posted by pineapple
    Not a hope, I don't "do" photos at the best of times never mind while I resemble something from a Zombie film

MTSTM - hopefully you can sell the benefits (and savings - no more stamps to be paid for to send cheques!) to your Mum
    GC YTD 2018- £487/£710
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 6th Mar 18, 1:43 PM
    • 15,596 Posts
    • 43,329 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    This is the trouble with any aspect of "caring" ... when they expect you to do it when they do it, how they do it .... not appreciating that you're doing it!

My dad used to get up the local paper shop for the papers first thing... once housebound I said I'd get them delivered .... I wasn't allowed, so then I had to get up early and get out there to get the papers at the same time ... even though the paperboy would've got them to us earlier! He begrudged the cost of delivery (pennies!! and you're about to die!!).
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Logic doesnt come into it sometimes when deciding about spending.

Just sat through a meeting where someone was saying "We can't do that - it might cost more". The "that" concerned probably amounts to about 30p per week. Ohmegawd the heavens will clearly fall in at the thought of all of 30p. I think they've "seen sense" on that.....

I think people have got different priorities and will spend-a-lot on some things because of "personal preferences" (even if they can't actually afford it). Others are just plain mean regardless...and would probably still be mean if as "rich as Croesus".

Have come to the conclusion that probably very few people sit down and logically decide:
    a. What is "reasonable" to spend (rather than peanuts or "gold-plated or gold for the sake of being flashy")

b. Can they logically reasonably afford it?

APJI
    Hope your neighbour gets sorted out with what she wants for a "final home" okay. I'm sure you'll have lots of useful input to give. It can be so much easier sometimes when it comes to other peoples housing can't it? - and we've probably all made mistakes as to what does (or doesn't) work for us personally and so can maybe "see things coming" sometimes that others can't from a more subjective viewpoint.

Just thankthelawd that it's only one persons personal preferences/needs to take account of here - so it should be relatively easy to resolve satisfactorily. I still remember going out with my parents on "inspection visits" of property for later life many years back - and it never did get resolved and they remained staying in the same place (ie because a place had to suit both his and hers preferences - and it's somewhere "everyone else wants to be too" and that put the prices up, so some places that should have been affordable/might have coped with two peoples set of preferences weren't affordable after all).
    It's MY life......
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 6th Mar 18, 1:56 PM
    • 15,596 Posts
    • 43,329 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Not a hope, I don't "do" photos at the best of times never mind while I resemble something from a Zombie film

MTSTM - hopefully you can sell the benefits (and savings - no more stamps to be paid for to send cheques!) to your Mum
    Caron - . The stamps are a valid point to make to my mother. That - and she gets the address of my house wrong one way or another every single time (well - a lot of it is in Welsh.....so it's understandable). Long since got used to people keeling over at the end of the phone and saying "How do you pronounce that? How do you spell that?" about my address.....

Sorry about the effect this illness is having on appearance. Yep...I know some people would think we're daft to be bothered about appearance - but I've long had a suspicion that you and I haven't had too dissimilar lives in some respects - and we do care about things like that.

I stopped accepting "photo requests" a while back if I can possibly help it and a couple of my most recent photos are probably illicit ones taken without my permission from way back in my "political animal/activist" days. One of which will feature me having spotted the hidden police?/whoever? photographer and leaping up and down waving at them. Well I couldn't manage a suitable "salute" from that distance - they were going to such lengths to stay hidden- and I was determined to make it plain "I've seen ya - and I know you shouldn't be doing that"....

EDIT; You know you've gotten a little bit older/the confidence that people from your Home City apparently have LOL when these days you'd be walking over to the hidden photographer and challenging them about it....
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 06-03-2018 at 2:23 PM.
    It's MY life......
    • Farway
    • By Farway 6th Mar 18, 3:13 PM
    • 6,141 Posts
    • 9,709 Thanks
    Farway
    Decided to walk to L's on way to volunteering. Car is OK but the day started fine & mild and I certainly need to do some walking, I use Runkeeper, surprised it clocked 1.7 miles, I assume it is accurate using GPS

L's provided the much needed salad top up after the snowed in days. Plus a pack of YS real, not "formed from" ham

Lunch was a some of the ham, with piccalilli in a sandwich. I've still got defrosted LO Xmas turkey to use, but the ham was just begging to be scoffed

Dinner will be one of my M & S offers, salmon with new spuds, broc & green beans. Looks nice, 330 calories and healthy stuff, plus saves me having to think any harder than setting nuke timer to 4 minutes

Money, these days there aren't hidden photographers from what I see, all out in the open, in uniform. But of course there are two sides now, cameras / video and sound recording also used by protesters, as discovered too late after shoving newspaper seller
    Last edited by Farway; 06-03-2018 at 3:18 PM.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 6th Mar 18, 3:47 PM
    • 3,773 Posts
    • 24,278 Thanks
    caronc
    Good afternoon,
    Well the Christmas chocolates have been cracked open. I was given a box of these by my son http://www.laudenchocolate.co.uk/ . Definitely on the pricey side (don't keel over PN ) and almost too beautiful to eat but oh my word are they delicious. They've been popped back in the cupboard out of the way so a) I don't mindlessly scoff them and b) I don't feel obliged to offer any visitors any.

I definitely think anti-virals are wonder drugs, my rash has stopped spreading and the whole area is marginally less swollen, thank goodness as I have visitors this weekend.

Lunch was a rather nice sandwich of smelly French cheese with the last of the coleslaw and a large tomato on the side. I can't say it was the most flavour some tomato but at least not "woolly" tasting like some you get. I'm still undecided re dinner tonight but I think it will going for an easy option again. Needless to say my meal plan for this week has now officially gone to pot!
    GC YTD 2018- £487/£710
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 6th Mar 18, 4:15 PM
    • 15,596 Posts
    • 43,329 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention

Money, these days there aren't hidden photographers from what I see, all out in the open, in uniform. But of course there are two sides now, cameras / video and sound recording also used by protesters, as discovered too late after shoving newspaper seller
    Originally posted by Farway
    Well - if it's out in the open these days it's one blessing imo.

Not someone hiding some way away behind a bush with a telephoto lens or popping up in your face from behind a hedge in front of the window of a sitting room you're in at a meeting....

The worst one being when a young policeman I'd got my eye on (as in many years back thinking "He's rather nice - wonder if he's got a girlfriend" as I was getting positive vibes from him along those lines) - and at least he was open/honest I suppose - as he turned round to me and said "I can't go out with someone like you....". Me?!!!! Law-abiding me that wasn't doing that much at all and didnt know he knew anything about me except my name?/etc/etc?. Coulda been a lot worse I guess....but that was quite a shock to be told that....when I was doing darn all imo....
    It's MY life......
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 6th Mar 18, 5:39 PM
    • 62,446 Posts
    • 365,668 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Well the Christmas chocolates have been cracked open. I was given a box of these ....Definitely on the pricey side (don't keel over PN
    I've never had "posh chocolates" and don't expect to ever have any.

In my book chocolate costs £3/Kg .... and "a treat" costs £6.50/Kg .... and "a special/annual/Xmas type of treat" costs under £8/Kg.

Those ones don't even dare to tell you the pack weight, so you can't work it out .... but I bet it's nigh on £100/Kg

I'd not dare eat them .... and what if you hated them??? How sad would that be???
    • caronc
    • By caronc 6th Mar 18, 6:07 PM
    • 3,773 Posts
    • 24,278 Thanks
    caronc
    I've never had "posh chocolates" and don't expect to ever have any.

In my book chocolate costs £3/Kg .... and "a treat" costs £6.50/Kg .... and "a special/annual/Xmas type of treat" costs under £8/Kg.

Those ones don't even dare to tell you the pack weight, so you can't work it out .... but I bet it's nigh on £100/Kg

I'd not dare eat them .... and what if you hated them??? How sad would that be???
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    I thought it might make you go PN , tbh not something I would ever buy for myself but my son knows my tastes so the risk of me not liking them was very, very small. I'm sure had that been the case he would have been happy to take them back from me to enjoy himself. Folk know there is little point in buying me everyday chocolate as with the exception of twix, rollo and galaxy minstrels I'm not keen and even then a pack would last me ages. As tends to happen I accumulated various chocolates over the Christmas period that will sit there until visiting family scoff them while we are watching TV, I used to take them into work but of course now that's not an option.

I think dinner tonight will be a venison grill steak, mushrooms, cheesy mash, broccoli and gravy.
    GC YTD 2018- £487/£710
    • caronc
    • By caronc 6th Mar 18, 6:19 PM
    • 3,773 Posts
    • 24,278 Thanks
    caronc
    It's good you're able & willing to help your neighbour MrAPJI as a horribly difficult decison for her to make without some support. I'm sure she appreciates it.
    GC YTD 2018- £487/£710
    • wort
    • By wort 6th Mar 18, 11:35 PM
    • 764 Posts
    • 10,143 Thanks
    wort
    Wednesday - I don't know about being gfree helping fibromyalgia, as my niece has fibromyalgia and coeliac and I don't think it helps her.
    If you try gfree it's not just the obvious things to cut out ,it can be in anything, so you will need to check labels on every thing. Even chocolate, beans, meringues, seeds. Plus the ingredients change so it means checking each time you buy.

The painting is done, the house reeks of paint, even though windows are open.
    Lunch was a quick thin with ham on and a pear.
    Tea was jacket potato with cheese and beans, lettuce, tomatoes, onion, and a tasty sweet posted pepper.
    Finished off the pineapple upside down cake .

Caronc glad the meds are helping, I once had something that caused all one side of my face to swell, it was horrific, apart from the Dr's I wasn't leaving the house!!!
    Last edited by wort; 06-03-2018 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 7th Mar 18, 8:26 AM
    • 11,960 Posts
    • 74,763 Thanks
    kittie
    friends are so important mrAP, true friends like you and this elderly lady. I also have a friend like this, him and his wife, she has needed me much psychologically in the past, my husband helped him much. He spoke so tearfully at my husbands funeral, he is professional, expert witness in his past job and has often said that they would do all they can to help me decide about my new house and to support me. He has a wealth of knowledge and will be the most fantastic guide as to the condition and future work on a property. My children are always here for me but of the generation who are still building their knowledge, helpful but without experience

Back to mundane food. Breakfast is over and I am looking to hm pizza for lunch. I want to top with sardines but costco best are very plump and filling so I will stretch the dough to make two pizzas, two days. I need to get cracking on my veg store so will have some with a small bit of meat, probably lamb, last meal

I have work to do today, need to get the post winter clean done, can`t be leaving it to last minute before selling. Did two areas yesterday, another 2 today, skirtings,all paint, ceilings, the lot. Got to pace myself over the next days, shattering
    • caronc
    • By caronc 7th Mar 18, 8:53 AM
    • 3,773 Posts
    • 24,278 Thanks
    caronc
    Good morning everyone,
    Damp, cloudy and quite chilly this morning but I don't need to go anywhere today though hopefully it will stay dry and I get an "airing" no doubt just round the block but I like to do that whenever my balance and the weather let me.
    My face is a tad less pumpkin-like this morning more "scabby hamster" so progress I think. It's a bit less painful as well so I'm hoping I might manage to wash my hair as it's desperately needing it.

Food plans are non-existent at the moment will see how I feel later and decide from there.
    GC YTD 2018- £487/£710
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 7th Mar 18, 8:59 AM
    • 62,446 Posts
    • 365,668 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I've been scoffing stuff from the freezer, but had the feeling it was still full, so I took a proper look this morning.

The "full" aspect is from a random collection of odds and ends. e.g. some frozen gravy I decanted from the SC, half an onion frozen, half a squeezed lemon frozen, the shaved stalks of broccoli I'd frozen, a couple of portions of tomato sauce (from a tin) frozen.

Actual "food" I have a portion of chips, 3 fish fingers, 100g of frozen mince, a pack of 4 bread muffins, half a loaf of bread, half a bag of hash browns, 1/4 1Kg bag of peas.

It's that clutter that makes the freezer full. I think I need a new policy of odds/ends can only be frozen for one month, then I must force myself to use them.

It will all fit into one drawer, so I'm legally allowed to buy more food under my "keep one drawer empty all the time" rule as I've got one drawer empty .... so expect a pie, or burgers, soon.

Today I've got some chicken from the freezer, that's now defrosting. Probably best served with chips and peas as I've got those.
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 7th Mar 18, 9:14 AM
    • 15,596 Posts
    • 43,329 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Apji, Your neighbour is indeed lucky she didn't have to go and visit the place on her own. Another "head" is always a good idea at the best of times.

As you say - indeed the case her current home is her marital home and this will be a single one. With her being in the generation she is in - then it may be the first home she has ever got as a single person in the first place. Some women in my generation and probably darn nearly all of them in her generation aren't used to "fending for themselves" in many ways.

Always very wise to have a second visit anywhere when viewing a home. If "money is no object" one can afford to buy a place totally "sight unseen" if one knows the road/general area very well (ie there are places I would buy "sight unseen" to make sure and certain I got them - but it's a road I know extremely well and I'd have to have 4 times the money I've got available to do so).

So - vast majority of the time - absolutely necessary to take that 2nd look (with all the questions in mind one will have thought up since the first time and the chance for a "general" look at it). This is where someone (maybe yourself?) gets a good idea of measurements/takes photos if possible and then she can start planning on what furniture she will take with her (assuming she is likely to have to get rid of rather a lot of furniture in those circumstances).

On 2nd visit - in your position - I'd also be keeping an eye out to see if I spotted any "friendly" (or "nosey") faces lurking nearby. Help to suss out who is living nearby - and if there is a genuinely friendly face genuinely accidentally in the vicinity at the time - then she might mentally line them up in her mind as "potential new person to be friendly with" (I know my mother does that....). I can usually spot my mother checking out nearby "faces" a mile off by now.....

EDIT; Also useful to find out if there's someone nearby that likes to "rule the roost" if they can. That person will likely be "accidentally on purpose" be keeping a lookout at a second viewing - to suss out a potential neighbour. Voice of experience time LOL....
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 07-03-2018 at 9:32 AM.
    It's MY life......
    • Need2bthrifty
    • By Need2bthrifty 7th Mar 18, 9:20 AM
    • 1,056 Posts
    • 9,113 Thanks
    Need2bthrifty
    Morning All

Itís a beautiful sunny morning here and at last Iíll get some washing out on the line and get a proper walk today. I managed 2.65mls yesterday, it really has surprised me how many steps you can clock up wandering around garden centres and diy stores.

Just had some bran flakes and orange segments for breakfast, then it will be leek and stilton quiche with a side salad for lunch, havenít quite decided what to have for tea yet I have one large potato which needs using so it will either be baked or wedged.

Caronc, glad to hear the meds have done their job
    Keep Moving = 282.50mls/1000mls @ week 15

GC - Apr - £55.82/£80.00, Mar - £59.87/£60.00
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

144Posts Today

1,291Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin