Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    • 5,926Posts
    • 35,930Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Three)
    • 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    Cooking for one (Mark Three) 13th Jan 18 at 8:48 AM
    Welcome to Cooking one (Mark Three), time to get a shiny new thread up and running. The link to "Cooking for one (Mark Two)" can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73708876&posted=1#post73708876

Cooking For One
    13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?
    Last edited by caronc; 13-01-2018 at 8:51 AM.

Page 548
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 15th Jan 20, 1:39 PM
    • 3,859 Posts
    • 27,590 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    It was really stormy here last night, something kept crashing around in the garden and it turned out to be the lid of a storage box blowing open. I had to weigh it down with something. I saw today that a neighbour's fence had blown down.

I had a vegan cheese and pickle sandwich for brunch.

I am going to cook properly later. Wholemeal penne with shop bought vegan pesto, pan fried tofu, steamed carrots and some type of greens. I think I have spinach in the freezer.
    Push yourself, because no one else is going to do it for you.
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 15th Jan 20, 2:09 PM
    • 27,778 Posts
    • 118,576 Thanks
    candygirl
    Can't decide what to have for tea.It's either gonna be HM spicy lentil soup, n crunchy bread, or cauli cheese n peas .
    I feel like I need stodge at the mo.Had a really bad fall on Monday night.Went out to get a parcel n slipped n fell.Couldn't get up, as my right leg had gone completely numb.My neighbours came to help, but I had to literally crawl back into the house, n sort of drag myself up on the sofa! Very scary , n I'm full of bruises n very sore now
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • Farway
    • By Farway 15th Jan 20, 2:50 PM
    • 7,971 Posts
    • 16,354 Thanks
    Farway
    Oh dear CG, a fall is never good, plus left like a beetle unable to get back up. At least you had help & made it back indoors.

That's one reason I now carry a cheap PAYG mobile in my pocket, never know when it could be needed these days
    Hope the bruising clears, I spent ages explaining how I was bruised & "No I'm fine now thanks"

Sun's out, but I'm leaving the tumbled trees for another day, no need to go out the back today

It was a fried egg sarnie for lunch, and could even be a repeat for dinner due to CBA & sole egg could do with using up
    • caronc
    • By caronc 15th Jan 20, 7:34 PM
    • 5,926 Posts
    • 35,930 Thanks
    caronc
    Good evening everyone,

<<Big hugs>> CG a fall is always horrible, I hope the bruising and pain settle quickly. Like Farway I always have my mobile on me in case I fall and get stuck. I seldom have suitable pockets so mine is on a pouch that I attach to my bra strap so I don't accidently drop it - especially as thanks to my son's cast offs I now have a rather decent mobile.

It's blooming baltic here and still blowing a hooley - I'm well fed up of the stormy weather now! I've had a very lazy day lethargically thinking about doing stuff rather than getting anything much done. Hopefully I'll feel more motivated tomorrow. Keeping it simple tonight with veggie pasta using frozen spinach and fresh mushrooms cooked in some HM tom sauce from the freezer with some of the lovely parmesan o the top. Any LOs will cover lunch tomorrow

• Brambling
    • By Brambling 15th Jan 20, 9:43 PM
    • 1,564 Posts
    • 9,208 Thanks
    Brambling
    Hope the bruises aren't too bad Candy

Still the aftermath of the storm here, with my usual route partly closed due to flooding, a bad 5 vehicles accident on the main A road causing a lot more traffic on the lesser roads, a tree and power lines down causing more traffic diverted the way I was trying to get to work and then they were putting three way temporary lights on the diversion route you would have thought someone would have said maybe not a good idea today road closures were still continued when I drove home tonight

I woke up this morning with a large very painful cold sore, I haven't had one for years . I grabbed the wrong thing for it in W8itrose which was the nearest place to go lunchtime, I read it and it said also for coldsore so put some on and ouch it really stung

Lunch was a bit flaky as I forgot to take soup out of the freezer last night, so I took some cheese and biscuits in to have with grapes. I wasn't hungry dinner time so I've picked at the last of the melon and the lurking panettone left from Christmas
    • caronc
    • By caronc 16th Jan 20, 10:49 AM
    • 5,926 Posts
    • 35,930 Thanks
    caronc
    Good morning everyone,

Hope the cold sore isn't as painful today Brambling
    Another day of wind and rain due here though it's dryish just now.
    I'm trying to shake off the cbas and find some oomph if nothing else I'm going to make a big pan of mash and some savoury mince. There's LO pasta for lunch. I'm needing to rebuild my stash of HM RMs in the freezer as I've pretty much used up the ones I made before Christmas apart from some soups. The spare mash and mince will be a start and I'll have a think about what else I might fancy making a batch of over coming days.

• Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 16th Jan 20, 12:29 PM
    • 3,859 Posts
    • 27,590 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I've had a sliced banana with a blueberry yoghurt so far today.

I feel like I need stodge at the mo.Had a really bad fall on Monday night.Went out to get a parcel n slipped n fell.Couldn't get up, as my right leg had gone completely numb.My neighbours came to help, but I had to literally crawl back into the house, n sort of drag myself up on the sofa! Very scary , n I'm full of bruises n very sore now
    Originally posted by candygirl
    I read this on the other thread. I hope you aren't in too much pain.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 16th Jan 20, 2:11 PM
    • 7,971 Posts
    • 16,354 Thanks
    Farway
    Into town for shopping mooch after porridge breakfast

I was after F Fingers, on offer in Iceland now my replacement air fryer is on it's way, arriving tomorrow by 9pm, no doubt it'll arrive 15 minutes after I leave for volunteering tomorrow morning

F Fs located, bought two packs, plus sliced loaf on offer, handy for FF sarnies just in case, and the tom ketchup is also on offer, lunches sorted

Found a rhubarb crown in Wilko, been looking for a few weeks, it'll replace the red currant bush

Ventured out the back & sorted the blown over trees back to upright. Had access to some overgrowing ivy, chopped that back & trundled the garden wheelie bin round the front just in time for the heavens to open. At least I did what was required before it went downhill

Lunch cheese & cuc sarnie
    Dinner, like Caron I'm in a CBA and ooomph less mode, thinking of cheesy beans on toast with couple of eggs on top
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 16th Jan 20, 5:17 PM
    • 67,810 Posts
    • 396,774 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    ....Had a really bad fall on Monday night.Went out to get a parcel n slipped n fell.Couldn't get up, as my right leg had gone completely numb.My neighbours came to help, but I had to literally crawl back into the house, n sort of drag myself up on the sofa! Very scary , n I'm full of bruises n very sore now
    Originally posted by candygirl
    That sucks. I had a bad fall the other week, stepped on a wet railway sleeper and slam dunked my entire left hand side down in under .3 of a second. Hurt like merry hell.

Couldn't use my hand for picking up a mug, or opening a door, for over 3 weeks. It took 4-5 weeks before I could use the car handbrake.

When it's "just you" these things are more important as there's nobody else to do your bidding.... or transporting.

Hope it fixes up quickly. I let all my bruising/swelling come out for a week, then started checking if it was worse/same/better each day. It was better, by about 1%, but being "better" meant I could avoid going to a Hospital to get it looked at.

It was about 8 weeks before every tiny bit of pain/whatever had gone and I'd "forgotten" about it.

This is where you need to have strange foods in the house, just in case.... things you can open/cook yourself. Thank gawd for microwaves

Some years ago dad wanted one of those battery operated tin openers... so I bought him one. I don't think he ever used it. I did keep it when I did the house clearance, it's in storage... never used it, but it's there "in case".
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 16th Jan 20, 5:22 PM
    • 67,810 Posts
    • 396,774 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Treated myself today. I had planned on having a carvery next Friday... but I phoned up to view a house and so went out for a general drive around the area and thought I'd start with a carvery. I went for the "no meat" option, which is 6.79.

You get offered a Yorkshire, yes please, then handed the plate. I had: big scoop of stuffing, 3 roast spuds, big scoop of mash, big scoop of mac cheese, big scoop of cauliflower cheese, a smallish scoop of some sliced potatoes in a cream sauce, carrots, green beans, peas and beef gravy.

I thought I was going to die about 3/4s of the way through.... my stomach wasn't used to such piggery and I was seated... so I sat and worried for 3-4 minutes while sitting more upright ... then ploughed on. I got to the end.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 16th Jan 20, 7:53 PM
    • 5,926 Posts
    • 35,930 Thanks
    caronc
    Good evening everyone,
    Goodness PN I'm not surprised you were stuffed that sounds like a massive meal. Definitely got your money's worth.
    The wind continues to howl and there has been some torrential showers but it should calm down overnight if the forecast is accurate so fingers crossed.
    My oomph is still somewhat lacking but I have made a huge pan of mash and a pot of savoury mince even if I did do them in fits and starts at least I did them.

I'm getting a "new" computer desk at the weekend, my current one is ancient, massive and takes up far too much room. It was bought when we got our first home desktop computer which must be 20 years ago, it wasn't expensive and certainly doesn't owe anyone anything. I'll need to get my son to dismantle it and I dread to think how much dust & debris lurk behind it. I will need to empty the pedestal part though as the one I'm getting only has one drawer. I suspect most of the pedestal contents can be binned as there is a drawer full of cables & phones from various gadgets and phones the kids have had over the years. I can't think of the last time they took anything from it so obviously not needed and no doubt obsolote (until I get rid of them). My "new" one is actually a wooden desk my sis had that is no longer needed, it will be ideal for me so a win-win for us both. I'll pop mine on the local FB group to see if anyone wants it otherwise I think it will need to get recycled - there's a place at the local waste centre that you can leave things like that and a charity strips them down for useful bits or refurbs them.

My new dress arrived today and I like it, it's definitely warmer weather wear though so it's been hung in my wardrobe until spring arrives.
    Dinner just needs some veg (peas & carrots) nuking and the mince & mash reheated.

• Brambling
    • By Brambling 16th Jan 20, 8:56 PM
    • 1,564 Posts
    • 9,208 Thanks
    Brambling
    Evening all

It will be handy to stock up the HM RM Caronc for when the donkey gets out

This morning started with kitten wrangling I let out his lordship and he shot in And again when I tried to leave for work I ended up handing him over to a neighbour as he was around the car. The look on her face was a picture she told me she didn't know anything about cats, I told her she didn't have to, just hold him until I left she thought he was mine as he spends a lot of time on my doorstep I managed to catch his owner tonight, it seems they have started to leave a back window open for him until they can install a cat flap in the side wall and he has a vet appointment for his op in a couple of weeks so will be kept in for a bit then.

Lunch was a gammon and rocket wrap with tomatoes and sugar snap peas, I'll finish the pack of wraps but not very filling. I definitely had a CBA feeling when I got home but I made myself cook, nothing fancy just a vegetable and tomato sauce with spaghetti, using up odds and sods from the veg containers and some asparagus which I had forgotten about,very tasty and I'm glad I made the effort, although to be honest it wasn't much of an effort
    Last edited by Brambling; 17-01-2020 at 1:47 PM.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 17th Jan 20, 12:31 PM
    • 3,859 Posts
    • 27,590 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I'm ordering a pizza now. I'm hungover.

Papa Johns has a fab vegan menu now! I'm getting a large pizza and a side order, haha.

I will have half today and then freeze the rest.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 17th Jan 20, 1:53 PM
    • 7,971 Posts
    • 16,354 Thanks
    Farway
    It's just arrived, the new air fryer, the box is huge so I'm hoping being Am***n it's over packaged, If not I'll need to build an extension

L's mooching this morning, the only thing I really really wanted was cheese offer, none, zilch, nuffin' However I did finally locate the RFQS YS items post their New Year shuffle, my YS haul was RM ham & cheese sarnie for lunch 70p

Pukka pies are back on offer, 99p, grabbed a leek & spud one as I found them very tasty, something for the weekend

More rain but weekend looking good so could get the rhubarb in

Dinner tonight, maiden voyage of the air fryer, chips & F Fingers
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 17th Jan 20, 3:50 PM
    • 27,778 Posts
    • 118,576 Thanks
    candygirl
    It's just arrived, the new air fryer, the box is huge so I'm hoping being Am***n it's over packaged, If not I'll need to build an extension

L's mooching this morning, the only thing I really really wanted was cheese offer, none, zilch, nuffin' However I did finally locate the RFQS YS items post their New Year shuffle, my YS haul was RM ham & cheese sarnie for lunch 70p

Pukka pies are back on offer, 99p, grabbed a leek & spud one as I found them very tasty, something for the weekend

More rain but weekend looking good so could get the rhubarb in

Dinner tonight, maiden voyage of the air fryer, chips & F Fingers
    Originally posted by Farway
    My house is full of Amazon boxes! You will love your air fryer, n if you get stuck, have a look on you tube
    I've just made spicy lentil n tomato soup, which I'll have with tiger bread later
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 17th Jan 20, 4:33 PM
    • 67,810 Posts
    • 396,774 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Was out, so took a mooch round the local Sainsbobs to familiarise myself with its layout/offerings.... came out with a tin of pineapple chunks and a packet of sweeties.

Then off to 4ldi, for "see what I get". Came away with a lot. Flatbreads, 3 packs of nuker rice, box of honey nut cornflakes, jar of coffee, tin of meatballs, tin of chicken noodle soup (only because it was 39p, so I thought worth a try), jar of salmon paste (thought I'd try it), pack of 2 naan breads, smallish pack of extra mature cheddar - and a mexican inspired chilli/tomato flatbread with a 30% off sticker. Once home, nuked the flatbread in two halves... intended to only eat one half, but half an hour later thought "why not" and had the other half

I had actually intended to get instant mash from 4ldi, but only remembered as I was walking back to the car. It's not critical.
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 17-01-2020 at 7:46 PM.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 17th Jan 20, 7:41 PM
    • 5,926 Posts
    • 35,930 Thanks
    caronc
    Good evening everyone,
    Managed to lock myself out of MSE trying login from my new laptop earlier and much muttering and many hours later I'm finally back in. I think I made a rookie mistake somewhere along the line as just now I got back in without any problem.
    Mixed weather today - dry & cold this morning, very wet & windy this afternoon and windy & frosty this evening! My sister & nephew dropped of the desk late morning along with a few groceries they had picked up for me while they were in the SM. The desk is in the dining room until my son dismantles my current one next weekend.
    Lunch was a mini pork pie, tiger roll, coleslaw and cucumber sticks, not really the weather for a salady meal but I enjoyed it. I've defrosted a fillet of smoked haddock for dinner which I'm going to poach in milk & butter and have with some of the mash I made yesterday, spinach and a poached egg. I'm glad the forecast is dry for tomorrow as I'll want to get the windows open as the smell will no doubt linger - I do like enough not to mind though.

ETA - cleared out the pedestal on my current deask earlier oh my what a lot of junk was in there
    Last edited by caronc; 17-01-2020 at 7:57 PM.

• PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 17th Jan 20, 7:48 PM
    • 67,810 Posts
    • 396,774 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Managed to lock myself out of MSE trying login from my new laptop earlier and much muttering and many hours later I'm finally back in.
    Originally posted by caronc
    I rarely read the pinned items at the top, but there's one at the minute saying they'll be moving the platform.

I CBA to read it and know if I know what my PW is... so I expect to get locked out whenever this event occurs... any day now or so. I won't be the only one

Who knows.... I might simply find.... I can't ever get back in/CBA to persist
    • caronc
    • By caronc 17th Jan 20, 7:54 PM
    • 5,926 Posts
    • 35,930 Thanks
    caronc
    I rarely read the pinned items at the top, but there's one at the minute saying they'll be moving the platform.

I CBA to read it and know if I know what my PW is... so I expect to get locked out whenever this event occurs... any day now or so. I won't be the only one

Who knows.... I might simply find.... I can't ever get back in/CBA to persist
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Frustratingly it was my username rather than password it seemed to be objecting to, yes I've seen the announcement I hope you don't desert us in CFO land afterwards. Hopefully the new platform will be less clunky.

• PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 17th Jan 20, 8:00 PM
    • 67,810 Posts
    • 396,774 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Frustratingly it was my username rather than password it seemed to be objecting to, yes I've seen the announcement I hope you don't desert us in CFO land afterwards. Hopefully the new platform will be less clunky.
    Originally posted by caronc
    I'm about to post something that might get me a 1-3 month ban .... but here goes because I am still seething at the utter injustice....

I live alone, have no friends/family, am entirely "alone". It was just coming up to Xmas 2018, I was going to be entirely alone, not seeing anybody in any capacity. No lunches, no gatherings, no parties, no meals out, no "jollity".... I was out and received a text.... unusual.... it was somebody from MSE asking me "what did you do wrong?" "Eh? Nothing" I replied. I got home 2-3 hours later and tried to log on and I was BANNED!

A full one month ban, over the whole of Xmas and New Year '18-19... because on one thread somebody's name (TV/personality) had been mentioned and I made some off the cuff remark to the effect of "I don't like them"

I 'offended' somebody, who'd clicked and I was banned.

A few fought my corner, but I wasn't reinstated.

Whoever did it .... and whoever checked (if anybody) in the ivory towers and decided I was banned .... is not welcome in my books. I'll never forgive the utter injustice of it.

Never.

Bar stewards.

(As I said above.... saying the above might just get me a bigger/longer ban, but sometimes you just feel so utterly alone and sad that you don't care about things any more).

I used to mark inappropriate spam threads as spam up to that point.... there'd be a lot in the mornings, I'd sometimes mark 20-30 (when X number of people mark a spam thread it disappears). I stopped, in a huff, and refuse to "help" MSE any longer on that score.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,216Posts Today

5,134Users online

Martin's Twitter