Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    • 5,918Posts
    • 35,869Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Three)
    • 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    Cooking for one (Mark Three) 13th Jan 18 at 8:48 AM
    Welcome to Cooking one (Mark Three), time to get a shiny new thread up and running. The link to "Cooking for one (Mark Two)" can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73708876&posted=1#post73708876

Cooking For One
    13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?
    Last edited by caronc; 13-01-2018 at 8:51 AM.

Page 547
    • Farway
    • By Farway 13th Jan 20, 3:45 PM
    • 7,966 Posts
    • 16,328 Thanks
    Farway
    Originally Posted by caronc
    I also wonder how many sets of allen keys one actually needs

All of them, trust me
    Originally posted by unrecordings

And there will never be one the correct size
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 13th Jan 20, 4:31 PM
    • 27,774 Posts
    • 118,529 Thanks
    candygirl
    Forgot to say, I'm having jacket spuds, with cheese n salad for tea.Have loads of spuds to use up
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 13th Jan 20, 5:32 PM
    • 67,770 Posts
    • 396,562 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    When I left the house I stayed at Xmas I got the "clearing the cupboards out/excess Xmas stuff" held up in the air and asked if I wanted it. So I brought back a strange mixture of items. Had a delve through it earlier.... and my next meal turned out to be:

One miniature sticky toffee pudding & half a chocolate orange
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 13th Jan 20, 8:04 PM
    • 1,549 Posts
    • 9,103 Thanks
    Brambling
    Hi Finchy

PN, the flying saucer style are Actifry, which is what I had. They are that shape because they have a rotating paddle arm, and I suspect it is the gearing on mine that hasNot sure if they'll do pies / flans but can't think why not unless it's something to do with burning pastry? Some, like mine, have temperature controls so I guess a heat up instead of cook is possible
    Originally posted by Farway
    I do heat things like quiche slices in mine, usually quarters straight from the freezer, it keeps the pastry crisp unlike when you use a microwave to reheat it. It also works when reheating filo pastry (which I'm expecting PN won't be of use to you ). I crumb chicken thighs and they come out the same as deep fried ones (I found chicken breast dried out but I could of over cooked), HM scotch eggs and fish fingers. It also saves on putting the oven on for a crispy skin jacket potato, I usually start it in microwave and finish in air fryer.

It's getting stormy outside and the lights have flickered a couple of times so candles and matches are to hand I fear the mini greenhouse will take a tumble I hope those in its path and not just the tail end stay safe and warm

I hadn't seen the PITA kitten for a few days (ok I admit to being a little worried) but it met me at the car tonight and jumped in and on my knee when I opened the door I wondered if he had been to the vet, but nope all bits are still there . He tried to trip me up walking up the path, luckily his lordship was asleep indoors so didn't see me have a quick cuddle

Lunch was the LO braised celery and leek blitzed for soup with a little gammon chopped in followed by melon and pineapple. Dinner was really cba and a large plate of LO veg. The last of it with the venison will do for lunch tomorrow
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 20, 8:06 PM
    • 5,918 Posts
    • 35,869 Thanks
    caronc
    Good evening everyone,
    "Brendan" continues to rage and it's blooming baltic - I'm not sure the beautiful sky first thing was worth it....
    Kitchen drawers have been cleaned out and changed round - I wonder how long it will take me to remember that I've moved the cutlery drawer to what is actually a more sensible position in the island and the knives & other random kitchen things are now next to the cooker under where my jars of utensils are. Like you unrecordings I seem to have a plethora of stuff - some from my parents and grandparents, some given to me, some bought and some which has drifted in via the kids on a one way trip! I think my oldest items are a carving knife and fork set that were a wedding present of my Grandparent's from 1938 which I still use though the knife blade is getting very thin. Couldn't find my Gran's "butter curler" though, so unless it's in the loft having never made it back to the kitchen post-renovations (in 2008) it's gone awol. I did find the matching melon baller so it's a bit of mystery. A bag of junk has been ditched and another full of DIY bits (bar some basics) is in the corner beside the larder unit. This will go to the garage at some point after my younger son has looked through it as I have no idea what most of it is for so not sure if it should be kept or not! None of the squillons of allen keys have been ditched but, as you say Farway, no doubt none will be the correct size for the next time they are needed.

I'm sure you'll work out what works for you in time Finchy and doing some batch cooking is great as it gives a fall back for those CBA moments which I think hit us all from time to time.
    Nice to see you posting CG
    My laptop arrived late afternoon but I haven't unwrapped it yet as I've been yapping on the phone to the kids and my nephew. My nephew's UCAS application is now fully submitted as we had to wait until his tutor had submitted the reference to press "send". I think we are both very relieved that it's done.
    My lunch ended up being quite late which as just as well as I've not started dinner though as it's a stir fry it shouldn't take that long once I prep the ingredients.The rice is already cooked and frozen so just needs nuked

• PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 13th Jan 20, 8:19 PM
    • 67,770 Posts
    • 396,562 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I do heat things like quiche slices in mine, usually quarters straight from the freezer, it keeps the pastry crisp unlike when you use a microwave to reheat it. .... HM scotch eggs and fish fingers. It also saves on putting the oven on for a crispy skin jacket potato, I usually start it in microwave and finish in air fryer.
    Originally posted by Brambling
    These would make my list.

Re filo: You're right. Never bought it... rarely had it ... seems too much of a faff for me to ever use.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 20, 8:27 PM
    • 5,918 Posts
    • 35,869 Thanks
    caronc

For the few pieces of furniture I've had in the past that provided an allen key I've tried to tape that to the underside so I always knew where it was when needed. This does require good tape being to hand immediately, which was often the flaw. I used to keep all those spare bits and paperwork and put them into a ziplock bag and toss them all into a box, so all my "instructions etc" for anything were all together... trouble was, "where" as, in a small place, you tend to end up hiding things "out of sight" and CBA to work out where.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Wish I'd thought of that...

• caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 20, 8:34 PM
    • 5,918 Posts
    • 35,869 Thanks
    caronc
    When I built my Ottoman bed, I even taped a note on the inside telling me where to start: Lift bed base up, undo nuts and remove the whole lifting frame.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Now if I could rewind 28 1/2 years since I moved here I'd definitely be doing things like that but definitely noted for the future.

• caronc
    • By caronc 14th Jan 20, 11:00 AM
    • 5,918 Posts
    • 35,869 Thanks
    caronc
    Good morning everyone,

The worst of "Brendan" seems to be over though it's still pretty windy and absolutely perishing. No damage here as far as I can see but the trains and roads have been quite badly disrupted. It's get gusty again later but not to the same extent. As it's dry I'll bring in more logs - I like to have a good stash indoors to keep me going if the weather is iffy. "Wonky donkey" is still kicking a bit but less insistently than it has been which is fab.
    I hope to get my new laptop up and running today - fingers crossed it goes smoothly.
    LO chicken for lunch and eggs someway I think tonight.

• dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 14th Jan 20, 11:21 AM
    • 5,258 Posts
    • 5,015 Thanks
    dekaspace
    Haven't posted in ages, I have about 35 or 40 chicken breasts in freezer from butcher, about 50 pork or beef sausages from butcher, a few packs of haggis balls I got reduced at New Year, 2 boxes of potato waffles, carrots in fridge, onions, pizza bases, 4 frozen pizzas

That is likely 1/4 or 1/3 whats in my freezer as its a massive one but should start eating it

I do also have chips but I stopped cooking them as I was at most cooking them once a month on average so by time I went to cook them the fat was rancid(maybe get an air fryer?)
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 14th Jan 20, 12:21 PM
    • 3,842 Posts
    • 27,481 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    It was quite stormy here last night. It's still wet and miserable here today. One of my cats has to go to the vet as he keeps throwing up. My husband took him.

I am making potato wedges as I still have loads left. I did buy some leeks as I was going to make potato and leek soup too.
    Push yourself, because no one else is going to do it for you.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 14th Jan 20, 1:40 PM
    • 7,966 Posts
    • 16,328 Thanks
    Farway
    Brendan arrived & still lingering, blowing a gale & peeing down outside

Back to routine now, into L's first thing, still not found the moved YS section, however did get a YS 20p loaf, plus located the mint sauce area for my next lamb chops

Lunch was the remaining half of the pork pie, with mustard
    Dinner, ideal weather for the LO savoury mince & dumplings, I'll nuke that for dinner, followed by apple crumble if still peckish
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 14th Jan 20, 5:54 PM
    • 67,770 Posts
    • 396,562 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Today's been:

1/ A baking spud I brought back from my Xmas trip + the last cheese slice that I was gifted from the same trip.
    2/ Half a pack of Matchmakers, also gifted from the Xmas trip.
    3/ Two flatbreads + 2 cheap fishcakes + splash of hot ketchup.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 14th Jan 20, 7:45 PM
    • 5,918 Posts
    • 35,869 Thanks
    caronc
    Good evening everyone,
    Scary house price PN for a "do-er upper"- it would be at least half the price round here and my town is regarded as expensive for the area !!
    It's getting windy here which might warm things up a bit it's only been a couple of degrees above freezing here today and with the windchill feeling much colder than that outside.
    The new laptop is partially set up but I haven't got things set the way I like them yet so I'm still on my old one. It's nice to have the luxury of not trying to do a desperate retrieve from a broken one and I'll probably use both for a bit until I've got it as I want. It's scarily fast compared to this one.
    Today has been a "just call me Busby" kind of day (showing my age here) as I spent ages on the phone - two TLC chats with two friends who each have sadly had to have their beloved pooches put to sleep over the past 24 hours and a long one with my elder son re a promotion application he's completing. I think my son is still talking to me but he has a lot of work to do before the deadline next Monday.... I suspect his may be a fraught household over the next week or so as he's working on that and his fiancee has her Viva in a fortnight. Sometimes it's good to be hundreds of miles away .
    Comfort food on the menu tonight in the form of sausage, beans, egg, mushrooms and oven chips. A cheeky lurking rasher of streaky may well find it's way onto the baking tray too . Lunch was a toasted muffin topped with LO chicken, grapes and a small mug of HM L&P soup from the freezer, it filled me at the time but for some reason I'm really hungry tonight - I'll blame the weather rather than glutony. The spare beans will be used for lunch tomorrow.

• Brambling
    • By Brambling 14th Jan 20, 8:32 PM
    • 1,549 Posts
    • 9,103 Thanks
    Brambling
    Caronc have you thought of hiring out your services for application completion I'm sure you could get references from your son and nephew.

Horrible weather here, the local radio said it wasn't Brendan but 'a storm with no name' it was also full of roads closures due to floods and trees down, my sister texted to say tree down on my route home, so some decisions had to be made on the best way home when sitting in traffic on the way out of town. I hate driving in this weather. At least the mini greenhouse is staying put, wedged in but the emptied compost bin has travelled around the garden

PN do you think more houses will go on the market when people see what the end of the month will bring? Houses prices up here are pretty high to

Deka the advantage of a air fryer is not having to worry about the oil going off especially if you're CFO,

Lunch was LO vegetables and venison from the weekend, with some melon and pineapple. Dinner was just as easy gammon, egg and air fried chips using the last of the cooked new potatoes with a dollop of piccalilli on the side
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 14th Jan 20, 9:28 PM
    • 67,770 Posts
    • 396,562 Thanks
    PasturesNew

PN do you think more houses will go on the market when people see what the end of the month will bring? Houses prices up here are pretty high to
    Dunno. Now is supposed to be a busy time, but it's not turned out that way.... if they all wait until the end of the month there'll be a glut and not enough buyers....

They're best putting it on now..... before the rush starts. When people like me are sitting and waiting for one.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 14th Jan 20, 9:46 PM
    • 5,918 Posts
    • 35,869 Thanks
    caronc
    Caronc have you thought of hiring out your services for application completion I'm sure you could get references from your son and nephew.
    I can just see the strapline "Application bootcamp, where a wee, wobbly wifey tells you lots of things you don 't want hear - "snowflakes" need not apply " then again pehaps not - might need to work on being nice..........Then again

• Brambling
    • By Brambling 14th Jan 20, 10:37 PM
    • 1,549 Posts
    • 9,103 Thanks
    Brambling
    I can just see the strapline "Application bootcamp, where a wee, wobbly wifey tells you lots of things you don 't want hear - "snowflakes" need not apply " then again pehaps not - might need to work on being nice..........Then again
    Originally posted by caronc
    I don't know some snowflakes need someone to be 'honest' to them in prep for a interview
    • Farway
    • By Farway 15th Jan 20, 10:11 AM
    • 7,966 Posts
    • 16,328 Thanks
    Farway
    Horrible weather here, the local radio said it wasn't Brendan but 'a storm with no name' it was also full of roads closures due to floods and trees down, my sister texted to say tree down on my route home, so some decisions had to be made on the best way home when sitting in traffic on the way out of town. I hate driving in this weather. At least the mini greenhouse is staying put, wedged in but the emptied compost bin has travelled around the garden

Pheww, what a noisy night, the storm with no name howled all night long here with over an inch of rain apparently. My only causalities are two pot grown tress have toppled over and are blocking the back door, as it's still raining they can stay that way for a bit

As a consequence of noisy night I had bit of a lay in and a late breakfast of porridge + banana
    Bit early to think of lunch, but maybe an egg sarnie
    Dinner, def CBA day, so it will a nuked frozen RM MFO, variety unknown as yet. Plus last of the apple crumble
    • caronc
    • By caronc 15th Jan 20, 11:58 AM
    • 5,918 Posts
    • 35,869 Thanks
    caronc
    Good morning everyone,
    Dry but very windy and bitterly cold here. I slept later than usual this morning so feel as though the day is getting away from me as all I have really done is have a shower and wash & dry my hair. Not that I have much planned for today apart from going over some more examples my son has sent over, tbh the persistent background "wonky donkey" is grinding me down a bit which always curbs my motivation. At least I'm clean & dressed if nothing else.
    Poached egg and LO beans on a toasted muffin for lunch, dinner is tbc - my meal plan says freezer raid or pasta so I'll see what I fancy later.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

96Posts Today

1,551Users online

Martin's Twitter