PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 29 January 2018 at 8:43PM
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    I can't believe I've been so ill, hardly eaten for 2 weeks yet lost zero weight, in fact my scales say I have put some on:( :think:
    Maybe you had put on some over Christmas (cheese?) so have lost some of that? Anyway important thing is that you are on the mend.[/QUOTE]

Thing is I didn't over indulge over xmas and didn't put weight on, in fact I still have a lot of my xmas goodies left!

Who knows, perhaps it's my age :rotfl:

I also think it's because I'm normally very physically active..the most active I've been for the last 2 weeks is changing my bedsheets almost daily :(

PS why are the quotes all out of sync? I quoted caron's post but it's gone a bit wrong for some reason??
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    karcher wrote: »
    Maybe you had put on some over Christmas (cheese?) so have lost some of that? Anyway important thing is that you are on the mend.

Thing is I didn't over indulge over xmas and didn't put weight on, in fact I still have a lot of my xmas goodies left!

Who knows, perhaps it's my age :rotfl:

I also think it's because I'm normally very physically active..the most active I've been for the last 2 weeks is changing my bedsheets almost daily :(

PS why are the quotes all out of sync? I quoted caron's post but it's gone a bit wrong for some reason??[/QUOTE]
    No idea re the quotes but yes probably a case of calories in/calories used being knocked out of kilter.
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,673 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The dauphin potatoes weren't that good, I won't buy the jar again. I added extra garlic and a bucket of black pepper, then topped with cheddar and parmesan to give them taste, had them with the last of the roast chicken and cauli from yesterday. There is a big portion left!
    Had some choc buttons and a cup of tea.

On the bright side the washing dried!!

Money- glad you're ok, don't let him get to you the stress is terrible for us.
    Karcher- at least you're eating now, you can improve on the it as you get better.

I know I've got some gfree tortilla/wraps in freezer, had to buy online, I enjoyed them in enchiladas, but I don't know what they're made of as they smell awful, in fact the ones in there at the moment have been in there a year or two now, I think the smell puts me off using them:o
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    wort wrote: »
    The dauphin potatoes weren't that good, I won't buy the jar again. I added extra garlic and a bucket of black pepper, then topped with cheddar and parmesan to give them taste, had them with the last of the roast chicken and cauli from yesterday. There is a big portion left!
    Had some choc buttons and a cup of tea.

On the bright side the washing dried!!

Money- glad you're ok, don't let him get to you the stress is terrible for us.
    Karcher- at least you're eating now, you can improve on the it as you get better.

I know I've got some gfree tortilla/wraps in freezer, had to buy online, I enjoyed them in enchiladas, but I don't know what they're made of as they smell awful, in fact the ones in there at the moment have been in there a year or two now, I think the smell puts me off using them:o
    Wort - potatoes dauphinoise from scratch are super easy https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/international/european/french/gratin-dauphinois (although this is done in the oven it's still fine in the slow cooker, I use a bit more garlic than suggested and if you fancy very thinly sliced onions layered between the spuds is good though strictly I think that makes it not dauphinoise but who cares it tastes fab;))
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Wort - I don't think we should feel too guilty if we occasionally chuck out food we seriously can't fancy for some reason (in this case the vile-smelling tortilla/wraps).

I don't like throwing out "perfectly good food" myself - but if it's vile-smelling then I think it's justified. Personally - I'd think "There's possibly a reason just why it's vile-smelling (ie some awful ingredient or it's gone off) - and I'm just as well to bin it".
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    a tidy start today with just porridge and prunes and a mug of tea, no maple syrup on porridge this time

I will need to do a hm rm out the freezer later, also veg soup at some stage. Nothing special but nice enough.

I have a wholesale pack of sardines in tomato sauce and they are all going into the food bank box, I just don`t like them in tomato sauce. I have more expensive costco sardines in olive oil, now they are a whole different kettle of fish, tasty and plump. The standard of the JW tomato sardines has gone down a lot, they are now skinny and the tin is full of sauce but not sardines.

Also going out are 2 packs of sprouted bread, it keeps in its vac packaging forever and is still in date but I dislike it, cannot make myself eat it when I have beautiful tasty and crusty fresh bread

2 lemons and 1 grapefruit in the fridge veg drawers, grapefruit will be juiced later and lemons chunked and frozen. Drawers washed and kitchen roll laid on the bottom, ready for the new veg tomorrow
  • wort
    Options
    Thanks Caronc ,my daughter made me a meal last year, and made from scratch they were delicious, I thought the jar would be easier, but will definitely try that .
    Money- I will dig them out and maybe give them one last go, but reckon you're right, the smell is really odd, not sure what type of replacement flour it uses, but it's not the best!!
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • wort
    Options
    Kittie - apparently cats like sardines in tom sauce if you know anyone with a cat::D
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    ..and I could have found a home for your packs of sprouted bread Kittie.

Shucks that I'm not near enough to lob them in my direction...
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 30 January 2018 at 10:31AM
    Options
    oh dear money, they are in the food bank now. Quite easy to make with a dehydrator but cba, at the moment. Probably again when I have moved

nuts snack just eaten and am drinking hibiscus herbs as a tea

Got to keep up with the protein, don`t want any more extra hair loss, started after dh died but any shock/bad stress can set it off as can age. Hair is protein, hair needs regular protein
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback