Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 18, 7:48 AM
    • 5,662Posts
    • 34,506Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Three)
    • 13th Jan 18, 7:48 AM
    Cooking for one (Mark Three) 13th Jan 18 at 7:48 AM
    Welcome to Cooking one (Mark Three), time to get a shiny new thread up and running. The link to "Cooking for one (Mark Two)" can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73708876&posted=1#post73708876

Cooking For One
    13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?
    Last edited by caronc; 13-01-2018 at 7:51 AM.

Page 426
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 13th Jun 19, 9:26 PM
    • 6,992 Posts
    • 50,413 Thanks
    joedenise
    The best way is to cook the fish on the bone and then eat it off the bone, flesh comes off easily.

Denise
    • Fire Fox
    • By Fire Fox 13th Jun 19, 11:34 PM
    • 25,149 Posts
    • 29,391 Thanks
    Fire Fox
    Threw together a blue cheese and green veg soup (broccoli/ spinach/ leek/ celery/ garlic/ spices/ Greek yogurt/ YS stilton/ chermoula). 100% frozen vegetables needing minimal cooking, so retained its emerald colour. Had half of the soup for lunch.

Then went to the indoor market for long green peppers and cauliflower: came home with long red peppers, long orange peppers and British strawberries!

To use up the last of the frozen peppers, threw together a Mediterranean tomato soup (canned toms/ long red pepper/ red onion/ garlic/ sundried tomato paste/ black olive pesto/ harissa paste/ Greek yogurt/ Greek feta/ YS green pesto). Had half of the soup for supper: delish.

Food waste: Two red onions (stock rotation fail)..

Thanks Brambling and Caronc. Your fishy day sounds tasty and healthy, not always easy bedfellows!
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
    • flubberyzing
    • By flubberyzing 14th Jun 19, 6:56 AM
    • 1,270 Posts
    • 8,573 Thanks
    flubberyzing
    Good morning!

I haven't been on for a couple of days, as I've been busy with school and tutoring.
    Wednesday I was asked to go and help out on a school trip with a unit of Autistic primary school children. I was asked to join the class of youngest children, who are mostly all non-verbal. It was an adventure, that's for sure!
    I worked all day yesterday as well. In the same special needs unit, but with the older children.

Today I've got the morning off, and I'm working in the unit again this afternoon. I think I know which class I'm with, but I shall check. Then I'm meeting a new child for tutoring. It's a little Reception child, so we're only going to do 30 minutes. That's at 5:30, but it seems silly to go home for an hour, to the other side of town, and then out again. So I thought I'd take my book to the Sainsburys caf! and have a coffee and a toastie.
    Then I've got another tutoring session 7-8:15. It makes Friday a long day, and I have to be clever with my meals.

I've just had an egg and banana for breakfast, and will have a coffee in a bit.
    It'll have to be an early lunch, probably around 11:15, as I'm needed at work from about 12:20 to support the children having their lunch from 12:30.

My plan until then is to try and finish the Kathy Reichs book I'm reading. It's the first one I've ever read of hers, and although I've heard good things about her work, I'm not loving the book. I'm 3/4 of the way through now, and really... not a lot has happened. I don't want to abandon it, because I've invested a lot in it up to this point, but I'm hoping it's going to race to a dramatic conclusion!
    Because it's fun to have money!
    0/70 August GC
    68.35/70 July GC
    January-June 2019 = 356.94/420

• caronc
    • By caronc 14th Jun 19, 9:33 AM
    • 5,662 Posts
    • 34,506 Thanks
    caronc
    Good morning everyone,

I really enjoyed the earlier Kathy Reichs books but less so her later ones.
    Weather seems the same as yesterday- gloomy and damp but forecast to remain dry. Now I don't have to hang about for the table being delivered I want to get some bits done in the garden. (Any excuse to ignore a pile of ironing will do)
    Soup & a bagel again for lunch as groceries aren't arriving until later so still have no bread. I should really get a sourdough underway I'll sort that out over the next few days.
    Spaghetti and meatballs for dinner, I've not had this for a while so I'm looking forward to it.

• Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 14th Jun 19, 9:53 AM
    • 3,418 Posts
    • 24,241 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    Wholemeal toast again for breakfast.

I'm having a bean burger in tortilla wraps with fried onions and cherry toms for lunch. I will have some carrot sticks and salsa too.
    Push yourself, because no one else is going to do it for you.
    • Fire Fox
    • By Fire Fox 14th Jun 19, 11:45 AM
    • 25,149 Posts
    • 29,391 Thanks
    Fire Fox
    Productive insomnia! Chopped and frozen all the long peppers. Been to Morries.

Yellow Sticker bonanza: Tenderstem broccoli tips x 2, baby leaf salad x 2, RTE avocados, punnet gooseberries (all half price).

Also a fresh Yorkshire trout, 1kg of mixed Yorkshire tomatoes, dozen organic eggs (on offer as cheap as discounters), various dairy, other veg. Probably won't go to Lidl this afternoon, too busy trying to get a quart into a pint pot.
    Last edited by Fire Fox; 14-06-2019 at 11:48 AM.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
    • Farway
    • By Farway 14th Jun 19, 1:04 PM
    • 7,655 Posts
    • 15,225 Thanks
    Farway
    Seems fish all round on here, and it just so happens today is fish for me.

On offer in L's, breaded cod so pack of them in the basket + salmon fillets also on offer. The L offers aren't what they used to be but better than nothing I suppose

Yesterday's savoury mince was OK but I've made better, maybe it'll improve having sat in the fridge overnight

The bread pud is stretching a lot, I think someone said it freezes well so I'll do that with a few lumps later

Lunch was cheese, cuc + tom sarnie, fresh crisp, not soggy type

Dinner will be F & C plus frozen peas, PN, I find using frozen saves the half tin LO dilemma, however that is not mushy peas, I suppose could go cheffy & lightly mash the frozen ones with some mint? Nah, don't think so

Thinking of making some instant custard up & having it with blob of bread pud for later
    • Farway
    • By Farway 14th Jun 19, 4:53 PM
    • 7,655 Posts
    • 15,225 Thanks
    Farway
    F & Cs scoffed, plus nuked frozen peas + lump of bread pud to "top up"

CBA to make instant custard, how idle is that?

I'm on a teaching young dog old tricks run tomorrow morning, over DS's with him replacing a shower pump while I supervise and add encouraging words

While hunting out the tools for above job the chipboard shelves in my glory hole spare parts store collapsed Bit of a mess now but a job for another day, never knew I had so many 3 pin plugs and pipe clips
    • caronc
    • By caronc 14th Jun 19, 6:17 PM
    • 5,662 Posts
    • 34,506 Thanks
    caronc
    While hunting out the tools for above job the chipboard shelves in my glory hole spare parts store collapsed Bit of a mess now but a job for another day, never knew I had so many 3 pin plugs and pipe clips
    Originally posted by Farway
    Sounds like a shelf in my lean to, I'm sure if I move anything on or off it, it will disintergrate. Thankfully it's mainly my son's fishing bits & bobs that are on it so I can leave it alone.

Good evening everyone,

The weather actually perked up a bit so I had a good potter in the garden topping up my Vit D levels if not actually doing much gardening. It's turned showery (and chilly) now so have taken a chance and just watered the the green house and the plants on the deck. The forecast is for rain but if it doesn't come to anything I'll water the garden in the morning.
    Groceries arrived as ordered and loo roll stocks have been restored to a level I'm comfortable with. While I could have made meatballs, the Tesco Finest ones are on SO so I've taken the lazy option. I've had them before and enjoyed them and the tom sauce is HM from a batch I made & froze a couple of weeks ago. Still bought meatballs or not it is a nice & tasty dinner for around 1.20 for the complete meal including cooking which is fine by me. I will of course add to the cost by enjoying a large glass of red with it. There's three portions of meat balls in the pack and I'll freeze two portions uncooked for future meals. Vague meal plan done for the next few days and "use up" list updated.

• Brambling
    • By Brambling 14th Jun 19, 8:16 PM
    • 1,234 Posts
    • 6,923 Thanks
    Brambling
    Evening all

I've just returned home to a message from one of my sisters which I think will be bad news, but I can't get hold of her to confirm. My 93 year old aunt has been very ill in hospital with sepsis so I'm expecting the worst. She has only recently and reluctantly given up her home to go into a care home and wasn't doing too well with the change.

I think the house sell must have finally completed next door as I heard noises when I was cooking dinner and when I went out for a nose to put the rubbish out I could see someone in there who left by the time I finished eating, of course they could just be having another look as there was a man with a van there as well and it needs work done. The cat isn't happy he doesn't like change and he has had over seven months to take ownership of the garden and doorstep he's been sulking in bed

Lunch today was same as yesterday, egg and smoked trout salad. Dinner was a beef stir fry, beef was from the freezer and veg was a YS stir fry pack

I'm out tomorrow meeting my friend in Chichester for a catch-up lunch and maybe afternoon tea in which case there will be no need for dinner
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 14th Jun 19, 9:38 PM
    • 3,418 Posts
    • 24,241 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I had a very lazy CBA dinner of crackers, houmous and roasted peanuts.

Carrot sticks and salsa again too! Yum, totally craving the crunch and the spicy taste!

I wanted olives but the shop near me only had the idiotically industrial size jar of olives that need to be eaten within a week?!

My 93 year old aunt has been very ill in hospital with sepsis so I'm expecting the worst. She has only recently and reluctantly given up her home to go into a care home and wasn't doing too well with the change.
    Originally posted by Brambling
    I'm sorry.
    • pattypan4
    • By pattypan4 15th Jun 19, 5:54 AM
    • 314 Posts
    • 1,242 Thanks
    pattypan4
    I found some nice high protein breakfast cereal called fuel, looks like weetabix and similar sized box which is black. It is very satisfying and then I tried to find another box locally, no luck, I even explored 2 supermarkets in the car so have ordered a box of 10 from the manufacturers, working out at under 2 a box, good value. Breakfast was fuel with strawberries and hm hemp milk.

I have a portion of watercress soup left and need to start using the salad leaves. I feel as though the tail is wagging the dog re food, it will have to be salad with LO potatoes, either cold or fried. Probably a sprinkling of nuts with the salad.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 15th Jun 19, 8:42 AM
    • 67,216 Posts
    • 394,066 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I found some nice high protein breakfast cereal called fuel, looks like weetabix and similar sized box which is black.
    Originally posted by pattypan4
    Looking on mysupermarket, it would appear that Asda, Ocado and Sainsburys stock these. 2 at Asda at the moment, 2 for 4 at Ocado. Sainsburys full price at 2.80.

Of course, I realise that you're then down to individual stores' desire to stock them.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 15th Jun 19, 9:02 AM
    • 3,418 Posts
    • 24,241 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    My dog woke me up at 4 and I couldn't get back to sleep. I decided to get up about 7 and had a bath and a veg sausage sandwich. Managed to get about another half hour before something else woke me up.

It feels cold! I'm going to have a cup of green tea.
    • whmf00001
    • By whmf00001 15th Jun 19, 9:38 AM
    • 725 Posts
    • 4,963 Thanks
    whmf00001
    Sort of using up from fridge and/or freezer. No real ambition today.
    • flubberyzing
    • By flubberyzing 15th Jun 19, 10:07 AM
    • 1,270 Posts
    • 8,573 Thanks
    flubberyzing
    A cheese and tuna panini from Costas for my breakfast. Then had a browse around the garden centre to see if any new houseplants caught my eye - but nothing jumped out at me.

Might have a couple of eggs and/or fruit for lunch. Then dinner will likely be one of the burgers I got last week, which I put in the freezer, and I'll mash up the last few Jersey Royals. It'll be too much for one portion, so the remains will go in the fridge for tomorrow.

I had a sneaky early weigh-in this morning. Another 2.lbs off, making 4 in total since the diet started nearly two weeks ago. I'm not officially due to weigh in until Monday, so I'll continue to be good over the weekend, and hopefully keep that loss.
    Because it's fun to have money!
    0/70 August GC
    68.35/70 July GC
    January-June 2019 = 356.94/420

• pattypan4
    • By pattypan4 15th Jun 19, 10:48 AM
    • 314 Posts
    • 1,242 Thanks
    pattypan4
    Yes PN, I saw them online too but having driven all the way to sinasbury, they didn`t have them and asda was 20 miles the other way.

I am travelling in 40 minutes and was wondering how to get the bits eaten today, don`t want to get back to eating grabbed bread and cakes when I get back. Small salad eaten and the LO watercress yummy soup and a hm roll. I picked all the spinach leaves out of the salad leaves that came in my veg box. Uncooked spinach is not good for thyroid.

I made a quick caulie cheese for when I get back. Very quick, dried organic milk, cornflour and nutmeg with water, slaked and beaten. Heated to simmer with small bit of butter. Added pepper and strong cheese already grated in the freezer
    Phew at least I have looked after my intake today and still have the last pud for after caulie cheese and cooked spinach, dry choc sponge, soaked with hm bottled blackcurrants and topped with yoghurt

That will be it for the day, should all have been eaten by 4.30, then nothing until fuel for breakfast around 6.

I haven`t eaten so well in the last year, been stressed over selling/buying, so mainly it was grab food plus biscuts plus chocolate
    • Farway
    • By Farway 15th Jun 19, 2:32 PM
    • 7,655 Posts
    • 15,225 Thanks
    Farway
    Back from helping DS with shower pump, all went well, except motorway journey from hell, it's closed, being widened and bridge being knocked down. Stick as far west as Chichester Brambling, safe that way

Porridge breakfast
    Lunch was eat out post pump fit, in a GC, I had a corned beef & pickle sarnie, very nice, just what I fancied

Sat Nav took me on a wild wander to avoid traffic on way home, eventually I recognised where I was. I'd still be sat in traffic if it was not for SN

Dinner, I think it will be last of the breaded cod fillet + chips + frozen peas. CBA to think or prep anything more exacting
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 15th Jun 19, 4:01 PM
    • 3,418 Posts
    • 24,241 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I made the most lazy CBA soup today. I blended up a sachet of chopped tomatoes in the blender and then added sea salt, chilli salt, pepper and cayenne pepper with a splash of boiling water.

It was surprisingly nice! I had it with vegan cheeze and crackers along with carrot sticks and salsa again.
    • pattypan4
    • By pattypan4 15th Jun 19, 5:21 PM
    • 314 Posts
    • 1,242 Thanks
    pattypan4
    I must make the caulie cheese again next week, it was scrummy, real comfort food. I can make 2 portions from a small caulie and pop one in the fridge. My mouth wants some sweets or biscuits or crisps, anything tasty but I am not giving in. Will try a long drink of water instead. Am I just bored? maybe but I will nod off if I start to read. Perhaps I should find a gripping film
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,068Posts Today

7,631Users online

Martin's Twitter