Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 18, 7:48 AM
    • 5,669Posts
    • 34,540Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Three)
    • 13th Jan 18, 7:48 AM
    Cooking for one (Mark Three) 13th Jan 18 at 7:48 AM
    Welcome to Cooking one (Mark Three), time to get a shiny new thread up and running. The link to "Cooking for one (Mark Two)" can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73708876&posted=1#post73708876

Cooking For One
    13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?
    Last edited by caronc; 13-01-2018 at 7:51 AM.

Page 425
    • caronc
    • By caronc 12th Jun 19, 8:00 PM
    • 5,669 Posts
    • 34,540 Thanks
    caronc
    A taste of my childhood usually with added sand however well packed my mum made the lunch some child would walk past dragging a spade as soon as she opened them
    Originally posted by Brambling
    Snap and warm squash in a tupperware cup - oh the memories

• Brambling
    • By Brambling 12th Jun 19, 8:18 PM
    • 1,243 Posts
    • 6,991 Thanks
    Brambling
    Snap and warm squash in a tupperware cup - oh the memories
    Originally posted by caronc
    Once a year we would go via two buses to Weymouth for the day I'm sure it couldn't have always rained I remember the smell of wet donkey, sandwiches eaten in a bus shelter and the man who made the sand sculptures . By the time it stopped raining the tide would have gone out and it's a very wide beach so along way to the sea
    • caronc
    • By caronc 12th Jun 19, 8:40 PM
    • 5,669 Posts
    • 34,540 Thanks
    caronc
    No donkeys just lots of slimey, stinky seaweed & jellyfish between us & the water are what I remember, thankfully we were well kitted out with Woolies plastic sandals though the sand & plastic combination always rubbed your feet to bits

• Brambling
    • By Brambling 12th Jun 19, 9:37 PM
    • 1,243 Posts
    • 6,991 Thanks
    Brambling
    No donkeys just lots of slimey, stinky seaweed & jellyfish between us & the water are what I remember, thankfully we were well kitted out with Woolies plastic sandals though the sand & plastic combination always rubbed your feet to bits
    Weymouth was the only place with donkeys and a Punch and Judy show the more local beaches were donkey free . We were lucky even through we had no money for holidays we only lived a bus journey away from beautiful sandy beaches which is probably why I love walking by the sea
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 13th Jun 19, 4:44 AM
    • 67,228 Posts
    • 394,114 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Ah, soggy tomato sandwiches were something I still love.

Mum would make tomato sandwiches and they'd go into a Tupperware box.... then we'd go to the pool/beach and by the time it was time to eat them they were squashed with the tomato soaked in. I always LOVED them.... and still make them today. They're one of my all-time favourite sandwiches.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 13th Jun 19, 7:36 AM
    • 3,422 Posts
    • 24,281 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I like tomato sandwiches and cucumber sandwiches.

I always thought that stepping onto a pebble beach to swim in the sea without any sandals was one of the most painful things. Worst pain ever!

Gag, I hate seaweed too.

(That said last night's pasty hit the spot Wednesday (though it wasn't veggie) but soft potato in crisp pastry is such a lovely combination )
    I used to love the pasties I got at Lewisham market back in the day.
    Push yourself, because no one else is going to do it for you.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 13th Jun 19, 7:39 AM
    • 3,422 Posts
    • 24,281 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I'm having a veggie sausage (from Iceland, very nice!) sandwich for breakfast on wholemeal toast with HP sauce.
    Push yourself, because no one else is going to do it for you.
    • whmf00001
    • By whmf00001 13th Jun 19, 10:32 AM
    • 730 Posts
    • 4,989 Thanks
    whmf00001
    Making an Impossible ham and cheese quich for tonight (and tomorrow I expect) and while oven is on am doing patch of oven veggies, some they can go in freezer. Not going out for lunch with dd as she has a project nearby and has to be there so just popping in, she does most Thurs when we do lunch unless she has clients so changes day or something. 2nd dgs b'day today but he is away so may see him at weekend. Have an aubergine which may add to oven veg or make a recipe from the Asd.. magazine, or do both. Never tried them until end of last year when thought I should as they are good for you, ditto with courgettes a couple of years ago. Cannot eat cucumbers, even as a child they would make me ill, even if some-one opens a pack of sarnies I can smell the cucumber from other side of table. Tell them in restaurants, no cuc, and do not just remove it from lettuce (which they try to do) as it makes me vomit and that would not be good for them.
    • dan958
    • By dan958 13th Jun 19, 10:47 AM
    • 287 Posts
    • 507 Thanks
    dan958
    and while oven is on am doing patch of oven veggies.
    Originally posted by whmf00001
    You sound like me. 'While the oven is on, may as well throw in some sausage rolls'.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jun 19, 11:22 AM
    • 5,669 Posts
    • 34,540 Thanks
    caronc
    Good afternoon everyone,

Damy & grey here but dry so far. Rain is due later so I made the most of the dry weather to plant out my chard, calvo nero & kholrabi seedlings.
    I'm back at my Dad's just shortly but just a brief visit today so I'll wait to have lunch until I get back. I've a bagel defrosting to have toasted with some HM soup from the freezer.
    Dinner is undecided as yet, possibly bangers & mash or something of that ilk.

• Fire Fox
    • By Fire Fox 13th Jun 19, 12:23 PM
    • 25,155 Posts
    • 29,398 Thanks
    Fire Fox
    (Just) back to wearing the size smaller jeans. Would forgo alcohol and sleep for another three weeks if I could do that again!

Monday: Finally dragged myself grocery shopping and collected a parcel from the Royal Mail depot. Bought five bags of frozen fruits and vegetables, lightly-dusted yellowfin sole (MSC), free-range dairy, Parma ham, canned tuna, 85% cocoa chocolate, few bits of fresh veg. The parcel contained pot barley, dried fruits and spinach powder.

Being on my feet for two hours put my poor body into a state of shock. In the last shop I had to lean on the trolley, taxi home (planned), collapsed horizontal for a couple of hours, took two further hours to make a simple meal.

Ate YS spiced salmon fillet (lemon pepper/ korma masala) from the freezer with herby vegetables (asparagus/ chestnut mushrooms/ red onion/ YS green pesto/ flaked almonds).

At gone midnight a fruit dessert (raspberries/ sour cherries/ cinnamon/ Greek yogurt/ mixed seeds). Slept for sixteen hours.

Tuesday: Had a protein platter (jumbo prawns/ Parma ham/ Manchego cheese) and a salad bowl (edamame/ red pepper/ avocado/ shallots/ garlic/ YS red pesto).

Followed by a late night fruit dessert (rhubarb/ blackberries/ cinnamon/ Greek yogurt/ mixed seeds). Slept for fourteen hours.

Wednesday: Second YS spiced salmon fillet with Waldorf-ish salad (red cabbage/ celery heart/ green apple/ dried apricot/ hazelnuts).

Then another late night fruit dessert (redcurrants/ blackcurrants/ raspberries/ cinnamon/ Greek yogurt/ mixed seeds).

Food waste: few baby corn, one beetroot.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
    • Farway
    • By Farway 13th Jun 19, 1:07 PM
    • 7,661 Posts
    • 15,250 Thanks
    Farway
    Rain again, but into town for eye test at 9. Which left just enough time for I*land milk, and YS lean mince found, bought two packs, one dinner, one freezer

Eyes fine, but need new prescription 'cos one eye has "improved" since last time, no idea how that works. I've a cataract lurking for a few years but not doing anything so that may be why. New specs ordered for next week

More YS in A*da, individual steak mince & onion pie, just right CFO size and I like to have some in freezer

Topped up my tank as well, and by coincidence heard on news lunchtime oil has just shot up with tankers being attacked

Cheese & salady sarnie lunch

Made a YS savoury mince for dinner, using fridge bottom veg, all now in low oven. I'll pop a couple of dumplings in later. Today is just the right weather for warming comfort food

Yesterday's emergency PVR purchase went very well, ordered on line from A*gos in morning, delivered mid afternoon, set up & running before dinner. Nearly plug & play, just follow orders, only hard bit was the bendy bit to plug in back of TV
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 13th Jun 19, 4:01 PM
    • 67,228 Posts
    • 394,114 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Made a YS savoury mince for dinner, using fridge bottom veg, all now in low oven. I'll pop a couple of dumplings in later. Today is just the right weather for warming comfort food
    Originally posted by Farway
    I fancy that now.

I've lifted one of the bits of breaded cod fillet I bought YS the other day + I'll serve it with chips. I will probably open a tin of mushy peas to go with that .... and that's when it gets "CFO tricky". I opened a tin of beans two days ago, half are in the fridge. If I open the peas then I should use the other half of the tin within the next two days. So, having eaten one bit of fish it means I'll have to eat the other bit of fish to go with the other half of the tin of peas. Or, I could omit the peas and use up the half tin of beans that are already open.... but I don't want beans with my fish/chips, I want peas. So I have to decide whether to have the peas and be "forced" to then eat fish again within two days (which I might/might not fancy in any case), or have beans instead
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jun 19, 6:37 PM
    • 5,669 Posts
    • 34,540 Thanks
    caronc
    Good evening everyone,
    Well done on fitting into the smaller size jeans Fire Fox.
    The weather didn't improve but it never actually rained and as it looks as though it will be dry for the next 36 hours I nipped out and watered the garden. It will probably pour now!
    I wasn't long at my Dad's which was just in when my landline rang, it was delivery guys saying they would be with me in 25 mins with a table I had ordered. I was surprised as I had an email earlier saying was it coming tomorrow, at least I was in as they were heading back to Leeds tonight! I'm pleased with the table though it was a battle to get it out of the box, it was a tad big & heavy for unsteady me but I was determined though it took ages. Unfolded it's a decent size but folded up it fits really well against one of the bay window walls in the dining room without making the room look cluttered. It will be so handy when we have a "gathering" which tends too mean there are too many off us to fit round the dining table without and add on. I do now have a huge box of packaging which hopefully my son will take to recycling centre when he's next up as it's too much for the relevant wheelie bin.

Grocery order placed for tomorrow as I've not bought any food since 5th June so staples are running low and I've opened my last pack of loo roll which will never do! Will no doubt need to shop again next week before my son arrives but I'm finding generally every 8 or 9 days is working ok for me.

However, I could really fancy egg & beans on toast for dinner but I have no bread and I'm not sure a crumpet, bagel or pitta will be quite the same. Whatever I end up will, it will be a quick & easy option as I really cba cooking tonight. Need to have a look at my freezer lists and see what takes my fancy.
    While checking through the fridge before placing my order I realised that the tub of sour cream was still lurking and was very OOD. It was unopened but was beginning to look a bit "bulgy" so it's been ditched. I'm annoyed at the waste but it's first avoidable food waste I've had in ages so won't beat myself up too much about it

ETA - I decided a crumpet would actually work quite well so egg, mushrooms, beans & toasted crumpets it is!
    Last edited by caronc; 13-06-2019 at 6:47 PM.

• Brambling
    • By Brambling 13th Jun 19, 7:04 PM
    • 1,243 Posts
    • 6,991 Thanks
    Brambling
    Congratulations on the weight loss FireFox unless it means you've been ill, or am I just jealous of someone sleeping

Farway I've reached the age where my Shortsightedness is getting better (the first time since I was 13 ) and my longsightedness is getting worst, which has worked out very expensive the last couple of years as I can't buy cheap glasses on line.

Caronc I get told I'm too independent and should ask for help more, I get the feeling you could be the same? Not wanting to allow the table to beat you

Food wise it's been a fishy day . Lunch was a smoked trout and egg salad. I filleted a mackerel and panned fried it for dinner and made a version of a tapenade (chopped parsley, olives, capers, anchovies, gerkin and red wine vinegar) with French beans, edamame beans and tender stem broccoli. The tapenade cut through the mackerel richness
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jun 19, 7:07 PM
    • 5,669 Posts
    • 34,540 Thanks
    caronc

Caronc I get told I'm too independent and should ask for help more, I get the feeling you could be the same? Not wanting to allow the table to beat you
    Guilty as charged......
    Your dinner sounds scrumptious

• Brambling
    • By Brambling 13th Jun 19, 7:12 PM
    • 1,243 Posts
    • 6,991 Thanks
    Brambling
    Your dinner sounds scrumptious
    It was . And as the veg was all LOs it was a quick dinner chopping the tapenade ingredients whilst the fish cooked. Mackerel are a easy fish to fillet
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jun 19, 7:21 PM
    • 5,669 Posts
    • 34,540 Thanks
    caronc
    Mackerel are a easy fish to fillet
    They are indeed some like sole I find a tad more tricky

• Brambling
    • By Brambling 13th Jun 19, 7:26 PM
    • 1,243 Posts
    • 6,991 Thanks
    Brambling
    They are indeed some like sole I find a tad more tricky
    I must admit I do try to avoid filleting flat fish, it comes under the umbrella of things I know what to do and can do it but cba to do it most of the time
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jun 19, 7:51 PM
    • 5,669 Posts
    • 34,540 Thanks
    caronc
    I must admit I do try to avoid filleting flat fish, it comes under the umbrella of things I know what to do and can do it but cba to do it most of the time
    Ditto- as far as I'm concerned I can if I have to, but that's what fishmongers and weans are for

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,439Posts Today

8,677Users online

Martin's Twitter