Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    • 3,625Posts
    • 23,663Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Three)
    • 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    Cooking for one (Mark Three) 13th Jan 18 at 8:48 AM
    Welcome to Cooking one (Mark Three), time to get a shiny new thread up and running. The link to "Cooking for one (Mark Two)" can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73708876&posted=1#post73708876

Cooking For One
    13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?
    Last edited by caronc; 13-01-2018 at 8:51 AM.
    GC - Jan18 55/120, Feb18 68/120, Mar 104/150, Apr 164/200
    GC YTD - 391/590
Page 41
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 10th Feb 18, 11:10 PM
    • 4,737 Posts
    • 47,173 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    Back on topic, I returned to my tinned stores for this evening's meal. I had saag aloo, using tinned spinach (massive tin from Wing Yip, great value) and the aforementioned tinned spuds.

Saag aloo was spiced up with cumin, turmeric and wholegrain mustard, with some olive oil mixed in so everything stuck together.

Although this sounds more like a side than a main meal, the spices really lift it and give it a bit of zip, so that, like daal, it is more than the sum of its parts.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 11th Feb 18, 7:02 AM
    • 11,824 Posts
    • 73,791 Thanks
    kittie
    flubbery, teach me how to mentally get rid of nice but bulky furniture? I know I would probably have to pay someone to take it, like the last time when I had this fantastic ercol dresser but it was dark brown. I had to pay 50 to have it taken away. You would faint at the original price of it. It is the mental thing, my lovely sofa is large, squashy and dark brown dull colour leather with bright earthy cushions. I can sleep on it if needed but it will be too big sooner or later

I would love a conservatory when I move and will make sure I get one or update one to be more energy efficient. If I could turn the clock back 30 years then all my furniture would be modular, light oak, smaller pieces that fit together in whatever space I had. Now I have some bits that are bulky and alone would fill a room. I know one day I will have to truly downsize for the last time but not now, in ten years maybe

I`ll think of food later, a bit stomach churny thinking about getting rid of stuff
    • caronc
    • By caronc 11th Feb 18, 8:13 AM
    • 3,625 Posts
    • 23,663 Thanks
    caronc
    I'm not sure what your reasoning is, but don't give daddy longlegs a reprieve, please! Do kill them. Their larvae are those evil little leatherjackets that live in soil and destroy seedlings and small plants.

RHS on leatherjackets
    Originally posted by mcculloch29
    I didn't know that - I shall whack them in future!
    GC YTD - 391/590
    • caronc
    • By caronc 11th Feb 18, 8:14 AM
    • 3,625 Posts
    • 23,663 Thanks
    caronc
    Back on topic, I returned to my tinned stores for this evening's meal. I had saag aloo, using tinned spinach (massive tin from Wing Yip, great value) and the aforementioned tinned spuds.

Saag aloo was spiced up with cumin, turmeric and wholegrain mustard, with some olive oil mixed in so everything stuck together.

Although this sounds more like a side than a main meal, the spices really lift it and give it a bit of zip, so that, like daal, it is more than the sum of its parts.
    Originally posted by mcculloch29
    That sounds just scrummy
    GC YTD - 391/590
    • caronc
    • By caronc 11th Feb 18, 8:47 AM
    • 3,625 Posts
    • 23,663 Thanks
    caronc
    Good morning everyone,

Brrr it's cold here this morning, snow is forecast and there are lots of purple clouds gathering so round about will get some even we don't.

Definitely a day for the pea and ham soup I'm going to make once I've finished my cuppa and got myself organised.
    GC YTD - 391/590
    • Elona
    • By Elona 11th Feb 18, 9:06 AM
    • 159 Posts
    • 1,745 Thanks
    Elona
    kittie

We had some pine furniture that had gone orange and donated it to a couple of dds who promptly painted it in grey, cream or white and it looks really good.

Middle dd bought some dark dining room room furniture from gumtree a few years ago and painted it white/ cream and I recovered the dining chairs in a pale mint shabby chic tapestry fabric and even had enough fabric for a seat and bolster on the window ledge.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 11th Feb 18, 9:24 AM
    • 15,369 Posts
    • 42,847 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Got an idea I might do one of the recipes from my list for dinner today - ie pesto carrot noodles with white beans and tomatoes.

The "noodles" being spiralised carrots.

Just had a check of the ingredients and see the "green" part of the pesto is down as being basil. Darn - forgot to get basil. I do have spinach in - and my French sorrel in the garden seems to be starting to re-grow early for the spring. So I'm guessing I could use spinach/bit of sorrel instead of the basil.

The "nutty Parm" (non dairy equivalent of Parmesan) is made with nuts and nutritional yeast and I've not tried making that element before - fingers crossed it will be to my taste.
    Fastest way to get a headache = try and make someone that thinks for themselves conform to local "group think"
    • Glad
    • By Glad 11th Feb 18, 10:13 AM
    • 17,871 Posts
    • 39,145 Thanks
    Glad
    It's a nice looking day, but is really cold.

I see no point in leaving the house .... I have nowhere to go and nothing specific to do. Leaving the house involves spending money. So I see no point in leaving the house.

I have pie in the fridge.

If you're not going out for something, or to something, or for a reason, there's no reason to go out there is there.... just because "well, it looks nice/sunny out there", when, in fact, you know it's cold....
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    I agree PN we were forecast snow today but it's actually sunny and blue skies, morning dog walk was freezing though!!

I'd love to spend the day in my comfies in the warm (and most of it will be) but need to go on another walk later, I'll combine it with a visit to my local cemetery, wrapped up in lot's of woolies
    I'm a Board Guide on the Money Savers Arms, Discussion Time, Wales, Competitions, Marriage Relationships & Families, Health and Pet Care boards. However, please do remember, board guides don't read every post. if you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    Compers please read the Comping Guide
    • caronc
    • By caronc 11th Feb 18, 10:24 AM
    • 3,625 Posts
    • 23,663 Thanks
    caronc
    I suspect the sum of my venturing out today will be to the bin....

Dried peas are currently in the pressure cooker, just need to get the veggies chopped.
    GC YTD - 391/590
    • kittie
    • By kittie 11th Feb 18, 10:25 AM
    • 11,824 Posts
    • 73,791 Thanks
    kittie
    We had some pine furniture that had gone orange and donated it to a couple of dds who promptly painted it in grey, cream or white and it looks really good.
    Originally posted by Elona
    I have a pine chest in a bedroom that has gone orange, I think I will do the same after I have moved, sounds lovely

I have been doing house jobs, getting rid, cleaning, replacing a bulb and starter motor. Finished for the day. Nice start: bacon 1 thin sausage and 2 eggs. Just has thin toast and jam, am loving the texture of hm bread toasted, very crispy

Lunch has to be salad and I see a jar of roll mops. Fab I like them. No flipping idea for last meal, maybe odds and sods like parkin, fruit, mushroom pate on oatcakes

went very dark and just had hailstones, very cold out so am trying to vary the day to avoid cabin fever
    • caronc
    • By caronc 11th Feb 18, 10:39 AM
    • 3,625 Posts
    • 23,663 Thanks
    caronc
    It's snowing.....
    GC YTD - 391/590
    • Farway
    • By Farway 11th Feb 18, 10:50 AM
    • 6,095 Posts
    • 9,562 Thanks
    Farway
    It's a nice looking day, but is really cold.

I see no point in leaving the house .... I have nowhere to go and nothing specific to do. Leaving the house involves spending money. So I see no point in leaving the house.

I have pie in the fridge.

If you're not going out for something, or to something, or for a reason, there's no reason to go out there is there.... just because "well, it looks nice/sunny out there", when, in fact, you know it's cold....
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    I also agree, yesterday was dank & wet, today looks lovely but I just know it is bitter out, and like you I do not "need" anything, except maybe fresh air.
    I will have to venture out tomorrow though, prescription to renew,and milk is getting low

The 2017 summer blackberry & apple crumble I made yesterday turned out extremely well, just enough juice to ooze a bit into the topping. Plenty left. I had it with Greek yoghurt because I have two pots of that with BBE end Jan, so think it's getting nearly time they were eaten

Breakfast was a pot of loose leaf tea, with HM yoghurt & honey
    Lunch will be BF ham & salad sarnie

Dinner, more use it up as per yesterday, grilled last gammon steak, with last of the not quite wrinkly mushrooms, grilled getting wrinkled tomato & BBE Jan eggs in omelette, followed by some of my B & A crumble with Greek yog
    • Farway
    • By Farway 11th Feb 18, 10:51 AM
    • 6,095 Posts
    • 9,562 Thanks
    Farway
    It's snowing.....
    Originally posted by caronc
    A nice day for the soup
    • caronc
    • By caronc 11th Feb 18, 10:59 AM
    • 3,625 Posts
    • 23,663 Thanks
    caronc
    A nice day for the soup
    Originally posted by Farway
    It is indeed, it's actually now snowing quite heavily which is unusual for here being so close to the sea.
    GC YTD - 391/590
    • caronc
    • By caronc 11th Feb 18, 11:05 AM
    • 3,625 Posts
    • 23,663 Thanks
    caronc
    Good Morning

I feel like I've just jumped out of a plane lol. Couldn't face breakfast, but it will be roast beef with all the trimmings for lunch - courtesy of my lodger who is here until the end of the month

Hope everyone is well
    Originally posted by MrAPJI
    Welcome back - hope you had a lovely time
    GC YTD - 391/590
    • caronc
    • By caronc 11th Feb 18, 11:32 AM
    • 3,625 Posts
    • 23,663 Thanks
    caronc
    Thank you Caron . To be honest, the trip opened up a lot of wounds. My mother-in-law was in a very bad place emotionally. To lose a wife is bad enough, but to lose a child is something else. However, spending time with her has helped and she is now eating again and the oil paints are back in use . On a positive note - it was lovely to see the sun and feel it's warmth and I was able to enjoy some wonderful bike rides and spend a lot of time with family
    Originally posted by MrAPJI
    Unfortunately it was never going to be easy, but I'm sure both you and your mother-in-law would have got comfort from being together to grieve and hopefully heal a little.
    GC YTD - 391/590
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 11th Feb 18, 11:40 AM
    • 1,811 Posts
    • 12,391 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    A nice day for the soup
    Originally posted by Farway
    I just had some HM soup for brunch.

It's sunny here today, but still cold.
    2018: Simplify your life
    Books Read 22/60
    • wort
    • By wort 11th Feb 18, 11:51 AM
    • 723 Posts
    • 9,838 Thanks
    wort
    Welcome back Mr AP I'm sure mil appreciated you going to see her. The sun would sure be welcome.
    McCulloch - I love aloo saag and could definitely eat it as a main meal!!
    Kittie - I've painted pine furniture before, and that was before the the advent of chalk paint. Aldi had some chalk paint on offer I think it was 4.99 they had white cream and grey, it's usually quite expensive.
    If you want to get rid of the dresser, maybe offer it on eBay or free cycle, that way they would need to arrange pick up. Lots of people buy them to up cycle.

I've cleaned up after having family round last night. Opened the windows whilst I did it, glorious sunshine but blowing a hooley.
    Breakfast was toast and cheese spread for me dgson had bacon sausage and egg.
    He's already asking about lunch!! Piri piri chicken and cheese on toastie for us both.
    Tea is roast beef, cauli sprouts and carrots and Yorkshire puds, not decided on the potatoes yet.
    Gfree choc pud and custard for sweet.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 11th Feb 18, 12:50 PM
    • 3,625 Posts
    • 23,663 Thanks
    caronc
    It has thankfully stopped snowing - though it's still cold and windy.

The pea and ham soup was just the thing (and not a chicken in sight), I had a small bowful and a crusty roll with some of gammon and hot beetroot chutney
    GC YTD - 391/590
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 11th Feb 18, 1:19 PM
    • 15,369 Posts
    • 42,847 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Well - lunch today was courtesy of my latest cookbook (yes...I know...I know...and I really must stop buying any more...).

So - courtesy of "The Engine 2 Diet" by Rip Esselstyn was Rip's Big Bowl. That being a cereal bowl of what he does for his team of fellow firefighters in an American fire station - 4 different types of cereals (well it would have been but local Tesco didnt have Grape Nuts) and I had to substitute a healthy sugar-free muesli for Uncle Sam Cereal (which we cant get in this country) plus a banana, a kiwifruit and a grapefruit. With walnuts/raisins/ground flaxseeds and served with plant mylk (rice mylk in my case).

Landed up hoicking out half the grapefruit and deciding it will go with porridge at breakfast tomorrow - too much "sharpness" for me having a whole one in there.

Can see why he calls it "Big Bowl" and might do half quantity in future. After all he and most?/all? of his firefighter crew are hefty great men and he's also a champion athlete and he's converted the whole shift over to a vegan healthy diet. I'm a little woman and most definitely not an athlete.

Shall work my way through that one basically when I've finished all the ones I want to try from the "How not to die" cookbook.

Hopes I didn't come back with more food than one person really needs from yesterday's shopping trip - as I hoicked some soup out of the freezer yesterday and I know I'm expecting one meal out at any rate this week (ie meal out with a friend).
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 11-02-2018 at 1:24 PM.
    Fastest way to get a headache = try and make someone that thinks for themselves conform to local "group think"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,794Posts Today

8,992Users online

Martin's Twitter