Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 18, 7:48 AM
    • 5,309Posts
    • 32,591Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Three)
    • 13th Jan 18, 7:48 AM
    Cooking for one (Mark Three) 13th Jan 18 at 7:48 AM
    Welcome to Cooking one (Mark Three), time to get a shiny new thread up and running. The link to "Cooking for one (Mark Two)" can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73708876&posted=1#post73708876

Cooking For One
    13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?
    Last edited by caronc; 13-01-2018 at 7:51 AM.

Page 409
    • caronc
    • By caronc 16th May 19, 6:33 PM
    • 5,309 Posts
    • 32,591 Thanks
    caronc
    Good evening everyone,
    Oh I just love spanakoptia and while mine is decent enough it's not as good as my son's Greek fiancee's even though I seem to make it the same way. I wish I had some lurking in the freezer that, a nice greek salad and a glass of wine would just hit the spot tonight!
    I'm a tired teddy thos evening , did a load of bendy housework this morning and then after a quick nap headed out to carry on planting. It was a bit of gloomy, dampish start to the day but it then turned lovely & sunny. Maybe not quite a hot as yesterday but still pretty warm. I had a small grocery shop delivered (made up with beer for the kids next week and some wine for the rack to meet the minimum basket charge) mainly bits for my friend coming over tomorrow and enough staples to keep me going over the weekend as I'll need to stock up for a houseful at the beginning of the week. Lunch was a tasty seeded sub roll filled with the remaining pastrami, some cream cheese & sliced tomato and 1/2 a huge crisp apple. It was far too big for me to do it justice so the other half is sitting cut side down in a little water in the fridge. Seriously cba so dinner will be a fridge/freezer rummage and see what I fancy.

• Brambling
    • By Brambling 16th May 19, 8:18 PM
    • 864 Posts
    • 4,796 Thanks
    Brambling
    Evening all

I've just managed to get off the phone with one my sister's a lovely long catch up until my BIL asked what we had to talk about for an hour . Not the easiest conversation as I was wearing the cat, he was draped across my bust purring in my ear I'm assuming he through I was talking to him.

Lovely drive home tonight and as I passed the house near me with the peacocks there was one on each gate post with long tails hanging down with a third standing between them, I just wish I could have stopped but there was a car behind me and it's a narrow lane

Lunch today was the last of the chicken in a salad, I brought a half cooked one and it did me four good lunches. Dinner was Nasi Goreng with some LO runner beans and broccoli, I had no cooked rice so I used a sachet of rice so nice and quick, there's enough LO Nasi for tomorrow lunch minus the veg and egg. Salmon take out of the freezer for tomorrow dinner I'll have to think what to do with it, will depend on what kind of day I have tomorrow probably will be something simple as I have new potatoes to use up
    • flubberyzing
    • By flubberyzing 16th May 19, 8:23 PM
    • 1,226 Posts
    • 8,308 Thanks
    flubberyzing
    Hope you are being MSE and making stock from the carcass, I do love how a whole chicken stretches into many meals.
    Originally posted by caronc
    I didn't, I'm afraid. Stock isn't something I ever use in my cooking, and my freezer space is only 3 smallish drawers, so it would be a waste of time/space. On the extremely rare occasion I need some stock, I just use a cube.

Dinner tonight was "chicken curry in a can" with boil in the bag rice. I wasn't home from tutoring until nearly 7:30, so just wanted something I could be eating quickly. It sounds a bit unsavory, but I actually really like the Tescos "curry in a can" and always try to have at least one or two cans in the cupboard for quick dinners.
    Because it's fun to have money!
    £37.68/£70 May GC
    January-April 2019 = £248.80/£280

• Fire Fox
    • By Fire Fox 17th May 19, 1:58 AM
    • 24,624 Posts
    • 28,503 Thanks
    Fire Fox
    Wednesday: Just snacked no proper meals.

Made rhubarb and grapefruit sauce (ruby red grapefruit juice/ banana shallots/ orange peel/ ginger/ garlic/ soy sauce/ spices). Originally planned as rhubarb and orange sauce but I used the last orange in a salad days ago!

Thursday: Smoked mackerel fillets from the freezer with a ladleful of rhubarb and grapefruit sauce. Took the entire afternoon to eat because I did not fancy it at all.

Huge bowl of fruit with the last of the kilo of Lancs. Farm Greek yogurt. Tiny bit of mould high up in the tub so finished just in time.

Bowl of bolognese sauce with chestnut mushrooms, sunblush tomatoes and Stilton. The tastiest incarnation to date!

Food waste: Tomato salad (left out of the fridge). Half a wedge of Grana padano cheese (mega mouldy).

Going food shopping tomorrow, partly because I have a £5 Lidl voucher. Plenty of food in the flat but little that I am craving or enjoying.
    Last edited by Fire Fox; 17-05-2019 at 2:03 AM.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️ Trainee Rosie the Riveter.
    • Fire Fox
    • By Fire Fox 17th May 19, 2:16 AM
    • 24,624 Posts
    • 28,503 Thanks
    Fire Fox
    Evening all

I love spanakopita Firefox I like to make in triangles and freeze raw, they cook from frozen in the air fryer
    Originally posted by Brambling
    I have not used pastry for years and am rubbish at following recipes, so this could go quite badly!

Dinner tonight was "chicken curry in a can" with boil in the bag rice. I wasn't home from tutoring until nearly 7:30, so just wanted something I could be eating quickly. It sounds a bit unsavory, but I actually really like the Tescos "curry in a can" and always try to have at least one or two cans in the cupboard for quick dinners.
    Originally posted by flubberyzing
    Yes! Tescon's canned curries are tasty and really convenient, just as you say. I add chopped veggies and microwave, which makes it fairly healthy too.

Shame they discontinued the canned lamb curry in favour of a beef curry though. I tried their lamb rogan josh ready meal when yellow stickered but was tasteless.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 17th May 19, 5:57 AM
    • 66,226 Posts
    • 389,096 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    ... Pukka ...
    Originally posted by Farway

I spotted some deep/single Pukka pies in L1dl last weekend, price 99p. Not sure how long they're there for/how long they've been there, they appeared to be in some "once it's gone it's gone" red shelf sticker section in the chiller dept.

I picked a box up, then put it back as I'm supposed to be eating what I've already got.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 17th May 19, 9:06 AM
    • 7,221 Posts
    • 13,512 Thanks
    Farway
    Had a slice of toast & jam later last night, more habit than hunger really. And then forgot to knock up oats for overnight soaking, did remember to get pork chop out to defrost though

It was still porridge for breakfast, just not overnight soaked
    Lunch, no idea at all, I expect toast will be in there somewhere

Dinner, I'll grill the pork chop & maybe more frozen chips. I'll look like a chip soon

Maybe steak tomorrow, I've ordered a meat basher as I'm stuck in and hence can catch the post due today
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 17th May 19, 2:10 PM
    • 2,790 Posts
    • 20,265 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I woke up this morning and sat up and I have the dreaded vertigo back.

It must be to do with my iron being low from yesterday. I can't remember that being a cause when I had vertigo before, but I looked online and it is.

I have ordered an iron supplement to arrive tomorrow.

I forced myself to eat a sandwich this morning and I took a multivitamin with iron and then went back to sleep. I feel marginally better, but still very dizzy and cold.

I have to eat something iron rich, maybe roasted chickpeas. I am not hungry as I feel sick but I'm going to force myself.
    Push yourself, because no one else is going to do it for you.
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 17th May 19, 2:35 PM
    • 864 Posts
    • 4,796 Thanks
    Brambling
    Sorry you’re feeling yuck Wednesday, how much blood did they take

I intended to quickly popped into W*itrose lunchtime as it had stopped raining and they’re the closest, I only needed a couple things. Surprisingly as it was only 1.30pm I picked up a bumper crop of YS fruit and veg, amongst other things 4 very large oranges 50p, pack of 4 specialty apples 50p and 2 packs of baby figs 50p I also stocked up on YS runner beans, broccoli, asparagus, tender stem broccoli, fennel, rhubarb, blackberries, mango and muscat grapes, all about a quarter of their original price there was loads I wasn’t greedy and only picked one pack of each except for the figs My sister may benefit tomorrow. At the weekend I will be cooking apple and blackberry and rhubarb crumbles stewed fruit and making a large fruit salad.

The meat YSs prices for most things weren’t so generous so I walked away, there's no room in my freezer I am regretting not picking up the boned, rolled half leg of lamb for £5.50 but would have had to cook it tomorrow or lose it to my sister’s freezer. Luckily the shop is only five minute walk back up the hill to the office as it was heavy

Lunch was LO nasi goreng, dinner will be salmon new potatoes and a selection of the above veg
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 17th May 19, 3:14 PM
    • 2,790 Posts
    • 20,265 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    Sorry you’re feeling yuck Wednesday, how much blood did they take
    Originally posted by Brambling
    They must have taken quite a bit as I was getting tested for 7 things!

I feel a bit better now I've eaten. I took another multivitamin tablet too as it says you can take 1-2 a day.
    • Fire Fox
    • By Fire Fox 17th May 19, 3:40 PM
    • 24,624 Posts
    • 28,503 Thanks
    Fire Fox
    Wednesday2000: Boo to vertigo and nausea. They would not normally take enough blood to affect your haem iron. My guess would be the fasting has affected your blood glucose or hydration levels (food helps us hold water), or even getting hot and stressed.

Protein is great, especially with 'slow release' carbs (natural combination in your pulses) helps stabilise blood glucose levels. Beans or lentils with nuts or seeds is a really mineral-rich and protein-rich combination.

It might be worth reviewing the balance of your nutrient supplements with your pharmacist, practice nurse or doctor when you get the test results? Prescription/ pharmacy iron tablets (ferrous sulphate) for treatment are a different strength and dose frequency to regular multi/ iron tablets for maintenance.

My little girl is sending you some furry love!
    • flubberyzing
    • By flubberyzing 17th May 19, 4:18 PM
    • 1,226 Posts
    • 8,308 Thanks
    flubberyzing
    I'm doing steak and kidney pie and mash for dinner in a bit... Often, I would pop to the supermarket for something "special" for Friday night tea, but I'm trying to be good, and eat what I've got. Plus, tomorrow night I'm out for drinks and curry with the girls, and it's half an hour away. So that'll be a £30 night out.

I'm now suffering with a cold, which isn't much fun... I've only just gotten over that horrible conjunctivitis, and then a sore throat started to setting in about 48 hours ago, which is always the precursor to a cold for me...
    It feels like a bit of a bad run, health-wise!
    Because it's fun to have money!
    £37.68/£70 May GC
    January-April 2019 = £248.80/£280

• Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 17th May 19, 4:21 PM
    • 2,790 Posts
    • 20,265 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000: Boo to vertigo and nausea. They would not normally take enough blood to affect your haem iron. My guess would be the fasting has affected your blood glucose or hydration levels (food helps us hold water), or even getting hot and stressed.

Protein is great, especially with 'slow release' carbs (natural combination in your pulses) helps stabilise blood glucose levels. Beans or lentils with nuts or seeds is a really mineral-rich and protein-rich combination.

It might be worth reviewing the balance of your nutrient supplements with your pharmacist, practice nurse or doctor when you get the test results? Prescription/ pharmacy iron tablets (ferrous sulphate) for treatment are a different strength and dose frequency to regular multi/ iron tablets for maintenance.

My little girl is sending you some furry love!
    Originally posted by Fire Fox
    Yes, I had some roasted chickpeas with some pistachio nuts for lunch.

I think it's because I have my period as well and it was hot yesterday. I did fast for about 15 hours beforehand as I go in later to the clinic as it is less busy.

It's just that vertigo usually leads to a migraine for me.

I have taken Mefenamic acid for period pains today and I do have a triptan medication but I think the GP said not to take them together.

I feel a bit better after a hot shower and a hot drink and taking more tablets.

They are checking my iron, B12 and folic acid in the blood tests as they thought I might have pernicious anaemia.

Thanks to the furry one.x
    • caronc
    • By caronc 17th May 19, 6:48 PM
    • 5,309 Posts
    • 32,591 Thanks
    caronc
    Good evening everyone,
    Wednesday - sounds as though your vertigo may be part of the migraine cycle and fasting/monthlies could be a migraine trigger for you. Definitely worth a chat with your GP? Hope it settles quickly. <hugs>
    Flubberyzing hope your cold doesn't develope and spoil your weekend <hugs>
    Good haul Brambling on the YS front - great will power in resisting the lamb
    Have fun with your basher Farway
    Like the sound of a rhubarb and grapefruit sauce Fire Fox was it tart or sweetened?
    I had a lovely long catch up with my friend, we hadn't actually managed to physically meet up for ages so we had plenty to natter about. After a wet start to the day the sun shone for us and we sat in the warmth putting the world to rights. Picky/salady bits for lunch with minimal LOs and used up the "spare" 1/2 apple from yesterday. It is supposed to be wet tomorrow so after a snooze when she left I got some more planting done, still don't feel as though I've broken the back of yet but I'll get there, then there's the veg planting/ greenhouse to sort out.........
    Dinner will something from the freezer. The mention of pies reminds me I have a cornish pasty in there so might just defrost it in the microwave then bung it in the oven. I need to water the veg plants in my conservatory and I'll decide from there.

• Fire Fox
    • By Fire Fox 17th May 19, 7:13 PM
    • 24,624 Posts
    • 28,503 Thanks
    Fire Fox
    Quick chilli con carne (bolognese sauce/ spicy kidney beans/ long peppers/ sunblush tomatoes/ chilli) for breakfast. Leftovers.

This afternoon a small bowl of YS kiwi fruit and YS nectarine with YS ricotta cheese. Eating up.

I may somehow have accidentally ordered a Chinese. THIS IS YOUR FAULT PEOPLE.

Sesame prawn toast, seaweed, banana fritters, pineapple fritters. RING ANY BELLS??
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 17th May 19, 7:37 PM
    • 864 Posts
    • 4,796 Thanks
    Brambling
    Quick chilli con carneI may somehow have accidentally ordered a Chinese. THIS IS YOUR FAULT PEOPLE.

Sesame prawn toast, seaweed, banana fritters, pineapple fritters. RING ANY BELLS??
    Not guilty your honour i haven't had Chinese for ages
    • caronc
    • By caronc 17th May 19, 7:43 PM
    • 5,309 Posts
    • 32,591 Thanks
    caronc
    Nor me..... though I'd not say no to a fritter

• Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 17th May 19, 7:59 PM
    • 2,790 Posts
    • 20,265 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    God, I feel much better, I rinsed my head/hair/back of neck in cold water, put on warm socks, took medication and feel back to normal again.

I was really hungry, I've eaten loads of things tonight.

I'm now suffering with a cold, which isn't much fun... I've only just gotten over that horrible conjunctivitis, and then a sore throat started to setting in about 48 hours ago, which is always the precursor to a cold for me...
    It feels like a bit of a bad run, health-wise!
    Originally posted by flubberyzing
    Sorry, I missed this. Hope you feel better soon.xx

Good evening everyone,
    Wednesday - sounds as though your vertigo may be part of the migraine cycle and fasting/monthlies could be a migraine trigger for you. Definitely worth a chat with your GP? Hope it settles quickly. <hugs>
    Originally posted by caronc
    I kept getting migraines three days after my period ended and my GP said it was low iron so I did start taking iron tablets and then forgot to replace them when they ran out.

I'm definitely going to start taking them again.

I had a dream that I was eating a banana fritter the other night.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 18th May 19, 5:43 AM
    • 66,226 Posts
    • 389,096 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    ...dreaded vertigo .

It must be to do with my iron being low... I looked online and it is.

I have ordered an iron supplement to arrive tomorrow....
    Originally posted by Wednesday2000
    As I was reading, I was envisaging what you were saying... and it was only when I got THIS far I realised you weren't talking about ironing

In my mind I was thinking it through, that maybe the way you were standing while ironing shirts, was giving you that

It annoys me that you can do it accidentally, while I've been trying to will myself to do just that for about 4-5 weeks. I just can't quite get there.... I think of it, want it, dream of it, then always justify to myself why I should be eating what I've already got.

I have Chinese envy now.

As I'll be moving at some point I'm currently trying to eat what I've got... certainly the freezer stuff and then it'll be packets.

I've mostly been eating beans on toast and scrambled eggs the last few days (4x as a main meal I think). Yesterday I used up an opened packet of stuffing and had some instant mash with baked beans and peas. Yes, that was it: mash, stuffing, beans and peas I CBA to think further than that, it was "food".
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 18-05-2019 at 5:47 AM.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 18th May 19, 9:06 AM
    • 7,221 Posts
    • 13,512 Thanks
    Farway
    I only had the grilled pork chop last night, didn't even fancy frozen chips with it. Obviously not quite over the operation, same as when child is really ill they don't even want a sweet.

I did have two finger kit kat later though

Fire Fox, the accidental Chinese was my fault, MFO beef in black been sauce + egg flied lice this week

I had a dream that I was eating a banana fritter the other night.
    Originally posted by Wednesday2000
    Then woke up with half the pillow missing? Boom Boom, can't beat the old ones

Risked my first shower post op this morning, very welcome, not sure I'd risk a bath but I only have a walk in shower anyway

Porridge for breakfast
    The meat basher arrived OK and had it's first outing this morning on a lump of rump I'd defrosted overnight.

The biffed steak is now marinating in fridge for tonight's dinner

Clouds have rolled in, with maybe rain later. My beans may have yet another day in their pot

PN, ideal food when CFO & CBA, it fills a hole and empties a packet or two

Lunch, no idea
    Last edited by Farway; 18-05-2019 at 9:08 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,306Posts Today

6,694Users online

Martin's Twitter