Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    • 3,892Posts
    • 24,834Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Three)
    • 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    Cooking for one (Mark Three) 13th Jan 18 at 8:48 AM
    Welcome to Cooking one (Mark Three), time to get a shiny new thread up and running. The link to "Cooking for one (Mark Two)" can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73708876&posted=1#post73708876

Cooking For One
    13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?
    Last edited by caronc; 13-01-2018 at 8:51 AM.
    GC - Mar 104/150, Apr 164/200, May 96/120, Jun 206/230
    GC YTD 2018- 605/940
Page 40
    • wort
    • By wort 10th Feb 18, 10:01 AM
    • 778 Posts
    • 10,214 Thanks
    wort
    I'm in a modern 3 bed semi. Small hall no room for furniture, with toilet off it. Straight ahead is lounge,which used to have the stairs in it, which we had walled off , made I huge difference to heating the room It freezing now when I go into the stair area!!!! From the lounge double doors to a kitchen dining area double doors through to conservatory which we had roofed 18 months ago, but is still too cold in winter unless I put the oil heater on.
    Upstairs us 2 bedrooms and a box room which just has wardrobes in it. And an airing cupboard on landing and bathroom with a bath with shower over it. This would of been our next area to change to take out the bath and install a full wall length shower. My niece has a house on this estate and has done that and it's great.

Breakfast was a banana and vanilla yogurt.
    I'm just waiting for the washer to finish before I have a shower. Unfortunately it's raining!!!
    I should have done it yesterday when it was sunny and windy, but wanted to put dgsons uniform in
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 10th Feb 18, 10:31 AM
    • 3,892 Posts
    • 24,834 Thanks
    caronc
    That's a huge pudding lol

If you like creme carmel you should try this https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/261048135
    GC YTD 2018- 605/940
    • Farway
    • By Farway 10th Feb 18, 11:23 AM
    • 6,241 Posts
    • 9,963 Thanks
    Farway
    Also had to change password, why? wish t hey would leave things alone. TV also giving me the evil eye, some channels have been changed, follow instructions, would if I could find them lol .

Had a senior moment and tipped the carefully strained chicken stock back into electric pressure cooker without the inner pot, big clean up and now error messages from said appliance.

My all singing and dancing, expensive lol, sewing machine is having a hickey fit, my lovely yoghurt maker decided to take a holiday and didn't yog.

Cant decide if I should, if its still possible, just to forget modern stuff and haunt the car boots for reliable, lol ,old stuff or let them cart me off to a care home.

Oh and I also cant find where I stored photos so I can post on here, you were kind enough to advise some time ago.

Anyway just wanted to ask how much is the beef on offer from lydl next Thursday.
    Originally posted by meg72
    Sounds like the machines are out to get you, what a bummer

I'm having problems this morning on Internet banking, both sites I've tried are sloooow, and have notes about "upgrades" tomorrow, more improvements to confuse the already confused I expect

Anyway, to answer two questions, image posting is

https://postimages.org/ and follow instructions

Lild beef offer from Thursday 15th, "British beef lean diced steak" 400 grammes, 2.19, normal price 2.59

Frosty morning, but now turned to cold rain, CBA to go out in it, nothing needed urgently so could be binge watching summat later

Breakfast was pot of loose leaf tea because I had time, followed by HM yoghurt with honey, my maker still yogs, but it was a new at Christmas so it blooming well should

Lunch will be the final 1/8 of the C & O pie, with piccalilli

Dinner is planned as a grilled gammon steak, with frozen chips, omelette using OOD eggs, grilled wizened tomatoes and grilled "not quite wrinkly but soon will be" mushrooms. Sounds a gourmet MSE feast
    • caronc
    • By caronc 10th Feb 18, 11:54 AM
    • 3,892 Posts
    • 24,834 Thanks
    caronc
    My loose menu plan for this week (no doubt will vary a bit..)
    Tonight: gammon & pineapple, corn cobette, baked tomato and baked spud
    Sun: roast beef & gravy, green beans, sprouts, potato & mushroom gratin
    Mon: either beef stew & dumpling or chilli or curry (something with stewing steak anyway)
    Tues: Savoury pancakes (if I CBA to make them) filling tbc
    Weds: SC vension sausages with lentils & root veg
    Thurs: spinach & ricotta lasagne
    Fri: mince round, gravy, peas & corn, oven chips

I was hoping not to get a shop until Thursday but can't see me lasting that long - my last grocery shop was 3/2 so I'm running short of some staples so it will probably be Tues/Weds.
    GC YTD 2018- 605/940
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 10th Feb 18, 11:56 AM
    • 62,818 Posts
    • 368,065 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I cooked the pie, mash, carrots, peas ... made up some gravy.... and I've already eaten it

Bit of washing up to do, but it's all in soak and it's not much, just one measuring jug, one mug, one takeaway box, one tiny plastic pot ... and my plate/fork.

That's the last of the spuds all gone ... I've a couple of portions frozen in the freezer still, but all three 2.5Kg bags of spuds I bought in December have been cooked/eaten.

In a bit ..... that dessert's coming out! Guaranteed.
    • wort
    • By wort 10th Feb 18, 1:02 PM
    • 778 Posts
    • 10,214 Thanks
    wort
    PN- the dessert looks good! My house contents are getting less and less , after I kondoed it I realise I like having fewer possessions , I can't stand it now if things aren't where they should be!!
    I've been to recycling bin outside 4 times already today!

I've just had cheese salad sandwich, cant say I enjoyed it though.
    I've got salmon fillet with sprouts cauli, and carrot with the parmesan mash . If the mash is still edible I took it out of freezer on Thurs? ?!

Tonight I've invited 2 of my sisters and my brother plus their oh ,round for a drink, so I've bought some big bags of crisp.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • flubberyzing
    • By flubberyzing 10th Feb 18, 1:30 PM
    • 955 Posts
    • 6,609 Thanks
    flubberyzing
    My "house" is actually a modern-ish (built 2008) 2-bed flat on the middle of 3 floors. As you enter, there's the bathroom on the right, single bedroom next, and then the master bed on the end. On the left is the kitchen and then living room.
    The second bedroom is basically a junk room. I didn't bother getting a bed to go in there, as I rarely ever have a guest to sleep round, and I need the space in the room more than I need the bed IYSWIM.

Last summer I kondo'd pretty much the entire flat... This summer coming I will be brutal again and get rid of everything else that didn't get touched in the last year. There's stuff, particularly in the second bedroom, that I wasn't quite ready to throw last year, which will definitely be going this year!

On another topic, food for me this week is going to be flexible! It's half-term (I'm a school teacher), so meals get a bit "as and when". I'll also be away Tuesday-Thursday, so won't need meals then. I thought beyond that, I'll live on what I already have (a bulging storecupboard and freezer!) and stay out of the supermarket now until at least next weekend.
    Because it's fun to have money!
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 10th Feb 18, 1:56 PM
    • 3,692 Posts
    • 5,550 Thanks
    bouicca21
    I too live a cluttered life. I'm untidy and always have been.

But PN I am just a little bit worried that you might be sliding into hoarding.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 10th Feb 18, 2:19 PM
    • 6,241 Posts
    • 9,963 Thanks
    Farway
    Spur of the moment after lunch, used the "fed up with looking at them" apples that have been lurking since I scrumped them last October. Washed & stewed, skin & all.

Then remembered the blackberries I froze in the summer, chucked them in the stewed apple

Found pack of OOD crumble topping mix [07/17]

Looks like pud will be memories of summer of 2017, with either instant custard or Greek Yoghurt
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 10th Feb 18, 2:38 PM
    • 1,454 Posts
    • 15,508 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    I'm in a don't really feel like cooking mood today so am having an easy day.

Breakast was a Greek yoghurt and a slice of toast and lunch was a tuna mayo sandwich, so nice and easy.

I've got a portion of beef goulash out of the freezer for dinner, and some mash to go with it. At least that gets something out of the freezer.
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 10th Feb 18, 4:17 PM
    • 4,771 Posts
    • 47,173 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    My house is a modernish (1964) terrace, two large bedrooms and one smaller one. Loo and bathroom are up some very steep stairs, which give me an enormous hallway. This has its uses as it enables me to keep my adult's trike indoors.
    It's a townhouse, which means a large flowerbed at the east-facing front, and a small patio with flowerbed at the west-facing back.
    My attic is empty, as it's too dangerous for me to access it, living on my own. Stuff that would be in the attic ( suitcases, etc) is in the two bedrooms not in use.
    I would love a two or one bed bungalow with secure covered storage for my trike, but they don't exist for purchase in my locality, though there are plenty of housing association properties of this description.

Back on topic. Yesterday I had a CBA meal of roast sausages and roast tinned potatoes with a lovely thick gravy. I buy tinned potatoes a lot, and never ever eat them as they come out of the tin, (vile), but always in things. They are great sliced for hotpots, roasted, or in the food processor with cooked fish of some description for fish cakes.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 10th Feb 18, 4:41 PM
    • 62,818 Posts
    • 368,065 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I buy tinned potatoes a lot, and never ever eat them as they come out of the tin, (vile), but always in things. They are great sliced for hotpots, roasted, or in the food processor with cooked fish of some description for fish cakes.
    Originally posted by mcculloch29
    Me too. They're great as something else, never as potatoes alone
    I mostly use them for spud salad in summer and something to toss in the slow cooker if I don't have fresh spuds. Hotpot toppers and sliced/roasted works OK too.

I've always got one can in, often two... I probably use four cans/year.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 10th Feb 18, 4:52 PM
    • 3,892 Posts
    • 24,834 Thanks
    caronc
    I'm a bit of a hoarder, not in a piles of stuff everywhere type of way (I like the place to be tidy) but struggle to get rid of anything I might conceivable use at some point. Especially kitchen bits. I'm good with paperwork retention but not much else .

I opened a jar of balsamic pickled shallots I made last Autumn ostensibly to have at Christmas and promptly forgot about them! I was looking in the cupboard for a new jar of gherkins and there they were. Can't see the jar lasting long now they were gorgeous.

I had the remaining fish pie with assorted pickled veg for lunch and the gammon is cooked so not much to do for dinner tonight. I must remember to soak peas tonight so I can make soup tomorrow.

I've never really got into tinned spuds though do have an "emergency" tin in the cupboard (in date-just )which I really should use up.
    GC YTD 2018- 605/940
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 10th Feb 18, 5:31 PM
    • 62,818 Posts
    • 368,065 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I sliced one of my big rolls in half and spread each half with marg.
    Nom.

I fancy crisps. I have no crisps. I bought 18 packs in December and ate them all .... so I should really leave it a bit longer before I buy more .... but that doesn't stop me fancying them
    • caronc
    • By caronc 10th Feb 18, 7:12 PM
    • 3,892 Posts
    • 24,834 Thanks
    caronc
    A roll and crisps - has to be up there on my list of guilty pleasures. Has to be real butter though. A pleasure I very seldom indulge in as too much salt but oh boy it's good.

The weather has turned really nasty, it probably would be better if it just snowed as forecast, might warm things up a bit.

While it's far from cold in my kitchen the wind and rain is battering off the conservatory so I'm having to motivate myself to go and make dinner and tidy the place up. Still needs must I suppose as I'm getting hungry
    GC YTD 2018- 605/940
    • caronc
    • By caronc 10th Feb 18, 8:55 PM
    • 3,892 Posts
    • 24,834 Thanks
    caronc
    Nipped to the loo, turned on the light and there was a huge slug on the floor (now deceased ). Shining a torch showed a trail from the bath plug hole.... Said hole has now had loads of salt popped down and the plug lowered. Much as I admire it's determination I have no desire for it's friends to send out a search party
    GC YTD 2018- 605/940
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 10th Feb 18, 8:59 PM
    • 15,850 Posts
    • 43,878 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Must admit that whenever any "livestock" is in my home - my first thought isnt "shoo it gently out the window". It's much more along the lines of "Belt it one quick - and firm".
    • Elona
    • By Elona 10th Feb 18, 8:59 PM
    • 218 Posts
    • 2,288 Thanks
    Elona
    I thought I was being sensible cooking some leek and potato soup and a small cottage pie for tomorrow as only one dd was popping in and was not sure if she would have already eaten.

Got a phone call an hour ago that there could be four people popping in. Chicken burgers and beef burgers are defrosting and I will nip to the shop to get salad and bread rolls and maybe potatoes to cook wedges.

Must remember to switch on heater in conservatory as it is freezing in there and that is where the dining table and chairs are.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 10th Feb 18, 9:05 PM
    • 3,892 Posts
    • 24,834 Thanks
    caronc
    Must admit that whenever any "livestock" is in my home - my first thought isnt "shoo it gently out the window". It's much more along the lines of "Belt it one quick - and firm".
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    Depends on the "livestock" - spiders (unless they join me in the shower), bees, daddy longlegs and moths/butterflies get a reprieve. Anything else tends to get thwacked!
    I thought I was being sensible cooking some leek and potato soup and a small cottage pie for tomorrow as only one dd was popping in and was not sure if she would have already eaten.

Got a phone call an hour ago that there could be four people popping in. Chicken burgers and beef burgers are defrosting and I will nip to the shop to get salad and bread rolls and maybe potatoes to cook wedges.

Must remember to switch on heater in conservatory as it is freezing in there and that is where the dining table and chairs are.
    Originally posted by Elona
    Best laid schemes and all that....
    GC YTD 2018- 605/940
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 10th Feb 18, 11:05 PM
    • 4,771 Posts
    • 47,173 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    Depends on the "livestock" - spiders (unless they join me in the shower), bees, daddy longlegs and moths/butterflies get a reprieve. Anything else tends to get thwacked!

Best laid schemes and all that....
    Originally posted by caronc
    I'm not sure what your reasoning is, but don't give daddy longlegs a reprieve, please! Do kill them. Their larvae are those evil little leatherjackets that live in soil and destroy seedlings and small plants.

RHS on leatherjackets
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

594Posts Today

6,304Users online

Martin's Twitter