Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 18, 7:48 AM
    • 5,240Posts
    • 32,241Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Three)
    • 13th Jan 18, 7:48 AM
    Cooking for one (Mark Three) 13th Jan 18 at 7:48 AM
    Welcome to Cooking one (Mark Three), time to get a shiny new thread up and running. The link to "Cooking for one (Mark Two)" can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73708876&posted=1#post73708876

Cooking For One
    13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?
    Last edited by caronc; 13-01-2018 at 7:51 AM.

Page 392
    • Farway
    • By Farway 15th Apr 19, 3:29 PM
    • 7,147 Posts
    • 13,293 Thanks
    Farway
    Update, crumble's out of oven, looking good enough to eat
    Found packet of L's ready mix custard, just in time, BBE is July

I'll try & remember to get more in tomorrow, the crumble is a two tin size
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 15th Apr 19, 4:34 PM
    • 2,634 Posts
    • 19,261 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I've had an apple and crackers with PB.

I'm having Quorn pieces with mashed potato, carrots and cauliflower and gravy for dinner. HP sauce on the veggies too.
    "Fall seven times and stand up eight."
    Japanese Proverb
    • Fire Fox
    • By Fire Fox 15th Apr 19, 6:14 PM
    • 24,493 Posts
    • 28,187 Thanks
    Fire Fox
    Needed a few ingredients for recipes to use up less-than-fresh veg, but went to the supermarket on an empty stomach ....

Came home with a big wedge of 'The Best' stilton, two rainbow trout fillets, 'The Best' pork and ale sausages, watercress, red gem lettuces, and frozen pomegranate seeds. All yellow sticker except the pom seeds. I have two packs of good sausages and several packs of salmon in the freezer, and I don't eat many leafy salads.

Then made Middle Eastern tomato salad (red onion/ long pepper/ walnuts/ pom molasses/ spices). Party in my mouth!

And made Moroccan carrot salad (chickpeas/ orange/ golden sultanas/ pistachios/ spices). Needs more spice and no chickpeas.

Slowly eating the sea bass with harissa from last night, plus a portion of each salad.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️ Trainee Rosie the Riveter.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 15th Apr 19, 6:36 PM
    • 5,240 Posts
    • 32,241 Thanks
    caronc
    Lunch solved, used up last scrape of HM chutney on my SC beef sarnie

Rhubarb duly stewed & in a crumble, along with baked spud for dinner, not in the crumble although it reads like that
    Very MSE, using same oven

After lunch I potted on nearly 30 tomato plants, I think yet again I've over done the toms, only needed about 20 total, including the small pot ones

If it wasn't for blight I'd be happy with them outside, think I'll have to risk it this year, no choice, only so many I can palm off give away to friends
    Originally posted by Farway
    Rhubarb crumble is my favourite way to have rhubarb and crumble though any kind of crumble is lovely.
    I wish my toms were at the stage yours are at Farway, I've reached a lull in seed sowing as it's been far too cold to harden off & get my bedding plants outdoors and I've no more room indoors. One of the panes in my greenhouse needs fixing so it's not an option though my son has promised to sort it next week.

Needed a few ingredients for recipes to use up less-than-fresh veg, but went to the supermarket on an empty stomach ....

Came home with a big wedge of 'The Best' stilton, two rainbow trout fillets, 'The Best' pork and ale sausages, watercress, red gem lettuces, and frozen pomegranate seeds. All yellow sticker except the pom seeds. I have two packs of good sausages and several packs of salmon in the freezer, and I don't eat many leafy salads.

Then made Middle Eastern tomato salad (red onion/ long pepper/ walnuts/ pom molasses/ spices). Party in my mouth!

And made Moroccan carrot salad (chickpeas/ orange/ golden sultanas/ pistachios/ spices). Needs more spice and no chickpeas.

Slowly eating the sea bass with harissa from last night, plus a portion of each salad.
    Originally posted by Fire Fox
    Oh lovely sounding meal Fire Fox, I'd happily take any LOs off of your hands.

Good evening everyone,
    It's still really cod here though the wind has dropped a bit, we've showers forecast for tomorrow which should warm things up and there is apparently to be a heatwave this weekend so fingers crossed. I'm fed up of fleeces & thermal socks!
    I had a reasonably productive day, got the admin I wanted out of the way done and cleared out the two bottom shelves in my larder cupboard. Glad I did as I found a leaked tin of golden syrup making a sticky mess, it had got knocked over and shoved to the back of the very bottom shelf which I find hard to access. I had forgotten I had it and the BBE was 09/2016. It's in the bin along with a bag of "boil in the bag" rice of a similiar vintage that I don't remember buying so must date from I had resident kids. The shelf now only has stuff at the front that I can reach easily so I can see what's there.
    I had soup & bread for lunch and it's meatballs, tom sauce and pasta for dinner. I've a pork steak in fridge to defrost to make some sort of stir fry tomorrow.

• Brambling
    • By Brambling 15th Apr 19, 7:40 PM
    • 803 Posts
    • 4,466 Thanks
    Brambling
    Caronc heads you can have Fire Fox's LOs tails I will .

Fire Fox where do you get frozen pomegranate seeds I've never see them? Can you make something like peas and lettuce to use up your salad leaves I usually make it with little gem lettuces, you could go from middle eastern to french

I love rhubarb crumble as well, definitely a taste from my childhood and reminds me a lot of my mum as she made a great one with birds custard most Sundays during the rhubarb season as we had several crowns but I'm trying to be good so I'm omitting the crumble from mine and it's not the same

The temperature is beginning to warm up here for a forecast barmy 22 at the weekend I walked lunchtime without a jacket, it was just a little chilly when out of the sun.

Lunch was a portion of the veg soup I made yesterday and dinner LO gammon with a 'Thai' salad with a peanut dressing
    • caronc
    • By caronc 15th Apr 19, 8:00 PM
    • 5,240 Posts
    • 32,241 Thanks
    caronc
    Don't know where Fire Fox gets them but Tesco sell frozen pomegranate seeds just wish they would sell the molasses as well!

• Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 15th Apr 19, 8:02 PM
    • 2,634 Posts
    • 19,261 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    Rhubarb crumble reminds me of my Grandmother as she used to make it. I love apple crumble.

My dinner was delish. I love mash and veggies with gravy. I might get some cabbage later this week as I love that with gravy too.

Hmm, what spices do you use?

I might get pomegranate molasses next time I get shopping, one of my online friends raves about the taste.
    Japanese Proverb
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 15th Apr 19, 8:19 PM
    • 803 Posts
    • 4,466 Thanks
    Brambling
    Don't know where Fire Fox gets them but Tesco sell frozen pomegranate seeds just wish they would sell the molasses as well!
    Originally posted by caronc
    Thanks Caronc I'll send some pomegranate molasses up with the gin . Maybe something to ask your son to pick up for an Easter present
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 16th Apr 19, 8:53 AM
    • 66,154 Posts
    • 388,536 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    My parents used to grow rhubarb, so there were always a lot of rhubarb crumbles and rhubarb/custard in season. I've never bought any as it's very expensive. I think, if I were to ever consider growing food, I'd pop some rhubarb out ... just one plant probably, two max.

No idea what to eat today, my trouble is indecision/planning. If I can't decide, I can't plan. Lots I could eat ... but do I fancy it, will I fancy it?

Just popped an egg in and will then have a hard boiled egg for later, which I'll mix with a bit of s/cream and spoon into one of my muffins.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 16th Apr 19, 10:32 AM
    • 2,634 Posts
    • 19,261 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I am trying to get back to sleep as my husband is on nights but I got hungry so I had a glass of lemon water and a sandwich.
    Japanese Proverb
    • Farway
    • By Farway 16th Apr 19, 12:34 PM
    • 7,147 Posts
    • 13,293 Thanks
    Farway
    Woke early so got up before the birds started shouting

Because I was up early I had porridge for breakfast, Tuesday is Volunteer day so normally skip breakfast

Into L's on way, couldn't find a thing, it's all been shuffled round, German articulated lorry in car park, seems it was shuffled overnight and only completed just before they opened
    Something to look forward to PN? Although mine may be linked to the larger new one opening a couple of miles away

Found the on offer veg, 29p stuff, carrots etc all grabbed, I'm told it's cheaper in A*da on offer, but carrot in the hand etc

There may have been YS but goodness knows where, porridge has vanished as well, custard & horse radish I gave up on

Came away with veg, butter & choc biscuits

Lunch was last of the corned beef, with sliced raw onion in a sarnie

Dinner, SC beef will somewhere in there, I left some of last night's dinner, just too full, but managed to cram some birthday posh chocs in later
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 16th Apr 19, 2:25 PM
    • 66,154 Posts
    • 388,536 Thanks
    PasturesNew

Into L's on way, couldn't find a thing, it's all been shuffled round, German articulated lorry in car park, seems it was shuffled overnight and only completed just before they opened
    Something to look forward to PN? Although mine may be linked to the larger new one opening a couple of miles away
    Mine was "the old style" until about a year ago when they moved it all round and put the 7' high chillers in. Now I can never find everything and most goods are left looking like a jumble sale.

Found the on offer veg, 29p stuff, carrots etc all grabbed, I'm told it's cheaper in A*da on offer, but carrot in the hand etc
    Yeah, I think A5da are doing a sort of "Xmas Veg" at 20p deal. bags of carrots, parsnips, whatnot. Just noticed somebody else posted about that online, but didn't take any notice (as A5da's a 16 mile round trip).

There may have been YS but goodness knows where, porridge has vanished as well, custard & horse radish I gave up on
    Yeah, it was hard enough finding things before.... it'll be worse now
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 16th Apr 19, 2:26 PM
    • 66,154 Posts
    • 388,536 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I made up a bread roll with the boil egg/salad cream. Just one more in that roll pack now.

I put four sausages into the fridge to defrost... not entirely sure why as I can't decide what to make with them... too many choices to make a decision. I might just make a sausage & beans chilli casserole thingy ... but I'm out of onions except one the size of a cherry tomato.

Lunch was: portion of chips, half a tin of mushy peas.
    • Fire Fox
    • By Fire Fox 16th Apr 19, 3:43 PM
    • 24,493 Posts
    • 28,187 Thanks
    Fire Fox
    Thank you for all your comments.

Brambling/ Caronc The frozen pomegranate seeds I found at Morrisons (350g 1.76) and not even a large store! I haven't noticed them anywhere else but I usually stick to Farmfoods for frozen fruit.

I get Odysea pomegranate molasses (no added sugar) when it is on offer at Sainsbogs. I have seen another brand (with added sugar) in the World Foods aisle at Tescon.

PasturesNew Farmfoods sell frozen rhubarb, if you can get to a store? Not as nice as homegrown or fresh in season of course, but well priced (~700g ~1).

Wednesday2000 I used cumin, sumac and black pepper in the tomato salad. And coriander, cumin and cinnamon in the carrot and chickpea salad. Normally I would use Dijon mustard in a carrot and beetroot salad.

I also regularly use frozen crushed garlic and ginger. Cheaper and easier than fresh!

My dry spices were in a sorry state after a winter of not cooking from scratch: the only fresh ones are black pepper, ground coriander and smoked paprika. The spice pastes seem to have fared much better. Just now placed an order directly from 'East End Foods' because their dry spices come in resealable bags. Cumin, cinnamon, amchoor, korma masala and madras masala.
    Last edited by Fire Fox; 16-04-2019 at 3:47 PM.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 16th Apr 19, 6:28 PM
    • 5,240 Posts
    • 32,241 Thanks
    caronc
    Good evening everyone,
    Thanks for info re the pomegranate molasses Fire Fox, unfortunately neither Tesco nor Morrison's sell it locally! As Brambling suggested I've asked the boys to keep an eye out. I freeze root ginger whole and just grate off what I need from frozen.
    Yes fresh, raw rhubarb is quite pricey PN unless YS or SO. The crown I planted last year is doing well, hopefully I'll get a crop this year as I'm hoping to make rhubarb gin.
    It's been wet & miserable here today- both me and the weather as annoyingly I woke up with the sniffles/horrible cough which have got worse as the day has gone on so I've picked up a cold somewhere, probably at the Drs on Friday. Hopefully it will settle before the kids arrive on Thursday. I did get a fair bit done including more larder cupboard tidying and sorting out a grocery delivery so not a completely wasted day. I will plaster myself with Vick at bed time and hope it helps.
    Lentil soup again for lunch and I'm going to freeze what's left this evening as I made it on Saturday. Pork stir fry for dinner with lots of chilli & ginger to help clear my sinuses.

• Brambling
    • By Brambling 16th Apr 19, 7:09 PM
    • 803 Posts
    • 4,466 Thanks
    Brambling
    Hopefully the cough doesn't get worst Caronc or disturbs the donkey . Plenty of vitamin C and rest before the weekend <hugs>

Usual day at work, we're thin on the ground because of Easter and still clearing up the mess from Saturday but it's two days and counting before Easter so I'm reaching the what doesn't get done won't be done stage

Food wise was the same as yesterday typically CFO, I've gammon left I think enough for two meals so will need to finish that as I don't want to freeze it and that's me all gammon out for a while even if it on offer
    • Fire Fox
    • By Fire Fox 16th Apr 19, 8:41 PM
    • 24,493 Posts
    • 28,187 Thanks
    Fire Fox
    Polished off the last of the blue cheese and vegetable soup this afternoon. This evening I cooked four of the yellow sticker 'The Best' pork and ale sausages. Feline and human verdict ... YUM.

Had the sausages with the second half of the Middle Eastern tomato salad and the second half of the Moroccan carrot salad. Much nicer for marinating overnight, but the chickpeas are still meh.

Food waste: Binned a pear that was beyond either stewing or a smoothie. Tomorrow I need to make a soup and/ or a salad to use up less-than-fresh veg.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 17th Apr 19, 4:02 AM
    • 66,154 Posts
    • 388,536 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Farmfoods sell frozen rhubarb, if you can get to a store? Not as nice as homegrown or fresh in season of course, but well priced (~700g ~1).
    I've never seen a Farm Foods. I did live about 5 miles from one 12 years ago for a year, but didn't go in.

I just looked them up, 60 miles away is the nearest

I stick mostly to L1dl/4ldi as they are both within 1/4 mile of my house, so there's no "cost of acquisition". If I went to, say, 4sda, it'd cost me 3 in car fuel, so it doesn't seem worth going there more than once a year "as a treat at Xmas" as I spend so little on food, that 3 is a bit of an overhead -v- any perceived "savings" made.
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 17-04-2019 at 4:06 AM.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 17th Apr 19, 9:38 AM
    • 5,240 Posts
    • 32,241 Thanks
    caronc
    Good morning everyone,

I've been up for ages as the cold/cough meant a restless night and I'm better up and about. Balance is a bit iffy with being bunged up so I'm doing a bit and sitting for a bit.
    Much better weather today though still on the chilly side at the moment. I plan to get plants out of my conservatory and onto the deck. As it's covered they should be fine now the near freezing temperatures at night seem to have passed. Hopefully I'll get some peas & beans sown later as I'll space indoors.
    Cheese & egg salad for lunch and another stir fry for dinner as I really enjoyed the one I made last night and I've various veg that need using up.

• Farway
    • By Farway 17th Apr 19, 10:00 AM
    • 7,147 Posts
    • 13,293 Thanks
    Farway
    Nice warm day ahead, may even potter a bit in garden

I seem a bit off my food, never fancied much last night so just had a portion [large] of rhubarb crumble & custard instead of planned SC beef etc

However, still had porridge for breakfast

Made up more yoghurt, my recent batches are turning out very thick & creamy since I changed the "starter" Long may it continue

I've taken a pack of YS mini sausage rolls out to defrost, just in case I don't fancy much later I can always stuff a small sausage roll in somewhere

Lunch I'm thinking about grilled cheese on toast, with splash of L & P's

I'm umming about the LO SC beef plus the stock.
    Sense tells me make some sort of stew / casserole thing using some of L's offer veg I bought yesterday, but a the moment CBA

If I do make it it would be dinner, could even chuck some herby dumplings in. One of the CFO problems again, lots of food solutions but overdose of CBA
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

160Posts Today

977Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin