Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    • 3,625Posts
    • 23,656Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Three)
    • 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    Cooking for one (Mark Three) 13th Jan 18 at 8:48 AM
    Welcome to Cooking one (Mark Three), time to get a shiny new thread up and running. The link to "Cooking for one (Mark Two)" can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73708876&posted=1#post73708876

Cooking For One
    13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?
    Last edited by caronc; 13-01-2018 at 8:51 AM.
    GC - Jan18 55/120, Feb18 68/120, Mar 104/150, Apr 164/200
    GC YTD - 391/590
Page 39
    • pineapple
    • By pineapple 9th Feb 18, 4:52 PM
    • 6,159 Posts
    • 29,555 Thanks
    pineapple
    Back again, MSE decided I had not changed my password in ages,
    Originally posted by Farway
    Me too. They must be having an early spring clean. Plus a google link to the site decided my browser was old. Well it's not actually. I am on the latest Firefox ESR for people like me who are still on XP. Yes it's my operating system that's old!
    Got bacon and chestnut mushrooms cooking on the multifuel stove for bacon rolls. Later it's microwave toffee and ginger sponge. Because I'm worth it.....
    • caronc
    • By caronc 9th Feb 18, 4:55 PM
    • 3,625 Posts
    • 23,656 Thanks
    caronc
    It's blinking baltic here again, according to the forecast although the temperature got to 4C it "feels like -2C", your damn tootin it does if not lower.
    Snow alert has been lifted until Sunday so I was hoping it might warm up a bit tomorrow- nope it's to be wet, windy and cold.

I've decided that I'm just going to have my veg separate from the pie but make cheesy mash for the top.

All this talk of stew - I can feel a beef stew or chilli/curry might be getting popped in the SC at some point over the next few days as I've stewing steak in the freezer.
    GC YTD - 391/590
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 9th Feb 18, 5:45 PM
    • 15,356 Posts
    • 42,836 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Yep...also had to change my password.

Farway - that's lemongrass added to the shopping list tomorrow. This time I will get round to trying out making a drink from it and see what happens.

Dinner cooking currently - and I'm doing a bit of use-up here. So it's going to be a bit of an odd mixture of a sort of stew with curry flavour - using up some spinach leaves and about a dessertspoon of curry paste (had forgotten I'd got 2 and a bit jars of that - and it doesnt match new way of eating). So I've just used a dollop of it and binned the rest (too out-of-date for the foodbank to get the 2 unopened jars), some mushrooms, some canned tomatoes, some soya bean "mince".

I'll eat that with some baked sweet potato chips.

Feel like I've now made reasonable progress towards food reorganisation/learning some bits about "new food" eating. Long way to go still. Quick check of stomach and I "think" it's getting marginally smaller again - fingers crossed.
    Fastest way to get a headache = try and make someone that thinks for themselves conform to local "group think"
    • wort
    • By wort 9th Feb 18, 5:46 PM
    • 722 Posts
    • 9,827 Thanks
    wort
    I've had to sort password too!! It wouldn't recognise my new email. So left it as the old one.

The store I work in does click and collect, I used to work on this section, clothing not food. It's in the next day after ordering , it comes in with the name and order ref on the packaging . People either try on /look at what they've bought in store or take home , refund can be done straight away or up to 35/45 days later.
    I ordered from tesc@ yesterday some gym leggings for yoga and picked them up from the express store up the road, they are fine but if I need a refund I'd take them back to the superstore as express don't refund clothes.

I had the last of Sunday roast chicken with cheese on a toastie for lunch with a lemon whipped yogurt with a kiwi chopped in it.
    Just eaten tea with dgson , chicken jalfrezi, rice and poppadoms. With a magnum style lolly after.

Beautiful sunny day but bitterly cold, the sun has only just left us. I love it staying lighter for longer.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 9th Feb 18, 5:48 PM
    • 62,180 Posts
    • 363,940 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    ....binned the rest (too out-of-date for the foodbank to get the 2 unopened jars)...
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    It's a shame they don't have a shelf for "out of date stuff that's sealed" for people to take a chance if they're happy to do so; outside of what they get on offer, a "help yourself/out of date" shelf...

I really fancy pie, but I have no pie .... and I can't justify buying pie because I've got food in the freezer and cupboards.... sausage rolls are just like pies, but they're not like mince/steak/gravy pies, so this time having sausage rolls won't scratch the pie itch.

I can get the beef next week ... which means I need to buy a pie and eat one this weekend really, because once I've got beef that'll be many days' meals ... all the time I'll fancy pie.

I've got the final Xmas spuds that still need using up - so pie and mash seems like a good thing to think about buying/cooking this weekend at some time when I do go out to food shop.

How come L1dl/4ldi never have 2/serves 4 pies as their special of the week?
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 09-02-2018 at 5:54 PM.
    • meg72
    • By meg72 9th Feb 18, 6:12 PM
    • 5,011 Posts
    • 45,712 Thanks
    meg72
    Back again, MSE decided I had not changed my password in ages, so been having a chase around because I changed my e -mail at the same time.

Blooming cold wind today, heating turned on, too cold to sit here with numb fingers

Nothing much for me in Lild this morning, still no 1kg frozen chips in stock, however W/r have sent me 1 voucher off frozen food so I could buy some of theirs next time I'm in

Lunch was BF ham & salad sarnie, then 1/8 of my C & O pie, which I had out prepping for dinner and a bit just popped into my mouth

mid afternoon cuppa with bread + some of my vegan no anything choc spread. Not bad, would buy again but not at full price of nearly 4

I noticed, for us stew lovers, Lild have the diced beef back on offer from next Thursday. I'll be topping up, very lean and tasty last time, hope they keep the standard up

Dinner is more of the C & O pie, quite full with all the nibbling so may just be 1/8 this time, with piccalilli, and top up with bread & choc spread as required

MTSTM, listening to Gardeners' QT and James Wong reckoned Lemon Grass, grown yourself, makes good tea substitute, using the leaves. The grass stem would be to fibrous for eating when grown in UK, but leaves OK. Just a thought for an experiment this summer

I've used C & C for some items, not food, from the likes of John Lewis/ collect from W/r, Asda & Argos, all in store though, not some mystery van in the car park, I've seen them but no idea how it works. I found it very easy, and most importantly, as HH mentioned, choose own time & day. In my case early in day, easy parking & no queues
    Originally posted by Farway
    Also had to change password, why? wish t hey would leave things alone. TV also giving me the evil eye, some channels have been changed, follow instructions, would if I could find them lol .

Had a senior moment and tipped the carefully strained chicken stock back into electric pressure cooker without the inner pot, big clean up and now error messages from said appliance.

My all singing and dancing, expensive lol, sewing machine is having a hickey fit, my lovely yoghurt maker decided to take a holiday and didn't yog.

Cant decide if I should, if its still possible, just to forget modern stuff and haunt the car boots for reliable, lol ,old stuff or let them cart me off to a care home.

Oh and I also cant find where I stored photos so I can post on here, you were kind enough to advise some time ago.

Anyway just wanted to ask how much is the beef on offer from lydl next Thursday.
    Slimming World at target
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 9th Feb 18, 6:19 PM
    • 62,180 Posts
    • 363,940 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    About Xmas I randomly bought a whole Soreen loaf, something with a festive flavour variation. It lurked. Earlier today I opened it... wasn't impressed at all, so to get shot of it .... I ate the lot.

Just made/ate a toasted crust topped with beans/cheese.

I'm having a pigsy day it seems
    • caronc
    • By caronc 9th Feb 18, 6:20 PM
    • 3,625 Posts
    • 23,656 Thanks
    caronc
    Also had to change password, why? wish t hey would leave things alone. TV also giving me the evil eye, some channels have been changed, follow instructions, would if I could find them lol .

Had a senior moment and tipped the carefully strained chicken stock back into electric pressure cooker without the inner pot, big clean up and now error messages from said appliance.

My all singing and dancing, expensive lol, sewing machine is having a hickey fit, my lovely yoghurt maker decided to take a holiday and didn't yog.

Cant decide if I should, if its still possible, just to forget modern stuff and haunt the car boots for reliable, lol ,old stuff or let them cart me off to a care home.

Oh and I also cant find where I stored photos so I can post on here, you were kind enough to advise some time ago.

Anyway just wanted to ask how much is the beef on offer from lydl next Thursday.
    Originally posted by meg72
    Oh Meg sounds like you've had the type of day when bedtime can't come soon enough!
    GC YTD - 391/590
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 9th Feb 18, 6:24 PM
    • 15,356 Posts
    • 42,836 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Eaten that dinner now - it comes under "Well - I ate it" heading and there's leftovers of it for tomorrow. Oh well - try not to waste any more than I can help....

Oh dear - now feels nervous about switching on tv - in case it's all gone odd. It took me some time to train myself into getting Channel 4 here by pushing for Channel 7 (as that is what it's on in Wales) - after the easy stuff of BBC1 is still 1, BBC2 is still 2, ITV is still 3.

On that note - I'd better stop reading (yet another) new cookbook I've had through in the post and go and check the tv out.
    Fastest way to get a headache = try and make someone that thinks for themselves conform to local "group think"
    • pineapple
    • By pineapple 9th Feb 18, 6:39 PM
    • 6,159 Posts
    • 29,555 Thanks
    pineapple
    It's a shame they don't have a shelf for "out of date stuff that's sealed" for people to take a chance if they're happy to do so; outside of what they get on offer, a "help yourself/out of date" shelf...
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Was buying (or trying to buy) some flowers at the local supermarket when the cashier said she couldn't sell them to me as they were past the sell by date - I kid you not.
    'Well you can give them to me,' says I. And she did!
    • meg72
    • By meg72 9th Feb 18, 8:51 PM
    • 5,011 Posts
    • 45,712 Thanks
    meg72
    [QUOTE=caronc;73856954]Oh Meg sounds like you've had t
    he type of day when bedtime can't come soon enough
    ![/QUOTE
    Yeah and I will get up in the morning with my stubborn head on think 0h well just endure this life. lol
    Slimming World at target
    • caronc
    • By caronc 9th Feb 18, 8:51 PM
    • 3,625 Posts
    • 23,656 Thanks
    caronc
    Was buying (or trying to buy) some flowers at the local supermarket when the cashier said she couldn't sell them to me as they were past the sell by date - I kid you not.
    'Well you can give them to me,' says I. And she did!
    Originally posted by pineapple
    Excellent result

Fish pie was lovely but LO I had a small amount of cheesy mash & white sauce. Not a portion of each but too much to ditch IFYSWIM. Anyway I have mixed the two together and I'm thinking with the addition of some diced cooked onion it could make a tasty pasty filing or failing that souffle potatoes is I beat and egg into it. Might need to freeze it until I get some puff pastry as I think the pasty option might be the winning option

ETA - should have added fish pie made two portions so one for the freezer or lunch tomorrow
    Last edited by caronc; 09-02-2018 at 9:28 PM.
    GC YTD - 391/590
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 9th Feb 18, 10:30 PM
    • 62,180 Posts
    • 363,940 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Food shopping just got a whole lot easier.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-5372607/Potatoes-GOOD-you.html

I figure just those + 4-5 toppings would do

Just add: cheese, beans, chilli, tuna.

That's the short shopping list finished

My diet's always been spud heavy, it used to be mostly spuds .... spuds with almost every meal.... I should go back to that.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 10th Feb 18, 7:27 AM
    • 11,818 Posts
    • 73,749 Thanks
    kittie
    Oh Meg sounds like you've had the type of day when bedtime can't come soon enough!
    Originally posted by caronc
    oh I get those days end up counting the minutes to bedtime. I have made myself have a purpose today and am going to `downsize` my sewing room. Patterns, fabrics, all for cs. I am always happiest when I have a focus to the day, so I am going to kondo stuff and do a bit of space clearing

No focus for eating today, just porridge and apricots, salmon salad, cba whatever I can find for last meal
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 10th Feb 18, 8:07 AM
    • 62,180 Posts
    • 363,940 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    .... sewing room....
    Originally posted by kittie
    How many rooms do you have?

I guess we all assume others live in the same sized houses we all live in.
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 16-02-2018 at 7:45 AM.
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 10th Feb 18, 8:13 AM
    • 15,356 Posts
    • 42,836 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention

I guess we all assume others live in the same sized houses we all live in.

I've got a modern 2-bed terraced house, with a 12x13' living room, a 12'x8' kitchen, compulsory downstairs loo (Building Regs for new builds) and upstairs 2 bedrooms and a small bathroom (fat people can't use the loo as it's blocked behind the door when you open it, so you have to get in and squeeze in to close the door).
    Bit of a chuckle there - that building regs say a downstairs loo is mandatory (cue for looking after a certain proportion of people that might need that) v. an upstairs bathroom that is difficult to use for fat people (cue for that being the majority of people at the moment that will have problems using it - ie in between the 1970s/80s when most people were normal size and whatever decade it is that that is the case again - 2030's?/2040's/maybe never?)

One of the more minor reasons I felt I had to sell my last house was because of one aspect of it that is no problem whatsoever re the space aspect - but I'd noticed it being a problem to someone else and realised it would now be a problem to a high proportion of people currently and, at some point, this would all be SO "normalised" that my last house would be seen as the problem (though it isnt) and they'd complain that part of the house was "too small" (even though it isnt) - rather than admit they were too big. It happens these days...
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 10-02-2018 at 8:25 AM.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 10th Feb 18, 8:36 AM
    • 11,818 Posts
    • 73,749 Thanks
    kittie
    4 bedrooms, so I use one for dedicated sewing, one of my hobby passions. 2 have single beds in them and I store aerobeds under the beds. I keep a teeter in one of the bedrooms, I will never do without my teeter, it straightens my back and lengthens me, opens up the disc spaces in my back. I get very compressed after working on the allotment and would be in agony for days without my teeter

One small cosy snug, contains my tv, small bookcase and 2 comfy chairs. One study, contains lots of study furniture which contain hobby stuff ie for spinning and carving, knitting, felting, weaving and all that. I`ll keep on with my hobbies as long as possible, they keep me going and enable me to make friends in like-minded groups. Also contains my professional health books

Hall and utility containing the eco gubbins. A kitchen/dining/lounge space, all open, sunny and airy. Yes it sounds big but I fill it and can always put family up when they stay. It was well designed
    • caronc
    • By caronc 10th Feb 18, 9:11 AM
    • 3,625 Posts
    • 23,656 Thanks
    caronc
    Food shopping just got a whole lot easier.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-5372607/Potatoes-GOOD-you.html

I figure just those + 4-5 toppings would do

Just add: cheese, beans, chilli, tuna.

That's the short shopping list finished

My diet's always been spud heavy, it used to be mostly spuds .... spuds with almost every meal.... I should go back to that.
    Fab - I love my spuds

My house should be too big for just me and yes I could downsize but like Kittie fill the space with ease whereas 4 of us used to live here quite comfortably. I only use the ground floor, the boy's bedrooms are upstairs (now spare rooms really I suppose) built into what was the loft. Downstairs is my bedroom, bathroom, living room, dining room/family room and kitchen/ conservatory. I don't really use the living room in the winter as it is North facing so needs a fire on to boost the heating unless I have guests. If I were to downsize I'd want a large kitchen/conservatory and in this area any houses that have this are the same size if not bigger than mine.

It wet and wild here today so doubt I'll be venturing further than the bin. I plan to pressure cook a small piece of gammon today (about 450g)). I'll cut a steak off of it to have with pineapple tonight, make pea & ham soup tomorrow and use the rest for sandwiches during the week.
    Lunch I think will be the remaining fish pie with pickles.
    GC YTD - 391/590
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 10th Feb 18, 9:15 AM
    • 3,574 Posts
    • 5,306 Thanks
    bouicca21
    i have one of those tiny loos, previous owner installed the smallest hand basin I've ever seen, and a bi-fold door.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 10th Feb 18, 9:19 AM
    • 3,625 Posts
    • 23,656 Thanks
    caronc
    i have one of those tiny loos, previous owner installed the smallest hand basin I've ever seen, and a bi-fold door.
    Originally posted by bouicca21
    I got stuck in a tiny loo when I was days away from giving birth to my second child (wish it had had a folding door...). I had a massive bump (he was 9lb 5oz) and thought I was going to be stuck there until he arrived. I can laugh now but it was horrible at the time
    GC YTD - 391/590
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

146Posts Today

2,429Users online

Martin's Twitter