Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    • 3,625Posts
    • 23,659Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Three)
    • 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    Cooking for one (Mark Three) 13th Jan 18 at 8:48 AM
    Welcome to Cooking one (Mark Three), time to get a shiny new thread up and running. The link to "Cooking for one (Mark Two)" can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73708876&posted=1#post73708876

Cooking For One
    13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?
    Last edited by caronc; 13-01-2018 at 8:51 AM.
    GC - Jan18 55/120, Feb18 68/120, Mar 104/150, Apr 164/200
    GC YTD - 391/590
Page 38
    • caronc
    • By caronc 9th Feb 18, 8:51 AM
    • 3,625 Posts
    • 23,659 Thanks
    caronc
    A freezing start. First thing every morning what I do is open the windows/patio doors and give the room a good airing .... and then it's cold, but it does need doing daily.

Probably toasted bread crusts and baked beans for a warming breakfast.

Awaiting those shelves to arrive at the shop, so I can collect.... checked this morning and they're on their way, but not arrived.

http://www.homebargains.co.uk/products/7109-kis-4-tier-plus-shelf.aspx
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    These look really handy, I have a similiar set in my lean to for gardening stuff and they hold loads. Hope yours arrive soon.
    GC YTD - 391/590
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 9th Feb 18, 8:58 AM
    • 15,359 Posts
    • 42,842 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    [QUOTE=kittie;73853652]
    Wonder whether it's some inbuilt primitive response that makes people feel hungrier in a winter QUOTE]

yes it is as is hibernating or getting more dozy in the day. I always go into hibernation indoors mode in winter. It does not do me any harm, come spring I can still ride my bike up hills, when I used to think I would be struggling after not using those muscles. I do though tend to do lots of stuff while standing as it is a mini form of exercise and I go upstairs when I need something, rather than putting it off. On sunny `warm` days then I go out and do a few things, bit of weeding, tidying etc. It is what animals do

paper tea filters: dried herbs/normal tea in pouch, put in mug, they are long so the top folds over the side. Use twice if herbs. Compost afterwards
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    I think a fair number of people must - possibly in much of the country? I'm still getting my head around there being noticeably fewer people on the streets here sometimes in the winter....as I'm used to everyone "carrying on regardless" and that's what I expect of myself too. I think I'm very much a product of my home city - and some years spent living in hot climates as a child.
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 09-02-2018 at 9:01 AM.
    Fastest way to get a headache = try and make someone that thinks for themselves conform to local "group think"
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 9th Feb 18, 9:00 AM
    • 62,180 Posts
    • 363,942 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    These look really handy, I have a similiar set in my lean to for gardening stuff and they hold loads. Hope yours arrive soon.
    Originally posted by caronc
    I have something similar I bought from L1dl for the shed... but these specific ones state 20Kg on them and right now I can't walk into L1dl to see/check and buy more. I can't remember how much the L1dl ones were, possibly 16, these are 10 which is what tempted me to act irrationally and just buy them.

But ... for the shed ones, which I think are higher, I only ended up doing the bottom layers because adding the top layer made it too high to fit into the shed I hate it when that happens ... so I've got shelves ... and a bit left over, which is always a disappointment when you think something will solve a problem and just creates a new one (having to keep the leftover bits in case in the future I want that bit)
    • caronc
    • By caronc 9th Feb 18, 9:09 AM
    • 3,625 Posts
    • 23,659 Thanks
    caronc
    I think mine originally came from IKEA many moons ago, they are not high about 5ft so fit just fine in my low lean to.
    GC YTD - 391/590
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 9th Feb 18, 9:15 AM
    • 62,180 Posts
    • 363,942 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I think mine originally came from IKEA many moons ago, they are not high about 5ft so fit just fine in my low lean to.
    Originally posted by caronc
    I originally wanted Ikea Albert shelves - and immediately bought two sets when I moved here.... but they need putting together (which is a pain in the butt) - and now can only be moved whole. They also have slatted shelving, which can cause things to not sit straight - and the shelves are just held in with small screws, so you run the risk of overloading, especially if your building skills weren't great.

These plastic ones come apart if I ever wish to move them, can be split down into two halves if I wish, in a trice, will enable stuff to sit squarely and not collapse due to relying on tiny screws. They're just more flexible and robust ...shame they're black but beggars/choosers and all that. I'm sure I could find a modular system, similar, in a sustainable wood material for 400-700 if I looked hard enough These were 10, available now and up the road.

I tend to favour furniture pieces I can manage alone, without tools. I have four side/occasional tables dotted around whose legs screw off, which is great for using them, putting them back, storing them and going up and down stairs with them. They take up little space until the next time I need one of them. e.g. I use one for Xmas.

Any item whatsoever that requires TWO people will simply never fit with my lifestyle as there are never two people here.
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 09-02-2018 at 9:22 AM.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 9th Feb 18, 10:04 AM
    • 3,625 Posts
    • 23,659 Thanks
    caronc
    I originally wanted Ikea Albert shelves - and immediately bought two sets when I moved here.... but they need putting together (which is a pain in the butt) - and now can only be moved whole. They also have slatted shelving, which can cause things to not sit straight - and the shelves are just held in with small screws, so you run the risk of overloading, especially if your building skills weren't great.

These plastic ones come apart if I ever wish to move them, can be split down into two halves if I wish, in a trice, will enable stuff to sit squarely and not collapse due to relying on tiny screws. They're just more flexible and robust ...shame they're black but beggars/choosers and all that. I'm sure I could find a modular system, similar, in a sustainable wood material for 400-700 if I looked hard enough These were 10, available now and up the road.

I tend to favour furniture pieces I can manage alone, without tools. I have four side/occasional tables dotted around whose legs screw off, which is great for using them, putting them back, storing them and going up and down stairs with them. They take up little space until the next time I need one of them. e.g. I use one for Xmas.

Any item whatsoever that requires TWO people will simply never fit with my lifestyle as there are never two people here.
    Yes looking online I think my one is IKEA Albert one, my ex built it up. Modular is great , I have re-purposed old "mini greenhouse" plastic frames as staging in my greenhouse- so easy to put together and take apart when it is just you.
    GC YTD - 391/590
    • spirit
    • By spirit 9th Feb 18, 10:28 AM
    • 2,710 Posts
    • 6,135 Thanks
    spirit

Awaiting those shelves to arrive at the shop, so I can collect.... checked this morning and they're on their way, but not arrived.

http://www.homebargains.co.uk/products/7109-kis-4-tier-plus-shelf.aspx

some click n collect's are really slow. Matalan were like that when I ordered something. Messaged them on Twatter to complain and hey presto, my order arrived in store.
    Last edited by spirit; 09-02-2018 at 10:31 AM. Reason: spelling
    Mortgage free as of 10/02/2015. Every brick and blade of grass belongs to meeeee.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 9th Feb 18, 10:42 AM
    • 62,180 Posts
    • 363,942 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I just distrust ordering things you can't see and have no control over. I like being able to walk into a shop, see it and walk out with it, which is why I started by seeing them online and driving to the store (2 miles), especially as that's my shop for "favourite chocolate biscuits" and "multipacks of loo rolls" and my shampoo, so it wasn't a wasted journey as I could get those other things.... except they didn't have the unit.

When you order online and have to register you're not sure what will happen, or what you're "signing up to". It was the 7th, the current status says they were despatched on 8th ... but now what. Will they take 3 days (site indicates 1-3 days) from the 8th?

Then, how will I know? I keep checking online in "my account" so that's handy it's there, but it's lacking in information. Certainly no "Bob is the driver and your order is currently circling the M25 ... expect it Tuesday morning".

So, let's assume the shelves arrive at the store.... will they go into the system, will there be an interruption and be put to one side/forgotten.... will a numpty accidentally put them in the shop and they get sold as stock ... will the correct ones have arrived ... when I open them will it all be there/undamaged.....

I hate all that "not knowing what the end outcome will be".
    • spirit
    • By spirit 9th Feb 18, 11:04 AM
    • 2,710 Posts
    • 6,135 Thanks
    spirit

So, let's assume the shelves arrive at the store.... will they go into the system, will there be an interruption and be put to one side/forgotten.... will a numpty accidentally put them in the shop and they get sold as stock ... will the correct ones have arrived ... when I open them will it all be there/undamaged.....

I hate all that "not knowing what the end outcome will be".

it's all computerised, a list will be printed off in store. They are packaged up as click n collect (same happens in a5da) so there's no way it'll be absorbed into normal store stock.
    Mortgage free as of 10/02/2015. Every brick and blade of grass belongs to meeeee.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 9th Feb 18, 11:20 AM
    • 62,180 Posts
    • 363,942 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Click and Collect never occurs to me at supermarkets.... my local Sains used to have a van parked in the car park by a sign - I never understood it. They've recently marked out two bays for C/C well sign posted and the other day I saw somebody parking there, so watched for a bit, but was still confused. A woman/man/child parked. Man/child walked away. Woman got out of the car and I think she spoke to the machine .... after that I left, so no idea what happened in the end.

No idea if you're supposed to sit at the car and wait, or go inside, or what.
    • spirit
    • By spirit 9th Feb 18, 11:41 AM
    • 2,710 Posts
    • 6,135 Thanks
    spirit
    Click and Collect never occurs to me at supermarkets.... my local Sains used to have a van parked in the car park by a sign - I never understood it. They've recently marked out two bays for C/C well sign posted and the other day I saw somebody parking there, so watched for a bit, but was still confused. A woman/man/child parked. Man/child walked away. Woman got out of the car and I think she spoke to the machine .... after that I left, so no idea what happened in the end.

No idea if you're supposed to sit at the car and wait, or go inside, or what.

Supermarkets (or Matalan that I know of) don't keep all their stock in stores - even the larger stores, so If you've seen something online and don't see it in store, you can do the C&C. I've done a few things for my daughter's new baby. Lots of clothes they liked weren't in A5da. the Moses basket wasn't in Matalan store and had to be C&c'd. the A5da was the fastest to deliver to store. Matalan took forever.

I've not used the 'station' that they have at the 'drive in' ones (T3sco has one here too). I assume you press a button and someone from the store brings it over to you in the car.
    Last edited by spirit; 09-02-2018 at 12:11 PM.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 9th Feb 18, 11:55 AM
    • 62,180 Posts
    • 363,942 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Supermarkets (or Matalan that I know of) don't keep all their stock in stores - even the larger stores, so If you've seen something online and don't see it in store, you can do the C&C. ...
    Originally posted by spirit
    The issue I have with that as a system is that I'm rarely about - and if I am in a shop for something, then I'd like to get it then and there because I won't be around next week, or next month, to pop in again.

Also, quite often, you don't know IF you want it until you've seen it for yourself, touched it.... when you see something in real life you might just think "Yuck, didn't realise it looked like that ... didn't realise it looked so cheap ... didn't realise the edges were like that ... "

And arranging to have it sent back is then another pain in the butt etc.

If your life's used to receiving/sending parcels and you've the time to wait for drivers, or can park near a convenient Post Office and don't mind lugging stuff about, that's fine. For those unused to owning/buying goods ... who don't go in'/near Post Offices ... it's a whole new world of "rather not do that as it all sounds like a recipe for disaster and faffery".
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 9th Feb 18, 12:08 PM
    • 1,402 Posts
    • 13,774 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    If your life's used to receiving/sending parcels and you've the time to wait for drivers, or can park near a convenient Post Office and don't mind lugging stuff about, that's fine. For those unused to owning/buying goods ... who don't go in'/near Post Offices ... it's a whole new world of "rather not do that as it all sounds like a recipe for disaster and faffery".
    This is why, wherever I can I buy online from shops where you can use click and collect, because I can then collect it on a day/time suitable to me rather than wait in for a delivery. I also try to use shops online where I can return the goods to the store for an immediate refund to my credit/debit card if whatever I have bought turns out to be unsuitable.

I can't be doing with all that packaging something back up and taking it to the post office, and then in my case, stressing until I know it has been received back by the company and waiting for them to then re-credit my debit/cred card. I do find that too stressful.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 9th Feb 18, 12:23 PM
    • 62,180 Posts
    • 363,942 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Mid bath I suddenly thought .... I bet the shelves in the shed are the same sort ... (need to check) .... and I bet the reason the shelves there don't fit is because they're a 5-shelf .... and only 4 was tall enough ....

So I'm now wondering if the left over piece from the shed shelving will fit onto this 4-shelf unit.... I bet they're all the same stuff (if the same manufacturer) and they do sell 5s too....

I'll find out later this year - either when I am sorting out stuff onto the new shelves and discover the info that came with the packaging of the shed shelves (I keep everything) ... and/or when I'm next in the shed to get the mower out to cut the grass and I spot the spare shelf at the back and can compare the two and give it a go.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 9th Feb 18, 12:59 PM
    • 62,180 Posts
    • 363,942 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Having already pigged out on a fat breakfast of a thick crust, baked beans, scrambled eggs......

Lunch was a cheese omelette.

It'd have been nice to have that as a cheese omelette, chips, beans - but I've no chips ... and CBA to make my own when I was eating/acting on a whim .... and I could've put some beans on the side of the omelette, but CBA to be honest

For omelettes I don't really have "the right dish", so I am always disappointed at the size of the end result... one day I'll get a bigger dish, on a whim.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 9th Feb 18, 1:19 PM
    • 3,625 Posts
    • 23,659 Thanks
    caronc
    I've only ever used "click & collect" at Boots. Our local one is tiny so doesn't hold much stock. It worked really well and returns were to the shop so no faffing with posting if I didn't want something.

I wasn't hugely hungry for breakfast so just had the remaining two dried figs and a small handful of grapes. Consequently come noon I was wanting more than just a small crusty roll. I defrosted a small portion of the parsnip & chestnut soup and had that with my cheese and beetroot roll so my tummy has now stopped complaining

I'm swithering if I want to add leeks & peas to my fish and sauce and if I want cheesy chive mash on top. I shall ponder that while I have my afternoon snooze......
    GC YTD - 391/590
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 9th Feb 18, 2:15 PM
    • 1,402 Posts
    • 13,774 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    I couldn't decide what I wanted for breakfast this morning so decided to go for the option of scrambled eggs on toast, on the basis that it was easiest at the time . Yoghurt would have been easier but I've run out of that.

Lunch was a couple of sausage rolls left over from yesterday with some salad.

I've got a chicken casserole/stew in the slow cooker. One of those use up all the veg at the bottom of the fridge type ones. I'll have that with a jacket potato and some steamed cabbage.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 9th Feb 18, 4:26 PM
    • 6,094 Posts
    • 9,561 Thanks
    Farway
    Back again, MSE decided I had not changed my password in ages, so been having a chase around because I changed my e -mail at the same time.

Blooming cold wind today, heating turned on, too cold to sit here with numb fingers

Nothing much for me in Lild this morning, still no 1kg frozen chips in stock, however W/r have sent me 1 voucher off frozen food so I could buy some of theirs next time I'm in

Lunch was BF ham & salad sarnie, then 1/8 of my C & O pie, which I had out prepping for dinner and a bit just popped into my mouth

mid afternoon cuppa with bread + some of my vegan no anything choc spread. Not bad, would buy again but not at full price of nearly 4

I noticed, for us stew lovers, Lild have the diced beef back on offer from next Thursday. I'll be topping up, very lean and tasty last time, hope they keep the standard up

Dinner is more of the C & O pie, quite full with all the nibbling so may just be 1/8 this time, with piccalilli, and top up with bread & choc spread as required

MTSTM, listening to Gardeners' QT and James Wong reckoned Lemon Grass, grown yourself, makes good tea substitute, using the leaves. The grass stem would be to fibrous for eating when grown in UK, but leaves OK. Just a thought for an experiment this summer

I've used C & C for some items, not food, from the likes of John Lewis/ collect from W/r, Asda & Argos, all in store though, not some mystery van in the car park, I've seen them but no idea how it works. I found it very easy, and most importantly, as HH mentioned, choose own time & day. In my case early in day, easy parking & no queues
    Last edited by Farway; 09-02-2018 at 4:29 PM.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 9th Feb 18, 4:48 PM
    • 62,180 Posts
    • 363,942 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    ....still no 1kg frozen chips in stock....
    Originally posted by Farway
    It's annoying, I'm convinced they've dropped them as they were so cheap/Kg and are instead putting pricier ones up for sale. Slowly gentrifying everything....

.....diced beef back on offer from next Thursday. I'll be topping up, very lean and tasty last time, hope they keep the standard up
    Originally posted by Farway
    Me too! It flattened nicely for the freezer, taking up little space!
    • caronc
    • By caronc 9th Feb 18, 4:50 PM
    • 3,625 Posts
    • 23,659 Thanks
    caronc
    Farway - I've just had to go through the same rigamarole with my password, I thought it was because Firefox had updated so glad it's not just me.

You've certainly had your money's worth out of your C&O pie
    GC YTD - 391/590
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,368Posts Today

8,256Users online

Martin's Twitter