Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    • 3,898Posts
    • 24,849Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Three)
    • 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    Cooking for one (Mark Three) 13th Jan 18 at 8:48 AM
    Welcome to Cooking one (Mark Three), time to get a shiny new thread up and running. The link to "Cooking for one (Mark Two)" can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73708876&posted=1#post73708876

Cooking For One
    13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?
    Last edited by caronc; 13-01-2018 at 8:51 AM.
    GC - Mar £104/£150, Apr £164/£200, May £96/£120, Jun £206/£230
    GC YTD 2018- £605/£940
Page 36
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 7th Feb 18, 11:20 PM
    • 62,820 Posts
    • 368,088 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Originally posted by suki1964
    My chippy cuts them from the sack on site, on demand. No chip suppliers, nothing frozen.

He even makes his own curry sauces, pies and more. Everything there's cooked "from scratch", proper job. He's got a couple of branded items I think, as people like them (e.g. I think he also sells Pukka pies). Bit pricey though for most of his stuff.... good quality food, but not back street chippy prices, even though it's based on a council estate near an industrial estate and near the tip.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 7th Feb 18, 11:28 PM
    • 11,131 Posts
    • 29,714 Thanks
    suki1964
    My chippy cuts them from the sack on site, on demand. No chip suppliers, nothing frozen.

He even makes his own curry sauces, pies and more. Everything there's cooked "from scratch", proper job. He's got a couple of branded items I think, as people like them (e.g. I think he also sells Pukka pies). Bit pricey though for most of his stuff.... good quality food, but not back street chippy prices, even though it's based on a council estate near an industrial estate and near the tip.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew

Ours aren't frozen, cut fresh daily, hand cut, machine cut, thin cut, fat cut

We supply one restaurant alone with 400 kgs a day, twice as many in the season, they would need a huge area for that many spuds to be delivered and a lot of staff peeling
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 8th Feb 18, 12:07 AM
    • 62,820 Posts
    • 368,088 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    .... staff peeling
    Originally posted by suki1964
    I didn't think any staff ever peeled. Chip shops when I was younger used to have a machine that peeled the spuds and another that chipped the spuds.... and a peeling machine at the back. They'd tip the spuds into the peeler at the back, then bring them through a bucket at a time and tip them into the chipper, which dropped them into another bucket underneath, that was then picked up and dropped into the hot fat.

The chippy where I grew up was an old widow woman and her daughter, with a family friend who did the frying. The daughter went to Hong Kong and became a movie star (if you were into HK movies) ... although she was only in one proper/big movie it was enough to have been noticed and got a big fan following. Then she died (33 years ago now!), rumour on the street was Triads, but I've looked her up and wikipedia says suicide.... but it would say that even if it were triads
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 8th Feb 18, 12:10 AM
    • 62,820 Posts
    • 368,088 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I only went into the kitchen for a coffee.... came out clutching a big bread roll filled with a salad tomato

I did think about boiling an egg to go in there too, but the effort/time was disproportionate to the difference it'd make.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 8th Feb 18, 7:57 AM
    • 12,196 Posts
    • 76,472 Thanks
    kittie
    I haven`t eaten chips for over two years, no tempting chippy anywhere near here and I don`t use potatoes for me, too much instant sugar in spuds and I am prone to putting weight on if I see a chip

Yesterdays meals were lovely and the casserole which ended up like a chunky soup was particularly wonderful. I had the last spelt flakes this morning with dried raspberries plus one slice of toast covered in a slice of emmental

I have one filo cookfood bundle left in the freezer, goats cheese and mushroom. It looks large but flattens when cut into, so I will do a medley of carrot, cabbage and caulie to go with it. I need to keep going with berries, good for heart and eyes and will add some yoghurt

I believe I will take one of the two frozen soup/casseroles out for last meal. It turned out suprisingly good and full of goodness but most of all was very satisfying. I shall also remove some fruit pie, I need to keep at the blackcurrants before the next lot ripen
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 8th Feb 18, 8:11 AM
    • 15,870 Posts
    • 43,902 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    I "think" this is reassuring news to me - ie willpower levels (or otherwise) when confronted with food....

One benefit of my way of eating is I can't give way to "just eating" - as that's not the sort of food I have in my kitchen. So - genuine hunger in between meals will result in me grabbing something like toast, fruit, a handful of nuts - as that's basically all I have in that can be "just grabbed". Fortunately, that's not the sort of food that "calls my name" just because....

The reassuring (I think) aspect is that when I feel down I sometimes grab an alcoholic drink or two. I argue with myself that it's illogical - that I certainly don't need it and I don't even really want it - but sometimes it seems like the only way to belt "down feelings" quickly round the head. I think my willpower is getting stronger. It's either that or other people are causing less "hassle/downer incidents" (well - I've basically stopped having the local male tradespeople in for a start and that's removed a lot of downer feelings). So with the fact my neighbours-from-hell have been "behaving themselves" pretty much for a while now and I'm very rarely having workmen in - downer moods are a lot less frequent than they were. The reassuring element is thinking "Well I'm not the only one that has these downer moods - and then acts illogically because of them".

I still kick myself mentally at what might now be once or twice a week - where I might have a "downer mood" and head for a drink-or-two. The kicking myself being I don't understand why I'm acting so illogically and telling myself "I should never be so illogical as to act on downer feelings like that".

Roll on better weather - when a response to downer feelings can be something logical, eg "go for a walk" or (in this area) "go for a litter pick". Thankfully - there's been a lot of consciousness raising going on around here since I moved here and was horrified at the amount of litter here - and a noticeable number of people are now picking it up
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 08-02-2018 at 8:18 AM.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 8th Feb 18, 8:25 AM
    • 62,820 Posts
    • 368,088 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Bit of a nippy one this morning!

No idea re food. The fridge has a large portion of stew in it, two sausage rolls and some languishing beans. They'll be the first things I head for. Whether I have a dumpling will depend whether I CBA at the time of reheating the stew.

Beans on toast would appear to be the best thing to cook for breakfast as the beans need using up and I've some bread in the freezer.... that might be served with scrambled eggs as I have plenty of eggs in.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 8th Feb 18, 9:12 AM
    • 3,898 Posts
    • 24,849 Thanks
    caronc
    Good morning everyone,
    Dull but milder this morning, though we are back on snow alert this evening so to get chilly again.
    I had frozen HM chicken liver pate at Christmas so have defrosted a portion of that to have on toast before I head back to the Drs for a review.
    Last night's lasagne was lovely but boy did it make a lot. I have 3 portions left of the roasted veg, spinach and ricotta one as well as wee just roasted veg one (already frozen). That should cover my lasagne needs for a while.
    Lunch I think may well be scrambled eggs on toast (or LO garlic bread) as I'll want something quick when I get back.
    Tonight I'm going to deviate from my menu plan as I've a real notion for a giant yorkshire pudding filled with sausages & onion gravy, mushrooms and cabbage so I'll make the gratin tomorrow or over the weekend
    GC YTD 2018- £605/£940
    • Farway
    • By Farway 8th Feb 18, 9:13 AM
    • 6,249 Posts
    • 9,984 Thanks
    Farway
    Frosty start here today, now clouded over in time for me to get dragged around the shops looking for SIL pressie, the highlight is likely to be a cuppa & summat to eat

Pot of loose leaf tea with ginger marmalade on toast for breakfast
    Lunch, no idea, depends on which cafe I finish up in

Dinner, must be another 1/4 of my C & O pie, it is a tasty one though, and I reckon it will be fine cold. Probably CBA to do much more to it than eat it on it's own
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 8th Feb 18, 10:16 AM
    • 62,820 Posts
    • 368,088 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    ...giant yorkshire ...
    Originally posted by caronc
    I love those. As I make meals I tag them up if they were my favourites and I tagged all my giants last year. The tagging is so I can quickly go back and remind myself of stuff I really enjoyed.

It's easy to have something that gives you a glorious glow - then move on and simply "forget" how great it is when you make it.

Years ago there was a carvery pub across the road from where I worked and 1-2x a month we'd pop over for a bar meal.... one of the bar meals on offer was a giant yorkie filled with items from the carvery section. They served it up, you didn't go get it ... although that'd make a great twist to carvery offerings wouldn't it ... to be given an empty big yorkie that you fill yourself ... although I can see how that could present logistical issues with storage space and anticipating demand at the kitchen management level.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 8th Feb 18, 10:18 AM
    • 62,820 Posts
    • 368,088 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    ....1/4 of my C & O pie...
    Originally posted by Farway
    When I saw the photo I could see how it'd make me 6 portions - and that shape of dish wouldn't lend itself well to easy portioning it so the pieces were about the same size. That was one of my first thoughts.... but if you're cutting into 1/4s I can see how that'd be easier. But I'm very small so 1/4 would be too much

Small = 5' .... and ~8st10lbs or so (it wavers obviously)
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 8th Feb 18, 10:25 AM
    • 4,771 Posts
    • 47,173 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    I am quietly excited as I got offered lots of Nespresso compatible capsules to review for my machine. I ordered several types, as normally just one box of anything is sent to review. However, sometimes they slip up, and send a multipack. If they do, I will have 100 capsules, so providing the coffee is decent, I won't have to buy capsules for a while.

I can only buy decaff 48 or 60 capsules at a time, depending on which brand I buy (CRU Kafe or Aldi) so there's usually a stock in of those.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 8th Feb 18, 10:26 AM
    • 62,820 Posts
    • 368,088 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Originally posted by mcculloch29
    I've never had/seen any capsules/machine etc.

I use simple instant coffee granules, 200g, £1.39-£1.49/jar, one jar lasts 15 days, so it's 10p/day

I drink it black, without sugar, as I learnt over the years that, firstly, you can never have milk, milk in, milk that's not gone off, so it's easier to drink it black - and, secondly, having sugar in it's just a pain in the butt as you don't "see/enjoy" the calories in it but they're in there. It's also reduced other people's ability to serve with with super-cr4p coffees over the years as they use different milk, or different quantities of it and different sugar to me.

So I keep it simple.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 8th Feb 18, 10:27 AM
    • 12,196 Posts
    • 76,472 Thanks
    kittie
    I have stopped going to my nearest place for a roast dinner. They now only do a carvery and due to some greedy (male) pensioners, buying a child meal and piling their plates high, they only sell a child meal to an actual child. I eat less than a 9 year old boy and am not going to pay the full adult price for a small meal

outside jobs are finished, washing put away, fresh coffee drunk, eaten handful of nuts and small cold toast with jam, so now I am ready to get changed into something posher and am off to explore two attractive areas, potentials for new home. One has 2000 residents and only 2 potential homes for sale, one 3000 residents and 3 potential homes for sale. Potential as in my price range, however I discarded all of them, too much updating, too many repairs, too big, listed grades, no parking. I do however need to explore the actual areas better, however I am still being drawn back to my original area, 1.5 miles from here, much better value. I need patience, I see that 8 houses sold in this area last year and 4 the year before, so they do come up for sale. The more I look, the more I appreciate the local area rather than the land of twee expensiveness

I won`t need lunch out so will have a meal when I get back
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 8th Feb 18, 10:31 AM
    • 4,771 Posts
    • 47,173 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    I love Aldi's Specially Selected Chips, the chunky ones, strong candidates for best shop-bought chips ever.
    When I was a kid, over fifty years ago, I can remember seeing my friend's Dad sat on the step of his fish and chip shop, enjoying the morning sun and peeling spuds by hand into enamel pails, remarkably fast, though. Perhaps the machine was broken, or maybe they didn't have one.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 8th Feb 18, 10:32 AM
    • 62,820 Posts
    • 368,088 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I have stopped going to my nearest place for a roast dinner. They now only do a carvery and due to some greedy (male) pensioners, buying a child meal and piling their plates high, they only sell a child meal to an actual child. I eat less than a 9 year old boy and am not going to pay the full adult price for a small meal
    Originally posted by kittie
    I totally see where you're coming from on that one.

What I tend to do is opt for the "meat free/just a plate" option. I'll typically eat at a carvery costing £8-9 and many offer a "just a plate, no meat" choice at £1-2 less. Sometimes you do have to ask, but if you ask they will usually do it, it's just not written on the menu.

I figure that they put the (usually fatty) meat on the plate and it's buried by the food I pile on anyway .... so I'd usually be stuffed before I got that far down the plate, so I won't miss it if I simply go without the meat and save that £2
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 8th Feb 18, 10:37 AM
    • 62,820 Posts
    • 368,088 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I love Aldi's Specially Selected Chips, the chunky ones, strong candidates for best shop-bought chips ever.
    When I was a kid, over fifty years ago, I can remember seeing my friend's Dad sat on the step of his fish and chip shop, enjoying the morning sun and peeling spuds by hand into enamel pails, remarkably fast, though. Perhaps the machine was broken, or maybe they didn't have one.
    That's a lovely memory!

I was in Aldi the other day and looked at their chips, but I like the Lidl ones so held off from buying Aldi ones on the basis of "why try a new one when you're happy with the old" ... but then I got to Lidl and they didn't have my regular chips in there at all (and still no hash browns) - and the chips they did have in Lidl were much pricier per Kg than the ones I usually buy in there. So I returned home chipless and wishing I'd bought the Aldi ones.

I buy purely on type/price... I want the chunkiest chips at the lowest £/Kg, preferably in a 1Kg bag as my freezer's small. I rarely look at names/types, just "are they chunky/steak cut" and "what's the £/Kg".
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 8th Feb 18, 10:39 AM
    • 4,771 Posts
    • 47,173 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    I've never had/seen any capsules/machine etc.

I use simple instant coffee granules, 200g, £1.39-£1.49/jar, one jar lasts 15 days, so it's 10p/day

I drink it black, without sugar, as I learnt over the years that, firstly, you can never have milk, milk in, milk that's not gone off, so it's easier to drink it black - and, secondly, having sugar in it's just a pain in the butt as you don't "see/enjoy" the calories in it but they're in there. It's also reduced other people's ability to serve with with super-cr4p coffees over the years as they use different milk, or different quantities of it and different sugar to me.

So I keep it simple.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    I have instant in for those that want it, and many do. I know what you mean about black, but I need sugar/sweetener in mine, can't do without it. I usually ask for tea when out and about as a bad cup of tea is more drinkable for me than a bad cup of coffee,

I would never have bought a capsule machine, but I got offered one free to review. It was barely used for the first year or so, but since Aldi have been doing their capsules, it's been in regular use. I also have a cafetiere for ground coffee.

Tea is always Yorkshire Gold for standard and Aldi decaff tea, which is better than Yorkshire Tea decaff, I have fruit and herb teas too, plus chai, and there's usually hot chocolate. I like to offer guests a choice.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 8th Feb 18, 10:46 AM
    • 62,820 Posts
    • 368,088 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I like to offer guests a choice.
    Nobody comes here. There are no home comforts and I don't know anybody as such ... so, no guests. Just me.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 8th Feb 18, 12:47 PM
    • 3,898 Posts
    • 24,849 Thanks
    caronc
    Good afternoon,
    Back from being relieved of some of my blood and having my arm strangled
    On the way back from the Drs I remembered I had some sausage stuffing balls in the freezer LO from Christmas so I'll be having these instead of bangers in my giant YP later.
    As I wasn't out as long as I thought I'd be, I think I'll make spicy veg scramble for lunch and have that with the LO garlic bread .
    I love "proper" coffee but never really fancied one of the pod machines, though my sister got my nephew one for his Christmas and he loves it. Thankfully decent decaff filter coffee is fairly easy to get unlike instant and I have a wee one mug caffietere which is ideal. While there are lots of decaff instants I'm afraid only the Kenco one does it for me, some of the rest are just plain nasty IMHO. I drink mainly tea these days which although it has some caffiene in it, it doesn't seem to upset me as much. I need a spot of milk in both tea or coffee, though can drink it black but please don't put sugar or sweetner anywhere near my cuppa
    GC YTD 2018- £605/£940
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,691Posts Today

8,589Users online

Martin's Twitter