Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    • 3,598Posts
    • 23,524Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Three)
    • 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    Cooking for one (Mark Three) 13th Jan 18 at 8:48 AM
    Welcome to Cooking one (Mark Three), time to get a shiny new thread up and running. The link to "Cooking for one (Mark Two)" can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73708876&posted=1#post73708876

Cooking For One
    13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?
    Last edited by caronc; 13-01-2018 at 8:51 AM.
    GC - Jan18 55/120, Feb18 68/120, Mar 104/150, Apr 122/200
    GC YTD - 349/590
Page 35
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 7th Feb 18, 2:34 PM
    • 62,158 Posts
    • 363,885 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Lunch ended up being: an egg/sausage toastie with a splash of brown and TWO large handfulls of chocolate finger biscuits
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 7th Feb 18, 2:39 PM
    • 15,284 Posts
    • 42,664 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    I would tend to agree you have to be near a shop that does sufficient price reductions and it does depend rather on the locality.

I'm just glad I don't have to do this I admit - as I was wondering round a budget supermarket with my mother one time and it must have been right around a "price reduction time" and I was set to have a look. Until my mother pointed out that what were obviously "regulars" were there deliberately blocking access to anyone else and not with any very "peaceful" expressions on their faces either - and I decided it looked too "aggressive" to even try. That was probably their intention I guess - so I felt a bit of a wimp for being "frightened off" by that attitude - but didnt want to have to do "standing up for myself" just to do my weekly shopping...

Anyways - I've worked out some more recipes from current cookbook to try:

STILL THERE ON LIST FROM LAST TIME
    pesto carrot noodles with white beans and tomato
    morning grain bowls

ADDED TO LIST;
    superfood breakfast bites
    chocolate oatmeal
    Three seed crackers (with hummus and crudites I think)
    Burrito breakfast bake
    Golden quinoa tabbouleh
    Black bean burgers

Still feeling like I'm doing a lot of "catch up food learning" at the moment and telling myself I must "learn to walk before I can run" and start getting into things like sourdough bread and what do I do with teff flour for instance. When I see just how far & fast the recipes have progressed over the last few years it gets tempting to do the equivalent of A Level and degree cooking - but better finish the O Level cooking learning first I guess...
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 07-02-2018 at 2:42 PM.
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 7th Feb 18, 2:56 PM
    • 4,737 Posts
    • 47,173 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    Original post 704, reported as spam, has now vanished, hooray!
    Last edited by mcculloch29; 07-02-2018 at 5:36 PM.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 7th Feb 18, 3:22 PM
    • 6,082 Posts
    • 9,524 Thanks
    Farway
    post 704 sounds one way of saving money, free board and lodging by HM for a couple of years

Another way of saving money is as I did today, made another batch of yoghurt. I am now using UHT milk, I find it makes a thicker and creamier yoghurt, having tried both organic and bog standard prior to going UHT route

Lunch was BF ham sarnie as planned

C & O pie portioned up, 1/4 for tonight, I'll re heat it in the mini oven
    The other half will keep for a bit in the fridge until I either nibble it to bits or make a meal out of it
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 7th Feb 18, 3:44 PM
    • 4,737 Posts
    • 47,173 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    My tummy was slightly wobbly yesterday, but today I tucked in to my Golden Syrup Weetabix for brekky/brunch.
    I normally wouldn't have chosen this cereal, but it was one of the 'buy four items to get free delivery' from Amazon Pantry.

The others were some cereal bars that were four for 1.50, an air freshener refill I use, and eight cans of sugar-free Irn Bru for 2, which compares well with Heron.

I probably spent 1.50 more than I would normally spend on these items, and delivery is 3, so it was a no-brainer.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • Irenadler
    • By Irenadler 7th Feb 18, 4:15 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 580 Thanks
    Irenadler
    IreneA - have you got a garden you could grow at least a bit of food in? Even just growing a few lettuces and/or perpetual spinach or the like would help out...

There's a few foods that re-grow too - and I have a tendency to put the root section plus an inch or so of leek or spring onion in the garden (after having cut off most of it to use at that point) and then leave it to re-grow back into a full leek or spring onion for me again.

My sympathies at the Idiot Employer that thought he could tie up all 5 weekdays for the sake of just 11 hours!!!!! Cheeky ******
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    Hi MITSTM

Sorry it's taken a little while to reply - RL gets in the way sometimes....

Yes I am lucky enough to have a garden, with some fruit & herbs growing in it, and I do have a veg plot, slight snag is, the crazy dog has decided it's her favourite toilet spot, so haven't fancied growing much in it. Not sure dog doings are really good fertilizer....

I used to do gardening with OH, and with one thing and another, it's fallen by the wayside sadly. I am going to get my old seeds out and start planting again. Did alright with cut n come again leaves a while back, perfect for one as you cut just what you need and the rest keeps growing - think I will use a container for that though! Need to rig something up to stop the dog taking over the whole garden, or, at least get the veg plot off-limits....
    "...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains however improbable, must be the truth..."
    • Irenadler
    • By Irenadler 7th Feb 18, 4:19 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 580 Thanks
    Irenadler
    Now I feel I am old enough to be your father I used to do just that, leave in the morning, start new job following day. Factories always had big boards outside with jobs vacant. I really do feel for the young ones and anyone looking these days. Trouble is with the advent of AI I think there will be even fewer jobs around
    Originally posted by Farway
    Hey Farway,

I am sure you aren't that old.... You could always adopt me though! Especially as you can make pies like that!
    "...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains however improbable, must be the truth..."
    • Irenadler
    • By Irenadler 7th Feb 18, 4:27 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 580 Thanks
    Irenadler
    Hey all

Hoping you are all feeling better, and getting over the dreaded 'lurgy'....

On the menu yesterday:

Porridge, seeds, banana and blueberries.
    Thai red chicken curry with wild rice (nuked YS meal)
    Tomato soup with YS wholemeal/granary bread, yogurt.
    Snacks: apple, orange, naked bar...

Today:
    Porridge, seeds, etc.
    Thai green veg curry soup (YS - meant for 2, but had a big bowl as I didn't realize that when I bought it plus non-freezable - DOH!) & should've used it yesterday, with brown bread too. Burp....!
    Tea will be either the less appealing salad before it wizens up with jacket spud, or some pate on toast....
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 7th Feb 18, 4:27 PM
    • 62,158 Posts
    • 363,885 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I did a monster dumpling

Reheated yesterday's stew. There was about 900 grams and I considered serving 300g as a portion, but realised that I'd then have two portions remaining, one of which I'd most likely not fancy and have to freeze - so I decided to use 450g today and the other 450g tomorrow.... just to see the back of it.

It'll have therefore made four big portions. Two eaten yesterday as I was greedy ... one today and one tomorrow.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 7th Feb 18, 4:37 PM
    • 3,598 Posts
    • 23,524 Thanks
    caronc
    Good afternoon,
    Shame your shelves weren't in stock PN but at least now you've set up Click & Collect
    Irenadler - I gave up on garden beds (and grass) when I had pooches they either used them as a loo or dug them up. I grow lots of different things in tubs which generally works ok. The only things that doesn't seem to like tubs are brassicas so I avoid these.

I've been a snoozy CFOer, I felt really tired after my lunch so headed for a lie down, woke up two hours later. I do feel the better for it now though.

It's turning into a really cold and miserable night, it's lashing with rain and only 3C. I'm glad I don't have to go anywhere. I've decided just to make the lasagne tonight and leave the gratin until tomorrow incase I fancy something else for dinner. Not very oven use but I don't really care
    GC YTD - 349/590
    • Farway
    • By Farway 7th Feb 18, 6:58 PM
    • 6,082 Posts
    • 9,524 Thanks
    Farway
    I was starving so had my C & O pie dinner a bit earlier than usual, plus added slice of toast as well, just to mop up the bean juice

Now found I'm out tomorrow, traipsing round the shops getting SIL birthday pressie

At least no CFO for lunch problems, except what to choose from the menu, luckily not fussy eater so any old thing. If I were on my own I would like fish & chips out of the bag, eaten with greasy fingers, just for a change
    • caronc
    • By caronc 7th Feb 18, 7:01 PM
    • 3,598 Posts
    • 23,524 Thanks
    caronc
    I was starving so had my C & O pie dinner a bit earlier than usual, plus added slice of toast as well, just to mop up the bean juice

Now found I'm out tomorrow, traipsing round the shops getting SIL birthday pressie

At least no CFO for lunch problems, except what to choose from the menu, luckily not fussy eater so any old thing. If I were on my own I would like fish & chips out of the bag, eaten with greasy fingers, just for a change
    Have a light lunch and pop to the chippie of the way home
    GC YTD - 349/590
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 7th Feb 18, 7:05 PM
    • 1,378 Posts
    • 13,603 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Great minds think alike! I was just thinking that I fancy fish and chips from the chip shop, I haven't had any from a chippy for a good couple of years.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 7th Feb 18, 7:06 PM
    • 6,082 Posts
    • 9,524 Thanks
    Farway
    Have a light lunch and pop to the chippie of the way home
    Originally posted by caronc
    Good idea, except I'm not driving and I don't fancy arriving home with my ears well & truly bent
    • spirit
    • By spirit 7th Feb 18, 7:11 PM
    • 2,702 Posts
    • 6,135 Thanks
    spirit
    [QUOTE=PasturesNew;73844614

The thing about this shelving is[/QUOTE]

I have one of these too. It really is like giant lego
    Mortgage free as of 10/02/2015. Every brick and blade of grass belongs to meeeee.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 7th Feb 18, 7:53 PM
    • 62,158 Posts
    • 363,885 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I am lucky enough to live near a really good chip shop. The owner was previously a top chef in London/similar - and he's got two shops in this area. You get a good sized portion (you can eat half and have half the next day) for about 2 or so ..... and they're really good, old fashioned chips. Not over-greasy, not over-cooked, not mis-shapen. Just perfect.

But I never end up going there ..... I'm too tight I guess. I think "for 2 I could buy a pukka pie at the supermarket, a whole 1Kg of chips and a tin of mushy peas at Lidl and cook my own bigger meal and still have enough chips for 3 more days".
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 7th Feb 18, 8:15 PM
    • 4,737 Posts
    • 47,173 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    Pizza rosso for tea here, or 'the pizza you make when you haven't any cheese.' The base was a tortilla, as they make the quickest pizzas of all, topping was flaked mackerel (from a tin of fillets in oil), sundried tomatoes and capers on a tomato puree base.
    The tortillas were Morrisons, via my Am@zon Pantry order, these are much smaller than my usual ones from Aldi, so I ended up making two small pizzas rather than one large one.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 7th Feb 18, 8:49 PM
    • 62,158 Posts
    • 363,885 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Somebody appears to be eating all those chocolate biscuits I bought earlier (350g pack) ... nearly all gone.

Odd thing is, I don't feel that "well" .... I know it's because too much chocolate makes me feel grotty..... but I STILL found another portion disappeared from the pack.

• Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 7th Feb 18, 9:40 PM
    • 1,378 Posts
    • 13,603 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Odd thing is, I don't feel that "well" .... I know it's because too much chocolate makes me feel grotty..... but I STILL found another portion disappeared from the pack.

Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Snap I'm also suffering from self-inflicted not feeling very "well". I made a lasagne yesterday and had the remaining portion of that at lunch time with some garlic bread and salad as my main meal.

Then, there was a pack of 4 hot cross buns that kept jumping into the toaster. I had to add butter to them and eat them. All 4 of them over the course of the day and this evening.

I wish I knew why I was so hungry, and more to the point, why it was them that I fancied. They are not something I would usually eat more than one of. Although I am so very tired, that it could be because they were there and it was so easy just to toast them rather then get something else that needed more effort.

At least I had eaten a decent meal, and I did have scrambled eggs on toast for breakfast.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 7th Feb 18, 11:04 PM
    • 10,856 Posts
    • 28,864 Thanks
    suki1964
    I hate to tell you all, but I work to one of the biggest chip suppliers in Northern Ireland, so I get chip shop chips whenever I want, FOC

And omg, they are soooo scrummy. I have to be really strict with myself and only take some every couple of weeks.

I do love a good chippy chip

Can you believe that we living in the land of the spud, import spuds fron Lincolnshire to make chips with?
    if you lend someone 20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

791Posts Today

5,756Users online

Martin's Twitter